Chapter 1 - First Signs

How I Sleep

Another day of busy schedules had ended and they all couldn't be more excited to retreat back into the comforts of their dorm. They waited at the roadside for their vans to pick them up, but it was taking longer than usual. Jeongyeon saw some members walking towards the convenient store nearby and headed after them. Better to shop a little than wait on the street. She caught up to Jihyo and Nayeon already running their fingers along the products on their shelf, looking for anything good to snack on later. She could hear Sana laughing along with Mina somewhere towards the back, and could see Tzuyu's head poking over the shelves as she paced the aisles.

"We should make pancakes tonight!" Jihyo suddenly suggested.

"Pancakes for dinner? Thats just wrong. Pancakes are for breakfast" Nayeon retorted with a cynical expression.

"We'll just add ice cream and make it a dessert then~" Jeongyeon butted in, earning the excited giggles of agreement from the two. The trio then scurried over to the refrigerators to pick out a tub.

While looking through the flavours Jeong spotted Momo's favourite yoghurt. Strawberry! Sweet and pink, not unlike the girl herself. She perked her head up, looking for Momo in the store.

"Momoring!" She called out, but the only response she got was from the manager at the door calling out to the girls that the vans had arrived. Nayeon and Jihyo brisked to the cashier with their loot. Jeong grabbed two cups of the yoghurt, figuring Momo would probably enjoy eating it with her on their drive back, and followed suit.

The Convenient Store Sub-Unit left with bags in hand, each filled with their own little wants and cravings. As they walked back to the vans engaged in a hearty discussion of just what to add on their 4 layered pancake á la mode, Jeongyeon involuntarily stopped in her tracks when she saw Momo standing by the vehicles, her chin resting on Chaeyoung's shoulder and her arms around her waist from behind while Chaeng held the team's camcorder in her hand presumably watching something together.

Jeongyeon had paused for only about a second, but it was enough for her to notice how she indeed wasn't moving, and had to push herself forward to join the rest of the members already a few steps ahead. Her heart had skipped a beat at the sight, but not in the good way. She could feel starting to tense up, but she ultimately shook it off and pushed it down. As they approached the vans Jeong reached into her bag to pull out the cup of yogurt and a plastic spoon. She walked up to the pair, yogurt and spoon outstretched in front of her before once again calling out:

"Momoring!"

Momo raised her head from its perch on Chaeng's shoulders to look at her roommate and what she had in her hand. Her eyes widened and she detached herself from the younger girl before skipping over to Jeong, smiling. What troubles Jeongyeon had felt earlier melted away as quick as snow falling on the sun when she saw Momo's face lighting up. It filled her with warmness, a comfortable contrast to the cool breeze around them.

"Is that Strawberry?! I love this brand too!!" A voice called out from behind. Chaeng came over to see what had Momo so excited. Jeong smiled and nodded, hiding the feeling of regret that she didn't get a cup for Chaeyoung. Of course the Strawberry Princess would've also loved some strawberry yoghurt too! She couldn't help but feel a sense of guilt she didn't think of getting a cup for the youngest she so adored.

Jeongyeon looked down into her bag again wanting to surrender her own to Chaeng as they rode in different vans and she could always share Momo's cup in their van. Momo wasn't one to share food but she had never minded feeding a few spoonfuls to her roommate. But that's when she noticed. All that's left in the bag was a single cup of yoghurt. No spoon. The clerk must've mistakenly placed only one in the bag. She the spot and tried to quickstep her way back to the store to grab one but was shortly after stopped by their manager, who after a short argument insisted they already had to leave and to just eat the yoghurt back at the dorm. Jeong eventually gave in, thinking although it would've been less chilled by then, Chaeng would've probably still enjoyed it.

She turned to walk back to her van, where everyone was already inside and seated. She climbed in, only to find Mina sitting pristinely in Momo's seat. She wondered aloud where Momo was and Mina told her Momo was in the other van ahead of them as they wanted to film Mochaeng TV's "strawberry yoghurt mukbang" as Momo had put it.

Jeongyeon just sat down. She looked up through the windscreen and could see in the van in front of them unmistakably the silhouette of her roommate feeding someone holding a camcorder up in front of them, before she had to look away. The warmness she felt jusy moments earlier was gone. All she felt was the coldness in her palm spreading up her arms as she held the cup in her hand, an eerie foreshadowing of things to come.