Chapter 2 - Roommates

How I Sleep

Jeongyeon woke up to the sound of plastic bags rustling before the van doors were pulled open. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and noticed her hands were damp. She looked around and found the cup of yoghurt laying by her feet. She grabbed it and climbed out the vehicle, ambling towards their dorm. She instinctively glanced at the other van in search of Momo, but it was already driving off. She continued walking up to their apartment with a few other members in tow.

Stepping through the front door she spotted Momo and Chaeyoung already in the kitchen by the sink, splashing water all up their arms and face. She noticed yoghurt on Momo's cheek, on her shirt, on Chaeng's neck, indicating it had either been a very bumpy ride or a very very playful recording of Mochaeng TV. A knot was building in the pit of her stomach as she thought about walking past them to place the yoghurt in the fridge. She left it on the counter by the door instead and headed straight for her room.

After dropping her bag on the dresser she let her body collapse onto the bed, arms limp at her side, face buried in her pillow. She didn't like this feeling building inside of her. She knew what It was, it's initial the same as her own, but refused to acknowledge it. She has built herself up to be confident and strong, and to admit this feeling would be to hack at that armour with the blade called insecurity. She dragged in a long breath and tried to groan away the knot in her stomach, her voice muffled by the pillow.

Just then she heard her door crack open. She froze, the room going silent. She didn't want Momo to see her like this. Momo wasn't doing anything wrong, it was just her own stupid feelings making issues where there shouldn't be. As she contemplated whether to pretend to be asleep or to turn and greet Momo, a voice broke the silence.

"Hey lazy we've got the pancakes ready and are about to dump some ice cream on them. Which flavour you want on yours?" Jihyo's voice boomed as it reverbs around the room.

"You know.. actually I'm good, thanks. Enjoy." Jeongyeon muttered, lifting her face from the pillow, just enough to be audible.

"Wha- wasn't this your idea? We've already got a plate for you ready."

Jeongyeon considered gorging on some desserts, maybe she could drown the feelings in sugar and sweets. But then she thought about having to get up, having to be in the living room, and what Momo would be up to next since seeing her earlier.

"Really, im good. Just give mine to Momo."

Having not even turn to glance at Jihyo, she missed Jihyo cynically raising an eyebrow at her as she replied:

"Suit yourself."

The door clicked shut and Jeongyeon's face reconnects with her pillow. Her mind continues mulling over her earlier thoughts, so much so she didn't notice someone enter the room until she felt next to her a depression in the mattress and a hand gently resting on her back. She startles at the touch but calms immediately after hearing her roommate's voice.

"Jeongyeonnie, are you feeling okay?"

The worry in her voice touches Jeongyeon with just a hint of warmth. Jeong turns her head to look at her roommate sitting beside her before answering:

"Yeah, just tired and out of it I suppose." She lies, but it was necessary. "Why?"

"Well Jihyo said I could have your plate. I've never seen you turn down a great dessert."

"It's okay Momo. Besides, more for you~" Jeongyeon says softly with a smile.

Momo smiles at the sentiment, reminding Jeongyeon that no matter what turmoil she has within her, nothing takes it away as quick and as effective as seeing Momo happy.

"Well then I better get back to it before all that's left is two plates of soggy pancakes" Momo giggles, getting up on her feet.

Jeongyeon simply nods, her smile still present. Momo takes the cue and practically skips out of the room, but not before stopping and turning just as she was closing the door.

"Go ahead and sleep first if you're tired, I'll join you later." Momo says before she shut the door.

Jeongyeon sits up. She looks around the room and at how every inch of it is filled with their belongings. Momo's stuffed toys littering the bed and the floor, Her own Lego sets adorning the shelves, Both their wardrobe collections hanging intertwined in the open cupboard. She observes them all as Momo's words bounces around in her head and found herself silly for feeling that way earlier. It shouldn't matter who Momo spends the day with, because at the end of it Momo comes back to their room, their bed. She ran this thought through her head multiple times, until the feeling went away.

Her moping around had left the room in quite a mess. Her own bag just dumped on the dresser, Momo's purse on the chair with its contents spilling out, Momo's plush companions pushed off the bed. It was unsightly at the least, but her main worry would be Momo losing her things. She gets up to spruce up the room, arranging her and Momo's belongings nicely. As she was picking up the various stuffed characters and laying them nicely on the bed she could hear Momo's piercing laughter through the door. A part of her finds comfort in hearing Momo's laughter. Another part starts wondering what she's laughing about. Another wanted to go out to join in the fun, but she has already said she was tired. The last part is where the feeling started creeping back in.

She was now actually tired from wrestling with her thoughts. She did a quick wipe-down of her make-up before shutting the lights and crawling under the covers. The dark seemed to silence the room even more, making the living room more audible through the door. She pulled her blanket over her head to muffle it out.

"She'll join me later." Jeongyeon thought to herself, hanging on the thought till she fell asleep.

------------------------------

As the towering figures started converging over her Jeongyeon jolted herself awake, panting and sweating in the darkness. She immediately shut her eyes, paranoid and unsure if she'd finally escaped her sleep paralysis. Her heart stopped when something grabbed her hand.

"It's okay, sleep~" a soft raspy voice soothes her racing heart.

She didn't need to open her eyes. Her heart slowed it's pace, and Jeongyeon fell back to sleep.