Part 3

Wish Tree

A/N: So I didn’t finish my other story yet, but I did want to post up the last part to this one. If anyone has any stories they want to see come to light with these characters please let me know! Sometimes simple things send me into a whole creative frenzy (hence this story) I have some old ideas I might revisit too. But enjoy! Oh! Fair warning...I went a little liberal with the real world rules in this one so try to take it with a grain of salt. Okay NOW Enjoy! 

 

 

“Tree!”

 

“Yes Hannah it IS a tree. Good job.” The toothless three year old smiled at me. Little Hannah may not have been biologically related to Tae and Tiffany, but if ever someone was the perfect mix of two people, it was Hannah. She was on the shorter side, the biggest eye smile you would ever see, and adorable dimples to boot. She laughed like Tiffany (which I still think is a blessing) and ate sweets like Taeyeon.

 

“Banana!”

 

“Hannah!” the three year old exclaimed when she heard a familiar voice. Joohyun picked her up before giving me a kiss on the nose.

 

“How are Wannie and Banana doing? Did we pick a tree?” Hannah and nodded together, wide smiles on both of our faces. “Okay let’s go pay!” I looked on as they both went to the counter, I touched my wedding ring spinning it around. Joohyun and I married almost two years ago, Hannah was no older than one when it happened. Unlike normal, this year we were in Canada for Christmas. After a lengthy process, Yeri decided that a Christmas at home, for some odd reason, would be better than a Christmas abroad. The snow was lighter than Canada was used too, making it one of the warmer winters I had lived through.

 

“Aunt Wendy!” I looked up to see Joohyun walking back with the lumberjack and Hannah, I snatched her up and held onto Joohyun’s hand. We watched as he picked it up and carried it over to the car that we had waiting for us. Seulgi was waiting in the pick up, trunk propped open waiting for the tree.

 

“Nice pick. Did Hannah choose?” Hannah nodded before hopping into the car and settling in her car seat. “It’s fluffy. Let’s get a move on I have a baby waiting.”

 

***

 

We reached the house in no time. The staff was ready to take the tree and set it up in the living room before we decorated it. Joy sat at the bottom of the stairs, flushed and pouting. Seulgi rushed to her, wrapping an arm around her and the checking on the baby in her arms.

 

“What happened?” Seulgi asked giving her a once over.

 

Joy looked at her and sighed again. “We got lonely.” Seulgi gave a chuckle before kissing her head. She reassured her that she was back now.

Finding out that Joy was expecting was rather, abrupt. When she and Seulgi went to visit Yeri in Europe, it seemed that they were rather enamored with different things. While the original intention was to have Joy realize that she and Seulgi maybe something more than friends, she ended up at the bad end of a one night stand. It wasn’t something that affected their eventual realizations, Joy pretty much felt awful after it and told Seulgi she couldn’t hold back her feelings, and they eventually fell in love right after.

 

The real problem came with the unexpected pregnancy. It seems as though fate wanted to complicate their relationship more. They found out together, both going to Joohyun’s cousin Yoona, an amazing doctor  with an immaculate reputation. Seulgi never seemed to falter in her love and support. The night she was told she told Joy what we all already knew, that nothing would make her love her any less. So they returned to England, and found the man Joy spent her night with. Samuel was an established lawyer, who had been down over some unfortunate news. The night he ran into Joy seemed to be his night of drowning his sorrows over the news that he developed cancer.

 

In the continuing days, Seulgi, Joy, and Sam, as we came to call him, bonded. Samuel profusely apologized, he wasn’t sure if he would live to see his child born, but he and Seulgi seemed to have an immense brother sister dynamic. In the end he asked that Joy sign Seulgi as their child's second parent and to give it her last name, something Seulgi found incredibly touching. Kang Minho was born in February this year, he was given his father’s english name so he would always have a piece of him. Samuel passed away when Minho was only three months old, leaving Seulgi, Joy and baby Minho a series of letters and funds that they could use.

 

“Come to umma baby Minho!” Seulgi picked him out of Joy’s arms and kissed his nose as he gave a laugh. He was a handsome boy, who actually took after Joy more than his late father. Hannah tugged on Seulgi’s jacket, trying to glimpse the baby’s face. “Come on Hannah Banana, lets give you and Minho a nice snack okay?” Seulgi and Joy took both kids into the kitchen disappearing.

 

“Do you want a kid Wan?” I looked at Joohyun, her expression still on the people who walked through the door. We hadn’t had a baby break since the Christmas we were engaged. As we welcomed the New Year, Hannah Kim joined the family, a tiny two month old girl, who we babysat regularly. When she reached two, Samuel Kang Minho joined her as the baby in the family. “Because I do…” She looked back at me with a shy expression, blush adorning her cheeks.

 

“Well, we can start looking into it.” I said with a smile. She gave me a more pointed look. We started looking around two months back, totally under the radar. My Christmas gift for Joohyun this year was the news I had received earlier this month. There was a girl who perished in an accident, she left behind a baby who was very touch and go. Yoona was actually the one who recommended us when she found out that the baby would be going into the system. Joohyun and I met her multiple times, and Joohyun was immediately taken with her. She was the most precious thing on this planet in my opinion. Tiny, but a fighter.  

 

The choice to start submitting was actually Joohyun’s, which is probably why she wanted the reassurance that I was as interested as she was. What she didn’t know was that Yoona gave the all clear for the baby to come home, as in our home. I had the room already done in Korea while we spent time here in Canada, and I had a nursery set up in our conjoined room upstairs.

 

“I know love, we will contact the  hospital later. How is that?” Joohyun gave a smile and nodded. I held her closer, my heart racing. Today we will become parents.

 

***

 

I told her I was going to pick up another gift. In reality I wasn’t lying, but right now I was in the car with Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Yeri, the only people who I trusted with this secret.

 

“Breath Wendy, can’t hold a baby if you are passed out.” I gave her a pointed look in the rearview mirror. Tiffany smacked  her, a mischievous smile still on her face as she turned back around. Between Yeri and I say an empty car seat, one I kept bumping with my leg.

 

“Seriously Wendy, try to relax.”

 

“Oh sorry, I am just, you know, BECOMING A PARENT.” I snapped at Yeri. She muttered under her breath, ‘A nervous one at that.’ I gave a deep breath in order to stop the shaking. We pulled into the hospital pick up lane as I got off. Car seat in  hand, nervous smile, and yet excitement coursing through me.

 

“Can’t hand you a baby if you are shaking Wendy.” Yoona appeared with Joohyun, Seo not Son, and gave me a smile. “Here she is.” She had her brought in by the nurses, my baby girl already so acutely aware that she was gonna go home to her moms. I leaned over and saw her look up at me, she gave me a smile when I gave her my finger and tear welled in my eyes.

 

“Hello baby girl. I’m your Mommy. We have to get you to Umma soon okay?” I felt everyone’s eyes on me, before Yeri went up to the baby.

 

“Call me Katy kid.”

***

 

I couldn't take my eyes off of her the whole ride back. Yoona, Seo Joohyun, and our friend Yuri were all tailing us, taking us up on our offer to have a massive Christmas party. My baby was dressed in the most delicate blue, dainty and quiet as ever. She gained a lot of weight since we first saw her in the hospital that day and I wanted nothing more than for Joohyun to see her. I stormed into the house, baby car seat in  hand, and turned to our den. I sat down and pulled her out, cradling her in my arms.


“Hyun! Joohyun!” I said aloud. I heard a loud grunt of acknowledgement from the kitchen. “Son Joohyun please come into the den! I have a massive surprise for you!”

 

She took her time in coming over. I heard the shuffling and the footsteps, each one driving my heart into an even more accelerated rate. When she got to the entrance she stopped. “Seungwan. Why are you cradling a child…” I gave her a motion to come over and peak. When she was able to recognize the baby I saw her eyes well up and look up to me. “Is that...is she?”

 

“As of one hour ago officially a Son.” Yoona and the rest of the people entered the den as well. Joohyun looked around, taking in that the child was indeed hers. I handed her over, tears in my own eyes as I looked at her and our newest addition. With all the overwhelming emotion, all I did was wrap my arm around her and press a kiss to each forehead.

 

“I asked Yoona to give us a reference so that we could be first in lines to adopt her. I wanted to surprise you.” Joohyun turned to me, the eyes I loved so much bright and shining, she gave a beaming smile before pressing her head to my cheek.  “I’m sorry I was so secretive about it, I just wanted you to be reassured that I wanted this just as much.”

 

She pulled away before giving me a sweet kiss, and the bumping my nose. “You are wonderful. Also I am curious as to how many loopholes you used to pull this off, but I am so bewildered that I can’t even say anything.”

 

Everyone gave a fierce laugh at her comment. Saeron, Joy, and Seulgi all coming to see what the noise was. They all had a mix of shock and excitement, Joy because she was more than happy that Minho would have someone else to play with, and Saeron because she wanted to be the most devoted Aunt ever. Baby Minho crawled out of his mother’s arms to see who Joohyun was holding. His charming laugh rang out as her had Joohyun crouch down and he saw the baby girl. In turn he leaned and gave her a peck on her cheek, prompting a smile from the cheeky little girl.

 

“You know…” Seulgi began with a mischievous tone. We all looked over to see what she could possibly find so amusing. “One day, I think that she might just become a Kang.” Joohyun gave a deep laugh, along with the rest of the room.

 

“My daughter won’t date until she is 30. So I hope you son will wait that long.” My response warranted an even deeper laughter to spread around.

 

“TaeTae is the same way! Yuri and Jessica’s daughter walked in holding Hannah’s hand once and she had a full blown panic attack!” Yuri nodded in support while Taeyeon just rolled her eyes a bit.

 

“Keep you kid away from my angel Kwon.”

 

“Hannah kissed Mel first Taeyeon.” Taeyeon eyes widened before she ran upstairs to check on her daughter. Tiffany and Yuri were both still laughing as the followed suit.

 

“So...what’s her name Wendy?” Yeri and Saeron sat on the couches awaiting the announcement. Yoona and Seo Joohyun leaned on the wall also waiting with amused expressions.

 

“Joohyun named her. She kept wishing for a child, and one day it came to me. So guys, this is Mia Son Eunbi.”

 

They all cooed as they got closer to her. Wanting to call her by her official name. I glanced over at Joohyun as she allowed everyone to take a peek at the beautiful girl wrapped in a purple blanket.

 

***

 

The rest of the time was spent cooking, and once Jessica and Melody show up,  having the kids meet and interact. When we all sat for a late dinner, having all four kids passed out in the den right by our dining room.

 

The festivities piled high, we talked, discuss plans for the future, which led to a surprising reveal.

 

“We are gonna move here,” said Seulgi. Everyone looked surprised to say the least. In the end Taeyeon and Tiffany were of a similar mindset, opting to keep Hannah in Canada and vacation in Korea.

 

“I think we should move over to Canada Wan-ah.” We all looked over to Joohyun, confused as to why she would want that right now. “Well I just think that Eunbi would be better off here. She can have a diverse environment. I gave her a nod of acknowledgment.

 

“Whatever you want love.”

 

We moved over to our den again, Baby Eunbi drinking from her bottle, staring at me with her deep brown eyes. Joohyun leaned and out her chin at my shoulder, staring down the little girl with a bright smile.

 

Everyone seemed into whatever they were doing, Saeron and Yeri discussing careers in and out of Europe, Yuri, Jessica, Yoona, and Seo Joohyun discussing expansions in business. Taeyeon and Tiffany entertaining Hannah, Melody, and Minho, and Seulgi and Joy taking in the scenes.

 

“Seungwan.” I turned to my head and immediately had Joohyun’s nose touching mine. “Thank you. I love you, I am so glad I wished for you every year.”

 

Her words sent my heart racing, I gave her an equally bright smile and kissed her deeply. The fussing baby pulled us apart and Joohyun took her from me to burp her. “Thanks love. I’m glad I made Sooyoung come to dinner that day.”

 

I suddenly felt the air chill, Joohyun’s expression turning solemn. “Sooyoung? What happened to calling her Joy?”

 

“Unnie!” I turned to look at Joy with widened eyes. “Why would you say that! Haven’t we warned you that Irene unnie is beyond jealous!” I gave everyone a confused look. It seemed that they all had a slightly terrified expression in some way.

 

“You are exaggerating.” Joohyun said with an eye roll.

 

“Oh exaggerating?” Tiffany started. “The year I met Joohyun, she had known Wendy a couple months, and I assume she hadn't known much about me and Taeyeon yet. They were no older than 14 at the time and I showed up and walk right into Wendy’s room.” All of us played close attention, while Joohyun silently put Eunbi in her rocker.

 

“So I walk in, because I have known Wendy since she was probably 6, and sit on her bed and start to discard my belongings. Unbeknownst to me, Bae Joohyun, in all her glaring glory, is sitting in Wendy’s lazy boy staring at me. I let out a scream and Wendy races into the room shouting ‘Joohyun!’ and sees me in the room too. Confused as to what’s happening, all Wendy does is stare back and forth. Joohyun comes up behind her and wraps arms around Wendy’s shoulders from behind and mutters into her neck ‘Who is she?’ She had the scariest expression of my life! She looked at her the way I used to look at Sunny’s sister Sunmi when she would be around TaeTae. That’s when I knew that she was very much interested.”

 

“She made me keep an arm’s length away from Wendy at all times in high school.” I looked at Seulgi completely surprised.

 

“She nearly kicked me out during Christmas!” Joy exclaimed. “That year that Wendy unnie took me in? I walked out of the washroom and find them wrapped up together right? I thought nothing of it since unnie literally never shuts up about Wendy unnie, but she gives me a DEATH stare. And I do mean bury my six feet under kind of stare. Then I offer for Wendy unnie to bunk with me, mostly to see if Irene would tear into me, and she just enforces that unnie will be ‘sleeping with her’ and Seul takes me out of that situation.”

 

By the end of Joy’s story, everyone was laughing, including me. I felt Joohyun hiding in my neck, shying away from everyone’s horror stories of her jealousy. “Oh love, considering  how much we tiptoed around each other, I say these aren’t that bad to listen to.” She pulls up and smiles at me, giving me a kiss before turning back and giving everyone a glare.

 

As we get deeper into the night, we make it back to my old bedroom, we put Eunbi in her crib and slide into bed. I pull Joohyun close to me, wrapping her up and having her toss her arm around my body. I looked around and was suddenly reminded of something. A position all too similar to this one, same girl, same feeling, same room, albeit we were much younger and more inexperienced.

 

“Love?” I felt her hum in acknowledgment. “Remember our first-” I felt a hand suddenly slap onto my mouth.

 

“If you finish that statement, i’ll kick you out of this bed.” I gave her a chuckle and kissed her forehead, shutting my eyes. A kiss on my lips startled me, the deepening of it relaxed me. When we pulled away she leaned back into my neck, “But yes,” she whispered, “I remember. I am glad that I only had you.”

 

“I’m your only one love? Well isn’t this awkward...” I asked her with a teasing smile. She gave me a huff and began unwrapping herself before I pulled her back in. “I’m joking,” she gave me another huff before a looked at her. “I wished for  you every year Son Joohyun, I loved you since we were 14, and now, 13 years later, I still wish for you every year.” Our eyes welled up, both knowing how much we truly loved each other, Eunbi’s cry was what made us look over. Putting her pacifier back in mouth, I got back into bed, and closed my eyes.

 

“Night Wannie,” Joohyun whispered sleepily.

 

“Goodnight love.”