sirloin chop

it's not butch love (I swear)

Ha Sooyoung was bored out of her mind. It was a typical Saturday morning, yet she had absolutely nothing to do. When deciding to watch television instead, the only available channels were the shopping channels and morning cartoons. She was not going to waste her whole morning watching 'Dirt Girl World' even if her boredom was practically unbearable. 

 

 

She returned to her bedroom and collapsed on the bed, wanting to fall back asleep but the sound of her mom's vacuuming said otherwise. Annoyed, she stomped down the stairs loudly so her mother could hear and sat back on the couch in a sulking manner.

 

"There's nothing to do," she muttered under her breath.

 

Sooyoung then thinks that either her mom has super hearing or really big ears since her barely audible comment could be heard even with the vacuuming noises in the background.

 

"You're bored honey?" Her mother asks, raising her voice higher so it could be heard by Sooyoung, "Then can you be a darling and run a quick errand for me?"

 

Sooyoung dreaded this outcome. She was too lazy to move her off the couch just for a quick errand so early in the morning. 

 

(The actual reason was her had already warmed the seat but you didn't hear that from her).

 

"What type of errand?" Sooyoung asks, not sounding even the slightest bit interested.

 

"There's a new butcher shop that recently opened up around the corner. Why not you buy their freshest meat so I could make lunch today?"

 

The butcher's? 

 

This early in the morning? 

 

She groaned loudly, hoping her mother would see her reluctance of doing the task and leaving the house. But her mother was dead set on having the freshest meat for lunch today.

 

"If it makes you feel any better, the butcher is pretty cute, if I do say so myself."

 

Sooyoung's face turned slightly red as she groaned further into embarassment. It was great that her mother was accepting of her uality but it was somewhat unsettling when her mother tries to set her up with every girl she found cute. 

 

Heck, she can't even check out a girl in peace without a smirk appearing on her mother's face! Sooyoung procrastinated her movement and continued to laze on the couch before hearing a threat from upstairs.

 

"If you don't quit your whining right now Ha Sooyoung-"

 

She instantly sprung to her feet and ran in big steps towards the door while grabbing the money her mother left on the table. She was not going to face her mom's signature iron pinch again. She learnt her lesson already the last time when she didn't make the curfew.

 

It was basically a ghost town when she opened the front door. Nobody would be up and about at such an ungodly hour. The only people she saw were a few joggers and a completely wasted man sleeping next to a trash bin.

 

She unfolded the piece of paper that contained the list of meat her mother wanted and the address of the shop. A gush of cold air was blown in her face, making her shiver and her teeth chatter. It wasn't helping that she was walking out in the cold weather clad in only an oversized shirt and sweats. She's walked too far to turn back home to fetch her jacket now, so she continued her journey despite the harsh cold.

 

She sighs to herself. Oh well. She might as well look forward to the cute girl her mother mentioned moments ago. It was hard to admit but her mother had quite the eye when it came to pretty girls. Too bad those girls mostly ended up being straight or they were already committed to another significant being.

 

Sooyoung chuckles bitterly to herself. She can't believe she was going to try her luck and find love at the butcher's.

 

Upon arriving, she found herself admiring the shop of the butcher's and was quite astonished. It was much cleaner and no traces of any unpleasant stench lingered in the shop. The freezer had a range of meats to choose from. She eyed the variety of meats available, every single one seemed like they were of high quality. Sooyoung then noticed that the place was like a desert, with not a single soul in sight. She wonders if the shop had already opened. Suddenly, a small girl with pigtails poked out from behind the counter, catching Sooyoung by surprise.

 

"Oh hello!" she squeaks, "Welcome to Chuu's Meat Platter, only selling the finest range of any type of meat you'd like!"

 

Was this girl the butcher her mother mentioned? If so-

 

Her mother was dead wrong. She's terribly mistaken if she thought the butcher was just a cutie.

 

She was a living, breathing, angel.

 

The way her eyes crinkled when she smiled widely and how her nose scrunches up when she was staring at Sooyoung. Not to mention, the bright flush on her cheeks that'd be hard to miss, probably due to the cold weather and when Sooyoung's eyes strayed further down-

 

Those lips.

 

Oh god, those lips.

 

They seemed so plump and soft, as if it would feel like cotton if anyone touched them. And to even think about feeling those lips against her own-

 

Wow.

 

She really was a lesbian.

 

Sooyoung would have continued to gape at the butcher for another hour if it wouldn't have been for the butcher waving her hands in front of Sooyoung's face.

 

"Uhh, hello?"

 

"Huh?" Sooyoung snaps herself back to reality. , did she just really stood and simply stared at at girl without saying anything for a whole minute? If her mother and friends heard of this, they would never let her live it down. The butcher simply let out a giggle and Sooyoung feels like she wants to hear that exact same sound when heaven welcomes her later.

 

"Can I help you with anything miss?"

 

Somehow, Sooyoung lost the ability to speak and when she tried to move her lips, nothing came out. She kept fumbling for words and she cannot believe she's gay panicking so early in the morning.

 

'Just say something!' she told herself.

 

She remembers the piece of paper clutched in her hand and an idea came to mind. She places the piece of paper on the counter, pushing it slowly towards the butcher with her slightly shaking hands. The butcher raised an eyebrow by Sooyoung's actions but simply took the list and skimmed through it.

 

"So you want these types of meat then, I'm supposing...?"

 

Sooyoung slightly nods her head, unable to meet with the eyes of the very pretty girl.

 

"Got it!" 

 

While the butcher did her work such as choosing the types of meat and weighing them in specific amounts, Sooyoung wonders how such a small girl could do such a heavy job such as this. All the butchers that Sooyoung has ever met were just men and never any women. This was very surprising to her and it made her look at the occupation in a different light. 

 

As the butcher wrapped up all the listed meat that Sooyoung's mother needed, her eyes lingered to the butcher's fingers. They seemed so long and slender that it could be considered a model's hands. She could probably land a role in a nail polish commercial or something. But, something was amiss about her fingers. Sooyoung couldn't quite comprehend it but the realisation struck her so fast. She found herself feeling in dismay.

 

The butcher's nails were quite long.

 

'But of course', Sooyoung thought bitterly to herself. The prettiest girl in the world just had to be straight. Just her luck.

 

The butcher then handed the bags of meat to Sooyoung and in return, was given the necessary amount of money by Sooyoung. Since she was taking her leave, she thought it'd be plain rude to just go without even uttering a single word or even a small smile. She musters up the courage to speak and actually look at the butcher in the eye for once. She was very intimidated by the heavy gaze the girl had but finally managed to say something.

 

"Thanks."

 

The butcher seemed stunned for a few seconds. 'Oh my gosh, what was she so surprised for?' she asked herself in a panicked tone. Did Sooyoung have something on her face? The butcher blinks a few times before reciprocating Sooyoung's words.

 

"Sorry," she chuckles softly, "It's just- I thought all this time, you were mute or something since you didn't say anything."

 

Sooyoung's face turned into a deep red colour, mortified by her own awkwardness. Geez, this really was the worst! To think she was mistaken to be mute just because she couldn't find the right words to say to the butcher!

 

Sooyoung waved her arms around in an exaggerated manner to deny the butcher's assumption.

 

"N-No! I'm not mute-" Sooyoung tried to convince the girl, "I can s-speak just fine!"

 

Sooyoung thinks it might be just her imagination but it seemed that the butcher was actually enjoying the whole scene, with her exaggerated waving gestures and slightly high pitched tone.

 

"They why didn't you just say so earlier?" she slightly pouts, "I was so afraid that I had offended you or something!"

 

'I don't know!' Sooyoung thought exasperatedly to herself, 'Try being in my shoes, talking to a girl as ethereal as you without feeling nervous or stuttering every word you spoke!'

 

But Sooyoung did not say that, of course. 

 

"... I'm sorry," Sooyoung says, lowering her gaze. The butcher then placed her own cheeks against the palm of her hand as she leaned forward on the counter. Sooyoung felt butterflies in her stomach when she makes the mistake of looking at her eyes because it held the most warmest gaze she's ever seen.

 

"No, don't be." She assures Sooyoung. In that moment, everything about the butcher seemed so unreal, the small smile tugging at her lips and the cute mascot apron she was wearing was so endearing. Sooyoung forgets to actually breathe when the butcher traces her fingers on Sooyoung's hands. Was she always this forward with anyone she meets?

 

"You should talk more," the butcher's eyes crinkled again as she grinned from ear to ear, "Your voice sounds so nice to hear."

 

Sooyoung's ears turned red from the unexpected compliment. How and why was she being so smooth?

 

"T-Thank you," she replies shyly to the butcher. The girl then held out her hands in the air and was looking at Sooyoung expectantly.

 

"The name's Jiwoo!" 

 

Sooyoung contemplates the whole situation first before responding.

 

"Ha Sooyoung." 

 

"Oh!" Jiwoo exclaims softly, the corners of her lips curving up, " A beautiful name for a beautiful girl, no?"

 

What.

 

And - did she just wink?

 

Sooyoung lowered her head to hide her redness and just spluttered in response, not finding the right words to say once again. She really did fall for her local butcher, didn't she? Both of them shook hands and Sooyoung found herself admiring the small yet firm grip Jiwoo had. Not to mention, her hands were so soft. They simply stood like that for god knows how long when the phone in Sooyoung's pocket suddenly buzzed. She internally thanks the distraction for saving her from dealing with Jiwoo's flirtatious . Turns out, her mother wanted Sooyoung to hurry up because she wanted to start cooking soon. She bites the inside of her cheek. She didn't want to leave yet but she also didn't want to experience the infamous 'iron pinch' again.

 

"I have to go already..."Sooyoung sighs, her eyes meeting Jiwoo's gaze. The girl then droops her head in-

 

Dissapointment? 

 

Sooyoung thought it was cute.

 

"What a shame! I'd love to talk with you more..."

 

Sooyoung's ears perked up. Did Jiwoo want her to stay longer? Maybe, just the slightest possibility, she actually had a chance.

 

"I guess I'll see you around then!" Jiwoo beamed. Ugh, she was so adorable.

 

Sooyoung's cheeks slightly warmed up and a smile appeared on her face. She nods as she walks out the door and gives a sheepish smile to match with Jiwoo's incredibly bright grin.

 

"Definitely."

 

As Sooyoung walked down the streets, her steps became lighter with every step she took. Before she realised it, she was already skipping in joy. Why wouldn't she be happy anyway? She just met the most wonderful girl in her life and was quite eager to see her soon. She made a quick reminder to thank her mother for being useful in her love life for once.

 

Once she arrived back home, she still couldn't quite erase the giddiness in her body. It must have shown on her face because her mother was giving her a knowing smile.

 

"I'm guessing that things went pretty well then?" 

 

Sooyoung felt a blush spread across her cheeks. Was it that obvious?

 

"I guess she was okay..." Sooyoung lied, hiding the fact she was very much head over heels for Jiwoo. Her mother scoffed at her daughter's blatant lies, shaking her head dissaprovingly. 

 

"Yeah, sure. Did you get her number?"

 

Sooyoung stopped dead in her tracks. She groaned inwardly and her mother sighs in dissapointment, wondering how she raised her daughter to be such a useless lesbian.