Chapter one

The Colour Of Your Heart

‘Run, Chanyeol, run.’ The smaller boy screamed, holding his hands up in defence. ‘I’ll stop them so you can be safe.’ Chanyeol looked at the boy whose hair was a stunningly light-blonde colour. He looked like an angel. Compared to him, Chanyeol was the devil. That wasn’t a lie. His red hair peaking up like flames. ‘Are you crazy? You will get yourself killed! Why would you sacrifice yourself for a demon like me?’ Chanyeol’s voice was shaking with anger. The smaller boy looked up with a small genuine smile and spoke: ‘because I love you.’

 

Every day, Chanyeol would wake up from the same dream. A boy, telling Chanyeol to run away from a great danger, while the other boy sacrifices his own life. Chanyeol can’t get that dream out of his head, until he finds out who that boy is.

 

The sun lit up the charcoal-coloured room. Burned wood was turned into ashes. The smell of the fire was still lingering around, making Chanyeol cough heavily. The morning wind blew through the now open room. It sends shivers down Chanyeol’s spine. It was just a dream. His clock proved it. It was 6 AM in the morning. He has had this dream for a while now. Ever since he turned 20. Chanyeol looked around. His room was almost completely burned down. Only his bed and nightstand were spared. Every night, Chanyeol would wake up with the same dream. His bedroom would be burned down completely. Luckily, he could undo the damage to his room. Fire is his power.

 

Realising that he wouldn’t have much more sleep, Chanyeol stepped out of bed. He raised his arm, his hand opening and turning it so his palm was facing his face. The ashes flew around the room, like snowflakes falling from the sky. All the flakes were drawn to his hand until no flake was left. His room was cleaned, as if nothing had happened.

 

A sudden familiar odour made Chanyeol’s nose scrunch up. His pyjamas were soaked and stuck to his body. Sweat was the smell Chanyeol reeked of. ‘I should probably take a shower’, Chanyeol murmured to himself.

 

 

School was usually a place where Baekhyun wouldn’t feel at ease. He hated his old high school and going to school in general. He was just… different. And people would remind him in every possible way. Most of the times, he was just ignored or being left behind. That wasn’t too bad if Baekhyun was honest. The physical abuse was what Baekhyun hated the most. When people would kick him to the ground and tell him to go kill himself. Baekhyun hoped the earth would swallow him whole. That, unfortunately, never happened.

 

Baekhyun resented being a 20-year-old. Until he has received his wings, he has to go through his own living hell. He couldn’t wait until that day would finally come. Then, he will be able to escape this world.

 

Baekhyun hoped his first day of his new school would be different. He chose music as his major. Music was the only thing that helped Baekhyun survive his schooldays. He hoped that his major would be filled with nice people that wanted to be friends with Baekhyun. Maybe this time people would treat Baekhyun better. Baekhyun loved the thought of having a friendship, even though he had never experienced one. He kept on hoping he would, perhaps one day his dream will come true.

 

Baekhyun thoughts disappeared into thin air as soon as the alarm bell of his phone started ringing. His head yanked up. ‘, I’m late.’

 

 

Chanyeol ran to his bus while trying not to trip over his shoelaces. Why did he have to watch another episode of One Punch Man. He felt anger starting to burn inside as he blamed himself. His red eye growing darker each second. ‘Chanyeol, act normal. Come on.’ He tried to calm down his anger. He didn’t need any more staring than the usual. His ember-coloured hair gave people reason enough to stare at him and make comments behind his back. He didn’t need any more of them.

 

The doors of the bus started slowly closing. ‘Wait for me!’ Chanyeol screamed while waving his arms through the air hoping the bus driver would notice him. As he was waving his arms, he didn’t notice a smaller boy running from the opposite direction. They ran in to each other, their heads crashing against one another. Chanyeol fell down, grabbing the smaller boy by the arm. Chanyeol was met with the hard stone path. The smaller boy fell on top of him. Chanyeol grunted in pain. When he opened his eyes, he saw the other boy stare directly in to his eyes. Chanyeol noticed the pale blue-coloured eyes slowly grew darker to a stormy grey colour. The stormy grey eyes stared back at him, until a faint sound broke their stare. The bus drove off, slowly disappearing into the woods.

 

‘You ing idiot. Look what you have done. Now I’m going to be too late.’ The smaller boy sneered at him. He pushed himself up until he was standing again. ‘ME? You are the one that crashed into me!’ Chanyeol yelled back. He felt his anger starting to boil inside him. He knows that he shouldn’t be angry, but he just can’t help it. ‘You are the ing idiot here!’ He felt his eye becoming red again, but Chanyeol didn’t care. ‘If you didn’t crash into me, I wouldn’t have missed the bus, . YOU ING LOSER, BASTARD, SON OF A BI…’ Chanyeol was cut off by the other. ‘Woah, relax dude. You don’t have to be so angry. We just missed the bus. It’s not as if it is the end of the world. And by the way, YOU grabbed ME by the arm. Not the other way around. So, it’s your fault, really.’ The smaller one chuckled.

 

If Chanyeol wasn’t already fuming by then, he sure was now. His red eye was literally glowing. The other boy noticed. ‘What’s with your eye? Do you wear contact lenses?’ Chanyeol blinked and looked at the other questionably as the other stepped closer to Chanyeol, inspecting Chanyeol’s ember-like eyes. Chanyeol felt his cheeks burn up. He quickly turned his head away from the other boy and muttered ‘Yeah, something like that.’ ‘Okay, let’s just forgive and forget, shall we?’ The smaller boy held his hand up to Chanyeol who hesitatingly accepted. ‘My name is Baekhyun, by the way.’ He smiled a little smile that made Chanyeol heat up again. ‘Chanyeol.’ The red-haired boy answered. ‘Well, let’s go before we are too late for our first period. We wouldn’t want that on our first day of university, right?’ Baekhyun let out a little laugh. ‘Right.’ Chanyeol said softly. His eyes avoiding Baekhyun’s gaze. He was still upset with Baekhyun. Baekhyun chuckled and turned around to walk towards the university. Chanyeol followed quickly behind.

 

 

After what felt like an hour of walking, Chanyeol and Baekhyun arrived at their first period, which they both shared. They arrived too late, so they had to sit in the back of the room. Two boys were making out instead of paying attention to their professor. Chanyeol wanted to throw up. Why did he have to run in to that Baekhyun kid. He wouldn’t have to sit here, watch two boys eating each other’s faces if he made it to the bus in time. Chanyeol wasn’t the only one annoyed with his seat. Baekhyun wasn’t too pleased either with seat in the back. Now he couldn’t concentrate on what the professor was telling them. He wished this would be over soon.

 

‘You know, if you didn’t crash in to me, we wouldn’t have to sit here.’ Chanyeol hissed at Baekhyun. ‘Well, if you weren’t late this morning, we wouldn’t even have met. Let alone, be late.’ Baekhyun shot back. This made Chanyeol annoyed. ‘Oh please, you clearly bumped into me and you also fell on top of me.’ Chanyeol was getting more irritated by the minute. ‘Jerk.’ Baekhyun simply said back. ‘What did you just call me?’ Chanyeol’s face was full of shock. ‘You heard me…jerk.’ Chanyeol felt heat spreading through his body. His eye became blurry. All he saw was a red blur. ‘You take that back.’ He breezed. Baekhyun just stuck his tongue out.

 

That was it. Chanyeol’s anger took over and he started attacking Baekhyun, pushing him on the ground. The classroom fell silent. ‘Take that back, you .’ Chanyeol screamed. Baekhyun didn’t say anything. Instead, he tried to turn Chanyeol over.

 

‘Boys, if I were you, I’d stop immediately or else you have to go to the principle.’ The professor spoke. Chanyeol and Baekhyun continued their fight. They didn’t even hear what the professor said. ‘DETENTION BOYS.’ With that, both Chanyeol and Baekhyun looked up to see their professor staring at them with anger in his eyes. Both of the boys stood up and bowed in apology to their professor. ‘Since it’s the first day of school, I will not send you away but if you ever think of fighting again, be sure to know that you WILL be send away.’ Chanyeol and Baekhyun nodded and returned to their seats.

 

Lunchbreak felt like heaven. Chanyeol had rushed out of the classroom after the first period had ended. There was an uncomfortable ambiance in that room. Especially next to Baekhyun. He didn’t like the boy.

 

‘Chanyeol, long time no see!’ Chanyeol turned around, seeing a familiar face. ‘Kyungsoo, I didn’t know you were enrolling in this university as well.’ Kyungsoo smiled. ‘You would have seen me if you weren’t late for the first period.’ ‘Wait, you were there too? You chose a music major?’ Chanyeol couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He always had a little crush on Kyungsoo since the beginning of high school. Not that the shorter owl-like boy ever noticed anyway. ‘Yeah, I chose music as my major so I can be a singer.’ Kyungsoo smiled a cute smile that made Chanyeol’s stomach flutter. Chanyeol’s mouth formed into a cheeky grin. ‘We can be friends, right?’ ‘Of course!’ Kyungsoo smiled brightly. He wanted to make some friends since he went alone to this university.

 

‘Let’s grab a seat. I’m starving.’ Kyungsoo said, making the taller one laugh.

 

 

Baekhyun looked around the cafeteria. Normally, he would sit by himself but today he wanted some company. Baekhyun wanted to make a fresh start at the university. The morning wasn’t so great to begin with, but Baekhyun felt like he still had a chance to make friends. After all, no one knew who he was and no one knew he was a little different than most of the students here.

 

‘No way in hell that you can beat me. I’m the fastest runner the world has ever known.’ ‘Chen, everyone knows that Usain Bolt is the fastest runner and no one can beat him.’ A boy with deer-like eyes said. Chen grinned. ‘Oh honey, I’m faster than lightning.’ And with that he ran towards the doors, storming through the halls of the school. Baekhyun had to give it to him. That Jongdae kid was a fast runner.

 

‘I’m sorry you have to experience my friends being so dramatic. I hope you don’t mind them.’ Baekhyun turned around to see a boy with high cheekbones walking towards him, smiling a small smile. Baekhyun smiled back. ‘It must be nice, having such friends.’ ‘Oh please, they can be such a pain in the sometimes.’ The boy with the high cheekbones laughed. ‘But they are indeed great friends.’ Baekhyun looked at his feet. He wished he had friends too. ‘Hey, you wanna join us? You were also in professor Kim’s class, right?’ Baekhyun nodded. ‘Great, we’re all music majors then. I’m Xiumin.’ ‘Baekhyun’. Baekhyun placed his tray down on the table and took a seat next to Xiumin. Xiumin’s friends introduced themselves to Baekhyun. Luhan, Kris, Suho and Lay all said hi to Baekhyun and promised to be friends.

 

‘Maybe this wasn’t so bad after all.’ Baekhyun thought.

 

 

A/N: Hii everyone :) Thank you all for reading this! It's my first fanfic and English isn't my first language so I was struggling quite a bit to write the story. I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter. I will try to update as fast as possible!

 

Please subscribe and upvote my fanfic to share it with more fans! :)