. leisurely walks [6]

let's breakaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


[ Six ]

 

I should have known Shin-Hye wouldn’t make it easy for me.

 

She was off work that next day, a last minute request. Minhyuk assured me it wasn’t because of me but because of her personal circumstances, which again only reminded me of what a horrible friend I was lately. Had I always been so selfish? She was going through a lot and I’d behaved how I did. Maybe I was more like my father than I realised.

 

“She’ll forgive you.” TaeHyung assured me later that night as we strolled along the Han River, one of his favourite things to do.

 

“To forgive me she has to speak to me.” I reminded him.

 

“She will.”

 

“How do you know?” I quickly shook my head, hating the accusation and suspicion in my voice. It didn’t matter that she was his friend too. “Actually, lets change the topic. I don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

 

“Fine. What do you want to talk about?”

 

“Why don’t we talk about you for a change? How’s your course going?”

 

“Fine, now the exams are over.”

 

“When do you graduate?”

 

“June.” I could see the moment he smiled by his expressive eyes. “I can’t wait.”

 

“What will you do when you graduate?”

 

The eye smile vanished and I wondered if I’d said something I shouldn’t. “I’ll help you apply for jobs.” I offered quickly, wondering if that was his worry.

 

Entertaining the entertainment industry wouldn’t be easy, but if it was his dream then I’d stand by him however I could. That’s what friends should do after all. Support one another no matter what.

 

“Thanks.” He murmured, sounding uncomfortable. “Are you hungry?”

 

I noticed his attempt to change the subject and decided to play along.

 

“Always.”

 

“Let’s get some chicken feet and soju!”

 

I crinkled my nose. “Not chicken feet. Beef!”

 

“Beef and soju? What’s wrong with you?”

 

“I don’t like chicken.” I admitted. “When I was younger I ate some and it made me sick.”

 

“Seriously?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Then beef and soju it is!” He announced cheerfully.

 

I rolled my eyes. 

 

Shin-Hye didn’t return to work until Monday. She gave me the cold shoulder and the uncomfortable vibe between us was rubbing off on Minhyuk, who slammed his cloth down on the counter suddenly an hour into the shift and muttered something about ‘stubborn girls’ before grabbing our wrists and dragging us both into the staff room.

 

“Talk it out.” He ordered sternly. “Don’t even think of leaving this room until you do!”

 

When the door slammed behind him and I hear the huff Shin-Hye made and turned towards her, finding her watching me back with her arms crossed.

 

“Well, I guess we better get this over with.” She sneered.

 

“I’m sorry.” Her hostile expression faltered and I quickly press on. “I know you were just trying to be a friend to me and my words were totally uncalled for.”

 

Her head bobs slowly. “They were.”

 

“I really am sorry Shin-Hye.” Even I can hear the whine in my voice. “I wish I could say I didn’t mean them, but the truth is it was my jealousy speaking.”

 

Her eyes widen a fraction. “You were jealous?”

 

“Of you speaking to TaeHyung, yeah. I know it’s pathetic and I know I have absolutely no right to act like that, I honestly regretted it the moment you left. The truth is… I know now why I was such a .”

 

“I’m listening.”

 

I could see she wasn’t angry anymore – If anything she seemed to be enjoying my grovelling. I sighed and

sank down on the sofa, holding my head in my hands in embarrassment.

 

“When I saw you talking to him and getting along with him I began to get scared...”

 

“You thought I liked him and felt threatened.”

 

Hearing her voice aloud my concerns made me cringe. “I have no right to get jealous.”

 

She came and joined me on the sofa, her hand pulling mine away from my face.

 

“You have every right to get jealous. You like him.”

 

“Yeah, I do.” Admitting it made me relax, as though I was finally unburdening some terrible thought. “I have a crush on Kim TaeHyung.”

 

“Was that so hard to admit?”

 

“You knew too?”

 

“I’ve known for a while.” She shrugged. “It’s why I was trying to give you advice. The truth is… That day you two weren’t speaking? I was trying to convince him to speak to you first, because I thought you’d be too stubborn.”

 

“I almost was.”

 

“I didn’t realise how it would look to you, me suddenly speaking to him.”

 

“Do you like him like that?” I asked quietly, needing to know her answer. “If you do it’s fine, I promise not to be weird anymore. Or I’ll try to be.”

 

“I don’t.” She assured me gently.

 

“Really?”

 

“Really. I had a crush on him at first because I’m not blind, but I have nothing in common with him.” Her nose crinkled. “No offence but he’s nothing like I thought he was. I’m sure he’s a nice guy and everything but he’s not my type.”

 

I feel happy at her words and roll my eyes.

 

“I’m a horrible person for being glad you think that, aren’t I?”

 

“No, you were just jealous. We’ve all been there and done that - I’ve been known to be a total nightmare when possessed by the green monster. It’s an ugly thing, but it’s a normal reaction to have when you have a crush.”

 

Normal. Something I was certainly wasn’t.

 

I squeezed her hands holding mine. “I really am sorry.”

 

“I know you are. I’m just glad you can finally admit how you feel.”

 

“… so do you forgive me?”

 

“Of course I forgive you JooHyun, but only on the condition that you stop pretending. You like him – as more than a friend. So tell me what you’re going to do about it.”

 

“Nothing. I’m not going to do anything about it.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because he’s my friend. If I can’t be his friend then I don’t want anything at all. I don’t ever want to ruin what we have now.”

 

“What if he likes you too?”

 

I was shaking my head before she’d even finished speaking. “He’s dealing with a lot right now and I think he’s still not over an ex girlfriend.”

 

Her eyes widened. “Seriously?” I nodded. “Has he said who she is?”

 

“He’s not given me a name or anything, but I know he’s still messed up about it.”

 

I debated telling Shin-Hye how she was stalking him, but decided to leave that detail out. I already suspected she might know who the girl is and didn’t want to go spreading rumours – not that I didn’t trust Shin-Hye. It just wasn’t my place to tell.

 

“Well… That .” She concluded.

 

“Not really. I wasn’t kidding when I told you I wasn’t looking for a relationship, I’m really not. I’m happy to just be his friend and spend time with him. I don’t need anything else complicating what we have.”

 

“But you really like him.”

 

“I have a crush on him, yeah. But I’m sure it will go away.”

 

“I’m not so sure…”

 

“Trust me, it will all work out.”

 

She pulled me to my feet and then into a hug which I quickly returned.

 

“I hope it does work out for you, JooHyun.”

 

When we left the staff room Minhyuk eyed us cautiously. “Well?”

 

“We’ve both come to the conclusion men so we’re going to marry each other.” She told him, deadpan.

 

Minhyuk nodded. “Sounds good. Men are trash!”

 

“Don’t we know it!”

 

I grinned at their banter. It was the type of friendship they had I wanted to have with TaeHyung; easy and uncomplicated. All I needed to do was shake off this silly crush and we could have it, I was sure of it.

 

“Speak of the devil…” Shin-Hye suddenly murmured in my ear and nodded towards the street.

 

I nudged her back and we were giggling as TaeHyung entered the café

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter