The Beginning and the End part.1

The One that Torn Apart

 

           The admission process to get into the Shinhan University had eaten six months of the previous winter, and driven each of the prospective students with open houses, meet and greets, intense interviews with students councils, screenings, and not to mention tests.  Each student was evaluated on their own merits.  Shinhan University was one of the few coed private university in Seoul — most of the old established schools were single — the admissions letters had come at the end of March, and had been anticipated with anxiety.  Some of the students admitted that it was more than crazy, but they agreed that it was worth it.

           “Probably one of the best days in our life, isn’t it, Sehun-ah?”  

           Usually, Byun Baekhyun loved the hot weather, but he was having a tough time with it today.  Queuing for resubmission form in the middle of…  maybe more than one hundred students that were confirmed to have passed the acceptance tests, made him hardly move in the heat.  His ankles and feet felt like they were going to swell, even though he was sure he had put on his most comfortable sneakers.

            And oh, no.  He was not queuing for his own behalf.  He was there simply for his boyfriend, Oh Sehun, who was one year younger than him.  Baekhyun himself was already a student in this infamous Shinhan University, that was why he strongly suggested his boyfriend to take the same path with him.  What could be more wonderful for a couple to be able to spend more time in togetherness each and every day?  They first met in their high school days, went to the same school with one grade difference — naturally because Sehun was one year younger — and Baekhyun did have a difficult time when he had to graduate and move to the next level in a different environment, without Sehun.

 

           Byun Baekhyun was the top of his class, great marks plus great looking, making him a bit outstanding from the rest, yet humbly he insisted that there were many else excelled better than him.  This character of him was the main reason why many would find him easily to love.  But there was only one person who managed to ‘steal’ his heart in the end.  He and Oh Sehun had been going out for two years now.  They were standing on the University steps, talking to each other, Sehun’s graceful body swaying ever slightly in Baekhyun’s direction, as their eyes met from time to time.  They shared the same barely guarded secret that many of the kids at their age did.  They were in love with each other, had been sleeping with each other for the past year, and had been sweethearts, with vague but unspoken plans to wind up together one day. 

           Sehun’s dark brown hair shine in the summer sunshine, with copper lights that seemed to be reflected in his dark brown eyes.  He was tall — moderately taller than his boyfriend — broad shouldered, and athletic, had a perfect smile that when he beamed, it seemed that the whole room surround him would be gleaming with extra brightness.  He looked the way every young man wished he could, but a few do.  But more than that, he was a cheerful kid, though often he would act shy.  He had always been a good student, and had two jobs to help him supporting his own education.  His parent had very little money with three kids to support, and often just managed to get by.  But they always did.

           When his boyfriend encouraged him to enrol to the same university, Sehun did have doubts in his heart.  Would he be able to afford it?  He did not have a heart to ask more money from his family, and scholarships were not available.  Sehun’s family was not as orderly as Baekhyun’s.  He had a brother and a sister, and their life had pretty much fallen apart two years before, when his dad died.  He was a construction worker, and was killed in a freak accident.  It left the family financially desperate and stunned.  He worked hard ever since, being the eldest son in the family.  They needed every penny he could earn.  He even planned if every it was not possible to continue his education, he would work full time as a store keeper, a dishwasher, or even a janitor.  And he did not really mind.  He was not the student Baekhyun was, and in fact, he was relieved to have a break from school.  He liked working, loved his brother and sister, and was happy to help his mom in whatever way he could.  They had gotten pitifully little money from his dad’s insurance, and things had been tough for a long time. 

 

           Yet, Baekhyun opposed him. He had always been the sweet spot in his life. Baekhyun’s hair as soft as his, his eyes as deep as the starry sky, he was beautiful inside and out, and Sehun loved him.  Baekhyun worried about his dropping out school, and told him that the only way to get a better future start from a better education.  Baekhyun knew about his family, his financial condition, yet the man loved him nonetheless. 

           Everyone in the class said they were the perfect couple, they were always together, always laughing, talking, joking, happy, and they never seemed to fight.  As much as they were boyfriends, they were also best friends.  And because of that, Sehun had fewer friends than he might have otherwise.  They spent every minute together they could.

           For this reason, too, Baekhyun wanted him to go to the same college.  So they could attend together, and saw each other at night.

Yes.

           They had lived in the same apartment for some time now.  When Baekhyun had graduated from their high school, he could not bear to stay apart from Sehun for too long.  He asked permission from his parents, as their families had long known about their relationship anyway, to stay together with Sehun.  And Baekhyun’s parent did not mind having Sehun as part of them.  They were both so conscientious, their parents no longer complained about how much their closeness, and that was why they were never apart.

           And as they stood at the center of a cluster of newly registered college students, they had kept it a secret between them, but Baekhyun had paid for his college fee.  Without his help, Sehun found it impossible to study in this kind of place.  And Baekhyun smiled up at him now, genuinely feeling proud that he made it.  Two years of love and confidences and secrets between them, and his eyes seemed never ceased to light up like fireworks when he looked at Sehun.

 

           “Sehun-ah, it’s getting hot and I don’t think the line is getting any faster.”  Baekhyun said.

           He knew that.  Sehun looked at the long queue in front of him.  It was inevitable.  Yet he felt guilty for having Baekhyun here with him, for his own interest.  “I’m sorry, Hyung.  It seems that I’ve troubled you-“

            “What are you talking about?  I want to be here with you.  I don’t want to miss a chance like this!  This is officially your first day in college, and I want to be part of it!  I want to witness it with my own eyes.”  Baekhyun replied.

            He smiled.  Though his boyfriend seemed to be grumbling at him, he knew Baekhyun meant well.  And he was grateful for it.

            “I’m getting us some drinks.  What do you want?”  Baekhyun asked.

            “Anything.  Plain water is enough for me.”  Sehun answered smilingly.

            Baekhyun beamed in return.  “I’ll get the cold ones for us.  Wait here, and don’t let anyone cut our line.”  He pouted, and his pouting lips made Sehun smile wider.

            Baekhyun finally managed to tear himself away from the lining crowds, leaving Sehun who kept looking at him until he could not see the young man anymore.  Sehun sighed.   He just hoped the line would be lesser faster, so he and Baekhyun could dismiss themselves, and Baekhyun did not have to undergo the hot weather anymore.

 

“So, you’re here.”

 

            A familiar voice greeted him, and Sehun glanced at the owner of the voice in instant.  Park Chanyeol.  He knew this young man very well.  He was his senior, one year older than him, same age level as his boyfriend.  In fact, Chanyeol was in the same class with Baekhyun, that was how they got to know each other.  He was a tall man, with strong face figure and wavy brown hair, and indeed a man with athletic ability.  After a few days Baekhyun and he officially made up as a couple, shockingly he learned that Chanyeol had a feeling for his boyfriend as well.  And it changed the whole relationship between them.  He knew Chanyeol despised him for his relationship with Baekhyun, yet Sehun understood why.

            The closeness between Baekhyun and Chanyeol — before Sehun made up with Baekhyun — was very obvious.  They liked the same music, the same people, the same food.  In fact, most people were guessing that Chanyeol and Baekhyun would end up as a couple, and it was natural.  Yet, when Baekhyun chose to go out with Sehun, it was surprising for everybody and even Sehun himself found it unbelievable.  That was why Sehun could not be grateful enough to have Baekhyun by his side.  Though, he knew for sure…  not everyone was as happy as he was…  to see Baekhyun and him as a couple.

 

“Hi, Hyung,” Sehun murmured, his voice soft. 

            “I can’t believe you finally made it here.”  Chanyeol stared at him, a smirk slowly appeared on his handsomely framed face.  His eyes were dark, never leaving Sehun’s.  “Though it is actually quite predictable.  Now that you have Baekhyun-ssi loyally by your side.”

            Sehun bit his lip.  He knew where this was going.  So, he said nothing in return, just bending his head deeper, embarrassed.

            “I’m sure by now, you can’t be thankful enough for having him to support you in every aspect in your life.”  Chanyeol resumed.  “Let’s see,”  he brushed his hair with one hand.  “I heard that you’ve been staying together with him all this time in his apartment, and I bet he’s the one who prepares you breakfast, lunch and dinner, sending you to school, maybe picking you up, and even do your laundry, too?”

            Sehun flushed, blinking his eyes repeatedly.  He knew how it looked like.  He looked like-

            “After he has taken so much trouble to support you, what did you do in return?”

Nothing.

 

           Tears started to pool in Sehun's eyes, as he heard those words.  Nothing he did in return.  Nothing could be compared with what Baekhyun had done for him. 

           Chanyeol sighed.  He disliked Sehun, and he was not afraid to show the young man that he hated him, hated his behaviour, his hopelessness.  He knew Baekhyun from his childhood, they had been best friends for years, and Chanyeol wanted only the best for him.  And Sehun might be the worst option Baekhyun had ever made.  This boy came from a broken family, though he did understand it was not fully the boy’s mistake, still this boy’s life was going to bring more sadness only into Baekhyun’s life, instead the happiness Baekhyun deserved.  Baekhyun deserved for someone much better, someone who could give him the world and Sehun would never be able to do such thing.  Chanyeol never met someone as kind as Baekhyun before, and in his eyes, Sehun was someone who used Baekhyun’s kindness for granted, and he despised him for that.

            “Just be honest…  you coming here…  it’s all because of him…  he paid all of this, did he?”  Chanyeol asked, fixing Sehun with his stern stare.

Sehun’s face was aflame.

           “You don’t need to answer that.  I know it anyway.”  Chanyeol inhaled sharply, he did not look pleased.  “Because it’s surely impossible for someone like you to attend lessons here, if he doesn’t help you — financially.”

           Sehun felt he wanted to cry for real now.  It was true -- a really ugly truth.

           “You are always supported by him.  How much do you think that’d cost him?  How much do you think to shape the way you are?”  Chanyeol’s tone was sharp.  “I just hope you appreciate all the things he has done for you.  Don’t ever hurt him.  He could choose someone much, much better than you are, yet he gave his heart for you only.  So, I really hope it meant something for you.”  He swallowed hard. 

“I understand.”  Sehun’s voice was weak and shaking, apologetic.

 

           “Chanyeol-ssi?”  Baekhyun was back, carrying two cans of coke which he immediately passed one to Sehun, smilingly.  He missed Sehun’s teary eyes as he glanced back at Chanyeol.  “I don’t know you’re here.  I should’ve bought more for you.”

           “It’s ok.  I have to get going anyway.  I have some unfinished project papers that I should’ve submitted two weeks ago.  I hope the lecturer doesn’t mind getting them this late.” 

           “I see.  Anyway, you should’ve known by now that Sehun is going to be a part of our college, too!”  Baekhyun beamed.  “We should be able to hang out together more now!”

           “Oh.  I’ll bear that in mind,” Chanyeol murmured.  “Though I’m not sure I’d fit between you guys.” 

           “Eyyy, why do you say that?”  Baekhyun tilted his head to one side, a big smile playing on his lips.  “It’s going to be fun.”

          “Isn’t it obvious?”  Chanyeol gazed at Sehun, and Sehun teared his eyes away from Chanyeol’s scrutiny, and stared blindly down at the chilling can in his hands.  “I’ll catch up with you later,” he said, as he paced away, waving at Baekhyun who returned his wave with a smile. 

 

If only Baekhyun knew…

 

           “Go open it!”  Baekhyun retrieved the can from Sehun’s hand and peeled it open.  “I’m sure you’re thirsty!”  He beamed wider.

“Thank you,” Sehun whispered, his voice deadly quiet. 

           “Well, at least the line is starting to move faster.”  Baekhyun announced cheerfully.  “Once we’re done with your submission, I’d like to show you around.  You need to know important places here, where to find the councils, lecturers, the clubs, and perfect spots to be alone, or only the two of us,” his face flushed bright pink as he said that.

            When Sehun remained quiet, Baekhyun started to notice that there was something unusual

            “What’s wrong?”  His gaze was intense now, all humour gone.  He clutched Sehun’s arm now, and leaned against him.  He knew Sehun well enough to sense the sadness emanating through the boy.

“Nothing, Hyung.”

“Don’t lie.  You must be thinking of something.”

           “It’s just—“  Sehun swallowed hard now.  Chanyeol’s words had been repeating in his head, and he was haunted by the clarity of the truth inside those words.  “Why— why are you so kind to me, Hyung?”

           What?  “What are you talking about?  I thought you’ve known it all along,” he said, gently touching Sehun’s hand.  Touching him seemed like the best way of communicating with the younger boy sometimes, and Baekhyun felt closer than ever to him.  “That I love you and love doesn’t need a reason to display kindness.”

 

           Sehun inhaled sharply now, and tears began to pool again in his eyes.  “But I don’t think I deserve your kindness.  I don’t—“  a lone tear strayed down his fair cheek, and Baekhyun was surprised to witness it.  “I don’t even think I deserve your love.”

           “That’s a silly thing to say.”  Baekhyun squeezed Sehun’s hand tighter now.  “You have every reason to be loved by someone, and not by me only.  And you shouldn’t doubt yourself.”

Sehun bent his head and shook.  No.  That was not true.

           “Can we not talk about this now, Sehun-ah?  You’re standing in front of a door of opportunity to make your future brighter.  Our future.  Thinking of these useless things are not making you any better.  Please.”

Sehun lifted his hand and wiped the tears from his eyes with the back of his hands. 

           “From now on, just think of our future.  Here and now I love you.  Our choice defines our future, and I know, I’ve chosen you, so that’s made you my future, too.”

But was it really worth it?  Him — to be chosen.

            Sehun did not know the answer — nor even wanting to know it.  But looking at Baekhyun’s eyes lit up when he smiled, Sehun knew one thing for sure…

 

For the moment, he had Sehun’s heart — forever.

 

***