. new start [1]

let's breakaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[ One ]

 

I was running from a life that others would die for. 

I knew that some would call me ungrateful, selfish, spoilt... But those people had freedoms a person like me would never had, the main one being the freedom to choose who they wanted to spend the rest of their life with. Did their love lives come with terms and conditions? Strict guidelines and rules they had to adhere to? Did they have to literally choose between love and family? The decision I made wasn't an easy one, I certainly don't take it lightly. I thought about the pros and cons for months, literally agonizing about what I wanted, what would be best for... Well, me. I knew what would be best for everyone else. 

And ultimately, walking away from a 16 billion dollar inheritance was the right thing to do.

"You're just like me, JooHyun." Aunt Kim grinned as she drove me from the airport I'd just landed at to where her apartment was - like a maniac, too. My hands gripped the seat under me. "I turned my back on all that too and look how much happier I am!"

My gaze went to the city around me, at the tall buildings and the crowds of people still on the streets despite it being only just after 7am. I guess Seoul was a lot like New York in that respect; always busy - a city that was always alive. My Aunt had moved here when she was twenty-four when she'd been told she'd have to give up her dream of being an artist and join the family business. Like me she'd had a tough decision to make - to follow her dream, or live comfortably. She'd chosen what some might consider the harder road, but she was right; I could see how happy she was, even if she was a broke artist. 

"Money isn't everything." She continued cheerfully as she took a sharp right that had me sliding into the door. "Sure, sometimes I think it would be nice to have a bigger apartment, to not have to worry about how I'm going to afford the rent or next bill, but at least every choice I make it my own. You can't put a price on freedom."

I nodded. That's all I wanted; the choice. And now I'd made mine I was determined to make this work, to prove to my family that I wouldn't come to regret it, which they warned me I would. There was no going back though, they'd made that clear. When my Father decided something he really meant it. Which meant like my aunt I was no longer part of his empire. 

"You're going to love the studio - it's nothing fancy and doubles as my office when I'm in town, but it has character."

I could definitely see that it would. My aunt lived up to the artist stereotype with her wild fashion consisting of bright contrasting colours, short cropped hair she had also dyed into a rainbow mix and sandals - despite it being Winter. She even had paint stains on her clothing, something which I figured was a permanent feature. It was hard to imagine she had ever been apart of my old world, since my Grandad had destroyed all pictures of her. I wondered if that's what my dad was currently doing... Erasing all evidence of me from their lives. I wouldn't put it past him. 

When we pulled up outside her studio in Myeong-dong, I discovered it actually was above a coffee shop, the front door situated at the side of it. 

My eyes lit up.

"You think it's nice now - but soon the constant smell of coffee beans will make the novelty wear off." She warned as we climbed out of the car.

I inhaled deeply and couldn't imagine ever tiring of the scent, it was lovely, especially in the crisp freezing December air. My interest was even more piqued when I spotted the 'Help Wanted' sign in the window. Grabbing my two suitcases from the back of the car, along with my many travel bags in her trunk, we hefted them up her steep staircase up to the open plan studio, the different areas - kitchen, living space, dining area and bedroom - separated artfully with paper screens she'd painted herself. It wasn't large - though I could see it could be... If it wasn't filled with clutter. Canvases were everywhere, some used but most brand new and sealed. Boxes and crates were being used as tables and she'd painted the brick walls with murals, the wooden floors covered with pain splatters. 

Like she had promised; it really did have character... And under the smell of paint, turpentine and something sickly sweet, it really did smell like coffee. 

"Well, make yourself at home." She offered as she made her way to a door I hadn't spotted to the far right. "In here is the staircase to the loft - it's where my bedroom is and my actual art studio is. I'll admit, I don't leave it often. The bathroom is through the door beside the futon - that's yours. There's a free wardrobe I cleared out but..." She eyed my mounds of bags. "... Maybe we'll need to find you some more."

Once she had left, I took my time putting away the items of clothing that absolutely could not remain in my case. I'd left with everything I could pack - which included a chunk of my designer wardrobe, some of my shoes, bags, purses - and of course my makeup, laptop, phones and jewelry. I fully intended to pawn the jewelry the first chance I got. Heading out of the studio I made my way immediately next door to the coffee shop. The first thing on my check list was to get a job - there was no way my aunt could afford to support the both of us and eventually I would need to find my own place.

Start carving out my own life.

The coffee shop was artsy - but the opposite to my aunts apartment. It had an actual stage set up in one corner, easels in another and shelves which were crammed with books. It was also really large and I assumed to be the same size as my aunts studio, though a lot like her studio it was filled to capacity not just with tables and mismatched chairs - but clutter. Clearly artists had a thing for stuff. I mad my way towards the counter, looking around in awe. I'd never seen a place quite like this before. 

"I'm here about the sign in the window." I told the young man behind the counter. 

"Seriously?" He frowned, his eyes skipping over me, up from my Jimmy Choo black boots and ending on my Pauls Boutique handbag. 

I resisted the urge to look down at myself, too. "Yeah... Seriously." His eyes swept over me again. "Is there a problem?"

"No, sorry, it's just..." He let out a nervous laugh. "Girls wearing Jimmy Choo boots don't exactly work in coffee shops."

I wasn't sure if that was a compliment or not. Instead I appraised him back, noting he was wearing none-designer jeans and a plain T-shirt under his apron. But he obviously knew a thing or two about fashion. He might not have been impressed with me, but I was with him.

"Well this one wants to." I hinted.

"Well then, you're hired."

Now it was my turn to stare at him. "Really? Just like that?"

"Just like that." He grinned. "We haven't exactly had a lot of people fighting for the position..." He leaned closer over the counter and lowered his voice. "You're the only one, actually."

I couldn't u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter