You and Me

Blended

“Alright guys, we have something we want to tell you.”

 

Jinyoung gathered all five kids in his living room sitting them on the couch.

 

They had been running around the backyard blowing bubbles and terrorizing the neighbors dog with the mini vac Jinyoung thought he’d hidden from them months ago. But after lunch and a few popsicles they were all in need of a little break before going back for more.

 

Though the couch was meant for three people they made it work with Bambam sat on Jackson’s lap on one end and Yugyeom sat on Mark’s on the other, Youngjae inbetween them getting popsicle juice all over his pants.

 

Jaebum came in with a roll of paper towels patting Youngjae down. Though he was left with a giant red stain on his thigh at least he wouldn’t be whining later about how sticky he was. Jaebum gave Mark one as well just in case, even though his popsicle was nearly finished. And Yugyeom just because if didn’t get one they’d have to deal with a temper tantrum.

 

And they really couldn’t handle that before the real storm settled over them.

 

When Jaebum sat next to him on the ottoman, Jinyoung thought he would’ve calmed down but seeing all the faces looking over at him, waiting for the reason they were being withheld from their playdate (or chill time as Jackson was beginning to call it) had his heartbeat rising dangerously high in his chest.

 

Jinyoung didn’t know why he was so nervous, he’d never felt the telltale butterflies in his stomach or constriction in his throat before. Not since middle school when he started performing full time and got desensitized to audiences.

 

His last play, featured an audience of almost five thousand and Jinyoung didn’t break a sweat. But sitting infront of five kids with his boyfriend was like standing before a judge awaiting sentencing, and Jinyoung hoped they would all have mercy.

 

“Is it a guessing game?” Yugyeom asked, bouncing. He gripped the paper towel in his hands so tight his finger nails started to tear little holes through it.

 

Jinyoung made a note to clip them later. “Nope.”

 

“Remember what I told you guys about last night?” Jaebum said with a smile.

 

Jinyoung looked over at him wide eyed, You didn’t tell them yet did you?

 

Jaebum gave him a pat on the knee, Of course not.

 

Youngjae having finished his popsicle began on the wooden stick, somehow he wasn’t content with just getting the juice on his brand new pants but he’d also gotten it on his cheeks turning them a rosy color that made Jinyoung want to squeeze them more than ever.

 

“You said Mr.Park had a surprise for us. ”

 

Bambam and Jackson looked at Jinyoung, clearly confused.

 

Jinyoung spoke up before they could start with the theatrics, “I didn’t tell you guys about it, because you’d keep bugging me to tell you before the other boys.”

 

“We would not.” Jackson defended.

 

“Yeah, they always get to know everything first anyway.” Bambam said with a pout.

 

Jinyoung reached over to tuck his distended lip back into place, “I’m sorry, it’s just Jb has a problem keeping secrets.”

 

Jaebum rubbed the back of his neck, “Do I?”

 

Jinyoung rolled his eyes.

 

Jaebum was absolutely horrible at keeping secrets. If it wasn’t for him trying to squeeze in an extra few seconds at the door when they went out on date night a few weeks ago Bambam wouldn’t still be asking him what kissing was.

 

Luckily the seven year old was easily put off with a lollipop or a tv show but Jackson just kept asking why Jinyoung was making out with his boss prompting Bambam to ask what making out was and leaving Jinyoung to buy them both new games for their playstation out of guilt.

 

But Jinyoung also wouldn’t be the happiest he’d ever been in his life it wasn’t for Jaebum so he let the guy have a pass more often than not.

 

Yugyeom spoke up next, “We do not, you got to see my dad’s new play first.”

 

“Nuh-uh.” Bambam said.

 

“Nuh-huh.”

 

“Nuh-uh.”

 

“Boys.” Jaebum cautioned.

 

They both quieted immediately and Jinyoung wanted to plant a kiss on Jaebum’s cheek for his disciplinary skills. He was strictly against hitting children and his voice was enough to have Mark, Youngjae and Yugyeom immediately apologizing and listening to his advisory. Bambam and Jackson were still a hit or miss with Jackson sometimes ignoring him entirely. When they did listen Jinyoung was thankful he wouldn’t have to start doling out punishments.

 

Mark peaked out from behind Yugyeom’s shoulder to say quietly, “Dad I have a project I have to finish before school tomorrow.”

 

“This will only take a second okay?” Jaebum reassured him.

 

Something about how Jaebum could calm Mark in the same beat as he’d shut down a potential argument had Jinyoung more certain than ever that he was about to do the right thing.

 

He breathed in deeply and joined his hand with Jaebum’s, the gaps between his fingers accommodated Jinyoung’s perfectly and his warm palm was like a shot of dopamine.

 

“You ready?” Jaebum asked with a smile.

 

Jinyoung nodded, “Okay. You know how Jb and I have been spending a lot of time together?” he addressed Bambam and Jackson.

 

“For the play?” Bambam asked.

 

“Yes for the play, but also because I like to be around him.”

 

“Because you’re best friends?” Yugyeom had been fixated on the idea of best friendship for a while which baffled Jinyoung, but he shook his head nonetheless.

 

“We’re more than that kiddo.”

 

Jaebum looked over to him with a soft smile, “A lot more.”

 

Jinyoung felt his heart fluttering, “We’re dating…we have been for quite some time.”

 

The boys all nodded.

 

Jinyoung didn’t expect many surprises there, he’d introduced a few boyfriends to his own kids. More than he wished he’d let into their lives but they sat through a few dating announcements not to mention Jb had been around most of their lives off and on so they’d gotten accustomed to his presence. Jinyoung wasn’t sure what the deal was with Jaebum’s children but he thought they were used to the director dating a few of his actors here or there.

 

Either way Jinyoung was glad that part didn’t cause too much trouble.

 

“But there’s more,” he continued.

 

Jaebum took over then, “We’re not just dating…we’re engaged.”

 

Mark shifted farther back in the chair.

 

Jinyoung took in the four confused faces and decided to clarify, “That means what exactly Jaebum?”

 

“It means…we’re getting married.” He smiled pulling Jinyoung closer to him.

 

Jinyoung let himself get caught up in the words for a while. They’d been discussing it for months, telling a few of the other cast members so no one would be shocked when they came in one day with rings but that was nothing compared to the euphoria of telling your kids. When he looked over to the shockingly quiet group, Jinyoung felt his happiness dry up like a summer puddle.

 

Bambam detached himself from Jackson his whole body shaking as he spoke, “Does that mean…?”

 

“Yep,” Jaebum added, “I’m gonna be your new dad.”

 

And then,

 

All hell broke loose.


 

“You’re a liar. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.” Bambam said through the bathroom door.

 

Jinyoung sat at the top of the stairwell trying to remember they were just words and Bambam didn’t mean them. But while Bambam had locked himself in the bathroom only an hour ago after crying for an even longer amount of time. Jackson had been in the basement playing his music so loud the floor was thumping and hadn’t said a word to Jinyoung at all.

 

“Bammie please, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”

 

“You lied to me. You lied to me and I hate you. I’ll hate you forever and ever and ever…”

 

He kept going, his voice shaking. Jinyoung wanted to bust down the door more than anything and take the boy in his arms and tell him he really was lying in regards to Jaebum. But he had to allow Bambam to let all his frustrations out even if they were hurtful, he did drop a bomb on the poor kid.

 

On the bright side though,

 

He’d probably sleep better.

 

“…until you die then I’ll keep hating you because you’re the biggest liar on planet earth.”

 

“I didn’t mean to lie to you Bambam I’m sorry.”

 

Suddenly the door swung open and there was the trembling figure curled up next to the cabinets, “You said…”

 

Jinyoung moved forward, testing whether or not Bambam would shut him out once again. When the door remained open he inched all the way in until he was wedged in the frame. “I know what I said.”

 

“But…but you lied. You made a promise and you broke it dad.”

 

“How many times do you want me to say sorry Bambam? I know I should have told you sooner but I didn’t break my promise and I didn’t lie.”

 

“Then why are you getting married?”

 

“Because...because it’s hard to explain but I love Jb…a lot. I thought you’d be happy for me Bammie.”

 

Bambam shook his head, “I am. Jb buys us toys, and good food, and when he baby sits he lets us stay up late…”

 

Jinyoung wasn’t surprised, Jackson and Bambam were both zombified the day after Jaebum babysat. Jaebum said it was because they had so much fun but Jinyoung knew his boys like the back of his hand.

 

He was however confused, if Bambam was happy and he liked Jb why was he still so upset? Jinyoung asked him as much, hoping the question wasn’t too hard for Bambam to answer. Then he’d get frustrated and slam the door all over again.

 

“You broke your promise. You say all the time we’re men so we have to stick to our word but you didn’t.”

 

Jinyoung didn’t know how to make Bambam understand so he judged by the way his eyes kept drooping and the lack of bite to his words that he was nearing the end of his energy supply and Jinyoung bundled his son up in his arms, “I’m sorry I made you so worked up sweetheart.”

 

Bambam sniffled tucking his face into Jinyoung’s neck, “I like Jb but he’s not-“

 

“I know Bam.” Jinyoung heard a creak on the stairs and saw Jackson not so slyly attempting to sneak away, “And where do you think you’re going?”

 

Jackson stood awkwardly on the landing, stuck between going up the stairs and back down them. But when Jinyoung opened one of his arms the eleven year old wasted no time cuddling into Jinyoung’s side and resting his head on Bambam’s shoulder.

 

“I like Jb too.”

 

“But?”

 

“No buts…I want you to be happy dad.”

 

Jinyoung struggled against Bambam’s arms around his neck but once he was able to, he looked at Jackson, the kid’s eyes trying so hard to shut. “I am happy buddy.”

 

With his arms full of the people he loved most in the world, so close he could feel their chests rise and fall with their breaths. His nose full of Bambam’s peach shampoo and Jackson’s hair gel, all he could see were twin heads full of dark hair. Jinyoung thought he really did mean those words.

 

Even if Bambam definitely poured all his vitamins in the toilet while Jinyoung left him alone in the bathroom the little fruit shaped gummies were all over the floor. Even though Jackson had been spraying that god awful cologne once again.

 

He was happy.

 

And Jinyoung was certain, that with the love of his life by his side there was no other way to go but up.

 

>>>

 

Jaebum was used to being outnumbered.

 

In middle school it was the kids that constantly made fun of his slanted eyes, in high school the girls that he found himself turning down for reasons he wouldn’t realize until much later and in college it was his roommates making it their mission every weekend to try and drag him away from his studies.

 

But all that had nothing on a screaming six year old.

 

“You’re my dad, why do I have to share?” Yugyeom screamed pounding the table with his fists.

 

Jaebum had thought Yugyeom would have calmed down by then, it was nearing his bed time and the poor kid had been screaming himself into a headache since two o’clock that afternoon. Jaebum had tried calming him down with those little pizza bites he liked but Yugyeom just shoved them to the floor and kept on yelling.

 

Before he could smack his cup of apple juice to floor Mark caught his fist and moved the cup safely out of arms reach, “I have to share everything, it’s not fair.”

 

“Dad what color is the front door?” Youngjae asked sorting through his crayons for a fitting shade to fill in his picture of what Jaebum assumed was their house, though he couldn’t recall when they’d gotten a driveway.

 

Jaebum handed him a brown crayon, “It’s looking good bud.”

 

“I’ll have to share my room and my toys and my dad.” Yugyeom whined.

 

If it was any other day Jaebum would have shushed Yugyeom immediately or had him sit in timeout for his tantrum, but he had every right to be upset. It wasn’t everyday he learned he’d be getting two new siblings, a new dad and a new house.

 

Jaebum had let it slip they’d all be moving in with Jinyoung on the drive home and the whole car had erupted into chaos. While Mark and Youngjae had calmed down, Youngjae probably forgot about the issue and once the shock wore off Mark was back to shutting Jaebum out leaving Yugyeom to yell and complain until his face turned a bright shade of red.

 

“You’re just so mean.” He slumped forward on the table dialing up the theatrics.

 

Jaebum found it more cute than anything but he decided to take Yugyeom seriously, “It’s not just you that has to share Gyeomie, Bambam and Jackson have to share too.”

 

“But I don’t want to.”

 

“We have to do things we don’t want to sometimes okay?”

 

Yugyeom just yelled kicking at his seat so hard the whole kitchen felt like it was rattling, “Not if it’s mine.”

 

Jaebum ran his hands down his face trying not to let out his frustrations. It wasn’t Yugyeom’s fault things were changing, it wasn’t his fault that Jaebum couldn’t stay single for more than five minutes and it most certainly wasn’t his fault that the man Jaebum fell for happened to have his own children Yugyeom would have to share Jaebum’s attention with.

 

“You share with Mark and Youngjae all the time how is this any different?”

 

Because.”

 

“Because what?”

 

“Because it is.” He huffed.

 

“Yugyeom, pick your head up off the table.”

 

Yugyeom did as he was told but his eyes were turning red as if the tears he’d been fighting all evening were ready to fall.

 

Jaebum had never known Yugyeom to be much of a crier, even as a baby he would simply look around in confusion or stare up at Jaebum with wide eyes like he was trying to figure out what was happening. If he was being driven to tears, the news must really have hit him hard.

 

Instead of pushing the issue any farther Jaebum decided to change the subject entirely, “How’s the project coming along Mark?”

 

“Fine.” He said avoiding eye contact, “May I be excused?”

 

“Can I be scused too?” Youngjae asked.

 

Jaebum nodded even though he needed some time to talk to the two of them before bed, there were only so many things he could handle at once.

 

Mark cleared the table pushing his chair in the way Jaebum taught him to so it wouldn’t scrape up the linoleum.

 

Youngjae gathered his crayons, holding his picture up for Jaebum to see, “Can you make a story?”

 

Jaebum gave him a kiss on the forehead, those chubby cheeks were so hard to deny sometimes but he still had work tomorrow and with the day being so tiring already, Jaebum doubted he could come up with anything satisfactory for Youngjae before bed time.

 

“Not tonight kid.”

 

“What about bath time?”

 

Jaebum shook his head once more, “I don’t think Gyeomie wants to have bath time today.”

 

As if to prove his point Yugyeom let out another scream-kick combo that would’ve sent dishes clattering to the floor if it wasn’t for Mark saving them.

 

“But…you check monsters right?”

 

Youngjae was still having problems with his speech and while Jaebum should have corrected him he found it so adorable he just had to give Youngjae another peck, “Of course, ask Markie pooh to help you get washed up okay?”

 

He nodded vigorously, his feet hitting the floor awkwardly as he ran up the stairs after his older brother.

 

Jaebum took a deep breath preparing himself to deal with hurricane Yugyeom.


 

 

Jaebum stood at Mark’s door an hour later, his fist poised for a knock.

 

Youngjae had fallen asleep easily, just a quick monster check and he was good to go, Yugyeom tired himself out from screaming and went to bed with a sore throat. Jaebum thought he would’ve been denied his goodnight kiss but when he turned to leave Yugyeom made a pouting sound and Jaebum couldn’t live with himself if he didn’t tickle it away.

 

After the giggles died down and Yugyeom was even more tired than before Jaebum stole a kiss to his nose, turning on his flower shaped nightlight. When he got to Mark’s room he expected his eldest to be asleep as well but the light leaking out from under his door told Jaebum that was not the case.

 

He kept raising his fist to knock but every time he got close he thought better of it and dropped his hand at his side. Jaebum shook his head turning on his heal when the hinges creaked and Mark poked his head out his long fringe hanging in his eyes.

 

Jaebum cleared his throat knowing he’d been caught, “Hey buddy what’re working on in there?”

 

Instead of answering Mark stepped aside and nodded toward his desk where his math textbook was spread out among a set of graphing paper and a large poster board.

 

Jaebum moved past him into the room where he saw the source of the light, the lava lamp one of Jaebum’s exes had gotten, Jaebum never knew why Mark was so fascinated with it. He’d come in sometimes and find him just staring at the colorful blobs floating around.

 

He sat at the end of the bed taking in the neatness of it all, everything had a proper place.

 

Shoes in the closet, heels out.

 

Backpack next to the desk.

 

Freshly washed clothes folded neatly on top of the dresser.

 

It was a stark contrast from Youngjae and Yugyeom’s room where Jaebum was constantly putting things back in order. He really had to count his blessings sometimes, if Jaebum had to field three sets of tantrums all the time he might have been bald already.

 

Mark sat in his desk chair twiddling his thumbs, “Uh dad?”

 

“Hm?” Jaebum ducked his head to find the pair of brown eyes he knew were hidden under the long hair.

 

“Is Mr.Park nice to you?”

 

“Of course he is kiddo.”

 

Mark shook his head, “No…is he nice to you?”

 

“Yes he’s very nice to me, he’s nice to you too isn’t he?” Jaebum wasn’t sure where the line of questioning was coming from but he’d take any opportunity he could to get a glimpse into how Mark was feeling about the whole thing.

 

“Yeah…”

 

“But?”

 

He in a breath then let it out along with a flurry of other words, “What if he’s only nice now because you’re working on the play together then when it’s over he’ll be mean like Mr.Holiday.”

 

“Well…” Jaebum squirmed, leave it to Mark to ask the hard questions.

 

“Does Mr.Park hurt you too?”

 

Jaebum wasted no time shaking his head, “Absolutely not Mr.Park has been very nice to me so far.”

 

“But not when the play is over?”

 

“I can’t tell you what will happen when the play is finished, but I can tell you Jinyoung has been nothing but kind to me and to us and he’s just…” Jaebum nodded to himself, “he’s just what I think I need right now…what we need.”

 

“Okay, but-“

 

“Mark look at me.” When he refused Jaebum took the wobbling chin his hands tilting it up to catch Mark’s eye, “Jinyoung is a good man. I would never have let you meet him if I didn’t think so. I know I made some mistakes in the past and I can’t promise you anything but he won’t hurt me, I won’t let him.”

 

“But what if he does?”

 

Jaebum shook his head, “Then we’ll beat him up. You, me, Yugyeom and Youngjae he won’t stand a chance.”

 

Mark shook out of his hold appearing unconvinced. He went back to his desk and Jaebum knew he was being shut out once again.

 

He didn’t know if it was the beginning of the terrible teens and Mark was about to start locking his door and hating him or if it wasn’t a sign of anything at all and Mark was just being Mark. He’d never been one to let out his emotions so easily.

 

Jaebum leaned down to give him a kiss on the forehead, “Don’t stay up too late we have somewhere to be tomorrow. Goodnight.”

 

Mark mumbled a goodnight in response.

 

Jaebum watched him a little longer before shutting the door.