Chapter 20

Date Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 20:

 

An hour later, a limousine comes and pick the couple up from Irene’s apartment to the salon. 

 

Before that happens, the captain has already made sure she satisfied her and her baby’s cravings for marshmallows. Well, mostly hers. 

 

Already finished with her makeup and dressed in her glamorous suit, Seulgi waits on the plush sofa outside the dressing room for her princess. 

 

When Irene steps out of the dressing room in that breathtaking sparkling sequin dress, Seulgi drops her jaw like a fool. Even the staff standing around let out small gasps when she emerged. 

 

Right in front of her is the most beautiful woman in the world who is walking in her direction, eyes set on her. 

 

Irene stifles a giggle when she sees her captain openly gawking.

 

“You look...beautiful. You are simply...wow.” Seulgi finds herself at a lost for words when Irene does a twirl before her eyes. “Wow...” 

 

Irene closes Seulgi’s jaw on her behalf and Seulgi grabs her hand, holding it tenderly in her own. Her heart runs wild when Irene meets Seulgi’s gaze that is full of affection. 

 

“Hmm you look pretty...handsome too.” It is Irene’s pathetic attempt at changing her topic, but she meant every word of it. Irene has always been attracted to Seulgi because of her unique looks, which lies on the perfect line between masculinity and femininity. 

 

“Thank you, babe.” The annoying smirk which appears on Seulgi’s face after every compliment is also something that Irene finds weirdly attractive.  

 

“This looks great but,” Irene looks at herself in the mirror in front of her and sighs. “It’s too expensive.” 

 

“Don’t worry, babe. I’ll settle everything.” Seulgi informs her confidently from her seat. 

 

Irene tilts her head away from the mirror to face Seulgi and states, “You know that I don’t want you to spend too much money on me. Maybe I can just try on something less expensive?” 

 

“No!” The captain jumps up from her seat and stops Irene before she picks another outfit. She holds Irene back by the wrist. 

 

 “I know you don’t like me spending money but it is my birthday. You are my girlfriend and you will be representing me in front of all my guests. So, it is my responsibility to ensure that you look perfect today for me.” There goes Seulgi again with her sweet words. 

 

“But...” Seulgi stops Irene with a finger on her lips. 

 

“Shhhh...let me be selfish today. I want to see you in this beautiful dress.” Seulgi lowers her voice and eyes her girlfriend from head to toe with a smirk. 

 

“Hmm okay.” Irene nods shyly and changes the topic. “Are you excited for tonight?” Irene tilts her head to face her captain, who nods happily in reply. 

 

Seulgi beams proudly as she wrap her arms around Irene’s waist. “I can’t wait to introduce you to some of my closest friends and seniors as my girlfriend.”

 

The mention of the meeting makes Irene suddenly lose her smile.

 

“What’s wrong babe?” 

 

Irene sighs, “I’m worried. What if your friends and seniors don’t like me?”

 

“Don’t be silly.” Seulgi chuckles in reply. “They would love you! Besides, you’ve already met half of them at Yugyeom’s party.” Seulgi’s attempt to comfort Irene makes the girl even more anxious.

 

“I was drunk that day!“ Irene exclaims, eyes wide as saucers. “I was in a bad mood too. I was complaining about you to them. Ugh...why did I drink so much? Oh no. What if they think I’m y?”

 

Seulgi just keeps quiet and enjoy watching her cute girlfriend panic about nothing. Once Irene has finished talking, Seulgi slips out a small smile and asks Irene gently, “Since when does my princess care about what others think of her?”

 

“I usually don’t but...” Irene pauses and feels her cheeks turning pink when she continues, “they are people important to you. I don’t want to mess it up.”

 

Her words touched Seulgi’s heart deeply. “You know, I still can’t believe this is happening,” Seulgi reveals softly. 

 

“What?”

 

“You...” She gently caresses Irene’s cheek. “I can’t believe you’re mine. It’s scary, you know...”

 

Unexpectedly, Irene catches onto her slip-up. “What is?” 

 

“Hmm?”

 

“What is scary?” Irene notices how Seulgi’s smile falters. 

 

The captain looks into Irene’s eyes deeply. 

 

“This whole day feels like a beautiful dream and I feel like I deserve none of this happiness but I still want it to stay. I’m afraid that I’ll wake up and everything will be gone.” 

 

“Kang Seulgi.” 

 

Irene’s voice brings her back to reality. 

 

“What’s scary?” Seulgi then realises her girlfriend is looking at her expectantly. The captain shrugs it off with a charming smile and explains, “I’m scared of people stealing you away because of how beautiful you are.” She kisses Irene’s cheek lightly. 

 

Her answer disappoints Irene, who knows Seulgi is yet again trying to hide her feelings. She does not mention it, but she is worried for Seulgi all the time. 

 

“Hyun-ah, you’re mine.” Seulgi calls out for her sweetly and leans in for a kiss but gets stopped with a finger. 

 

“You are going to ruin our makeup.” Irene chides her, while forcing out a small smile on her own face. 

 

“Well, we are at the salon. We can just do it again, can’t we?” Seulgi leans in again but Irene just shakes her head and gently shove her away. 

 

“We should get going.” Irene informs her while smiling faintly and then walks out of the dressing area first. 

 

It leaves Seulgi looking at her retreating backview and letting out a sigh. One day, she tells herself. She will find the courage to make everything right. 

 

“Kang Seulgi!” 

 

Seulgi looks up and sees Irene walking towards her with a dazzling smile. The girl has both of their purses held in her hand. “Lets go!” Irene interlocks her arm with Seulgi and nudges her forward. 

 

As they walk towards the exit together, Seulgi turns to her girlfriend and jokes, “You scared me for a moment. I thought you left without me.” 

 

The shorter girl chuckles. “Silly bear.” Where would I go without you? 

 

——

 

All of their friends ensured that Seulgi and Irene will be the last two to enter the club. 

 

When they walked into the venue, confetti popped from the ceiling along with the flashes of disco lights, music blared from the speakers and everyone greeted them from all directions.

 

The birthday committee has made sure that this would be the wildest and grandest party of the year as it is their dearest captain’s sweet 18. 

 

As usual, Seulgi greets everyone with her bright disposition, looking truly in her own element in the crowd. Irene just holds onto Seulgi’s arm tight and smiles politely at those who greet her. It is still weird to Irene how many people she have met for the first time actually knew her name. 

 

Popularity is something she has not quite mastered yet. 

 

Seulgi leads Irene up the stairs into the balcony region, the exclusive VIP area reserved only for Seulgi’s closest friends. From afar, Irene can already see the two familiar faces seated on the velvet sofa. 

 

She halts her steps immediately. “Oh my god, it’s your unnies.” 

 

Seulgi looks in the direction and confirms it with a chirp, “Yep! Lets go and greet them now!”

 

“No!” Irene pulls her back. 

 

“Hyun-ah, I can assure you that they love you. Besides, there’s nothing to be afraid because I’m here with you right?” 

 

“I know.” Seulgi’s words makes Irene feel slightly better. Irene takes in a deep breath. “Before we go, I need something.”

 

“What?”

 

Irene smoothly grabs a shot from a bartender passing by and throws it down . She chokes a little on the burning sensation, but recovers quickly and turns to Seulgi with a smile, “Now I’m ready.”

 

Seulgi looks at her with a smile without saying much, just admiring how much Irene has changed since the last time they went to a club together. So much wilder, more carefree and happier. 

 

The captain offers her hand and they walk to the sofa together. 

 

“Our baby is here!!!” Sunmi immediately stands up to greet Seulgi with a big hug. She pulls away for a kiss on the cheek but Seulgi smoothly rejects her. “Sorry unnie, my girlfriend is here.” She whispers into her unnie’s ear.

 

Sunmi nods with a knowing smile and pats her on the shoulder. “You’re learning quickly,” she whispers back into Seulgi’s ear with a giggle. 

 

Seeing Irene standing awkwardly by the side, Sunmi greets Irene with a welcome hug too. “I’m so happy to see you, Irene! We all can’t wait to finally talk to you!”

 

“I’m happy to meet you too, unnie.” Irene slips out a nervous smile. 

 

“Omo I’ve adopted another child.” Sunmi squeals happily and interlocks her arm with her new child. Her friendliness makes Irene feel a little more at ease. “Come, I’ll introduce you to the rest.” 

 

While leading Irene to the table, she turns around and sends Seulgi a wink, who trails behind them with a smirk. Most of the seniors stand up to greet the birthday girl and her girlfriend, all of them dressed to the nines. 

 

Next, Irene meets Moonbyul, who greets her with a greasy welcome speech. “I’ve been waiting for you, my princess. You look beautiful as ever.” She lands a chaste kiss on her hand, her bold action making Irene blush. Irene immediately steals a look at Seulgi’s reaction, who surprisingly has a smile on her face.

 

“Wait, aren’t you jealous?” Moonbyul asks with a frown, while still holding onto Irene’s hand. 

 

“Nah. I know someone else who will punish you.” Seulgi smirks when she sees a shadow approach Moonbyul from the back. 

 

“Ouch!” Someone pulls Moonbyul’s ear from behind. A beautiful lady with large, round eyes yells at Moonbyul. “How dare you flirt with other people right in front of me?” 

 

”I’m just kidding! You know me better than that, babe. Ouch!” 

 

“Who told you to be so extra!” The beautiful lady then realises Irene is standing right beside her. Her deadly glare immediately melts into a sweet smile when she greets her, “Hi Irene. I’m Solar by the way.” 

 

“H-Hi.” Irene lifts up her hand and does an awkward wave. Great, she tells herself. Now, she has really thoroughly embarrassed herself in front of Seulgi’s favourite unnies with her lame introduction. 

 

However, Solar does not seem to have noticed it. “Happy birthday, Kkangseul!” Solar goes on to greet Seulgi with a side hug, all while still pulling onto Moonbyul’s ear. 

 

“Hey, I’m really sorry for my girlfriend’s behaviour.” Solar tells Irene with a sheepish smile and then flashes Moonbyul a glare. “I’ll make sure to punish her for it.” 

 

Looking at Moonbyul‘ sad plight, Irene replies with a worried expression. ”It’s okay! I don’t mind.” 

 

“You see! She doesn’t mind!” Moonbyul exclaims and it triggers her girlfriend to pull onto her ear harder. “Ouch, sorry babe. You’re right, I am in the wrong. I deserve to die. Please be gentle with my ear.” 

 

“Hey.” Seulgi finally speaks up and wraps an arm around her girlfriend’s waist. “You’re my girlfriend. How can you let others do this to you hmm?” Her words made Irene’s heart flutter. 

 

“Come here!” Solar pulls Moonbyul away by the ear to somewhere else. 

 

“Oh no, will she be okay?” Irene turns and asks Seulgi worriedly. 

 

“Um, I’m pretty sure they’ll be fine.” Seulgi replies with a chuckle, knowing that her unnies are just finding an excuse to leave the group and make out somewhere. 

 

She brings Irene to meet the rest of her seniors who were from SM as well. They stand up and greet Irene one by one with overwhelming friendliness. 

 

According to Seulgi, they were nicknamed ‘Girls’ Generation’ in the school for their outstanding visuals, which are shining even in the dim lighting of the club.  

 

“So this is my daughter?” The leader of the group, Taeyeon unnie, greets Irene first with a mandatory hug. She holds onto her arms and stares at Irene in awe. “Wow we really look alike!”

 

She turns Irene to face the rest of the unnies, who laughed along at their similarities and even took out their phone to take pictures of them. 

 

“Look here!” 

 

“Smile babes!” 

 

Irene looks at the cameras with a frozen smile and when she faces Seulgi’s camera, Seulgi just gives her a secret thumbs up and a proud smile, reassuring Irene that she is doing a great job. 

 

After the impromptu photoshoot, they all settled down around the table again, with the young couple seated in the middle. 

 

“So...this is the girl that finally got our princess’ heart.” Yoona unnie comments while visibly checking out Irene from head to toe. Then, she finally smiles, as if of approval. “Y’all look good together.” 

 

“Thank you.” 

 

“We almost thought Seulgi was planning to be a nun until you came.” 

 

“Unnie, I just wasn’t interested!” 

 

“That’s not true!” Sooyoung unnie suddenly stands up and announces, while pointing a finger at Seulgi. “Remember when Sunmi wanted to date you in middle school and you had a big fat crush on her too?” 

 

“OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!” Everyone around the table immediately cheered. 

 

Hearing about this sends a weird feeling to Irene’s heart, knowing this is yet again something Seulgi has never told her before.

 

Sunmi laughs along, then she mentions in a low voice, “You are my first, Kang Seulgi.” Laughter instantly fills the air when they all hear the inside joke. 

 

Irene immediately snaps her head to look at Seulgi for an explanation. 

 

Seulgi panics upon facing her girlfriend’s hurt expression. “She means first rejection! I swear you’re my first everything for a relationship.” 

 

Irene lifts an eyebrow, which causes the poor girl’s heart to crumble. She taps her unnie’s arm frantically and yells, “Unnie, you better explain yourself!” 

 

“Calm down, little one. You’re overreacting and ruining the fun.” Sunmi sighs and shakes her head. “Anyway, Seulgi is right. My favourite dongsaeng here was indeed the first person who ever rejected me.” 

 

“She’s the first to reject our resident femme fatale.” Yoona tells Irene. “Only Kang Seulgi can do that.” 

 

“I’m really sorry, unnie.” Seulgi apologises sheepishly and holding up a glass of drink in her hand. “I’ll drink to that.” She takes the shot smoothly, an ability trained after years of clubbing. All of them around the table started to drink too, except Irene who politely declined because of her poor alcohol tolerance. 

 

Irene takes a look at Sunmi, who looks like the perfection embodiment of y and girl crush. Why would Seulgi reject someone as good as Sunmi? Especially if she had a crush on her? 

 

Seulgi brings Irene around to introduce more of her childhood friends to her, each of them makes Irene feel more and more like an outsider. From models to national athletes, all of them are extremely attractive in their own ways. Irene notes how all of them are so similar to Seulgi, compared to herself. 

 

But why did Seulgi choose to chase her when she has so many other more attractive options?

 

The captain finally notices Irene’s slightly down expression as they walk towards her next group of friends.

 

“Hey, are you okay?” 

 

Irene reveals a weary smile, “I’m fine. Just a little tired.” 

 

“What?” Seulgi replies, unable to hear Irene through the loud disco music. 

 

“I said I’m a little tired!” Irene shouts back in Seulgi’s face but the dumb bear just looks back at Irene blankly. The alcohol in her brain makes it even harder for Seulgi to make sense of what Irene is saying amidst the noise.

 

“Lets go somewhere where we can be alone,” Seulgi lets out a frustrated sigh and grabs Irene by the wrist, pulling her into one of the VIP rooms. The couple making out immediately on the sofa immediately stops and greets Seulgi. 

 

“Hey, do you mind letting me use the room for a few minutes?” Seulgi asks, with her usual charisma that spurs others instantly agree to her demands. 

 

“Of course, KkangSeul. Take as long as you want! Just make sure to lock the door.” The boy winks at Seulgi, as he walks towards the door. 

 

“Won’t make the same mistake as y’all.” Seulgi chuckles and gives him a pat on the back. 

 

The girl greets Irene with a bright welcome. “You look really pretty tonight, Irene. I love your dress babe!” 

 

“Thanks b-babe.” Irene replies, and immediately, she felt a quick tap on her shoulder. She turns to see Seulgi frowning at her unhappily.  

 

After the couple walk away, Seulgi closes the room door and they are finally away from all the noise and people. She pulls Irene to sit on the sofa facing her. The next moment, the captain morphs her lips into a cute pout. 

 

“What’s wrong?” 

 

“Babe,” Seulgi mutters. 

 

“Yes?”

 

“You called her babe.” 

 

“So?"

 

"So?! Are you kidding me? You haven’t even call me babe yet!" Seulgi whines like a child. 

 

"Oh I see...so that’s why you’re upset?” 

 

Seulgi nods with her pout. Irene just chuckles and uses a hand to pat her little pouting bear’s head. “Silly bear.” 

 

"No. Call me babe."

 

“Babe.” Her girlfriend replies immediately with a smile. “Happy now?”

 

Upon hearing that, Seulgi gives a light shrug to act nonchalant, but she fails to hide her growing smile. “Well...I don’t know since you called her babe first.” She loves the soft, fluffy feeling she feels whenever Irene surprises her with something cute. 

 

“Babe.” Irene repeats it again and teases her. “Now you’re the only person I’ve called babe twice.” 

 

“Say it again!” Seulgi has completely given up on not looking like a lovesick fool gawking at her girlfriend. “Pleaseee.” 

 

“No.”

 

“No?”

 

“Yah! Kang Seulgi what are you doing?” Irene gasps and leans back onto the sofa when she sees her girlfriend approaching her with a smirk on her face. Seulgi traps her with both her arms on either side of her shoulder. 

 

“How dare you reject me?” Seulgi asks her in a low, teasing voice. 

 

“Go away. Your breath stinks.”

 

Seulgi takes a long look at Irene’s face with her hazy eyes and then, caresses the girl’s lips lightly with her thumb. To Seulgi, Irene just looks so pretty tonight and since they are alone in a room, only one thing is clear in her hazy mind. 

 

Irene notices how Seulgi gaze in her eyes turns dark when she speaks, “Baby, you’re so beautiful. There is so many things I want to do to you-“ 

 

“W-What? You’re drunk, babe, let me go.” Irene panics and tries to push away her arms, but the captain does not budge. 

 

“Don’t you want me too?” Seulgi asks her softly and peppers light kisses all over her neck for the first time. With every kiss, Irene can feel herself faller deeper and deeper into the trap, overwhelmed by her desires. 

 

However, when she feels Seulgi lightly on her skin, a shot of fear clears up her mind and she immediately stops her from going further. “Seulgi.” 

 

The captain looks up at her in anticipation, “Hmm?” 

 

“Don’t.” 

 

“What?”

 

“Lets not do this when you’re drunk.“ Irene tells Seulgi firmly, while looking into her eyes. 

 

Seulgi looks at Irene blankly for a few seconds and then, she slowly moves away. The captain sits back properly on the sofa with her head hung low, maintaining a small gap between them. 

 

The sight of this makes Irene feel bad. “I’m sorry.” 

 

“No, no I think I must have lost my mind.” Seulgi releases a frustrated groan. “I am sorry for being stupid. I should have waited for you to be ready before going for it-“ 

 

“Seulgi, it’s okay.” Irene reassures her with a pat on her shoulder. “I forgive you.” 

 

Seulgi finally looks up from the ground to face Irene. “Really?” 

 

Irene nods with a smile. 

 

“Thank god.” Seulgi finally reveals her bright smile again, which Irene adores the most.

 

“Anyway, why did you ask me to come in here? It’s not to do what you did just now right?” 

 

“Of course not!” Seulgi places her hand onto Irene’s and gives it a light squeeze. “I just wanna check in with you. I feel like we haven’t talked for a long time...” 

 

A light kiss on her lips follows, with Seulgi taking care not to ruin her girlfriend’s makeup. “I missed you,” Seulgi reveals sweetly as she pulls away from the kiss. 

 

Irene’s heart skipped a beat from her sudden confession.

 

“I’m sorry if I seemed like I neglected you when I talked to my friends,” Seulgi apologises worriedly. “I didn’t mean to.” 

 

“You didn’t, silly bear.” Her girlfriend slides her hand on top of Seulgi’s and gives it a light squeeze of reassurance. Much as Irene hates to admit, she loves it the most whenever the two of them can spend time alone like this. Away from everyone else, it feels as if nothing and no one else matters in their relationship except for each other and their feelings.

 

“Hyun-ah, why do you look so troubled?"

 

"I'm alright." She reassures Seulgi with a kiss on the cheek. "Anyway, how is our birthday girl feeling about her party so far?" 

 

“This is my best birthday ever!” Seulgi exclaims happily and clasps her hands together as she announces, “All the people I love gathered in one venue together. My unnies, oppas, close friends, dongsaengs and most important of all, you!” 

 

Irene draws in a sharp breath suddenly.

 

The clueless bear stares at her. “What did I say?”

 

However, Irene seems too embarrassed to reply her. It must be something stupid again. Seulg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter