Before Love

NamJinWeek18!

"Love, among other things, transforms people." The speaker grabs the mic from the stand so he could walk closer to the audience. You could sense by the tone and conviction in his voice that he had been doing this for a long time.

He pressed the clicker in his other hand to go to the next slide. Big, bold letters that read "Before Love" flashed in the screen. He continued on, "People adapt to their partners' needs, from the small things, take for example: changing your hair color because your girlfriend or boyfriend likes it..." He pointed to a guy sitting on the 3rd row with purple hair. The crowd laughs. "...to the huge, life-altering ones like quitting your job or disowning your family or cutting your friends off just to be with the person you love. Sometimes it's just absurd how much impact love does to a person. Love can build you up as much as it can break you down."

Seokjin lightly jostled Namjoon's shoulder, "I'm hungry."

"Me too. Let's eat bbibimbap after this." Namjoon whispered to him.

They had been attending couple's seminar for the past 3 days, as it is a requirement in filing for a marriage contract. Their wedding is scheduled to take place in 3 weeks.

 Namjoon's absorbed in it so far, taking every marriage lesson to heart. Seokjin has been receptive as well, but he's more concerned about what to eat right at this moment.

The speaker then said, "Now for our final exercise, I want you to face each other and reminisce. Remember how you were before you fell in love. What did you look like? What were the things you were interested in? Were you still the same person? Did your relationship change you as a person? Do you like that change? You have 20 minutes."

The hall was suddenly filled with sound of chairs scraping against the floor as every couple adjusted their seats to face their partners. Namjoon hasn't said anything, but Seokjin is giggling already.

"I haven't even told you anything." Namjoon pinched his fiance's nose.

Seokjin chuckled, "No, I just remembered your horrible hairstyle back then. It was hideous. Way hideous. I would have never proposed to you if you still look like that."

Namjoon scratched the back of his head and laughed, totally ashamed, "Yeah, that was a phase." Then he playfully hit Seokjin's thigh, "HEY! You had pink hair back then!"

"It looked good on me, though." Seokjin said, feeling smug. Namjoon rolled his eyes and smiled.

Namjoon then cleared his throat, "Okay, me first. What was I like back then? Except the ridiculous Mohawk that I sported." Seokjin laughed heartily again, but Namjoon grabbed his hand and resumed his spiel, "Hm, okay. My hair was a mess, my head was a mess, my heart was a mess, my whole life was a mess. Before you, I had no direction in life. I was so close to dropping out of college. I was failing all of my classes. My parents quit on me. My so-called friends abandoned me. I slept around with anyone, mostly strangers that I met in the bar, with no intentions of calling them or even meeting them ever again..." Seokjin threw him a dirty look. Namjoon giggled. "...I was mad at the world. I was mad at myself. I was mad and angry and self-centered and annoying and sad. There even came a point that I wanted to end it all..." Seokjin squeezed his hand, well-aware of how Namjoon had struggled back then. Namjoon then grinned, "Then one day you scolded me for sleeping in class and the rest is history." He took both of Seokjin's hands and placed them on his chest, "Your love did change me, Seokjin. I'm glad that it did."

Seokjin then said, "I scolded you because I couldn't see the board. Your back was in the way."

They both burst out laughing again, remembering that one fateful day. It was during their Economics 156 class, and Namjoon woke up to Seokjin's mad rant about him sleeping in class. Namjoon was impressed by how fierce and disciplined (and incredibly handsome) Seokjin is, so he pursued him for months until the older gave in and agreed to date him against his will (or so he says, it's completely obvious that he's just as in love).

"My turn. Where do I start? Hold on, I'm crying." Seokjin wiped his tears. Happy tears. "I don't like myself before you. I was boring. My life was a tasteless routine. All I did was study and complain. What can I do? My parents were strict, right?" Namjoon nodded, flashbacks playing in his head of all the times he had to sit in Seokjin's living room while his parents stared him down. Seokjin continued, "I understand that they just want what's best for me, but they were really controlling. The day I colored my hair pink was the start of my rebellion."

Namjoon then asked, "Was I a part of your rebellion then?"

"I didn't even know what love was before you. I had zero experience. You know that." He winked at Namjoon, making the latter blush, "Before you, I was like a mismatched puzzle. I looked like I was complete and all, but my pieces don't really go together. Then you came and dismantled me. You turned my world upside down. You taught me how to take risks, how to live my life to the fullest, how to accept myself wholly without having to bother what anyone thinks, and most especially, how to love fearlessly and wholeheartedly." Seokjin caressed Namjoon's cheeks, "You always tell me that I set you straight, but you did that to me too. Your love made me into a completely different person, and I like that person very much."

Namjoon gave Seokjin a quick peck on the lips, "I love you. I can't wait to marry you."

Seokjin smiled at him, "I love you too. Now, can we have Bbibimbap?"

"We can't just leave, Babe. The others are not yet finished."

"But I'm really hungry."