Han River

NamJinWeek18!

"Officer Choi handed you a Han River victim?" Hoseok, or Officer Jung to the public, grimaced at his partner and fellow junior police investigator, Officer Kim Namjoon. "That's a dead end, Bro."

Namjoon pursed his lips, "I haven't even done a full investigation yet. Don't be such a kill joy, Hoseok-ah."

Hoseok stopped typing his own report and came to Namjoon's desk, "We all know who did it. It's the River Demon."

Namjoon sighed, "Oh, boy. Here we go again."

Hoseok held both of Namjoon's shoulders and lightly shook him, "But it's true, Joon-ah! The River Demon did it! We both know you're just gonna file it as an unsolved case because there's nothing to solve! The victim committed suicide because The River Demon enticed him just like the first three victims! Officer Choi pounded this off on you because you're new and he doesn't find it interesting. Just like how he pounds off parking tickets and traffic violations on me even though I'm fully capable of handing a real case!"

 

The River Demon.

There has been a well-accepted hearsay going on for about five years now that The River Demon collects young guys and lures them into the Han River to sacrifice themselves to him. He hypnotizes his scapegoats until they eventually jump off the bridge, fall on the river, drown, and eventually... die.

Rumor has it that The River Demon needs souls so the river would not dry out.

 

 

Namjoon stood up and started walking. Hoseok trailed after him, "Where are you going?"

"I'm working, obviously. There's gotta be some kind of pattern in here. This victim, my victim, was a human being. He was something special to somebody. Somewhere, someone is crying because he's gone. I need to give that someone justice. I'm not gonna sit in here and blame this so-called River Demon for his death. I'm gonna get into the bottom of this." Namjoon said, gripping onto the folder that he was holding.

Graduated top of his class, Kim Namjoon has so much potential in his field. Yes, reading Sherlock Holmes and watching Detective Conan whilst growing up did help, but he has an innate ability to discover patterns, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and a wide understanding in deduction.

After months of being stuck with breaking up bar fights and chasing drivers who went beyond the speed limit, Officer Choi has finally given him his first ever case as a junior investigator.

Namjoon will definitely not let this be shelved in the "Case Closed" section without a proper investigation.

"I admire your enthusiasm, Officer Kim, but I'm warning you, this is just a waste of time. The River Demon did it. You heard Forensics earlier, there were no signs of struggle, no bullets found, no lacerations, no strangulation, no signs of trauma, no stab wounds, even his blood chemistry is clean.The victim drowned himself. He jumped. It's that simple. Well... of course, I don't mean to devalue his struggles that led him in doing it." Hoseok explained to Namjoon as they walked down the filing room.

Namjoon unlocked the door and opened the lights. Folders after folders of every case that has ever reported in their station is in sight. "Help me search for the other Han River victims." 

Hoseok shrugged, "Fine, but if this ends up being another Han River casualty, you have to treat me."

"And if it doesn't?" Namjoon said as he glanced through the report catalog.

"Then I'll treat you. Chicken and beer."

"Deal."

The duo started their search. There has been 4 cases, including Namjoon's case, associated with The River Demon in the past 5 years. Upon gathering all the records needed, they sat on the desk and discussed.

Hoseok began with the oldest folder that had collected dust throughout the years,  "Okay, this is the first case. October 17, 2013. Kim Jimin, age 18. Found by a biker at 6am, body floating on the Han River. Autopsy has reported that he died way before he was found. No evidence has proved that he was murdered, so they concluded that it was suicide. The case was closed as the family did not wish to press charges."

Namjoon jot down some notes on his notebook then he opened another folder and skimmed through the report, "Second case is from September 6, 2015. Park Yonghwa, age 22. Found by a couple strolling by the Han River, around 7:30am. Also no evidence of external trauma whatsoever. Massive amounts of fluid found in lungs strongly indicated that he drowned. Family did not file a complaint, so the case was closed." He scribbled something on his notebook again and turned to Hoseok.

Hoseok proceeded with the third case, "River Demon Case #3 happened August 23, 2017. Ahn Minhyuk, age 21. Found by a student on her way to school around 6:45am, body also floating on the Han River. No signs of injuries, traumas, lacerations, or strangulation. However, his blood chemistry suggested low to moderate levels of alcohol intoxication. Investigators ruled out that the victim is sober enough to be aware of what he was doing. Witnesses did not say that he was, in fact, with someone the night before he was found, although one had claimed seeing him talking to himself and was quite "agitated"  around 11:46pm, August 22, 2017. It was assumed that he jumped off the bridge shortly after that, but no one had actually seen him doing it. Family did not file a complaint. Case was closed."

Namjoon nodded and wrote some more. He opened his file folder shortly afterwards, "Okay, that brings us to my case. September 10, 2018. Song Jaehan, age 23. Body found by a call centre agent who just got off work around 6:02am, body also floating on the Han River. Same thing -- no indication that he was strangled or that he was dead when his body entered the water. No alcohol content found in his blood, but massive amounts of fluid found in his lungs strongly suggest that he drowned. Family stated that he was supposed to be at work until 9pm, but obviously he never came home. Mom said that victim has been feeling depressed weeks before the incident and they think that it's most likely suicide. "

Namjoon scrawled once again on his notebook then laid back in his chair, thinking deeply. "Okay, so far. All of the dates of the incidents are fairly close to each other, with breaks on 2014 and 2016. The killer --"

"Killer? You're really suspecting that this is a criminal case?" Hoseok snorted, a small grin flashing through his face, "I'm really happy that you're taking this case seriously, but I'm telling you this right now -- You owe me a treat. This is just another case of The River Demon."

Namjoon hit his shoulder with one of the folders, "You know, as a police investigator, you shouldn't believe in folklore."

"Then how would you explain all 4 cases then? There was absolutely no indication that they were killed nor evidence that prove that they were dead before they were submerged in the water. They all drowned, Joon-ah." Hoseok elucidated while rubbing his shoulder.

"There's got to be some kind of explanation here. There's something missing. I can feel it." Namjoon said, as he read through his notes again.

Hoseok replied, mimicking Namjoon, "You know, as a police investigator, you shouldn't rely on your feelings." Namjoon then glared at him. Hoseok smiled as he looked at his wristwatch, "Oh, look at that. Lunch time! Wanna grab lunch with me?"

Namjoon stood up and gathered his folders into a pile, "No, I have plans with Seokjin."

Hoseok's face suddenly lit up, "Ooooohhhh, making time for your lover boy, huh? Look at that, Officer Kim Namjoon: on his way to becoming the greatest police investigator of his generation, but still finds time for his true love. You really sure about him, huh?" He elbowed Namjoon, whose face turned red as a tomato.

"Yeah, I guess so."

Namjoon has been dating Seokjin for almost 2 years now. They met through work, as Seokjin is a police officer as well. He works at the city's maximum security prison.

They're now heading back to their desks to grab their stuff and leave for lunch. Hoseok commented, "I still can't believe Seokjin works there. His looks don't belong in there."

Namjoon defended his beau, "Don't judge a book by its cover. Jinnie can be hardcore, too." 


"Eat lots. I know how stressful you can be at work." Seokjin placed 5 pieces of beef ribs on Namjoon's plate. They're eating at a restaurant near Seokjin's workplace right now.

Namjoon beamed. He likes it when Seokjin spoils him like this. The older never fails to tend to him whenever they're together.

Seokjin wrapped a piece of beef on a lettuce and fed it to Namjoon, "How's work? Parking officer again?"

Namjoon shook his head, "Offreerrcer Chrrr..." He stopped talking for a minute and chewed his food. Seokjin chuckled and wiped his mouth, "You eat like a baby."

Finally, Namjoon swallowed his food, "Officer Choi handed me a case this morning, Babe! A real case!" He exclaimed, way too excited to share the good news to his boyfriend.

"Wow, finally! Congratulations!" Seokjin hugged Namjoon, glad that his beloved investigator had finally taken on a case.

Namjoon then cheerfully shared, "Yes, I was quite shocked when he handed me the folder this morning. Hoseok said he just pounded it off on me because it's a dead end. I don't think so."

Seokjin raised his brows, "Dead end?"

Namjoon nodded as he drinks his water, "Yeah. It's another Han River victim. Been a year since the last one. Seok kept on telling me to not waste my time on it."

Seokjin's eyes went round, "Really? Another one? The legend still lives on then?"

"I don't believe it's a legend though. Something's not right." Namjoon said, brows furrowing.

Seokjin fed him again with another ssam, "Now, now. Enough about work. Lunch time is Seokjin time, remember? Stop worrying about it for now."

"But if the legend is really true, stay away from the river then." Namjoon said before he took the ssam into his mouth,.

Seokjin giggled, "Are you afraid that The River Demon will take me as a sacrifice?"

Namjoon nodded, pouting. Seokjin laughed and kissed him, "Don't worry, he won't."


Lunch break ends, and Namjoon found Officer Choi standing by his desk.

"Lunch out with Seokjin?" Officer Choi greets him, hands on his waist.

Namjoon bowed and nodded, "Yes, sir."

Officer Choi then reached for Namjoon's ear and whispered, "I gave you this case because of him."

Namjoon blinked, completely puzzled, "Sir?"

Officer Choi knitted his brows, "Didn't he tell you? The first victim was his brother."  He muttered, "Now, there is another version of the legend. Some believe that he's the Han River Demon. You see, there were rumors that that boy was really strange when he was still alive. That he was involved in some kind of demonic cult or something. So now his ghost transformed into this demon who kills young guys like him. " Namjoon just stared at him, eyes wide with confusion. The senior officer just tapped his back and walked away.

"I had no idea." Namjoon whispered to himself as he sat down his desk, deep in thought.

In the two years that they have been dating, Seokjin mentioned having a brother once. He said that he died in an accident 5 years ago, but it never occurred to Namjoon to divulge any further as to how it happened as Seokjin tends to be very emotional.

"Kim Jimin was Seokjin's younger brother then?! He's Victim #1, right? Wow." Hoseok suddenly spoke, apparently he has been eavesdropping all along.

"It didn't really occur to me that it was him. Given that Kim Jimin is a very common name here." Namjoon pondered, "Now, I have more motivation to solve this case."

 

Namjoon had thought of asking Seokjin about Jimin, but he was too afraid that it might cause triggers and they'll just end up fighting.

He can't imagine how Seokjin must have felt when his brother died. What's worse is, people even had the audacity to accuse Jimin of killing these guys, when he himself suffered the same fate. 

No wonder Seokjin never brings him up.

This drove Namjoon to investigate more thoroughly and diligently, in the hopes that a person, a real, live human-being, is actually responsible for all these deaths. Not this so-called River Demon.

Namjoon thinks that maybe if he finds out who the real culprit is, it will give Seokjin peace. Maybe if he finds out who the real culprit is, it will clear Seokjin's departed brother's name once and for all.

Namjoon spent weeks looking for any clues and pieces of evidence he could find. The first 3 cases had been closed, so therefore he could not re-start the investigation unless someone files a complaint to do so. As for his own case, there were no pressed charges either because the family was convinced that it was suicide.

Nevertheless, he carried on; he worked overtime almost every day, begged Forensics to run more tests, conducted more interviews, even drove to different places in search for more information.

He never stopped until one day Hoseok found him crying in the file room.

"Joon-ah! Are you okay? Ya, you're taking this way too personal! You've got to stop, Bro. This is taking a toll on you. Seokjin has been here a couple of times looking for you. He said he hasn't seen you in weeks!" Hoseok crouched down and handed him a bottle of water.

"I need to see him." Namjoon said, as tears stream down his face, "I think I solved the case, Seok. I need to see him."

"Wow, he'll be so grateful for you! It's gonna clear his brother's name then!" Hoseok jumped in excitement.

Namjoon didn't respond. He gathered all of his stuff on the floor and stood up, "I'm gonna be away for the rest of the day."

 

Namjoon then came looking for Seokjin, desperately wanting to speak to him. He spent most of the afternoon locating him, but it was nearly midnight when Namjoon finally found him.

"Why are you here?" Seokjin asked, wide-eyed. He was standing by the side of the river. Han River.

"I figured it out." Namjoon said, fighting back his tears with no success. "The case. I think I figured it out."

Seokjin turned his back on him and faced the river, "I knew you would. You're the smartest person I've ever known."

"Jimin..." Namjoon finally breaks down, eyes swimming in tears.

Seokjin checked his phone for the time: 12:01am. "October 17. It's been exactly 5 years." He turned to face Namjoon, sadness completely clouding his features. Namjoon has never seen this side of Seokjin before.

"It's been 5 years since he..." Namjoon cried some more, "...jumped off the bridge and drowned."

Seokjin gritted his teeth, "He jumped off the bridge because he was provoked. He was bullied for years at school until he got tired of it and ended it all. He was abused --"

"He was verbally and mentally abused by his schoolmates." Namjoon finished his sentence. "Park Yonghwa, Ahn Minhyuk, and Song Jaehan. Nobody saw the connection between the 3 of them because they were all part of this notorious fraternity. Nobody was supposed to know that they knew each other. Same reason why their parents didn't file a complaint -- they were all aware of what their sons had been doing. They failed on recruiting Jimin, so they bullied and threatened him. They even spread spiteful rumors about him being involved in a cult. He lost his scholarship and he was nearly expelled in school."

"This is all their fault." Seokjin crouched down, bawling.

Namjoon then said, "Park Yonghwa was last seen entering a motel before he died. He ---"

Seokjin interrupted Namjoon this time, giving him a lopsided grin, "He was forcefully drowned in a tub and later on thrown onto the river. He was handcuffed so he couldn't defend himself."

Namjoon continued on, hands trembling, "Ahn Minhyuk was last seen talking to himself before jumping off the bridge, but he was actually on the phone talking to someone. It was hard, but I managed to recover his phone from his family."

Seokjin's smile faded, his expression darkened, "He was the weakest one. He was verbally threatened just like what he did to Jimin. Serves him right. He got the taste of his own medicine."

Namjoon clenched his fist, "Song Jaehan..."

Seokjin nodded, "Ah. That was the hardest one to solve. How did you do it?"

Namjoon wiped his tears and said, voice cracking, "Potassium Chloride. There were no signs of external trauma on him, so I begged Forensics to run another test on him before they close the case. Then they found a small puncture wound on his arm, suggesting that something was injected to him and his blood chemistry indicated high levels of potassium ions." He sniffed, hesitant to carry on, "The most common use of potassium chloride is obviously lethal injections."

Namjoon looked into Seokjin's eyes, staring at his face, desperately searching for the man he knew. The man he fell in love with. The man he believed in. He then said, "Coincidentally, your workplace has steady access to it because you administer it to your death row prisoners. Coincidentally, there was one recorded fluke in your inventory not to long ago. One count of lethal injection was recorded missing last September 9. Jaehan was found dead the day after. I checked your log and..."

"And?" Seokjin said. Tears streamed down his face, but he was still smiling.

"And you were the last person that was in the inventory." Namjoon cried again, still mortified about what he had just found out, "Jimin was not a victim nor the culprit. Jimin is the cause of the killings. You are The River Demon."

"Your name was registered in one of the motel rooms where Yonghwa was last seen. Your number was the last call that was displayed on Minhyuk's log before he died. As for Jaehan, I don't have enough evidence proving that you were the one who injected the lethal injection on him, but --"

Seokjin walked closer to Namjoon and gave him a hug, "I did it. You were right."  Then he started crying, "I love you so much, and you deserve to know the truth from me. I did it all. I killed Jaehan and Yonghwa. I provoked Minhyuk to jump off the bridge that night, so I basically killed him, too. I did it all for Jimin. I got my revenge."

Namjoon hugged him back, sobbing. He loves Seokjin so much, and he still can't grasp the fact that he is responsible for all these killings. His Seokjin, who has always been caring, loving, and supportive of him. His Seokjin, who has always been his source of strength, motivation, and inspiration to give his best at work. His Seokjin, whom he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

Namjoon's beyond devastated. His world crumbled into a million pieces.

Seokjin slowly reached for the gun resting in his back pocket. He initially thought of shooting it on Namjoon, but he couldn't find it in his heart to do so. Despite the terrible things he had done, he still knows what love is. He loves Namjoon.

"I love you. I'm so sorry for everything." Seokjin let go of Namjoon as he ran towards the river.

"No, Seokjin!" Namjoon yells as he run after the love of his life.

Sounds of gunshot and water splashing were eventually heard.

 

 

Hoseok never got the chance to treat Namjoon for solving the case.