Part 3

Where it all began

Practice went on as usual for the next few months. Wendy and Seulgi got closer and she introduced Wendy to all her friends. Sooyoung took an immediate liking for Wendy as the older girl praised the younger one.

 

“Wow you’re so tall and pretty.” Wendy exclaimed

 

“I know” replied Sooyoung as she flipped her hair and giggled

 

“Oh my god Wendy unnie are you blind??” yelled the youngest

 

“Wendy, ignore the children; it’s really nice to meet you” greeted the eldest

 

Seulgi chuckled as everyone got acquainted. She doesn’t remember feeling this happy in a long time. Wendy always brightened up her day, but she wasn’t sure why. She just felt warm when they were together.

---

Seulgi always sang late at night when everyone else had gone home. This night was no different. She made sure to close the door before she began flipping through her phone to see which song she wanted to try tonight. She soon settled on Titanium.

 

After she sang the last note she heard clapping. Startled, Seulgi turned around to see Wendy beaming at her.

 

“That was amazing! I knew you had a great voice!”

 

“W-what are you doing here?”

 

“Oh, I always stay later to practice and today I heard music and peeked in. I didn’t expect to see you singing though. I can’t believe you thought I was good. You’re the whole package!”

 

Wendy continued rambling until she noticed tears coming from Seulgi’s eyes. She scrunched her face and approached her slowly, “What’s wrong Seulgi-yah?”

 

Seulgi’s voice quivered as she replied, “I’m not good enough.”

 

Wendy’s heart dropped, “What do you mean?”

 

“I’ve trained here for six years Wendy. I used to train with Kai and Sehun. They’ve all debuted and I’m just stuck. I’m not talented enough. What if I just keep training and I never become a singer? I’m wondering if it’s time to quit.”

 

Wendy was dumbfounded and couldn’t do anything besides wrap Seulgi in her arms and rub circles into her back. They stayed like that for half an hour.

 

When Seulgi had finally calmed down, Wendy started speaking, “You know my first few weeks here, I felt like quitting. You guys were so good and I was lacking in so many areas. I never thought the road to becoming an artist was as hard as it is, but you always gave me the strength to continue.”

 

Wendy continued without looking at Seulgi, “You were always encouraging me and you were never selfish with helping me when I needed it. You’d been here for so long and didn’t have to, but you did and I love you for that.”

 

Seulgi froze, did she hear correctly?

 

She looked at Wendy, but the latter was avoiding eye contact. Seulgi’s heart started to beat faster and then reached out to grab Wendy’s hand, “Hey, look at me.”

 

Wendy looked up and Seulgi could feel her heart swell.

 

“I never minded helping you out whenever I could. You always did your best and that was all I could ask for. If it was someone else, it would have been harder, but it’s always been easy with you. You make me feel secure and confident. I’m thankful that you joined the company and I love you too.”

Wendy’s eyes widened and Seulgi felt like they were going to pop out. She suddenly felt shy and looked down. “Don’t look at me like that Seungwannie”

 

“Seungwannie?” Wendy beamed “I like the sound of that”
 

The next thing Seulgi knows, Wendy has her arms wrapped around her waist and head buried in her neck. Wendy then whispers, “As your Seungwannie, I will always be here to support you.”

---

Soon after the two became official, they received news from management that they were ready to debut a new girl group next year. Red Velvet. Management wanted her, Wendy, Joohyun unnie, Sooyoung and Yeri to be in the group, but Yeri was too young to debut so they decided that they would reveal her as part of SM Rookies and then add her when she was of age.

 

Everything felt surreal to Seulgi. The moment she had been waiting for had finally come and she didn’t know how to react. She felt a wave of emotion and started crying. She soon felt a pair of arms wrap around her from behind and a kiss pressed to her cheeks.

 

“Congratulations Seulgi-yah, you deserve it.”

 

Seulgi was beyond grateful. She was going to be on this journey with her best friends and girlfriend. She turned around to hug Seungwan and whispered in her ear, “Thanks Seungwannie, I couldn’t have done this without you.”