We Don't

Blended

The first thing Jaebum became aware of when he woke up too late Tuesday morning was Bambam’s arm throw across his face and Yugyeom snuggled up on his chest with the blanket balled up in his fists. Mark sitting at the end of the bed looking up at the tv and Jackson squeezed in next to Youngjae stretched out in the spot where Jinyoung should have been.

 

He distinctly remembered falling asleep with two children in his bed but it wasn’t that uncommon to wake up with five little people crammed into the small space. If Jaebum hadn’t felt so out of sorts he might have been able to enjoy their presence. After all, it wasn’t often he got the chance to have them all together to complete the strange puzzle they were.

 

He blinked rapidly attempting to adjust to the light streaming through the window, too bright for the earliness of the hour. Once his vision cleared he gently placed Bambam’s arm onto the pillow then sat up slowly as not to disturb Yugyeom when he shifted down to his lap making small grumbling sounds with the disturbance. He twisted his head to the left then to the right to work out the knot that had formed from the way he had been propped up against the pillows.

 

Jaebum spent much of the night awake, listening to Jinyoung try to calm Bambam enough to get him to sleep. At first he was a mess of half finished sentences and clung to Jinyoung like a baby in the hardest of the rain but he gradually calmed down with the storm and the last Jaebum remembered Bambam was retelling the story of Jimin and Jeongyeon while Jinyoung pat his back tiredly and hummed every time he was asked if he was listening.

 

Yugyeom seemed to be the only one out of the four of them that was able to get any real sleep. He laid comfortably in the middle of the bed between the warmth of both parents completely unbothered. All he ever needed was cuddles and he was good to go.

 

“School’s cancelled.” Mark said, he took Yugyeom into his own lap after seeing Jaebum’s predicament causing the six year-old to let out a huff. All Mark had to do was pat his head in the right place and he was back to snoring.

 

Jaebum ignored the guilt swirling in the back of his mind at how simple the action seemed for Mark, as if he’d done it a thousand times.                                                                                                                                               

 

He turned his attention to the television seeing the words ‘heat wave’ crawling across the screen with a giant sun sporting glasses and a smile in the corner above the weatherman, smiling, as he relayed all the schools being closed.  

 

When they called the two in particular Jaebum was listening out for, Mark threw another look over his shoulder. “It’s 98 degrees already.” The statement was backed up by the news anchor tugging uncomfortably at the collar of his dress shirt.

 

Jaebum slipped from underneath the covers wondering out loud where Jinyoung had gone.

 

Mark opened his mouth to answer shutting it before he could get a word out when the toilet flushed in the hall bathroom. “He’s been in there all morning.” He said, voice dropped down to a whisper.

 

It was then Jaebum noted the time on the bedside clock, well past when he should be dressed and on his way to work. He could hear the air conditioner rumbling through the floorboards and Youngjae mumbling in his sleep probably contributing factors to his late start. Jinyoung had been stingy about turning it on all summer stating he was protecting the environment.

 

Jaebum held in the sigh trying to fight its way out thinking of the lecture he’d get from his boss, and the cast, and the crew and…

 

He dragged his feet on the way to the bathroom, still not ready to face Jinyoung probably with his own speech prepared. He gave the door a few tentative knocks.

 

When there was no response he pushed it open, just enough so he could peak inside.

 

“Jin-what the hell?” he rushed over to his fiance, the younger man sat on the floor sweating and shivering, hunched over the toilet seat with his arms hugged tightly around his stomach. Jaebum pressed a hand to his forehead only to snatch it back even quicker as if he’d been burned.

 

“School is-“ Jinyoung began, cut off by a dry heave.

 

Jaebum ducked his head in an attempt to catch his eyes, “Cancelled. I know. I’m not worried about that right now.” He propped Jinyoung up against the bath tub with a steadying hand on his stomach, “I’m more worried about you.”

 

There were piles of tissue piled up around them and the night shirt Jinyoung had gone to bed in balled up in the sink, the one he had changed into was damp and sticking to him in a way that had to have been uncomfortable especially considering Jaebum was pretty sure it was another one of his.

 

Jinyoung struggled to open his eyes. He’d get one half up, revealing the whites but it soon fluttered shut and he groaned. Though Jaebum couldn’t tell if it was more out of frustration or pain.

 

While Jaebum could function on a few hours of sleep, Jinyoung was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum and once again Jaebum had to stamp down on the guilt shooting through him when he realized maybe Jinyoung wouldn’t be in such bad shape if Jaebum had taken Bambam and he could have gotten the proper rest.

 

His eyes were sunken in, mouth slightly open desperately trying to take in more air that if Jaebum were to guess by the way his chest rose and fell in such an erratic rhythm, his lungs weren’t taking in.

 

Jaebum pushed the sweat drenched hair away from his face, “What am I gonna do with you?”

 

He caught the corners of Jinyoung’s mouth twitching upward in the smallest ghost of smile and Jaebum wanted to duck in to kiss those lips but while he’d been covered in far worse, having raised three toddlers (five if he was being realistic) he really wasn’t keen on the puke breath.

 

“Is he okay?” Mark asked from the door. He clung to the frame half in, half out.

 

Jinyoung conjured a weak smile to reassure him, he tried saying something that might have been a response as well but couldn’t quite form the words.

 

Jaebum had seen Jinyoung sick before, much sicker than he was then. Even so it never ceased to scare him. How Jinyoung turned an unhealthy color of green, trembling even though the hand grasping weakly at his forearm felt as if it was melting his skin.

 

The last time Jaebum had seen him with more than a cough was when they were in high school and the flu had been going around. Jinyoung, being the genius he was decided it was a great idea to crawl up onto the roof with a blanket around his shoulders and use Jaebum as his personal heating pack so they could watch the thanksgiving parade going on a few streets over. Despite his parents buying him enough chicken soup and cold medicine to stock a CVS for the apocalypse Jinyoung was adamant nothing would do him better than Jaebum’s shoulder and strawberry soda. The next day he wound up in the hospital with IV’s in his arms.

 

Looking down at the man before him Jaebum felt an awful realization that just might end up happening again.

 

He checked to see Mark still standing in the doorway looking down at Jinyoung with his eyes blown wide. “Look at me Mark.” Jaebum said, pushing his own panic to the back of his mind.

 

Mark’s eyes drifted over to him like pulling his gaze away from Jinyoung was physically painful by the brief grimace that flashed across his face.

 

“He’s fine.” It was probably just a version of the cold Yugyeom had come down with and Jaebum was certain the only reason he was getting so worried was because he didn’t want the boys to worry. Not because Jinyoung would never forget to wake him up for work, to pester him about a good morning kiss or pass over the opportunity to cuddle up in bed with the kids no matter how off he felt.

 

Jinyoung offered another attempt at a smile, proving he was indeed lucid.

 

Jaebum didn’t believe the gesture himself and he didn’t have to give Mark a look to know he wasn’t buying it either. “Alright, we’re taking you to the hospital.”  

 

“No.” Jinyoung moaned, batting at the air. Though, when Jaebum went to sweep him up in his arms there was no strength left in his body to fight and Jinyoung all but collapsed in Jaebum’s hold.

 

Jaebum wondered if he squeezed him tight enough maybe he’d start feeling better just as Yugyeom had, though he had a much better cuddle buddy.

 

“I’ll have Jin over in an hour, you think you can handle your brothers until then?” Jaebum shook his head when Mark nodded, not having taken even a second to think about what he was agreeing to, “You don’t have to, I’m asking.”

 

“You have to take care of-“

 

“You. You and the rest of my family,” he spared Jinyoung a soft smile, “If you don’t think you can that’s fine, he’s just a little out of it right now I promise you he’s okay.”

 

Jaebum was certain Mark could handle Yugyeom and Youngjae by himself, he’d ended up having to do just that many more times than Jaebum would have liked to admit to himself but adding Bambam and Jackson (despite how much of an adult the eleven year old swore he was) on top of that was something Mark had never done without at least Heechul around to pretend to watch over them all.

 

Mark glimpsed over his shoulder, probably into the bedroom where Bambam had shifted so he was practically underneath Youngjae and Jackson had began to move around in his sleep. He nodded once again, his attention falling back to Jaebum. “I can handle it.” He set his mouth in a line and for a second he seemed much older than his twelve years would have led one to believe.

 

Jaebum felt his chest swell with pride, surprised with himself for raising such a responsible preteen (he was still having a hard time accepting that Mark was getting so close to the terrible teens. He could raise a toddler but teenagers were a different story) he ducked down to give Mark a kiss to the forehead, “One hour.”

 

He squeezed out the door sideways with Mark still hovering over him, splitting his attention between the stairs and Jinyoung. In that position with his head tucked into Jaebum’s shoulder Jaebum could hear his breath coming out in short puffs.

 

Yugyeom had exhibited much of the same symptoms when he crawled into bed with Jaebum just days before only on a smaller scale to match his small body. Jaebum briefly wondered if he was being over dramatic, Yugyeom was fine after some rest and Nyquil maybe all Jinyoung really needed was a kid free bed.

 

One helpless whimper from Jinyoung was all it took for him to shake the thought away before it even had a chance to take root.

 

Jaebum whispered reassurances into his hair as they made their way through the mine field of shoes, hotwheels and scattered crayons.

 

It was a slow trip out to the car. Jaebum had to stop to slip into his shoes and grab his keys off the hook. Mark following behind him silently like a shadow. Eventually they made it, the sun beaming down on them causing Jinyoung to shiver for some reason.

 

Jaebum got him situated in the passenger’s seat with his head lolling in to the crook between the window and the headrest, then rounded to the driver’s side. He smiled over at Mark standing in the doorway, mustering every last bit of compassion into the expression.

 

Mark held up his pointer finger mouthing the words, “One hour.”

 

“One hour,” Jaebum said even though he was sure Mark wouldn’t be able to hear. He gave one of Jinyoung’s knees a squeeze.

 

“No hospital.” Jinyoung complained, his trembling fingers curled into his palms to try to hold on to some of the heat escaping them.

 

Jaebum gave in to his urges and kissed a sweat slick cheek.

 

He turned the key in the ignition then pulled off, holding Mark’s figure in the rearview mirror for as long as possible before he disappeared.

 


 

 As soon as the door closed Mark could practically feel his resolve being right out of him.

 

He checked the clock stationed in the living room,

 

Fifty-nine minutes.

 

He could handle fifty-nine minutes.

 

He took in a deep breath then went to the kitchen to find something for everyone to eat. That was always the first thing on their minds after they rolled out of bed. If he was diligent Mark was sure he could make something half as good as Jaebum but that idea was abandoned the second he caught Yugyeom walking in out the corner of his eye just as he reached for the box of pancake mix.

 

“Where’s dad?” Yugyeom came to a stop beside his brother still blinking sleep out of his eyes.

 

Mark grabbed the box of fruity pebbles with one hand then the box of frosted flakes in the other. When Yugyeom pointed to the frosted flakes he got out one of the plastic bowls except, before he could add the cereal Yugyeom reached out for the box to do it himself.

 

“The doctor.” Mark said, not wanting to lie but not really wanting to explain what went on while the rest of the house snoozed away. It made a sick feeling settle in the bottom of his stomach just thinking about it, he could only imagine how it would make the little ones feel.

 

“How come we don’t have school?”

 

Mark tipped the box up before they wound up with cereal all over the floor, answering the question at the same time he replaced the box atop the fridge, “It’s closed because of the heat.”

 

“Oh…okay.” Yugyeom said carrying his bowl over to his usual spot with a spoon that had a picture of a cat printed on the handle. He scooted his chair up to the table while Mark got out the milk.

 

“Hey Mark, can we go outside?”

 

“Maybe, when it cools down.”

 

“Okay.” He shoveled a spoon full of cereal into his mouth once Mark finished pouring and chewed, kicking his feet under the table at the same time in what Jaebum had dubbed as his happy dance. “Best day ever.”

 

Mark breathed out slowly, Yugyeom was easiest to handle in his opinion, only ever needing something to occupy his attention. It was when he got around other people that he turned into a monster.

 

“Why did dad have to go to the hospital?” Yugyeom paused mid bite tilting his head to the left so he could look up at Mark.

 

Before Mark had to make up an excuse Jackson stumbled down the stairs looking around the living room like he wasn’t sure where he was, he looked between Yugyeom and Mark then screamed at the top of his lungs, “Dad?”

 

He ran yanked the front door open, standing on the tips of his toes to see if their cars were still outside. “Dad?” he continued.

 

Yugyeom continued eating.

 

Mark rested his cheek on his fist, waiting patiently for Jackson to put two and two together.

 

“Does this mean we have the house to ourselves? Cause Hoseok finally let me borrow resident evil.” He grabbed the fruit bowl off the top shelf of the refrigerator then set it down in the center of the table with a half eaten bag of gummy worms.

 

Mark lit up at that, Hoseok bought it up a few weeks ago how he guilt tripped Namjoon into buying it for him after he was late picking him up from dance practice. He’d only played it once before giving it to Jackson using the excuse ‘it was boring’ though really if you asked Mark he was too much of a scaredy cat to handle anything above all the super Mario games he had.

 

“And I totally forgot my science project, this is like…the best day ever.” He said with half a worm hanging from his lips.

 

Yugyeom jumped in his seat, “That’s what I said.”

 

Jackson ruffled his hair, a simple action that had just a small amount of jealousy shooting through Mark before he shook it off and swallowed it down with a green worm.

 

“I wanna play.” Bambam yelled from where he was stationed at the top of the steps. He ran down two at a time, his tiredness forgotten for the time being.

 

Jackson rolled his eyes, “You’re gonna have nightmares then dad’s gonna find out then I’ll be grounded forever.”

 

“You never let me play.” Bambam whined, “If you don’t let me play I’m gonna tell dad when he gets back.” He crossed his arms over his chest, setting his face in concentration.

 

Jackson slammed the refrigerator shut, “You’re so annoying.”

 

Bambam shrugged knowing he’d won.

 

“Can I play too?” Yugyeom asked, cheeks full of cereal and milk dribbling down his chin.

 

Mark bit his lip, this was probably the point he should step in and say no one was playing since Jinyoung was adamant about keeping such games out of the house. For good reason as well, Youngjae wouldn’t sleep in his own bed for a week after he saw the opening scene of bioshock.

 

If Mark was being honest however, he wouldn’t mind watching. It was always hilarious seeing Jackson fail a million times and scream whenever he swore his character did something it clearly didn’t. It was even better when they played versus mode and Jackson swore Mark cheated.

 

Mark cracked a smile remembering the time Jackson made him play with his eyes closed and still lost.

 

“I won’t get scared I promise.” Yugyeom held his hand to his heart probably something he picked up from someone else.

 

Jackson looked like he might say no, he drummed his fingers against the counter top with his eyes screwed shut but then he opened them with a tentative, “Fine-but,” he stole a bite of Yugyeom’s cereal. “If you guys have nightmares I’ll deny everything.”

 

They both cheered reminding Mark of Youngjae missing from their group, he was hardly surprised though. The kid could sleep like a rock any day of the week.

 

Mark excused himself after checking to make sure Jackson was helping Bambam fix his bowl then up the stairs he went, finding Youngjae spread out in the center of the bed with the pillows thrown all over the floor and the blanket laying awkwardly over his legs. He snored loud as ever, unbothered by the noise coming from downstairs that Mark wanted nothing to do with.

 

He checked the clock once again.

 

Fifty minutes.

 

He would get Youngjae up, get him breakfast, they’d all play games together then Jin would come and Mark could ride his skateboard around the block until either he got sick of it or Jaebum called him in for dinner.

 

Despite the air pouring through the vents the temperature was still just a little too high and Mark could see the beads of sweat clinging to his forehead when he pulled Youngjae up to a sitting position, patting his chest and whispering ‘wake up’ but after five minutes of that and an exasperated “Move Bambam” from Jackson downstairs he went to the age old technique of grabbing his ankles and pulling him off the bed so he landed on the collection of pillows on the floor with a little grunt.

 

“No, no, no.” he groaned, curling up against a pillow.

 

“Come on you have to get breakfast.”

 

If he didn’t get Youngjae up then, he’d probably be up all night. Then Jaebum would be annoyed and Jinyoung would be annoyed and Mark would be annoyed and Mark hated being annoyed because it usually wasn’t far after that he ended up angry.

 

No.” Youngjae defended.

 

Mark closed his eyes, counted to the three, then opened them. He was supposed to do the deep breathing thing too but that never worked, it made his chest flutter in such a strange way he wasn’t sure if he was calming down or getting even more upset.

 

“You can take the pillow I just need you to come downstairs.”

 

Youngjae peaked out of the corner of his eye, squinting in suspicion. He sat up fully, clutching the pillow to his chest with both arms, “No school?”

 

Mark shook his head.

 

Jackson ran up the steps cheering when the news came in. He scooped Youngjae up when he stumbled out of his room completely dazed and started singing Queen, not long after that the three of them wound up in bed with Jinyoung when he asked them all to be quiet so he could sleep a little longer before work and Youngjae just crawled onto the mattress and was back to snoring within minutes. Jackson made himself comfortable between Jinyoung’s knees flipping through channels but even he didn’t last long before he fell asleep with his backpack still on his shoulders.

 

Mark would’ve fallen asleep too at the foot of the bed but then he saw Jinyoung rushing to the bathroom and he couldn’t say why but for some reason he couldn’t close his eyes for more than a second without worrying something was wrong. (The constant retching coming from behind the door didn’t help either)

 

Youngjae got to his feet (pillow in hand of course) looking up at Mark expectantly.

 

“I’m not carrying you.” He said.

 

Youngjae didn’t budge.

 

>>>

 

“I want a piggy back ride too, that’s not fair.” Yugyeom pouted when Mark entered the kitchen dropping Youngjae and his pillow off beside the sink where Bambam was stuffing mushy cereal down the garbage disposal.

 

“Are you finished eating yet?” he looked down at the unfinished bowl of food with a quirked eyebrow. He refused to break his resolve twice in one morning. If he started picking up Yugyeom then Bambam would want a ride too and the cycle would never end.

 

Youngjae picked an orange out of the fruit bowl and set to work peeling it, though between his blunt nails and chubby fingers Mark knew he’d eventually have to do the real work.

 

Yugyeom glared up at him as if Mark had done something wrong, “You’re not fair.”

 

“Baby.” Bambam said under his breath.

 

“I’m not a baby.” He set his lips in a pout that was very baby-like in Mark’s opinion but he kept his mouth shut.

 

“Sure you aren’t,” Bambam said with a shrug.

 

“I’m not!” Yugyeom went stomping into the living room to watch Jackson set up his game system, throwing himself on the couch with all the force of a teddy bear.

 

Mark counted to three.

 

Forty minutes.

 

“You can’t say that.” Youngjae added.

 

Bambam turned from the sink to say, “I can say whatever I want cause you’re not the boss of me.”

 

“But it’s mean. You can’t be mean.”

 

Mark smiled down at him, his speech had improved so much recently. He felt a strange sense of pride watching his little brother go from barely being able to string two coherent words together to trading comebacks with the resident motor mouth.

 

“I’m not mean, he acts like a baby so he’s a baby.”

 

“No. I’m. Not.” Yugyeom screamed.

 

Jackson threw the tv remote down in frustration, “Will you guys shut-up I can’t focus.”

 

“You can’t tell me what to do!” Bambam reached up to turn the garbage disposal on but most of his attention remained on Jackson.

 

Mark stared between the two of them wondering who’s side to take. Wondering if he should say anything at all or let them yell at each other until it wasn’t his problem anymore.

 

Maybe if he’d said something earlier, when voices started to raise and smiles turned to scowls Bambam would’ve remembered his fingers were still down the drain covered in cereal bits, maybe Mark would have remembered exactly why he and Yugyeom were forbidden from using the dishwasher, maybe there wouldn’t have been a blood curdling scream as Bambam flicked the switch upward and the grinders .

 


 

What an idiot 

 

Jinyoung thought as he looked over at Jaebum sitting in one of the uncomfortable metal fold up chairs against the wall. A jacket haphazardly thrown over his chest, head pillowed against the equally uncomfortable wall and his mouth hung open, if Jinyoung squinted he could see drool running down his chin.

 

He smiled to himself, finding the mess before him more attractive than when he spent an hour in the bathroom running gel through his hair and trying to get the perfectly smudged eye liner.

 

My idiot 

 

There was a tube connected to a needle that was inserted into his inner arm and held down by tape, the whole contraption keeping a steady stream of saline flowing through his veins. His pajamas had been replaced by a thin hospital gown that made him feel much more exposed than he actually was when the air hit him in the wrong spot and his socks were the thick brown kind with the little rubber lines on the bottom.

 

The air carried the trademark hospital smell that made Jinyoung crinkle his nose in disgust, he could see the hallway from his position in bed if he raised his head enough and there was a woman old enough to be his grandmother walking towards his door.

 

“Finally you’re up.” She said, too perky for how subdued Jinyoung felt said as she promptly stuck a thermometer in his mouth, “Still a little high but it’s a lot better than when you came in.”

 

His cheeks heated up when he remembered Jaebum carrying into the emergency room, his brain was still a little fuzzy about the whole incident but he had a feeling those memories were best kept for the dark part of his mind reserved for ever growing list of embarrassing moments with Im Jaebum.

 

Jinyoung watched out of the corner of his eye as the nurse went over to the assortment of machines at his bedside, clicking buttons and humming a tune to herself.

 

“You gave sleepy head over there quite the scare.”

 

His gaze drifted back over to Jaebum, Jinyoung could cough the wrong way and he’d claim it was a sign of the end. He was less surprised with the fact that he was in the hospital Jaebum not having called a funeral director already.

 

“It’s a miracle he’s asleep now, I didn’t think he blinked at first.”

 

Jinyoung tried to respond but his words shriveled up in his throat that felt surprisingly raw.

 

“Stomach acid, not good for the esophagus.” She slid over a tray that held an assortment of multi-color jello, “Take your pick, they all taste the same.”

 

Jinyoung settled for an orange cup that tasted like something so generic he couldn’t describe it if he wanted to. He threw it back in one gulp, the coolness momentarily soothed his burning throat.

 

“Now we can get to the fun stuff. Sir?” she called over to Jaebum causing him to stir.

 

He looked around in confusion before his eyes fell on Jinyoung and he was up in a second, hair clung to one side of his head and sticking up in every direction on the other. Probably from running his hands through it if Jinyoung hand to guess.

 

Jaebum brushed the tubes hanging above him away from his face like he was one of the most delicate things in the world at the same he clutched Jinyoung’s hand like if he let go Jinyoung might shatter.

 

Jinyoung could feel the heat in his face rising with the action but was grateful nonetheless. It was so far away from how they used to be, when Jaebum wouldn’t even let their hands brush without flinching. When Jinyoung was more afraid of giving his boyfriend a kiss on the cheek than the repercussions that came afterward.

 

The nurse chuckled with a shake of her head, “You, my dear friend have a very bad bug floating around inside of you.”

 

“He’ll be okay, right?” Jaebum asked squeezing Jinyoung’s hand just a bit too tight to be comfortable and Jinyoung did his best to squeeze back.

 

She nodded, “Some antibiotics, extra rest, you’ll be good to go in no time. This is honestly a case of someone not taking care of themselves properly.”

 

They both breathed out a sigh of relief, Jinyoung hadn’t realized how worried he was that just maybe he’d pushed his body too far this time.

 

When he felt the pressure from Jaebum’s hand let up, Jinyoung peaked up at him out the corner of eye. That was one of the many reasons he fell for the guy.

 

They both didn’t know when to relax.

 

“You’re lucky, if you hadn’t come in when you did it could have been much worse. There’s only so many fluids you can lose before bad things start happening.” She made sure to look Jinyoung directly in the eye, like she was chastising a bratty child and Jinyoung cowered under the look, “The doctor should be around in about half an hour to make sure you’re all set to head home so sit tight.” She gave one last smile before she was walking out the door yelling for someone to page Dr.Kim.

 

As soon as her figure disappeared down the hall Jaebum attacked Jinyoung with a flurry of kisses that left him trying not to laugh and risk agitating his throat. It ended with a long one to the lips tasting of strawberry and mint.

 

When they broke apart Jaebum was smiling so hard his eyes disappeared and all Jinyoung could see were the little moles peaking out beneath his brow. He yanked Jaebum down by the neck of his t-shirt to press a kiss into them because hell, he could be sappy too if no one was around.

 

“I was worried.”

 

“You don’t say.” Jinyoung said his voice raspy.

 

Jaebum shook his head, “Hold the sass I don’t think your throat can take it.” He held out a red jello cup that Jinyoung downed in one go, “You didn’t see how bad you looked this morning and you heard what she said it could have been worse.”

 

Jinyoung shivered at the thought, he’d been feeling off most of the week but he chalked it up to stress but knowing just how easily things could have gone south if he didn’t have a family full of drama kings made him feel a lot more guilty than he had been that morning when the first wave of sickness passed over him.

 

“I guess…I owe you a thank you or something?”

 

“Or something.” Jaebum said with a wink.

 

Jinyoung rolled his eyes, “What about the kids?”

 

He remembered they were out of school for some reason or another. Last thing Jinyoung could recall clearly they were all in varying stages of sleep, tucked snuggly under the blankets with the news playing in the background that Jaebum might have put on when he woke up briefly.

 

“Jin’s watching them you’ve got nothing to worry about.”

 

Jinyoung breathed out slowly if Jaebum had said Heechul, doctor be damned he’d run all the way home dragging the IV stand and Jaebum along with him.  

 

“Did they see anything?”

 

“Just Mark.”

 

“What?” he tried to sit up but Jaebum was quicker, hands shooting out to hold him steady, “He knows I’m okay right?”

 

“Yes, I sent him a message the moment they had you stabilized. Everything is fine, you just rest.” He shifted the pillows so Jinyoung could lay flat against the bed.

 

Jinyoung nodded.

 

Rest.

 

All he had to do was rest.

 

“But okay, shouldn’t he hear my voice? Cause if it was me I’d want to hear my voice.”

 

Jaebum checked out in the hall, momentarily leaving his fiance’s side to close the door so there was only a tiny sliver of light peaking through, the hustle and bustle of hospital life going on around them quieted for the time being. When he returned, he climbed over the rail, squeezing himself into the tiny space not occupied by tubes or Jinyoung himself. “You got here by worrying about the kids too much and not taking care of yourself.”

 

Despite the pain that accompanied it Jinyoung wasn’t about to let the issue go without a comeback, “That’s not true, if anything I’ve been worried about the wedding.”

 

Jinyoung had to bite his tongue not to blurt out they were out of a wedding planner. It just didn’t seem like the right time with Jaebum already so high strung.

 

“Oh so last night you didn’t stay up with Bambam?”

 

Jinyoung shook his head, “That’s different, he can’t control his anxiety like Mark can.”

 

Not to mention, Jinyoung himself was partially to blame for his son’s condition. If it hadn’t been for him who knew whether Bambam would be in a such position in the first place. It was a miracle Jackson was doing as well as he was, Jinyoung didn’t think he could live with himself if he’d ruined any chance of normalcy for both of them.

 

“Fine then what about waking up extra early every morning to make breakfast for everyone?”

 

You do that, I just fail at it until you come to rescue me.”

 

“All those little talks you have with Youngjae?”

 

“What am I not supposed to try to be a good dad?”

 

“Okay, then when you picked Mark and Jackson up from school. You didn’t have to do that you know, the principal offered to put them in detention until I could pick them up.”

 

“I didn’t want you to yell at them. I thought if you had time to cool down first-“

 

“You’re literally proving my point right now.”

 

“Don’t interrupt me.” Jinyoung narrowed his eyes feigning anger.

 

Jaebum half nodded, half sighed. He really couldn’t win with this guy.

 

“Can you just let me be right for once?” he looked down at him with a little pout that Jinyoung leaned up to kiss away.

 

“Pouting is my thing remember?”

 

Jaebum gave him an annoyed glare.

 

It was always like that, Jinyoung forgetting to see the good in himself. Jaebum doing his best to remind him, no matter how exasperating the task.

 

“Fine hyung. You can be right…this once.” Jinyoung said with a grimace holding up a finger to emphasize his point.

 

“See now was it that hard?”

 

Jinyoung nodded quickly. “It was so painful on so many levels.”

 

If Jinyoung was being honest with himself, his throat felt like scalding hot knives were being poked through it, despite all the energy pulsing through him talking was still off the table for the time being. If giving Jaebum his way meant he’d get to stop talking for a while, he’d let him have it just this once.

 

“Well I know one way I can make it better,” Jaebum dipped in for a kiss to his lips, only without the nurse around things didn’t end when lips parted and tongues collided.

 

Jinyoung pulled away first his blush deepening, “We are in a hospital.” Jinyoung placed a hand against his chest to keep him from coming closer, there was only so much self control he could exercise with his defenses already so weakened.

 

“Still not the most public place we’ve-“

 

Jaebum.” 

 

“Alright, alright. I’m just saying there’s five kids waiting for us when we get home. This is probably the most time we’ll have to ourselves for who knows how long.”

 

Jinyoung rolled his eyes once again, he really hated it when Jaebum was right.

 

“The doctor will be back in thirty minutes.” He commented as if it were any defense.

 

Jaebum smiled down at him, “That’s all I need.”

  


 

 

Yugyeom sat on the floor with a first aid kit between his legs peeling the paper off band aids and ripping apart cotton swabs, he had a nice pile growing beside him of plastic and fluff (mixed in with a few drops of peroxide before Mark made him put it back.) Half his arm was wrapped up in gauze that Youngjae had written on in the strange style he dubbed hang gool with one of the cool pens Jaebum kept in the coffee table drawer and the ice packs had been stomped to an untimely death beneath his feet.

 

“So loud.” Youngjae whined from the living room where he was surrounded by a spread of coloring books and the markers he wasn’t allowed to have.

 

“He’s dying Youngjae have some sympathy.” Jackson held a screaming Bambam in his lap while Mark dabbed at the cuts on his left hand with the cotton swabs Yugyeom had yet to destroy.

 

There were cereal bowls all over the table, milk still sitting out getting too warm and a half eaten apple that had rolled out of sight when Mark bought the first aid kit down and Yugyeom lost interest in it.

 

The first aid kit was usually up in the medicine cabinet with the cool red cross on the front and complicated words Yugyeom didn’t understand. It had always been too high up for Yugyeom to reach even when he stood on the sink and the second Mark turned his back to look after Bambam, Yugyeom claimed it as his victim.

 

“Die quieter.” Youngjae whispered, head cradled against his shoulder to block out some of the noise.

 

“I’m dying?” Bambam continued to scream.

 

Yugyeom screamed right along with him. He thought it was funny seeing who could scream loudest, even though Bambam hadn’t exactly agreed to play.

 

They were supposed to be playing video games until Jin came over but Yugyeom found the wound cleaning process far too intriguing to walk away from. Besides,

 

Mark wasn’t the boss of him.

 

“We’re almost done.” Jackson bounced Bambam in his lap doing his best to calm him down.

 

Mark grumbled when he spilled alcohol on his pants, “You’re supposed to keep him still.”

 

“That’s what I’m trying to do.”

 

“Do a better job then.”

 

Yugyeom looked between the two of them, at their squinted eyes and drawn down brows. “Are you mad at each other?”

 

“No.” they both said at the same time sharing a strange sort of eye contact.

 

Yugyeom looked to Youngjae.

 

“Sound mad.” Youngjae confirmed with a shrug.

 

“Well we’re not.” Jackson cut in.

 

Mark nodded, handling one of Bambam’s fingers a little more roughly than necessary causing the seven year old to let out another cry of pain.

 

Yugyeom let out his own shout.

 

Youngjae grumbled.

 

Yugyeom was trying not to worry about his parents in the hospital, occupying himself with whatever he could until they got back but looking at Bambam in so much pain over the tiny nicks in his skin made his mind wander.

 

Back to things Yugyeom couldn’t really remember clearly.

 

Things that made him want to cover his ears like Youngjae.

 

Made his hands shake and an indescribable feeling would settle over him.

 

Yugyeom shook his head so fast he laughed when a dizzy sensation momentarily settled over him, it was a trick Jaebum had taught him. It was supposed to make the bad thoughts tumble out his ears, and the weird feelings would be flicked off the ends of his hair, “When does Jin get here?”

 

“Twenty-six minutes.” Mark said quickly.

 

“When does dad come back.”

 

A frown flashed over his face, “…I don’t know.”

 

“I want dad come back…and Mr.Park.” Youngjae came over with a coloring book in one hand and a few markers in the other. He sat beside Yugyeom pushing the mess his brother had created out of the way so it scattered all over the kitchen floor.

 

“Me too.” Bambam said through tears.

 

Jackson looked like he was about to give Bambam another bounce but decided against it and gave his back a pat instead. He dropped his head onto Bambam’s shoulder, watching Mark apply the last of the band aids to the bottom of Bambam’s thumb, it was a little circular one with superhero’s on it, so cool Yugyeom wished he’d stuck his own hand down the garbage disposal.

 

Though Bambam only had his hand down the drain for a less a second Mark having yanked it out before any real damage could be done, Bambam hadn’t stop screaming since and Yugyeom thought there had to be easier ways to get cool band aids.

 

When Mark deemed Bambam healed and the fun part was over Yugyeom took to stacking the markers by their caps. He ended up with a line almost as tall as himself if it wasn’t for Youngjae needing the red one to color in a snake.

 

(“Snakes aren’t red.”)

 

(“But I like red.”)

 

“Look I made a sword.” He twirled a piece of Bambam’s hair around the end causing his frown to break for the smallest of seconds. “I am Marker Man.”

 

Mark reached out to snap off the top section, he let it roll around in his palm briefly before he held it out to Bambam, “It’s a light saber.”

 

“Like…like Dark Vader.” Bambam stuttered out, his tears had gone by then replaced by hiccups and sniffles.

 

Mark nodded, it almost looked like he was…smiling?

 

Yugyem jumped to his feet, “I want to be Luke.”

 

“That m-makes me your dad.” Bambam giggled, he dropped his voice as low it would go (which wasn’t that low considering he was seven) then said, “Luke I am your father.”

 

“No!” Yugyeom held his ‘light saber’ to his chest, utterly scandalized.

 

Bambam hopped out of Jackson’s lap brandishing his light saber, “Join the dark side.”

 

“No,” Yugyeom repeated before he ran off to the living room, “You’ll never take me alive.” He hid behind the couch so only his eyes peaked out over top.

 

“That leaves me no choice.” He swung the light saber in an ‘x’ pattern, “I’ll have to kill you.” Bambam charged in, screaming with what little voice he had left.

 

“Do your worst.”

 


 

“I don’t appreciate being treated like a criminal.” Jackson said defiantly.

 

He, along with Mark, Youngjae, Bambam and Yugyeom were sat on the couch while Jin stood at the stove in the kitchen trying to remake the spaghetti Jinyoung had destroyed the night before with Jungkook at his side following his every step.

 

“You think this is criminal treatment wait until Jaebum gets to you.”

 

“At least he doesn’t make us watch reading rainbow.” Jackson mumbled looking over at the pieces of lamp swept up in the dust pan.

 

“Reading rainbow?” Jungkook cheered.

 

“That’s right Kookie, you want to watch reading rainbow with Gyeomie?”

 

“Please no.” Yugyeom said as he sank lower into the couch.

 

A collective chuckle came from the group, even Youngjae who thought Yugyeom was a little ridiculous in his blatant aversion to the kid.

 

“No.” Jungkook answered and Jackson could hear the little ‘thank you’ Yugyeom said before Jin gave him a sideways look and he pretended to be talking to Bambam about something he’d seen on tv.

 

Jackson thought the couch was already uncomfortable enough without Bambam’s bony digging into his lap, add Youngjae and his feet tunneling into his side and reading freaking rainbow Jackson had the perfect storm of the most uncomfortable day off imaginable.

 

Jackson guessed he finally understood why Hoseok was so studious, if it meant getting away from LeVar Burton, Jackson would do just about anything.

 

Looking over at Mark, he didn’t seem to be doing much better squirming to get comfortable underneath Yugyeom. When they caught each other’s eye instead of immediately looking away Jackson nodded towards the marker on the coffee table, just out of his reach.

 

Mark glared at him, picking up the utensil slowly as not to draw Jin’s attention. Once he had it safely at his side he looked to Jackson with a face that read, What now? 

 

Jackson wiggled his eyebrows.

 

Mark rolled his eyes.

 

If they were stuck on the couch until their parents came home they might as well have some fun.

 

Jackson took the marker from his hand checking to make sure Jin was still focused on the meatballs he was preparing, fresh ground beef and all before he aimed and-

 

“Put it down.” Jin said without looking up from the cutting board.

 

So plan A was a bust.

 

Bambam was usually less compliant himself but with a raw throat from screaming, a cut up hand and now a broken lamp under his belt Jackson was pretty much alone in his plight. Mark was a goody two shoes at heart after all, not to mention he still kinda hated Jackson’s guts for no reason at all.

 

So when Mark raised his eyebrows for plan b Jackson had to blink away the confusion before he nodded in understanding.

 

“Jinnie I have to go to the bathroom.” Jackson whined.

 

Jin sent him off with a wave off his hand, a gesture that Jungkook copied and Jin cooed.

 

Jackson held four fingers at his side that Mark acknowledged by shifting Yugyeom on his lap so he could peer out at the clock over his shoulder. He blinked twice.

 

Jackson sighed getting ready to argue but with Jin’s sixth sense for mischief he really didn’t have time to get into it.

 

“Alright I’m going to the bathroom.”

 

He took the stairs two at a time starting the count as soon as he entered Jinyoung’s room.

 

He had two minutes.

 

Jackson knew Mark kind of at stalling but he thought two minutes was a little short, especially for what he was tasked with.

 

Though even if he didn’t find what he was looking for Jackson couldn’t help but feel a little better already, not only had Mark remembered their escape plans but he wasn’t totally icing Jackson out anymore. Their argument earlier was a sign of just that, they were making progress.

 

Jinyoung had promised the day Jackson turned thirteen he’d get a real cellphone, since kids (which Jackson was eleven and everyone knows you stop being a kid at ten-no Jackson wasn’t arguing) had no use for phones other than to call home and call the police. He’d made the same promise to Mark when Jaebum started staying over more frequently and ever since he’d gotten a new phone (as a birthday present that Jackson may or may not have accidentally spilled the beans on) the old one had been hidden away in the bedroom.

 

Just like Jin had his sixth sense, Jinyoung had one too and practically every time he went out he’d hide the phone in a new place. Jackson thought it was stupid if he was being honest, it was Mark’s phone anyway in like three months.

 

“How long does it take to use the bathroom Jackson?” he heard Jin call up the stairs.

 

Jackson drummed his fingers against the dresser wondering how a full minute had gone by.

 

The last place Jinyoung had hidden it was underneath Jaebum’s side of the mattress and Jackson doubted it’d be underneath Jinyoung’s side since that was way too predictable. The only logical place he could think of was the closet in the pocket of one of his coats.

 

Jackson always hated the dresser, especially at night when the coats turned into monsters reaching out to get him.

 

He shivered at the thought.

 

Thirty seconds.

 

Jackson closed his eyes and plunged his hand into each pocket quickly, moving down the row at lightning speed. It was when he got to the one in the back that he felt the cool rectangular piece of plastic he’d been searching for.

 

He switched it into his own pocket then started down the steps with five seconds to spare.

 

“I had to wash my hands.” He said exasperatedly. “And dry them.” He added when Mark cleared his throat.

 

Jackson returned to his seat on the couch looking at Mark with a devious smile.

 

“You want to know something Jackson?” Jin walked in with Jungkook on his hip and spaghetti sauce on the apron Jinyoung bought and never used. “I didn’t hear a toilet flush.”

 

Almost.

 


 

 Youngjae was almost asleep when he heard the door open late that night.

 

He had clean pajamas on and new set of sheets fresh out the dryer on his bed. Jin had offered to let Jungkook share the bed with him if Youngjae couldn’t fall asleep but Youngjae just shook his head, too shy to remind Jin he hadn’t checked for the monster under his bed.

 

He laid in underneath his blankets unblinking and looking to the ceiling, listening to Yugyeom and Bambam snore down the hall and Jin downstairs playing Mario Kart with Mark and Jackson.

 

It was too dark to get any toys out and if Youngjae was being honest he really wasn’t in the mood for them. He just wanted to know where his parents had gone and why they didn’t wake anyone to say goodbye. Mark mentioned they went to the hospital and Youngjae thought they would have to come back eventually, yet there it was bed time and he hadn’t seen a sign of them all night.

 

So when he heard Jaebum ask why Mark was still up, Youngjae hopped out of bed and immediately ran for the stairs taking them two at a time. Of course he tripped on the last step but that didn’t matter because,

 

“Daddy.” He ran over to Jaebum who scooped him up with a soft smile. Youngjae threw his arms around Jaebums neck, “I missed you.”

 

Jaebum rubbed a few circles into his lower back, placing a kiss at the base of his neck, “Missed you too Sunshine.”

 

“Where’s Mr.Park?”

 

“Sulking.” Jin said cut off by a cheer when once again he’d been beaten by Mark on rainbow road. “It’s just spaghetti Prince Jinyoung.”

 

“Some of us aren’t part time chefs Seokjin, now my kids have an unrealistic expectation for my cooking.”

 

“Any expectation is unrealistic for you.” Jackson mumbled when he disappeared into the basement, gone before Jinyoung could chastise him for being up so late.

 

Youngjae giggled.

 

Jaebum let Youngjae down to go off into the kitchen, he looked up at Jinyoung curiously.

 

He couldn’t tell what is was but something was off, maybe it was the awkward way Jinyoung held his stomach or the off color of his skin but Youngjae didn’t ask to be picked up just sat at the table while Jinyoung made coffee.

 

“Are you dying too?” he asked.

 

Jinyoung dumped out a small amount of grounds in the filter throwing a look over his shoulder, “No, who’s dying?”

 

“Bambam died a little bit. We were really scared.”

 

“What?” he turned fully though before Youngjae could continue Jaebum materialized with a tight lipped smile plastered on his face.

 

“Hey why don’t you just go rest for a bit? I can make my own coffee.” Jaebum didn’t leave much room for response just pushed Jinyoung toward the stairs. After he made sure Jinyoung was out of sight he returned to the kitchen. “Let’s not tell Mr.Park about Bambam just yet.”

 

“But…” Youngjae slumped in his seat, utterly confused.

 

Why did he have to keep secrets from Mr.Park?

 

Jaebum took a knee before him, “He’s really tired today so we have to be on our best behavior.”

 

“Bambam wasn’t on his best behavior,” Youngjae stumbled over the word so it ended up sounding more like ‘behave-or’.

 

“I know, we’ll deal with that tomorrow. Right now, you and you,” he said to Mark in the other room, “Need to be in bed.”

 

Jin set his controller down finally, picking up a sleeping Jungkook, “Sorry I kept him up. This one’s always a tough opponent.” He ruffled Mark’s hair with one hand.

 

Mark smiled under the praise.

 

“Until next time Baby Peach.” Jin held his hand out for a shake that Mark took gladly. He left with a wave and, “Tell the Prince to call me when he feels better.”

 

“I heard that.” Jinyoung called.

 

“You were meant to.”

 

Jaebum shook his head, “Hurry up and get home before Namjoon loses it, you know he can only handle Taehyung and Jimin for so long.”

 

“Oh trust me I know.”

 

When Jin was finally out the door Youngjae turned back to Jaebum, “I can’t sleep.”

 

“I noticed.” He picked the nine year old up once again, holding him close. Jaebum leaned down to give Mark a kiss on the forehead while he unhooked all the cords for the game then continued on upstairs.

 

“J-Jin didn’t…he didn’t,” Youngjae stuttered as Jaebum got him settled in bed.

 

Youngjae had never needed plushies or a nightlight like his brothers, never having been afraid of the things he saw on tv like ghosts and people that hid in corners. He was much more of afraid of real things like burglars and door to door salesmen.

 

“He forgot…” Youngjae continued to stammer.

 

Jaebum hummed to himself ducking underneath the bed, “Hm, looks like there’s no monsters under here.” He crawled even further under until all Youngjae could see where his legs peaking out.

 

He giggled, “My bed gonna eat you.”

 

“Eat me? Oh no, who’s gonna save me? Help, I’m being eaten alive!”

 

“I got you daddy.” Youngjae put all his strength into tugging on the back of the jacket Jaebum wore until slowly he began to reappear breathing heavily.

 

“Thank goodness you saved me Youngjae.”

 

“I won’t let bed eat you.” He said earnestly.

 

“And I won’t let the bed eat you either.” He pulled the blanket up so it was tucked underneath Yougjae’s chin.

 

Youngjae turned to lay on his side staring up at his dad with sleep clouded eyes, “Missed you,” he yawned, “…missed…missed my other dad.”

 

Jaebum smoothed his hair down, “You do have two dads huh?”

 

Now that Youngjae was sure he was monster free, the sleep he had been waiting for washed over him, “Mhm…daddy a-and…d…”

 

It was way past his bedtime.

 


  

“Dad?” Bambam stood at the doorway for the second night in a row with Yugyeom at his side and a chapter book clutched to his chest.

 

It was late and most of the house was sleeping but once Bambam saw the light spilling into the hallway from his dad’s room he knew he wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep if he didn’t get a chance to see him, bringing along one of Yugyeom’s favorite bedtime books as cover.

 

Jaebum was on one side of the bed typing with something playing low on the tv,  Jinyoung on the other breathing in a strange way like his chest was filling up slowly then letting it all out far too fast. Bambam could even see the sweat on his forehead, though the fan was blowing and Jaebum was wearing one of those big sweaters that said, “G.O.T University” on the front.

 

“Sleeping, can I take a message?” he looked over at the two of them with a little smile.

 

Yugyeom stumbled over climbing blindly up on to the bed, all Jaebum had to do was put a pillow under his head and he was fast asleep.

 

“Is he okay?” Bambam went to Jinyoung’s side touching his forehead like he’d seen Jinyoung himself do countless times when Bambam claimed he was sick, “It’s hot.”

 

“He’s got a tummy ache.”

 

“Oh…” Bambam looked between Jaebum and Yugyeom, “Somebody has to kiss it better.”

 

Jaebum closed his laptop leaning over to place it on the bedside table, along with his glasses when he took them off. “Kiss it better huh?”

 

Bambam nodded.

 

Jaebum went over to take a knee beside him so they were almost eye level, Jaebum still had a few inches on him so Bambam had to tilt his head back to look him in the eye, Jaebum held his hand out, palm upward so Bambam could see the silver band on his ring finger. “Why don’t we do it together?”

 

Bambam nodded vigorously, two kisses was always better than one. He took Jaebum’s hand, Jaebum’s palm closed completely around his so only the very tips of his fingers were visible.

 

While Jaebum simply leaned over to press his lips into the fabric of Jinyoung’s night shirt, Bambam had to stand on his toes to reach the same spot. When he deemed his work thoroughly completed he turned a beaming smile on Jaebum.

 

“Now he’ll get better…” Bambam counted quickly in his head, “three times faster right?”

 

Jaebum nodded with a smile of his own, “He sure will kid.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES:

Wonder what Jaebum did with those thirty minutes? (Winks with both eyes)

And I don’t know about anyone else but I always confused Darth for Dark Vader when I was a kid.

This was supposed to Markson vs. the maknaes but I got a little off track and by a little I mean a lot. I’m trying to switch up my chapter formula so this one ended up being on the shorter side so the next one will most likely be about twice this size because I have so many things to add I can’t giving you guys bread crumbs. 

If I ever write a sequel to this story it will probably be a BTS crossover and by if I ever I mean I already have but it’s set about ten years in the future and I don’t know whether it will be in the one shots or it’s own story but we’ll see how long it ends up being. 

I’m really high on motivation these days and low on ideas. I have the scenes written and things that happen but no order or an exact outline. So it’s been really frustrating to write recently but I’ll do my best for you guys. Thank you for your well wishes and generally being awesome people.

Let me know what you think of this chapter, I’m very open to your opinions or things you guys want to see so don’t be afraid to tell me a certain section doesn’t make sense or details that I missed because I write this story all by myself and I get lost sometimes so I really do appreciate the help!