Part 2

Where it all began

Seulgi frowned as she watched Wendy stumble with every move. “I guess she’s not a good dancer.” Seulgi thought to herself. She watched as Wendy repeatedly apologized to the teacher and he simply shook his head. When class was over she heard her name being called. 

“Seulgi, I want you to help Seungwan get up to speed with our dance.”

Seulgi was at a loss for words and could only nod a yes and the teacher turned to Wendy, “Seungwan, you’re in good hands! Seulgi is one of our best here.” The teacher walked out of the room and it was just the two of them left. 

The two stared at each other for thirty seconds before Wendy spoke up, “I hate when people call me Seungwan. I prefer Wendy because everyone thinks I’m a boy when they first hear my name.” 

Seulgi giggled when she remembered Sooyoung mentioning the same thing. “Really? No Seungwan?”

“Well I guess when you say it, it doesn’t sound too bad.” Wendy mumbled as she looked at the ground. 

Seulgi felt the heat rising in her face and quickly changed the topic, “So do you have time now to go over the dance?”

Wendy nodded and Seulgi smiled, “Alright, let’s start with the first move.”

----

Wendy wasn’t the fastest learner, but she was eager to learn. Wendy apologized profusely every time she made a mistake. An hour and a half later, Wendy was performing without missing a beat. Seulgi decided it was time to call it a night. She began packing her things when Wendy walked over and asked Seulgi to dinner as a way to say thanks.

“Oh no, don’t worry about it!” Seulgi smiled

“No no no! Dinner is on me, please. I feel so bad for making you stay this long to help me.” 

Seulgi contemplated for a minute before agreeing.

---

The two learned a lot about each other that night. They learned that they were only eleven days apart and both had an older sibling, though Seulgi had an older brother and Wendy had an older sister. Wendy was born in Korea, but began studying abroad when she was young and hadn’t been back until now. 

“Woah, you’ve been at SM for almost six years now??” Wendy gasped 

“No wonder you’re so good at dancing. I bet you’re even better at singing.”

Seulgi frowned slightly. Even though Seulgi was recruited to become a singer, she hadn’t sang in front of anyone in a long time. While she was star struck by Wendy last week, she also remembered feeling a pang of jealousy as she listened to the girl easily change octaves and sing runs. She wished she approached music the same way Wendy did. 

Seulgi replied, “Well SM has a lot of great singers.” Seulgi changed the topic and before they knew it, it was time to go home. The two exchanged phone numbers and Seulgi thanked Wendy again for dinner and told her it would be her treat next time. 

On her train ride home Seulgi felt her phone vibrate. She pulled it out to see a text from Wendy.

Get home safe!! ^^ Thank you again for coming to dinner with me. It’s been lonely since I got to Korea. ><

Seulgi smiled and quickly replied.

Anytime! Thank you again for buying and get home safe too! ^^

---

As Seulgi drifted to sleep later that night, she began wondering, when was she going to debut. She saw so many friends come and go and yet she stayed. Her parents supported her no matter what, but she wasn’t sure if she made the right decision. Regardless, she hoped that Wendy wouldn’t leave her.