Is This The Love That I've Only Heard About? (Because From the Start, My Heart Only Beats Towards You)

NamJinWeek18!

"Wear this, Hyung! It's light blue. Just like the color of the sky and the sea." Jungkook handed Seokjin a button-down shirt. He's talking nonsense again, Seokjin thinks.

Seokjin knitted his brows as he stand in front of the mirror , "Does it suit me though? I can't really tell, you know. " 

Jungkook pursed his lips, taking a good look at Seokjin, "Hmmm, yeah. Light blue is like a common color that guys wear."

Hoseok then emerged from Seokjin's closet, holding another button-down shirt. It has dots in them, Seokjin noticed. Dots. That's it. That's all he can say. "How about this one? Why do you have this Jin-hyung? I thought you always wear White and Black? This is definitely... another color."

Jungkook snatched the shirt from Hoseok, shaking his head rather rigorously, " No, no, no!! Orange and violet dots?! This is the most hideous shirt I have ever seen in my entire life." He turned to Seokjin, "Don't ever wear this, Hyung. Burn it. Use it as a washcloth. I don't care, just throw it out."

Seokjin rolled his eyes, "It only hurts your eyes, Gguk-ah. I don't really care. I can wear it at home. My parents won't care either."

"What is going on here?" Yoongi finally arrived, also with a shirt in hand. Seokjin has no clue what color it is. It's plain. It might be one of the light colors 'cause it's lighter than black, but not white. That's not how white looks like. 

Yoongi walked towards Seokjin and placed the shirt just below his neck. The 4 boys stared at Seokjin's reflection. Yoongi then said, "Pink is your color, Hyung. Right, Jungkook?"

"Pink? What is pink?" Seokjin asked.

Yoongi scratched his head, "I can't explain colors to you, Hyung. Sorry."

Jungkook gave him a thumbs up, "Yeah, pink suits him. That's a cute color. Go with that."

Yoongi then pushed Seokjin towards his room, "Now, change. Hyorin's waiting for you!"

"Fine." Seokjin sighed as he walked in his room and change.

 

There are 2 kinds of people in the world they live in -- people who can see colors and people who cannot. Everyone was born with monochrome eyes, and the only way a person would be able to recognize colors is if he/she meets his/her soulmate.

Now in Kim  Seokjin's books, there are 3 kinds of lucky people in the world they live in. First, there are Jungkook's. Jungkook was able to recognize colors since he was 9, as he had met his soulmate in Elementary. Jungkook said that they were too young and immature (and his soulmate just doesn't get him. "She's too... much." He always says) back then and they never clicked, so eventually they broke up. Jungkook has been single ever since.

Second, there are Hoseok's. Hoseok only sees black and white, like Seokjin, but he doesn't really care. He's been dating Hyejin for 10 years now (they're about to get married in Spring actually), and they couldn't be any happier. Hoseok has no motivation to search for his soulmate because he already has Hyejin.

Born to colorblind parents, Seokjin learned at a very young age that there is a difference between finding your soulmate and finding love, and they don't always coincide with one another. Take for example: Jungkook may have found his soulmate, but he didn't find love. Hoseok, on the other hand, has not yet found his soulmate, but he found his true love.

They are both lucky, just in different ways.

A soulmate may not always equate to a lifetime partner, but some people are fortunate enough to find them both in one person. They are the last kind -- the Yoongi's.These people are the luckiest of all three, in Seokjin's opinion. Yoongi saw colors for the first time 3 years ago when he met Jiwon, and they eventually fell in love. They have been seeing each other since then.

Seokjin has always dreamed of becoming like Yoongi. At 26, he's still hoping that one day, one fateful day, he'll be able to meet his soulmate, recognize colors, and fall in love.

Unfortunately, he still belongs to the 4th kind of people -- the unlucky ones -- the Seokjin's. The colorblind AND loveless.

 

Well, not really. He has a girlfriend.

 

He met this girl at a party two months ago, her name is Hyorin, and they are going out on a date today (that's why the 3 buggers are in his house). Seokjin seems to like her, but it's too soon to tell which direction they are going.

He officially asked her out last month and they've been to 4 dates already, but Seokjin is still unsure. Maybe because a huge part of him wants to be like Yoongi, who was lucky enough to find his soulmate and luckier enough to fall in love with her.

 

Hyorin is obviously not his soulmate. He's not in love with Hyorin, too (well, maybe eventually?)

 

Nevertheless, Seokjin is still willing to give it a chance. If he couldn't be like Yoongi after all, maybe he could be like Hoseok. Colorblind BUT in love.

 

Seokjin came out of his room, all dressed up. His 3 friends all turned their heads to him.

"Are you ready for your date, Hyung?" Hoseok smiled widely at Seokjin, excited to see his friend going out with a girl after what seems to be a really long time.

"Do I look okay?" Seokjin asked Jungkook and Yoongi. "Did I wear the right pants? Mom said he bought me dark red pants by mistake last week. The cashier told her after she had bought it."

"No, that's good. It's faded black. You look good, Hyung!" Jungkook rubbed Seokjin's back. "Too bad Hyorin is not your soulmate. I was kinda hoping that you'll meet your soulmate at that party." Jungkook said softly. "You saw lots of girls, but you still got nothing."

"Yeah, I'm cursed. Thank you for rubbing that in my face." Seokjin glowered at him. "I've seen atleast 3000 girls in 26 years, and still nothing."

"Maybe your soulmate is a boy?" Hoseok blurted out. The other 3 looked at him, faces all crumped up. A boy?

"Ya, soulmates aren't limited to boy-girl! Didn't you know that?" Hoseok explained, pouting. "Our souls don't care about age nor gender nor any other physical appearances, guys. They just find their partners and go off."

 


"Thank you. I had fun." Hyorin beamed at Seokjin, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. They are standing in front of Hyorin's house right now.

It was a lovely date; Seokjin picked her up, they saw a movie, ate dinner, had a long walk in the park, and Seokjin drove him home.

"Me too. Good night, Hyorin." Seokjin said in a low, deep voice. He's been told that he looks extra charming when he talks like that. It seemed to be true, as Hyorin blushed quickly after.

Seokjin had fun with Hyorin, he really did. Hyorin is beautiful; let's be honest, he wouldn't ask her out in the first place if she wasn't. She's nice and she carries herself very well. She laughs at Seokjin's jokes, too (This is such a great deal to Seokjin. None of his friends laugh at his jokes. Yoongi even hits him sometimes).

But...

But Seokjin feels nothing for her. Hyorin's not the one. Hyorin's not his soulmate, obviously, but he doesn't feel sparks towards her (Seokjin is a hopeless romantic. He believes in sparks and fireworks and true love and all that ) either.

"See you." Seokjin leaned in, thinking that maybe he'll feel something if he kissed her.

He kissed her chastely. Nothing.

 

Damn it.

 

Hyorin then took his hand, guiding him towards the front door, "Do you want to come inside? My brother wants to meet you. He's at home. Just say hi."

"Oh, uhm..." Seokjin scratched his head. He's too polite to refuse Hyorin. He's breaking up with her anyway, what the point in meeting her brother?

They entered Hyorin's house. "Have a seat. I'll call Namjoon-oppa." Hyorin let go of his hand and ran upstairs. Seokjin sat down the couch.

He suddenly heard voices.

"What's his name again, is it Seokjin?" That should be Hyorin's older brother. His voice was deep and calming.

"Yeah. Come say hi." Hyorin answered.

Footsteps.

Seokjin fixed his shirt and stood up.

Hyorin was the first one to come down the stairs, "Meet my Namjoon-oppa."

"Hi --" That's the only word Seokjin had managed to say upon seeing Namjoon. He suddenly felt a terrible pain in his head and chest. He felt dizzy, and the world started spinning around him.

 

Namjoon's face was the last thing he remembered before everything went pitch black.

 


"Have you seen Hyorin? Did you talk to her yet?"

"Of course not! What would I say? Hi, yeah, sorry about Jin and your brother."

"This is super awkward for her."

"I know."

"Did her brother pass out too?"

"Yeah. They said Hyorin was crying when the ambulance came in. She had absolutely no idea what just happened. Obviously she hasn't found her soulmate yet."

 

Seokjin could hear his friends' voices long before he opened his eyes. "What..." he mumbles, eyes wandering around. Everything seems so... different. The ceiling seems to be the same as always (it's white), but the door isn't. The floor isn't. The wall isn't. Everything isn't.

"Hyung, you're awake!" Jungkook ran to his side.

Jin stared at him. Something's definitely not the same with Jungkook. Jin just can't put his finger on it. "What happened? Where are we?"

"We're at the hospital. You passed out at Hyorin's living room last night. You've been asleep for 14 hours. Your brain rebooted. Welcome back." Yoongi replied.

Seokjin just blinked and stared at Yoongi... then back at Jungkook. Something's not right here. Why do they look totally distinct now? Does Yoongi's hair really look like that? Ever since?

"Do you want to see Namjoon?" Hoseok sat by his foot. He looked different, too.

"Namjoon?" Seokjin echoed.

 

Namjoon.

Oh, yes. Namjoon. Hyorin's brother. He's the last face Seokjin saw before he lost his consciousness.

 

"Why would I want to see him?" Seokjin asked again. "My head hurts. I am so confused." He scowled, closing his eyes shut.

"It's okay, Hyung. It's normal. I cried for the first few hours back then." Jungkook tapped his shoulder.

Seokjin looked up at him, "What do you mean?"

"I was 9 when I met my soulmate right? I got confused, too." Jungkook replied.

 

What is he talking about?!

 

Seokjin's brows drew together, "I don't get you. I don't... what the hell is wrong with me and my eyes?!"

"Hyungnim, you can see colors now. It's okay. Your brain is quite adjusting to it because you've been used to greyscale for 26 years. You'll get used to it as time passes by. We even bought you a coloring book to help you out." Yoongi explained, in his, uhm, Yoongi voice.

Hoseok squeezed his leg, "I'm the only colorblind here now. I feel so left out."

Seokjin stared at his friends. Is that what it is? "Oh my God. The door! The floor! Your clothes! Yoongi's hair! My blanket! Are these... colors? Oh my God! Oh my God! Your hair! Your hair!!!!!" He pointed at almost everything, thrilled that he can actually see what color they are, although he doesn't know the name.

"Yes, those are colors. My hair is bluish-green." Yoongi uttered.

"How many colors are exactly there? Oh my God. I can't believe this! I can see colors now!" Seokjin flapped his arms in the air, ecstatic.

 

Then it got him thinking, if he can see colors now then that means...

 

"Wait, does that mean that Hyorin's brother is --" Seokjin's forehead creased.

His 3 friends nod their heads. Seokjin's eyes widened. His soulmate is a... guy? He's a guy, too?

"Do you want to meet your soulmate?" Yoongi then asked him, looking smug.

 


"We'll leave you alone." Hoseok whispered, as he shuts the door on Seokjin's face. The brought Jin to Namjoon's hospital room so they could finally talk.

Seokjin sat on one of the chairs by Namjoon's bed, "So... uhm..."

"So we're soulmates... The two of us." Namjoon smiled at him, dimples appearing on both cheeks. Seokjin's heart thumped.

He clutched his chest. What is going on? His heart has never done that. Is this a soulmate thing? Seokjin chuckled, "I guess so."

"Hyorin cried. She was here earlier. She couldn't believe it." Namjoon shook his head, "I couldn't believe it, too."

Seokjin looked at him, "I think I should talk to her."

"It wasn't your fault, though. This isn't something you get to choose."

"I know, but I still need to talk to her."

 

The room was suddenly filled with silence. It wasn't awkward though; they may feel nervous towards each other as they've just met (and it doesn't help that Jin is Hyorin's boyfriend), but they don't feel awkward.

Seokjin doesn't feel any urge to leave. He feels the other way around, actually. He feels at ease, like he's meant to be there. 

So this is what it feels like, Seokjin thinks. To be with your soulmate.

 

Seokjin returns to his room an hour later. His three friends gathered by his bedside, all eager to know how it turned out.

"So?" Yoongi raised his brows. "How's Mr. Soulmate?"

"He was... more than okay. I enjoyed talking to him. I guess it's because we're... soulmates." Seokjin hesitated to say the word at first, still processing the fact that his soulmate is a boy. "Is that how it is?"

"Elaborate, Hyung." Jungkook demanded.

"He's... cute. He has deep dimples and nice hair. He's smart, too. I can see it by the way he talks." Seokjin beamed, "I like how we're basically strangers, but I felt like I've known him all my life. We just get each other. It's such a great feeling. It's the best feeling."

Jungkook smiled in awe, "Hyung, I'm so happy for you!"

"Also, he does this thing with his eyes when he smiles and my heart just flutters. Is it a soulmate thing, too? It is, isn't it?" Seokjin looked at his friends, waiting for confirmation.

"Uhm... well, that's not your soul talking, Hyung." Jungkook grimaced, "Your heart and your soul are completely different entities. You know that, right?"

Seokjin was mortified.

"Looks like Seokjin has a crush on Mr. Soulmate! Did you ask him out?" Hoseok asked.

The other 3 gazed at him. Ah, the things Hoseok says.

"Namjoon is a guy, Hoseok." Seokjin reminded him. "I don't do guys. I don't know how. I have never dated one."

Hoseok chortled, "C'mmon now. You're soulmates. Might as well try!"

"You forgot one importante detail, ..." Yoongi smacked him in the head. "...Jin-hyung is dating his sister."

 


Seokjin and Namjoon never met again after that. There's no reason to, except the fact that they're soulmates. Seokjin has been meaning to see Namjoon again, but he finds it too awkward as he used to date his sister.

Used to. Seokjin broke things off with Hyorin shortly after he was discharged from the hospital. He explained everything to her -- that love simply can't be forced, that it's not anyone's fault, and that it's definitely not because of Namjoon.

 

It's slight because of Namjoon, though.

 

Namjoon never left Seokjin's mind. Ever since meeting the dimpled guy, Seokjin has been having this lingering feeling that something is missing. He has this urge to look for something, like Namjoon took a part of him and he desperately need it back.

Months passed, and Seokjin continued on with his life, enduring the empitiness that he has been feeling. Everything is much easier now that he can see colors. He's been living like a totally different person since then, and he's grateful to Namjoon for bringing this change in him.

Months passed, and Seokjin kept on wondering about Namjoon, missing him eventhough they've only met once. He kept on hoping that one day, one fateful day, he gets to meet Namjoon again.

Seokjin has tried to convince himself that it's totally a soulmate thing -- like, why would he be thinking about another guy? he must be losing his mind, right?

He asked Jungkook if he ever felt the same way, but the younger denied it. Jungkook does feel at ease whenever he's with his soulmate (They have remained friends despite their falling out as lovers), but that's it.

"Maybe you like him, Hyung." Jungkook tells him, "Like, actually like him. You know?"

"Gguk-ah, we met once. How am I gonna know that for sure?" Seokjin asked him back.

"Meet him again then."

"How?"

"Your souls will always find a way to each other, Hyung. That's how this whole thing works."

 


 

Seokjin didn't quite believe Jungkook (his motto in life is to see is to believe), until he experienced it himself.

He met Namjoon again, at the most unexpected day, at the most unexpected place.

It was near midnight, and they were both in line for coffee.

"What are you doing here?" Seokjin said,  a wide smile flashing accross his face.

Namjoon smiled back, "Well, I want coffee and --"

"this shop sells the best Iced Cappuccino in town?" Seokjin finished his sentence.

Namjoon grinned even more, amazed at how aligned their thoughts are, "Yes! Wow..."

"Soulmates." Seokjin giggled.

It's now Namjoon's turn to order. He told Seokjin, "Wait here. I'll get one for you, too." Seokjin nodded and got seats for the both of them.

After a few minutes, Namjoon joined him with 2 drinks in hand. He gave one to Seokjin and sat down in front of him, "How are you? It's been a while."

"I know. I can't believe I'll see you here, of all places. You don't even work nor live around this area, right?" Seokjin responded.

Namjoon took a sip of his Iced Capp, "No, I just craved this particular Iced Capp and so I drove here."

Seokjin laughed, "Me too. This is so weird."

"Soulmates." Namjoon stared into Seokjin's eyes, and the older felt sparks -- NO -- fireworks. Namjoon gave him fireworks.

 

He's screwed. Totally screwed.

 

They talked about everything and anything, like two old friends catching up.

"Okay, so you have 3 friends: Jungkook, Hoseok, and Yoongi. Jungkook has seen his soulmate but he never developed any real feelings for her while Hoseok, on the contrary, has never seen his soulmate but he's happily in a relationship. Then we have the winner Yoongi, who got the best of both worlds -- he met his soulmate AND he's dating him right now." Namjoon recaps the summary of their most recent conversation. Seokjin just explained his "3 kinds of lucky people" spiel to him.

Seokjin nodded in agreement, "Growing up, I thought all I had to do was find my soulmate to be happy. I got really jealous of Yoongi when he finally found his."

"Is that why you broke up with Hyorin?"

Seokjin nodded.

"Because you were hoping to find... me?"

Seokjin nodded again, blushing this time. "Not just that, though. With all due respect, Hyorin is a great girl. She's beautiful, she's smart, she's nice... I just don't feel it. "

"Feel what?" Namjoon furrowed his brows.

"When I kissed her, I felt nothing. I asked Hoseok if it's related to this soulmate thing, and he said no. He said it's a love thing. He's been kissing the same girl for 10 years now, so I believe him." Seokjin confessed. Then he covered his face with both hands, "Please don't puke. I know it's really cheesy." 

"Try to kiss me then."

Seokjin looked at Namjoon. Namjoon stared back at him, dead serious.

"I can't stop thinking about you, Seokjin. I know this may weirded you out because we've only met once and we're both guys and you used to date my sister, and I kept on telling myself that maybe it's because we're soulmates, but..." Namjoon placed his hand on top of Seokjin's, "...I've been wondering if --"

"If what you feel is something more than that." Seokjin continued his words again, "Yeah, I feel the same way."

"You're really my soulmate." Namjoon said, twinkling at him.

Seokjin bit his lip, "Can we... see it now? If this is just our souls taking control over our hearts or not?"

"Only one way to find out." Namjoon replied, eyes sparkling.

Seokjin looked around to see if there are people watching then he grabbed his soulmate by the collar and firmly pressed his lips against Namjoon's.

Namjoon was left breathless.

Seokjin gulped, his heart beating like crazy, "So... Jungkook or Yoongi?" He asked, once and for all.

Namjoon cupped his face and kissed him in return, "Yoongi, definitely Yoongi."

"Oh, thank God. I was gonna cry if you answered Jungkook."  Seokjin said, making Namjoon laugh.

"You washed away all my worries and what if's with one kiss." Namjoon brushed his fingers against Seokjin's cheek, "You hold that much power over me."

Seokjin took Namjoon's hand in his. He giggled like a lovestruck teenager that he is,"I can't believe this. I feel like I'm in a movie."

"Do you think Hyorin will mind? I mean, his brother and ex-boyfriend are dating now. That's kinda... hard to grasp."

"She won't. She'll get too preoccupied by how cute we look together."

 

 

Hoseok is right, souls don't care about age, or gender, or physical appearances.

Seokjin then realized that love doesn't, too.