Chapter 14

Date Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: Long read ahead! Find a comfortable chair and settle down with a warm cup of peppermint latte before reading. Enjoy! 

 

——

 

Chapter 14

 

Irene’s face lights up when she sees the familiar red maserati parked in front of her building entrance. 

 

She opens the car door and is immediately greeted by her favourite bear. “Good morning, Hyun-ah!”

 

“Morning, silly bear.” 

 

They greet one another with a smile, and then look away from one another quickly. 

 

Irene places on her seat belt and then asks the other girl shyly, “Did you have a good dream?”

 

“Of course, I dreamt of you.” Seulgi replies smoothly, while keeping her eyes on the road. 

 

“Oh really?” 

 

“I saw an angel in my dream who looked exactly like you. She suddenly appeared in front of me and took my breath away.” 

 

Irene turns away from Seulgi to hide her bright smile and tries to sound nonchalant as she replies, “So you died on the spot? What a sad story.”

 

“You know what I meant.” Seulgi looks at the latter with a pout who returns her an innocent shrug. “I don’t know what you mean.” However, Irene has a small smirk tugged at the corner of her lips. 

 

Seulgi steals a glance at Irene. Wearing her hair down today, her fringe cascades down the profile of her face perfectly. Seulgi reaches out to push away the stray strands, allowing herself to see Irene’s big doe-like eyes sparkle brightly back at her in the faint morning sun. 

 

Seulgi breathes out, “You look stunning today.” It is all Seulgi can manage to say in the presence of her angel. 

 

Irene lightly slaps her hand away and muses, “Look at the road while you drive. I don’t wanna die so early.” However, the twinkle in her eyes suggests she liked Seulgi’s compliment. 

 

So, Seulgi turns her attention back onto the road and announces sweetly, “Of course I won’t allow us to die so early. We haven’t even started anything yet.” 

 

Her reply catches Irene’s attention, as she suddenly realises that even though both of them know their relationship has progressed past fake dating, neither has talked about moving onto the next phase yet. 

 

So what exactly are they now? 

 

Wendy suddenly butts into their lovers’ banter. “Why are y’all two being so mushy since last night?” If not for Wendy’s sudden interruption, both of them would have forgotten her presence already. 

 

“Since when?” Seulgi challenges, knowing the answer clearly in her head but asking for the fun of it in case their friend gets bored of playing gooseberry. 

 

Finally having the chance to speak, big mouth Wendy instantly spills the tea, “Even after y’all went home last night, Joohyun texted me-“

 

“Seungwan!” Irene suddenly yells at Wendy, signalling her to zip in a panic. 

 

Wendy smirks, “You’re embarrassed now aren’t you?”

 

Seulgi narrows her eyes on Irene with a playful grin, “Now I’m really curious what she texted you.”

 

Sensing that she is out-numbered, Irene can only huff out in anger and turn away from both of them. As expected, only the trees along the streets outside of the window are her loyal supporters. 

 

The rare sight of a sulking bunny makes the other two exchange a secret fist bump and Wendy mouths to Seulgi that she will tell her everything later. 

 

Now, it is time to pacify their grumpy bunny. 

 

Seulgi tries to change the topic, “By the way, my lessons end early today. What about you?” 

 

Irene‘s reply comes in a grumble, “Mine too.” Wendy and Seulgi instantly exchanged looks upon hearing it, both of them on the brink of breaking out into laughter at the cute sight. 

 

“There's no council meeting?” 

 

"I have some free time before it starts. You have dance practice?”

 

"I have some free time before it too, so I am going to study." 

 

"Me too." 

 

Another stumbling block appears before Seulgi. 

 

They have stopped studying together ever since two weeks ago. Since they have made up, is it logical to assume they should be studying together? However, she does clearly remember that Irene prefers to study alone. 

 

Anyway, The captain decides to try her luck. She asks the latter with a palpitating heart, “So...see you later at the library? Let’s study together.” 

 

“Oh...I’m studying with Jennie, Suho and Ji Hyo this afternoon in the council room.“ Irene replies with a sheepish smile. “I’m sorry, Seulgi.” 

 

Her words feel like needles piericing through her body and they hurt something more important than her heart: her ego. 

 

The dance captain enters a daze for a few seconds upon hearing her answer then she slips out a series of awkward chuckles in increasing volume. 

 

“Ha ha ha! Hyun-ah, you are just kidding with me right?” Seulgi looks into Irene’s eyes desperately for any sign of humour but the latter just reveals a small, guilty smile in return. “Seulgi, sorry but I’m not free today.” 

 

Her reply crushes the remnants of the captain’s already broken pieces of her ego. 

 

Suddenly, Seulgi feels a little light headed from the news. It is fortunate that they are reaching the school soon, where she can accept treatment from her specialist doctors in A&E. 

 

Her dance club members who will shower her with compliments to rebuild her broken ego. 

 

So, Seulgi takes in a deep breath to suppress the pain and tries to brush it off as coolly as possible, “It’s okay. It is totally fine, you know. I’m not upset or anything. I can always find someone else to study with. I am friends with half of the school population remember? I have lots of friends...ugh never mind.” Now, the captain feels even more pathetic after her failed attempt at acting nonchalant. 

 

Though her words imply she is okay, Irene notices the captain is taking unusually heavy breaths, with both hands tightly holding on the steering wheel and her eyes looking in the distance. Seulgi is such a bad liar. 

 

Irene stifles a chuckle and nudges Seulgi while teasing her, “If you want, I can always study with you instead.” 

 

Seulgi grunts back like a grumpy bear, “I don’t need your sympathy.” 

 

The bunny finally decides to let her off. Thus, she tugs at Seulgi’s arm and whines in her cute voice, “Seulgi-yah, I want to study with you!” 

 

The latter keeps her eyes on the road and mutters, “I don’t want to study with you anymore.” One look at the bunny and Seulgi will immediately lose everything. She is determined to hold onto her last trace of dignity as the proud dance captain of SM High.  

 

Irene smile grows even brighter as she continues to coax her little bear, “Are you upset at me? Hmm, Gomdori?” 

 

Game Over. 

 

“Gomdori?” Seulgi finally turns to look at the latter with eyes b with hearts. “Can you say it again?” She pleads Irene cutely. One word from the bunny and the captain is currently as whipped as whipped cream. 

 

“Gomdori.” Seeing how Seulgi’s eyes sparkle with even more adoration while looking at her now, Irene just smiles and reaches out to pat her captain’s head. “You’re such a cute little bear.” 

 

Seulgi feels her heart melting into a pool of goo upon hearing it, and she cannot do anything but just admire at the latter with her stupid smile.

 

“Jesus Christ! Stop flirting in front of me!” The gooseberry at the back seat finally burst out from her pent-up frustration from hearing their conversation. “And look at the road please, my dear captain. You forgot to make a turn just now.”

 

“Oops.” Seulgi suddenly realises her mistake and apologises sheepishly to the two of them. She struggles to key in the school address into the GPS with one hand, so Irene steps in to help her. 

 

Irene’s fingers gently push away Seulgi’s to gain access to the screen, but the latter takes the opportunity to hold onto Irene’s hand instead. 

 

“Let me do it. You’re driving.” Irene states firmly but the captain shakes her head and smiles, “I don’t want to let go of your hand.” 

 

”Honestly, neither do I.” Irene herself cringed hard after saying it, but it is all worth it seeing the surprise on Seulgi’s face. 

 

“God dammit, stop!” Wendy suddenly lunges forward to key in the details into the GPS herself, forcing the couple to let go of their hands involuntarily. “Sometimes I’d rather your morning debates than your love banters now.” Wendy grumbles while touching the screen. 

 

The two of them let out consecutive sighs as Wendy has just interrupted them for the second time that morning. Seulgi and Irene exchange glances across Wendy’s back after the sigh and realise they both share the same sentiments. 

 

So, Irene turns around to face her best friend and suggests in a serious tone, “If you’re so displeased, you are always invited to take the bus.” 

 

Seulgi immediately supports her, “Oops, too bad Wendy. Since my girlfriend has already said so, please take the bus from tomorrow onwards.” 

 

“Are both of you chasing me out? Hmph, I won’t leave!” 

 

“Continue to play gooseberry then.” Seulgi sees Wendy’s aghast expression from the rear mirror and she does feel a little bad for her. She quickly adds, “Just kidding, Wannie! We love you,” not forgetting to end off with a finger heart. 

 

Irene grabs Seulgi’s finger heart before Wendy takes it and she turns to Seulgi while frowning, “I’m not kidding though.” 

 

Seulgi nods with a sweet smile in return, “Actually, neither am I.”  

 

Seeing both of them making eyes at each other again, Wendy decides to just let out a dramatic sigh and sulks by herself in the back seat. “I’m too lonely to live! Stupid Park Bogum. I’m going to confess to you once you come back.” 

 

Irene and Seulgi exchange nervous looks and they can only pray when the day comes, it will not go down as badly as expected. 

 

——

 

One day passed without any progress. 

 

They went back to their usual routine before the whole clubbing saga went down: lunch chit chats, library dates and walks around the school. 

 

Suddenly, doing all of these things they used to do while fake dating feel inappropriate now that they have real feelings towards each other. Neither said a word. 

 

Yet, another day passed. 

 

The next day during recess, something finally happened. 

 

Seulgi is unusually late for their recess meet up. The rest of her friends, including Wendy and Irene, are already settled around the table with their respective food.

 

“Anyone knows where’s Seulgi unnie?” Yeri suddenly asks.

 

Everyone turns to look at Irene, but she just shakes her head and replies, “I don’t know either.”

 

“That’s weird. She’s rarely late.”

 

“Ah, I think I know what is about to happen.” Jongin suddenly brings up, with an inconspicuous smile on his face. 

 

“Huh? What’s going to happen?” Irene asks him innocently, eliciting a chuckle from the boy. 

 

Jongin winks at Irene. “You would know.”

 

“Me?”

 

He just shrugs and flashes a knowing smile at her, as if he knows a secret. 

 

There is only one thing on Irene’s mind at that moment. Has the day Irene been waiting for finally arrived?

 

She suddenly feels nervous, thinking about how to react when Seulgi asks her out in front of everyone later. 

 

Should she gasp and cover with her hands? Or should she jump up from her seat to give Seulgi a big hug while accepting her proposal? 

 

While she is under deep thought, Sooyoung suddenly shouts, “There she is!” She points in the direction of the cafeteria doors, where Seulgi is walking towards them with an unusually bright smile. It is obvious that she is hiding something behind her. 

 

Irene tries her best to calm her racing heart as Seulgi approaches her directly in big strides. The captain stops in front of her with a big smile still plastered on her face. 

 

“Seulgi?” 

 

Seulgi’s hands suddenly come out from behind and she presents two objects in front of Irene. She pushes one of them towards the girl who is seated. 

 

It is not a bottle of perfume, a bouquet of red roses nor a cute handmade candle that Seulgi promised to make for her. 

 

It is a bottle of banana milk. 

 

Seeing Irene’s confused expression, Seulgi explains excitedly, “Ta-da! It has been a long time since I last treated you to banana milk even though I promised to do it everyday. So I ran down to the snack store as soon as the bell rang to get this for you!” 

 

“What?”

 

“Are you surprised that I still remembered about this?” Seulgi looks at Irene with her eyes gleaming like a proud little kid, waiting for a compliment. However, the latter just accepts the bottle quietly and turns back to the table. 

 

“Are you not happy about it?” Seulgi pouts and settles down beside Irene, who is currently sipping on the bottle of milk. Today, the milk tastes particularly bittersweet. 

 

“I don’t need to smile to indicate I’m happy, do I?” Irene grumbles without facing Seulgi. 

 

The captain accepts it as it is. “Well, I know you just don’t want to show that you’re touched by my amazing memory.” 

 

“Stupid bear.” 

 

Irene’s soft murmur is overheard by Seulgi, who just sighs and excuses herself to buy some food. Jongin soon catches up with her and he reminds her in a low voice, "I thought you wanted to do it just now. She seems to be getting impatient."  

 

"I just thought of a better idea. I just need to pray she's in the mood for it next week." 

 

——

 

From the moment Seulgi ask if she is free that Wednesday afternoon, Irene knows in her heart it is not as simple as it is. 

 

The day she has finally waited for has arrived. Wednesday is the day where all students enjoy an early dismissal because it is their last day of common tests. And, it is perfect for an after school date. 

 

"Is it because you want to study together in the library this afternoon?" Irene tries to feign ignorance, while they walk together to Irene’s classroom after eating. 

 

"C’mon, there’s no more tests after today. Do you want to go to the amusement park with me? I have an extra ticket." Seulgi reaches into her pocket and slips out one ticket with a bright smile on her face. 

 

Amusement park? A very creative idea for a first date indeed.

 

Irene teases the latter, “The extra ticket trick is a little too old school, don’t you think?”

 

Seulgi looks back at her, confused. She continues, “I really have an extra ticket. Our dance club won it in a competition last season. We have ten tickets and only nine seniors free today.” Seulgi shows Irene the envelope of tickets in her pocket, where there are indeed nine other tickets inside. The title of the envelope does state clearly that it is a prize from their Mega Dance Off competition last season. 

 

Irene stifles a chuckle seeing the amount of effort Seulgi has placed in her surprise today. “I see.” She nods without saying much and walks into her classroom. 

 

Seulgi follows her into the classroom, and is immediately greeted by many of her friends. The friendly captain waves to a few of them but she heads straight in Irene’s direction and continues to ask, “So are you going?” 

 

Irene settles down on her seat and takes out her workbook. She starts on her revision while she sees the captain pull a seat next to her from the corner of her eye. 

 

Seulgi taps on her workbook with her fingers and asks the other girl again, “So are you? I know you’re free today.” Her tone sounds hopeful. 

 

“Yes, but I’m not interested.” 

 

“Wait, no no no!” Seulgi suddenly grasps onto Irene’s workbook tightly and bursts out, “You can’t not go!” 

 

Irene pushes away Seulgi’s hands from her workbook and keeps it safely under her desk before the latter crumples it into pieces. She turns to Seulgi finally, “Why not?” 

 

“Uh...” Irene can see the gears in Seulgi’s brain turning at full speed to think of an excuse. Her face visibly lights up when she finally thinks of something, “I don’t want to waste a ticket! Come on pleaseeee.” Seulgi waves the ticket in front of Irene to tempt her, but it only annoys the latter instead. 

 

Irene takes it and puts it under her table while stating nonchalantly, “Thanks. I will give the ticket to Wendy. She will love it.” She realises she loves teasing Seulgi way too much for her own good.

 

“Nooo!” Seulgi lets out an exasperated groan and her lips morph into her signature cute pout. She unwillingly admits, “Do I really have to admit that I’m using that only as an excuse to have some fun with you?”

 

Seeing the bear’s irresistible puppy eyes accompanying her sweet words, Irene cannot help but reach out to pat the captain’s head and swoon, “You’re so cute.” The words leave before they register in her brain. 

 

Upon hearing it, it seems as if a switch is suddenly in the dance captain’s brain, causing her to suddenly revert back to her usual cocky self. She regains the confident glint in her eyes, as she suddenly teases, “You find me cute?” 

 

“Ugh, get lost.” Irene rolls her eyes, in an effort to hide her embarrassment. She takes out her textbook and starts to read up for the upcoming test, totally ignoring the latter. 

 

A palm suddenly covers up the text is she reading. “You don’t mean it,” Seulgi confidently refutes. 

 

“I do mean it.” Irene states and she waves her left hand to dismiss the captain to her utmost disbelief. “The next lesson is about to start so you better be on the way to your own class now. And, get your hand off my book please.” 

 

The latter refuses to do as said, but she eventually removes her hand after the latter’s glare and sits there sulking with her arms folded. “I won’t remove my hand until you agree to go to the amusement park with me...p-please. This is the first time I’ve begged anyone in my life.” The captain bites her lips after admitting. 

 

Irene’s heart softens. “Seulgi-ya”

 

“Prof is coming!” Someone suddenly runs into the classroom while announcing. The entire classroom goes into a frenzy as everyone quickly rush back to their own seats and keeps all of their books. The girl inhales a sharp breath when she sees Seulgi, “Seulgi, get out now! Prof will punish you if he sees you here.” 

 

“I’ll send you a message okay? Go.” Irene smacks her captain on the arm, who reluctantly gets out of her seat. Seulgi looks at Irene one last time with a pout on her face, her expression suggesting she does not bear to leave. 

 

Seulgi reaches out to caress Irene’s cheek one last time while saying softly, “I’ll see you later...I hope.” 

 

“Kang Seulgi!” The class chairman screams at her again. 

 

“Oops sorry.” Seulgi finally removes her hand from Irene’s face and the familiar warmth disappears in a flash to the latter’s disappointment. She pats Irene’s shoulder and smiles, “Good luck, my princess. I’m sure you’ll do well.” 

 

Seulgi slips out a cheery smile next and waves goodbye to the entire class. 

 

“Bye everyone!” 

 

“Bye!” The voices of the other students drown out Irene’s soft murmur. She watches Seulgi runs out of the classroom through the back door with loud footsteps. 

 

Next, a commotion happens outside the classroom. 

 

A loud voice barks, “Kang Seulgi! Why are you not in your classroom yet? The exam is starting in 5 minutes!” 

 

Another higher pitched voice answers in a hurry, “Sorry Prof, I’m on my way now!” The sound of her quickened footsteps gradually fades away. 

 

Once Seulgi returns to her own classroom, she receives a nagging in front of her class from her grumpy old Professor, which is hard to endure because he speaks in short sentences with long pauses. 

 

And when the captain looks even a little disinterested, she receives even more nagging for her rude behaviour and her y grades.   

 

After the nagging, Seulgi drags her feet back to her seat and sighs. Nothing in her day seem to be going right so far.

 

While putting her bag outside the class before the test, she takes out her phone and sees two new messages. Surprisingly, they are both from Irene. Since when does the latter learn to text in class?

 

Baechu: Hope you aren’t too hurt from all the scolding. 

 

Baechu: Text me the time, date and venue to meet only after the test ends. Don’t text in class, I don’t want to play alone :) 

 

Suddenly, all of the nagging seems worthwhile at the end of the day. 

 

——

 

As expected, when Irene walks out of the classroom, her captain is waiting for her by the door. 

 

Seulgi offers

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter