Chapter 2

Always By Your Side

Chapter 2

 

Minju opened her eyes and found Yujin looking at her. She lifted the blanket and covered herself with it.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Minju mumbled under the covers.

Yujin lifted the blanket from Minju and smiled sweetly at her.  “Because you are a beautiful sight to wake up to.”

“Sweet talker. You probably talk to all the girls like this.”

Yujin pulled Minju into her arms. “Only to you, my love.”

It was Sunday morning. Minju stayed over at Yujin’s room last night. They had stayed up late watching movies on the tablet. 

“What do you want for breakfast?” Minju asked after awhile. “I will go and make it for us.”

Minju was about to get out of bed when she was pulled back by Yujin.

“Yujin!”

“Don’t get up yet.”

“But aren’t you hungry?” Minju asked as she poked Yujin’s cheeks.

Yujin nodded. “I am but I just want to stay here with you for a little bit longer.”

Minju laughed at the puppy dog look on Yujin’s face. “Fine, we will stay here for a little bit longer.”

Yujin sighed in content as she wrapped her arms around Minju’s waist and leaned her head on Minu’s shoulder. She closed her eyes and breathed in Minju’s comforting scent.


Yujin opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling. It had been 2 weeks since Minju’s funeral. But time had lost its meaning to Yujin ever since Minju was gone.

She picked up the stuff animal that Minju liked to cuddle with whenever she was over and held it close. There was still a faint scent of Minju on it.

“Minju, I miss you…” 

Yujin laid in her bed for a long time. Suddenly, she heard a knock on her door.

“Yujin-unnie? Are you up?”

Yujin did not answered and the person knocked again.

“Yujin-unnie, I’m coming in!”

Yujin heard the door opened and a person walked into the room. The person walked over to the bed and looked down at Yujin.

“Ahn Yujin, you have got to stop doing this.”

“Go away, Wonyoung!”

Jang Wonyoung sighed. She had known Yujin since they were young and she had never seen Yujin like this. The Ahn Yujin that she knew was always confident and full of energy. She was not used to seeing Yujin so down like this.

“Yujin-unnie, it’s been more than 2 weeks since Minju-unnie’s accident. You haven’t gone to school. You just lock yourself up in your room.”

Yujin did not answered and turned to face the wall.

Wonyoung shook her head in defeat. She turned away from the bed and looked around Yujin’s room. There were pictures of Yujin and Minju lined up on Yujin’ desk. Wonyoung picked up one of the picture frames.

Wonyoung still remembered the first time she met Minju. It was not long after Yujin had entered high school.


“Where are you, Ahn Yujin?”

Wonyoung sat alone in a booth inside the busy cafe, waiting for her friend to show up. Yujin asked to meet her at the cafe after school one day. Yujin told her that there’s something important that she had to tell her. 

Wonyoung was happy that Yujin had asked her out as she had not seen Yujin in a few days. The two of them used to go the same elementary and middle school. Even though Yujin was one year older than her, they had always been inseparable in school. This was the first time since they met that they had been in different schools and Wonyoung missed her friend dearly.

Just then, Wonyoung looked up and she could see Yujin’s tall frame walking into the cafe. She was about to call out to Yujin when she noticed the beautiful girl who was walking behind Yujin.

Yujin was holding the girl’s hand and was guiding her towards Wonyoung.

“Wonyoungie!”

“Ahn Yujin, you are late!”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” Yujin flashed Wonyoung a bright smile. “Ah, Wonyoung, I want you to meet someone.”

Yujin pulled the girl forward. “This is Kim Minju, my girlfriend.”

“Your girlfriend?” Wonyoung asked in surprised.

“Hi, I’m Minju. You must be Wonyoung. Yujin talks about you all the time.”

“Ah… It’s nice to meet you.” Wonyoung nodded awkwardly. She was shocked by Yujin’s news as she was not expecting it at all.

Wonyoung watched as Yujin and Minju sat down across from her. Just then, a loose strand of hair fell onto Minju’s face and Yujin reached over and tucked it behind Minu’s ear. Minju mumbled a soft thank you and Yujin grinned happily at her. Wonyoung noticed how at ease they acted around each. It was as if they had known each other for a long time.

“Have you ordered yet?” Yujin asked after she and Minju had settled.

Wonyoung shook her head. “I was waiting for you.”

“Okay, we can order now. You will have the usual?” Yujin asked Wonyoung. 

Wonyoung nodded and Yujin waved the waitress over.

“We will have 2 iced teas and for her,” Yujin pointed at Wonyoung. “She will have a cola.”

The waitress took down their orders and left their table.

“So, how has school been?” Yujin asked Wonyoung after the waitress left.

“Same old, same old.” Wonyoung shrugged. “How about you? How is the new school?”

“It’s great! I have met a lot of wonderful people!” Yujin replied in an excited tone.

“So, the two of you are in the same class?” Wonyoung asked as she pointed at Yujin and Minju.

“Actually, we are not in the same grade.” Minju replied softly.

“Minju-unnie is 2 years older than me..” Yujin explained.

“Oh… Um… So, how did the two of you meet?” Wonyoung asked in surprised.

“I saw Minju-unnie in the school yard one day and I decided that I should go and talk to this beautiful girl, so I went!” Yujin replied with a smug smile on her face.

“Yujin!” Minju blushed.

“That sounds like something Ahn Yujin would do.”

Wonyoung watched as Yujin picked up Minju’s hand and intertwined their fingers together. The two of them looked at each other as if no one else existed. As if Wonyoung was not there with them.

Wonyoung looked away from them awkwardly and decided to busy herself with her phone so she would feel so much like a third wheel...


Wonyoung put the picture frame back on Yujin’s desk and walked to the bed again.

“Yujin, you know Minju-unnie wouldn't want to see you like this.” Wonyoung sat down on the bed and placed her hand on Yujin’s shoulder. “Minju-unnie has always said she loved your confidence and positive energy.”

There was no reaction from Yujin and for a moment, Wonyoung thought her friend had fallen asleep. Suddenly, Yujin turned away from the wall and sat up on the bed.

“Wonyoungie, I miss her. I miss her so much.”

Wonyoung pulled Yujin into her arms and held her tight. Yujin held onto Wonyoung as she cried.