Chapter One

Your Shelter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At 23 years old, Kim Yongsun prided herself in being the manager of her local humane society. With a deep rooted passion for animals, as well as the knowledge that comes from being around them for all of her life, she couldn't think of a better fit for her. She had started at the shelter when she was still in high school, and even at 16 years old, the previous manager could tell the Yongsun was passionate about her work with the animals.

A typical day for Yongsun was waking up at 6, getting ready for the day, and heading to the shelter, where she would sometimes stay overnight if a new, fightened animal had been dropped off that day. Yongsun could always recognize the fear and anxiety in newcomers to the shelter, and made it a part of her job to stay overnight with the animal in her office to help them acclimate to their surroundings. All of the employees at the shelter loved Yongsun and her sweet, yet firm, nature. Yongsun had learned the hard way early on in her career that to be an advocate for animals, she would have to be resolute where the well-being of her animals were concerned.

Though the shelter had more than enough volunteers, Yongsun made sure that only the ones who truly cared about the animals (not just those there to play with the dogs to write it down on the 'volunteer experience' section of their college resumes) were the ones to provide the most care for them. Additionally, all employees would shadow her for a week so that she could ensure they were there for the right reasons and not just a paycheck. Some considered her ridiculous for how much she cared about her job, but in the shelter world, it was well known that nobody could do it better than Kim Yongsun.

"Wow, you're just amazing to be doing this kind of work. It really takes someone special to work with these poor animals."

As Yongsun tried to wave away her annoyance and muster some kind of thanks, the woman in front of her kept droning on about how sad and abandoned the animals must feel. While Yongsun understood that the people who said these things (which she heard numerous times a day) meant well, it was always frustrating to her that these same people didn't typically volunteer, donate supplies, or adopt animals. Additionally, it angered her that everyone felt that the animals in the shelter needed so much pity. The animals were surrounded by love from volunteers and staff at the shelter, and were well exercised and taken care of. Yes, Yongsun didn't love to see them locked in kennels, but she also knew feeling pity for them wasn't going to change their situations in any way.

As Yongsun feigned interest as the woman continued to share all her thoughts and opinions on the shelter animals, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Being prone to flinching, Yongsun quickly pulled away and turned her head to find who the hand came from.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you or interrupt, but I wanted to ask you about this cat over here. The white fluffy one. Oliver, I think is his name?"

Yongsun was momentarily lost for words. The voice directed at her was too smooth, and the body that matched it was slim and confident, topped with long tousled blonde (almost silver) hair. Not one to typically be so flustered by such a simple interaction, Yongsun quickly reigned herself in.

"If you'll excuse me for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter