Neighbor

The Guy Next Door

It was already night time when taehyung arrived to his location; his uncle's house. He paid the cab driver and proceeds to lift up his belongings to the front step of the door, having no time to look around the house to appreciate the flowerbeds surrounding around it. All he wants right now is some good rest and maybe pack up a bit before going to bed. Trust him, he really hates unpacking things but if he procrastinate, who knows when will he ever start unpacking his things? 

Fumbling with the keys, he finally finds the right one and smiles in relief once he steps inside the house. His uncle's house is not that big, enough for him alone living there. There's two bedrooms and with a bathroom each and the living room is quite spacious. The kitchen is enough to fit two people. Of course, his uncle's own house is bigger than this one; he's a successful businessman, after all. Taehyung nods his head once he taken a look around the house, feeling satisfied. The bed are cozy, the shower running smoothly, the furnitures in good shape, and there's some food in the fridge. Maybe his uncle left some for him as it is stored inside a tupperware with a little note that says; "eat some, i cooked it for you :D" which makes taehyung shakes his head with smile. Being his uncle's favorite nephew sure has its own benefits. He then makes a beeline back towards his bedroom to take a shower. A fresh shower is all it takes for him to freshen up to begin unpacking his luggage after having some dinner. It took him about two hours and a half to actually finish unpacking and another one hour to clean around the house a bit before he decides to stop out of exhaustion. He makes a mental note to clean the house thoroughly during the weekends. 

Lying down on the couch in the living room, he turns on the television and switches from one channel to another. There is nothing to watch and he's still not feeling sleepy despite the long journey. In the end, he's only staring at the ceiling with the sounds from the television as the background. He thought about his new life that will begin a day after tomorrow. Will he be able to adapt well? Or will he be able to make friends in the university? After all, he's from Daegu and the kids from Seoul are a bit....different. He's afraid of being outcasted because he's from Daegu and that his family is not one that someone calls a wealthy family. His late father is a doctor, yes. But only in a small clinic back home. Its not like he's ashamed of his family, its just that he's afraid that the kids from the university is too rich to be friends with. 

Thinking about all of those makes his head hurts and so he decides to clear his thoughts by watching some cooking show on the television. His eyes shines bright when it is one of his favorite baking show, Bake with Anna Olson. She is his idol, after his uncle. Her desserts and pastries never fails to make his mouth water. Being someone who really likes sweet things, he really enjoys a lot watching the show. 

As he is immersed in watching the many beautiful cakes that Anna bakes, an idea pops in his mind. He immediately turns off the television as soon as the show ended and went straight ahead to the kitchen. His hands swiftly opening the cabinets one by one, hoping that the things that he needed are there. And indeed, the cabinets are filled with baking ingredients; as expected of his uncle. His uncle usually comes to this house to stay a night or two and sometimes bakes here. And he's grateful that his uncle didn't take the ingredients away with him when he's moving in. Taehyung felt giddy as he reaches out to a packet of flour in the cabinet and starts searching for recipes in his phone. He decides to make some vanilla cupcakes with lemon frosting. Taking out the ingredients, he finds an apron that wrote 'kiss the chef' with a kissy emoji and wears it. 

Oh ho ho, he's sure gonna have some fun tonight. 

 


 

In the middle of the night, two young males are seen walking at an empty alleyway. Well, at least one of them are walking while dragging the other. And no, this is not some horror-crime scene where a killer drags its victim to a secluded area. 

One male, shorter, is dragging his tall friend that is clutched on his back, arms around the shorter's boy's neck. The taller one couldn't walk straight and is blabbing random things which the shorter just agrees. 

Apparently, the tall one is a drunken mess and his short friend is helping him walk back to his house safely. What an angel, really. He could've hauled a cab and lets the driver do the rest after giving the house adress. But being a good friend that he is, he is willingly to help his friend went home. Of course, he could've ride the same taxi as his tall friend but unfortunately, he went to the bar without bringing his purse after being hurriedly coming to get his drunk friend. And his drunk friend is short on money. Okay maybe that is why he didn't haul a cab. 

"Oh my gosh, you're so heavy!"

"Shushht uppp. Am not heavy" 

The shorter one rolls his eyes whilst adjusting his friend on his back. The walk back home is actually not too far, but because he have to 'carry' his drunk friend, the usual 30 minutes walk became an hour and a half because he have to pause for a while to catch his breath. Eventually the neighborhood is in sight and he couldn't be more happier than that. With fast steps, he drags the other to cross the zebra crossing; not caring about how his drunk friend is already half on the street. 

"We've arrived!" the shorter one cheers, dropping his friend at the doorstep. 

"Yayyy~" the drunk one slurs. The shorter male rolls his eyes and began searching for the house keys that he knew is buried in a flower pot. He immediately finds it and unlocks the house. Not bothering to lift the drunk male, he drags him on the floor and into the living room. He then leaves the male there while he went to the bedroom and brings out a blanket and a pillow. After tucking his friend to sleep, he sat on the couch for a while to catch his breath. 

Soft snores is heard and he leaves the house. 

"Ah, I should buy him some hangover pills" 

And out to the pharmacy he go.

 


 

Taehyung yawns as he waits for his cupcakes to finish baking. He sat on the chair on at the kitchen table with one arm supporting his head. Glancing at the clock, it is no wonder that he is sleepy. Its already 2 a.m. He still needs to pipe the frostings on top of the cupcakes, though. 

Drinking his strawberry milk, his eyes widens when the oven went 'ding!', meaning that his cupcakes are done. With wide smile, he takes his napkin and takes out the cupcakes carefully. His smile widens even more when his cupcakes turns out to be perfect; fluffy and soft. He pats himself on the back and began frosting the cupcakes with lemon frostings. When done frosting all 10 cupcakes, he decorates it with lemon zest on top of the frostings. 

Andddd, its done. 

He was so proud of his work that he took several pictures of it and uploads them on Instagram. Within seconds, his friends from Daegu and some of his cousins commented and liked his picture. 

Oh, he is hella proud with their praises. 

Looking back at the cupcakes, a frown makes it way on his face as he thought about something— who's gonna eat them all? 

Sure, he loves sweet things but eating cupcakes for a whole week is kinda.....not healthy. He's a medic student, remember? He can't have diabetes when  he's studying to become a doctor. 

Looking around for solutions, he finally snaps his fingers as an idea pops in his mind. 

He can give it to his neighbor! That's right, you're a genius Kim Taehyung. But— its way past midnight and maybe his neighbor is already sleeping.....? Or maybe not. The lights on the living room from his neighbor's house is still as he peeks outside his window. Taehyung nods his head with a grin. 

He takes out a box that he found on one of the cabinets and packs five cupcakes. Putting on his slippers, he walks towards the house while humming happily. He hopes his neighbor loves it. Standing in front of the house, he rang the bell and waits. When there is no signs of a footstep, he rang again. Still, there's silence. Hmmm, maybe his neighbor is upstairs? He tried knocking this time in case the bell is malfunctioned. A few more knocks and he finally hears some movements inside. With a smile, he prepares to introduce himself to the new neighbor. 

"I hope he's not a hot-tempered old man" he said to himself. Then, the doors open. And oh, instead of an old man, he is met with a much younger person. Probably in his age.

"Uhm, hello. I am your new neighbor. I hope I'm not disturbing you because you see, I baked some cupcakes and—" before he got a chance to finish his words, the guy in front of him snaps.

"I was sleeping, man"

And he slams the door, leaving the new neighbor stunned. Well, he didn't get a hot-tempered old man. But he indeed got a hot-tempered young, good looking man. Oh well, not that it matters because how rude?! 

Well, it is true that taehyung is kinda in the wrong because who the heck delivers cupcakes at 2 in the morning?! But its that guy's fault too for not turning off the lights so how can he know whether he's already asleep or not??

With a grumbling pout, he turns his heels and is met with a shorter male that happens to come at the right time when he got shuts off by the rude guy. The shorter male looks at him apologetically and rushes to taehyung's side, his right hand holding a tiny plastic bag. 

"Hi. Uhh, excuse my friend  for his rudeness. But he's kinda drunk right now so he's not in his right mind. Usually he's calm and collected although sometimes a little y but I swear he only gets grumpy when he's drunk" the short male explains in a rush. Taehyung's mouth forms an 'O' as he nods his head, understanding the situation. He then grins and proceeds to excuse himself. He could give the cupcakes tomorrow morning.

"Wait—haha. I mean, you're gonna give that to him, right? Uh, who are you by the way? I've never seen you before" 

Taehyung looks at the small box containing the cupcakes and lifts his gaze back to the short male. 

"Oh, this? I made some cupcakes and came here to give some to him. I just moved here today and got bored. That's why I made these. There's some extra and I can't finish them all alone. My name's Kim Taehyung, if you're wondering" taehyung smiles, extending his hand for a handshake. The short male accepts it with a grin. 

"I see. I can take them in, if you don't mind" 

"Oh sure, here you go" Taehyung hands him the box of cupcakes. 

"And my name is Park Jimin. And that one from earlier, is Jeon Jungkook" 

Taehyung nods his head. 

Ahh~ So his hot-tempered neighbor's name is Jeon Jungkook. 

"Alright. Well, I gotta go. See you around, jimin. That is if you live around here" taehyung grins. 

"Sure, I live two streets from here so its not very far. See you around, I guess?"

Taehyung nods. With one last look at the house, he then leaves. 

"I hope he likes the cupcakes, though. Haah, first day into moving and I already made a bad first impression on my new neighbor" with a solemn walk, he locks the door to his house.