Her I

The Missing Piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stirring her cup of coffee with a tiny spoon, Harin holds the cup and moves to the other side of the bench. She is absentmindedly watching the traces of the soft smoke coming from the cup of the hot beverage when she hears the door of her guest room click.

Flickering her eyes towards the direction, the door opens, revealing a male that has just woken up with his hair disheveled. Yeonsu’s eyes are squinting as it adjusts to the bright light of the morning.

“Good morning.” Harin greets, drinking a sip of the coffee.

The male turns his head, his gaze travelling from the lounge area to the direction where he sensed the sound, the kitchen. At the sight of her, he smiles. “Morning.”

“How’s your head?” She wonders as she watches him take a seat on the dining table.

“Hurts a bit.” He answers honestly.

Walking to stand in front of him, leaning towards the chair that is sitting across him, she looks at him carefully with her both hands holding the warm cup. “You okay?”

“I’ll be fine.” Yeonsu assures.

“Why did you drink so much last night, anyway?” She asks. “It is so unlike you.”

“I don’t know.” He shrugs his shoulder, unsure himself for the reason why. “Maybe it was because I was too happy for you.”

She raises her eyebrow at the lame reason. “That I won the race?” She clarifies, only to receive a nod as a response. Though unsatisfied with such reasoning, Harin drops the subject and goes to another. She focuses on what is now. “Are you hungry?”

“A little bit.”

“Uhh… I don’t have anything to cook in my kitchen.” She admits. “But I can go out and buy you some hangover soup.”

“Is that okay?”

Harin nods. “Of course. It’s a quick drive. Won’t take me longer than ten minutes to go and get back.” She sets the cup on the table, going back to the kitchen to get her insulated tumbler from the cabinet. “Go back to bed. I promise I won’t take long.”

The entire night, Harin was restless. As a matter of fact, she started to become restless because of the unexpected presence that she met again last night.

Oh Sehun.

Bloody Oh Sehun.

Harin can pretend like Oh Sehun didn’t become a part of her life until last night. She can pretend all her life, act as though she unaffected of his presence like it doesn’t— didn’t— mean anything at all. However, deep inside, she can’t deny how affected she is of him. Harin can fool anyone and everyone but herself.

Last night’s sweet victory from the fun race was quickly replaced with shock and stupefaction the very moment she met him again. Oh Sehun is Woo Harin’s yesterday and the lady wants to keep it that way. He will only remain as her yesterday and nothing more. Regardless, whether they met the night before, he doesn’t matter to her anymore. He shouldn’t.

He should not.

But then, all the feelings that rushed through her system as soon as her facade melted down the moment she was alone, told her otherwise. Because the moment she had the time to herself alone, every time she shut her eyes dark, all the memories she had with him seeped through the canvas of her mind. All the memories she tried so hard to forget came running through the films of her mind. The memories that shouldn’t have existed in the first place are now wandering around and about, shaping her thoughts of him, of what could have been, that wouldn’t have formed in the first place if that male didn’t come forth before her eyes last night. If there was no him, it would’ve been all okay. But then, he did. And he hasn’t changed a bit.

The Oh Sehun she remembers is the still the same Oh Sehun she encountered the night before. He is still a bright and intelligent man. A man who always knew what he’s saying, who always knew what he's doing, and the one who never knew how to waste time. A man who have always worked hard to be where he is right now. He is a man some of his colleagues could hate, but that's only because he knows what he's doing. He is the perfect man in his field, or maybe even in this world but to Woo Harin, he is the most imperfect person she should be with.

The desire to deny the conflict between her heart and mind only became partly possible and partly impossible. She wants to deduce it to be the mere shock of meeting him again. But then, Harin finds herself under the light the question: Was it really?

The lady snaps out her fleeting thoughts when she feels a few taps on her shoulder. She turns to the person who gestures towards the service counter where a clerk is waiting to take her order.

Bowing politely, she excuses herself and clears to order a bowl of hangover soup. Then, after paying, she patiently waits at the side, waiting for the number on her receipt to be called.

For the past two years, so many things have changed. So many that the Woo Harin now almost can’t recognise the Woo Harin then. Because she changed so much that they are almost so different, she really can’t remember who she was few years back.

She doesn't even remember what urged her to stop seeing the man she had feelings for like no other. She knew it was wrong. Ethically. Morally. Yet, she wanted to do it so much. She wanted to see him so often. She wanted it just as much he did. But perhaps, it was because she knew it was wrong that she didn't even attempt to give the forthcoming relationship a shot. Or maybe, it was because she failed to realise that he also wanted it as much. She doesn't know for sure but to her, leaving and not giving the relationship a try is still the wisest thing she had done.

She knew better that pursuing the relationship would only mean nightmare. Not just for her but more for him.

It was the right thing to do. Or at least, that's what she believes to be.

Back at her flat, she sees that Yeonsu is standing at the lounge, turning on the TV. Her presence is noticed when the latter hears the door click.

“Hey,” the male smiles and walks up to her, taking the bag of the soup she bought for him. “Have you ate anything yet?”

Harin is taking her shoes off when she answers, “You know I don’t eat breakfast.”

“Or dinner.” He adds.

The lady smiles and goes to the kitchen to grab a glass, a spoon and a bowl to transfer the soup to. She heads to the kitchen and takes the seat of the sofa, adjacent to where Yeonsu is sitting.

“Last night was fun, wasn’t it?” Yeonsu recalls, remembering the events of last night.

With a tiny smirk, Harin raises her eyebrow, “Which part?”

He knows that he’s teasing when he pretends to be oblivious, “What do you mean?”

Hitting his thigh, she says, “Stop pretending to be all innocent, Mr Yi.” Then, she huffs sarcastically, “And please, lay down with the weights. You’re so heavy.”

Yeonsu leans forward, close to her countenance. With a cheeky smile, he asks, “Why, did you have a hard time carrying me last night?”

At that, Harin cups his chin with her one hand while pushing him back to the couch as she stands up. She traps his body between her legs as her knees are resting over the sofa, his thighs in between. Their faces are so close. “Yes.” She stresses. “Can’t believe you made me carry you last night.”

“Come on,” There is a wide grin on his face, “it wasn’t that bad.” He insists, resulting for the lady to just roll her eyes at him.

Seeing that, he throws his head back, chuckling which paves opportunity for her to sit next to him, her legs crossed as she props her face with her fist with the elbow resting on the side of her knee. However, he leans forward again and grabs her hand. He gently massages it and smiles, now a bit sorry.

“I’m sorry.” He says sincerely. “It won’t happen again.”

Harin shakes her head. Then, she places her other hand on top of his hands that are holding hers. “It’s fine.” She softly replies. “Better me than other people.”

“Chaeri is so keen to see you.” Yeonsu informs as he scrolls through all of the messages he received just from one person.

Harin, who is washing the dishes he used, turns her head. “What do you mean?”

“She flooded me with so many messages.” He says, showing the screen of his phone to her. “She told me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter