Chapter 3 - Mornings

How I Sleep

Jeongyeon wakes up to warmth and tangled limbs. She must've been tossing and turning from the nightmares as Momo would hold her tight and close when she does. She takes a moment to indulge in the closeness before gently peeling Momo's arm off herself and slides out from the covers, sitting at the edge of the bed. Momo was still. Her rhythmic breathing was the only sound in the room, punctuated by the occasional mumbling in her sleep. She looked so comfortable, almost pristine, except for the few stray hair strands littered about her face. Almost instinctively Jeongyeon daintily sweeps them off, a soft smile on her face as she watches this person she adores so much dozing comfortably. A sense of content grows in her chest and it it rejuvenates her morning. She planned it all out in her head in a minute.

-wake Momo up
-let Momo use the bathroom first to get ready
-peel the boiled eggs in the fridge and prepare egg mayo sandwhiches
-have a nice breakfast with Momo
-shower and get ready for work
-head out to work together

Jeongyeon hops onto her feet. Her hair is tangled and messy but with a few run-throughs with her fingers she has it tucked behind her ears. She leans down and gently Momo's arm as she coos:

"Momoring, it's morning. You should get ready~"

Momo groans weakly before her eyes flutter open. The morning light pouring in through the window was soft but bright enough to make her squint. She sees a blurry jeongyeon standing at the bedside and casted her a smile. She sees Jeongyeon smile back before walking towards the door.

"Go ahead and use the bathroom first, I gotta do something in the kitchen" she heard Jeongyeon comment as she left the room. Momo wiped the sleep from her eyes, pulled her towel off the rack and sauntered to the bathroom.

Jeongyeon promptly gets to work. She skips over to the refrigerator and yanks it open, taking out the eggs she had boiled a few days earlier. She pulls a bowl out of the cabinet and sets it on the counter, rolled her sleeves up to her elbow and cracks an egg on the rim to start peeling it.

"YA!" Jeongyeon yelps as the egg instead shatters in her hand, raw egg white splattering everywhere as yolk slid down the side of the bowl and quickly spread over the countertop. She stood, shook, looking at the huge mess before and all over herself. Her hand clenched into a fist as she turns and yells through the kitchen door:

"WHO MIXED UP THE RAW EGGS WITH THE BOILED ONES"

Jeongyeon's voice could be heard echoing through their dorm but there was predictably no response. She grumbled a few curses to herself before heading back to the fridge. She stares at the egg tray, picking out a few shady looking ones and shaking them in her hand trying to feel if they were boiled or raw. After another botched egg crumbles and slithers into the bowl, she pulls out a pot and immediately fills it with water and several unidentified eggs before setting it alight.

"If its raw it'll boil if it's boiled it'll stay boiled" Jeongyeon mutters as she wipes away the crime scene of a wasted breakfast meal from the counter top.

She readies the jar of mayonnaise, Momo's own from her favourite brand, before leaning against the countertop waiting for the eggs to cook. The prep hasn't been smooth so far but Jeongyeon looks forward to sharing the meal with Momo. Momo has a specific smile that goes up to her eyes reserved only for when she's eating something delicious. That smile could cure Jeongyeon of any ailments, and one of main factors in Jeongyeon's interest to learn cooking.

About 7 minutes pass before she gets to peeling them. Rolling to the centre of the bowl the freshly peeled eggs sat beautifully oval with a nice smooth and shiny finish before they were violently mashed, drowned in mayonnaise and mixed about in the bowl.
She sprinkles in a little chopped parsley before spreading it over toasted bread.
She prepares it nicely on a plate, one for her and one for Momo, before bringing it out to the dining table, smiling that her work's finally done and looking scrumptious.

"Momoring~ once you're done I made us some breakfast~" Jeongyeon sings as she walks towards the bathroom door.

She turns the corner and sees it left open, silent, with steam still escaping into the hallway. She peeks in and sure enough Momo was nowhere in sight. Just then she heard her room door close and her head snaps to it's direction.

Momo was already dressed in a nice casual sweater top paired with comfy jeans. Her hair tied neatly in a top bun, her round glasses adorned over her eyes and her purse clutched under her arm. She closes the door shut before turning and spots Jeongyeon creeping around the bathroom door.

"Jeongyeonie, you're not getting ready yet?"

Jeongyeon breaks into a smile when she sees Momo. "Not yet, but you're all ready so quick today! This is perfect, I made us some breakfast I thought we could-"

"Breakfast? Oh.. Jeongyeon-ah. You weren't around last night but I made plans to have breakfast with Chaeng today. She found this new cafe that apparently makes the best French toast and-"

"Oh." Jeongyeon interrupts, her smile starting to fade. "Are you going there straight away?"

"..well yeah, Chaeng's probably already there she texted me she was on the way awhile ago and-"

"i made us some egg mayo sandwiches, your favourite." Jeongyeon says as she turns her head to look at them set nicely on the table.

"Ah jeongyeon-ah you really shouldn't have. I hope you didn't go through too much trouble for this" Momo expresses apologetically, squeezing Jeong's hand briefly before making her way towards the door instead.

"It's.. No it was fine." Jeongyeon mopes after her. "Do you wanna take it with you? To snack on on your way?"

"No it's okay, Im really looking forward to that french toast Chaeng kept talking about."

Momo finishes putting on her shoes before turning to the door and stepping out. She looks to Jeong and shoots her a smile.

"I'll see you later at work then Jeongyeonie. Oh!! Pack it with you and maybe I'll have it for lunch later!"

"Heh yeah.. okay.. be well Momo-ya. I'll see you later." Jeongyeon smiles weakly, waving Momo off before closing the door.

*click*

Silence and stillness was all that was left in the room. It was like Momo left and took the morning light with her. Jeongyeon drags her feet over to the dining table and sat down in front of the neglected sandwiches. She slouches over, her head in her hands elbows resting on the table top. She hates this feeling.

"Morning Jeongyeonie!" A bubbly voice shatters the overbearing silence. "Ah! You made breakfast? How sweet of you!"

"I.. did, yes.. I thought it'd be nice to have a light homemade breakfast this morning."

"I don't think it counts as a light breakfast if you're planning to eat two of them"

"Oh right.. no I actually wanted to share it with someone but sh-"

"I'm someone!" she declares before disappearing into the kitchen. Glasses clinking and cabinet doors swinging were all you could hear before she reappears with two tall glasses of orange juice in each hand. She sits down across from Jeongyeon, sliding the orange juice over to her.

"Delicious sandwiches, refreshing drinks, beautiful morning sun. All we need now is to get rid of that frown" teases Sana. 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You so much to everyone for being interested and reading! I apologize if the updates are slow and little >.< I'm just getting into this and WOW is it hard to write! But I am enjoying it and hope you do too!

Do leave a comment on your thoughts and/or any suggestions! 😁

 

Shoutout to Jeongyeonasaur if you're still reading this, it all started from her CuriousCat 🤙🏼

Also shoutout to Kim for sharing the link this story that one time 🤙🏼