Chapter Two

Your Shelter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Damnit, Big John," Yongsun whispered under her breath, "Absolute perfect timing, Bub." She and Wendy walked swiftly alongside each other, making their way to Big John. The lovable Pitbull mix had been left at the front door of the shelter with a bone fracture in his right front leg 6 months ago. While the fracture had healed properly, and Big John had gotten the care he needed, he occasionally limped, which in the beginning, concerned Solar. However, over time, she began to suspect that Big John had come to understand that when he limped, Solar would rush to his side to make sure he was okay.

"I know, dude, he interrupted your eye- with that lady. Very important, how dare he." chided Wendy with a playful grin on her face.

Yongsun felt herself turning red. "Oh, shut up. She's pretty is all."

"Yeah, pretty ing hot Solar, I'm not blind." Yongsun rolled her eyes as she reached Big John's cage.

"Okay, buddy, what's up? What is so important that I just had to come back here?" Solar said playfully as she lifted the lock and stepped into Big John's kennel. John wagged his tail incessantly as his favorite caretaker stepped into his kennel. At this point, John had perfected his routine so much so that when Yongsun knelt beside him to have a look at his leg, he immediately lifted his paw for her to look at. After gently applying pressure up and down his leg, Yongsun suspected that she had been had by Big John yet again.

"How about we go for a walk, Big boy?" Yongsun asked the Pitbull while hugging him, to which he jumped up, let out a loud bark, and began pacing the kennel. The sudden movement from the excited boy had knocked the already kneeling girl right onto her . But noticeably, Big John no longer had a limp in his walk at this point, and that's all that mattered. "You big oaf, you're lucky you're too damn cute to be mad at."

After John's walk, Wendy and Yongsun's orchestrated dinner routines (with Wendy feeding the dogs and Solar on cats today), the other staff members began to get the dogs and cats ready for the night by laying down blankets, topping off water buckets, and the like. Solar loved this time of day because the steady barking would die down, the meowing would turn into light kitty snores. But mostly, Solar loved it because she finally had a minute to breathe and process the events of the day without worrying over customers.

Yongsun looked down at her desk to review the pile of applications that she had gotten through the course of the day. Applications were serious to Yongsun and she made sure to go through the methodically.

"Solar, if you focus any harder, I'm afraid your head might explode sis," Wendy said laughing lightly while leaning on the door frame of Yongsun's office. Solar smiled and rolled her eyes. She looked up from the papers to the clock to see that it was already past 8 at night. She had been going through applications for nearly 3 hours.

"God, Wendy, if you wouldn't have come in here I probably would have sat here all night. You know how I get with these apps."

"Yeah, ridiculous," the both laughed. "So, where's your lady's application? Did you get her number from it yet?" Wendy's mischievious smile let Solar know that she was teasing her about her obvious attraction for the mysterious woman that she'd seen earlier in the day.

"Shut the hell up and go home already," Yongsun laughed as she shooed Wendy away.

"Say no more, boss lady. See you tomorrow!" Wendy left wearing her pretty smile that always made Yongsun grin. Wendy was such a sunshine soul, the type that made you happier just to be around, she easily made her way to the very top of Yongsun's extremely short

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter