Ce n’est pas la mer à boire

l'esprit de l'escalier
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sohye burst through the front door of her home and kicked off her shoes. She sprinted up the stairs without even saying hello to her mother that was preparing dinner in the kitchen.

"Sohye?" Jung Joori called out her daughter's name in concern. The loud slam of the bedroom door made Joori frown. "Did something happen at school today?" She questioned Jaehyun, who was neatly tucking his and Sohye's shoes away.

"She had a bit of an eventful first day." Jaehyun sighed.

"Bullies?" His mother asked.

"Sort of." 

"Did they hurt her?" His mother gasped.

"Luckily no. Haera was able to intervene before anything serious happened." 

"Thank good-"

"Sohye also almost killed the school's best fencer." 

"What?!" 

 

Sohye buried herself in her homework for next few hours. A light knock on her door pulled her attention away from her ethics worksheet. Her father, Jung Sanghyuk opened the door and poked her head in, "I come bearing with hot kimchi stew." 

"Thanks dad." Sohye smiled. Her father set the steaming dish gently down on the desk and took a seat next to Sohye on the bed. 

"Jaehyun told me about what happened today." 

"Oh no." Sohye moaned.

"I admit I am concerned about the bullying but the fact that you also knocked Wang Jackson down a whole flight of stairs is astounding for a first day of a new school." Her father joked. "Tell him to swing by the hospital if he'd like a free neuro exam from me to check for any brain damage you might've inflicted on the poor boy." 

"Can I please be homeschooled." 

"Why would you want to be homeschooled?" 

"So no one will talk to me." 

"Who is bothering you?"

"Everyone!" 

"I thought Jaehyun said you weren't being bullied." 

"Well Jaehyun's friends said they would protect me but GOT7-"

"GOT7 is bullying you?" 

"No! But they kept coming up to me during school today and then me and Jaehyun bumped into them at the convenience store. They asked if I wanted to hang out and I just-"

"Jung Sohye." Her father took her hand. "They're trying to be friends with you." 

"But why?"

"Why not?" 

"Dad, I'm not a popular person like those other girls in school. I've never been THAT girl."

"What is a THAT girl? You cannot use slang with your old man, you know this." 

"I didn't have a ton of friends back in Busan. I'm used to keeping to myself. I just want to do well in school and graduate so I can become doctor like you."

"Sohye," Her father pulled her into a warm embrace and kissed her forehead, "would it be so horrible to open up a bit more? You don't need to be alone all the time." 

"I'm not completely alone. I have Jaehyun." 

"What happens when Jaehyun goes off to college next year?" Sohye remained silent. Her father rubbed her arm, "Seoul is a new start. Promise me you'll give these boys a chance? They seem nice."

"I'll think about it." Sohye mumbled.

 

"Good morning, Sohye." Jinyoung greeted as he took his seat next to her. Sohye nodded politely and resumed reading and reviewing her notes. Over the past few days she made simple conversation with GOT7. She'd say hello the them in the hallway and realized she had multiple classes with them. "I was wondering, want to grab lunch with us today?" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter