Part 1

Where it all began

“Alright everyone, that’s enough for today. I’ll see you all at dance practice next week!”

Everyone bowed and began gathering their things. Seulgi desperately needed water, but before she could reach her bookbag, she was stopped by Sooyoung.

“UNNIE! Do you want to grab dinner with me, joohyun unnie and Yeri? We’re getting your favorite, Korean barbeque!”

“Yeah unnie! Joohyun unnie is treating us” Yeri chimed in

“WHAT? Who promised that?” exclaimed the eldest

Seulgi couldn’t help but chuckle at their antics and replied, “Sorry guys, I wanted to practice a little more, have fun without me!”

Yeri furrowed her eyebrows, “But unnie, you’re the best in the class, you don’t need anymore practice.”

Seulgi feigned a smile, “I just want to be perfect.” 

“Alright guys, let’s go kids, I’m really hungry. Seulgi, don’t tire yourself out too much” replied Joohyun and Seulgi nodded. 

As Yeri and Sooyoung ran out the room, Joohyun looked back at Seulgi and sighed before following the younger two. She understood that Seulgi had been in the company training longer than all of them and was worried that if she slipped up, she would never debut. She just wished she wouldn’t be so hard on herself. 

Seulgi turned the music back on and danced her heart out. She felt the music flow through her arms and legs with each beat. Two hours later, she finally collapsed onto the ground and sprawled out. All she could hear was her rapid heartbeat and breathing. After a few minutes, her breathing returned the normal and Seulgi decided it was time to go home. She gathered her things and walked out the door. As she approached the exit, she suddenly heard music. 

Seulgi checked her watch which read 9:00 pm. “That’s odd.” Seulgi muttered to herself. “Who else is still here on a Friday evening?”

Seulgi began walking closer to the music and noticed a door ajar. She peered in and froze. There was a petite girl sitting in the corner strumming the guitar and singing with the most angelic voice Seulgi had ever heard.

“Wow, she sounds almost like Taeyeon unnie. I wonder who she is…”

Seulgi was lost in her thoughts and hadn’t noticed that the girl stopped playing and was staring right at her.

“Uh-oh…should I make a run for it?!” 

Before Seulgi’s feet could move, the girl got up and opened the door wider. 

“HI! I’m Seungwan, but you can call me Wendy. I’m a new trainee.” 

“H-Hi Wendy, sorry I didn’t mean to eavesdrop or anything. I was walking out the building and then I heard someone singing and well I ended up here. You sound amazing.”

Seulgi noticed the tinge of pink that rose in Wendy’s face as she shyly replied thank you. 

“Awe that’s cute.”

“Excuse me?” Wendy questioned 

Seulgi looked horrified, did she just say that out loud?

“I have to go, it was nice meeting you!” Seulgi yelled as she quickly ran out of the building. 

When she arrived home, Seulgi ran into her room and buried her face into her pillow.

“Ughhhh, I can’t believe I called her cute. Maybe she didn’t hear me. Hopefully we won’t see each other anytime soon. Yeah, she’s a new trainee, I doubt we’d have the same classes together.” 

Seulgi was exhausted and quickly got ready for bed. She spent the entire weekend convincing herself she wouldn’t see Wendy again. 

Seulgi walked into dance practice on Monday afternoon and Yeri waved her over. 

“Unnie! Did you hear? There’s a new trainee starting today! I heard she’s from Canada and she’s really good at singing.”

Seulgi broke out in cold sweat and hesitantly asked, “Do you know her name?”

Sooyoung chimed in, “Seunghoon? Seung something. Sounded like a boy’s name.”

Before Seulgi could reply the teacher came in and yelled for the class to settle down and right behind him was Seungwan.