Reason

Other Way Around
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Italics are thoughts of a person. And I know I haven't said much about the story so when something upsets you, please do stop reading. ^^

 

 

It’s just a weird feeling – jealousy. Unentitled jealousy is eating me up. There is a huge chunk of weight pressing on my chest and a ball of ice making my stomach upset. I was supposed to be the one who knows my best friend best. Having heard of something in public rather than straight from makes me upset. Anyone would if such a thing happened to them. However, that is not why jealousy sprung up from the pits of my being. It’s because she has introduced her boyfriend to her group of friends before she could even introduce me – when she should be introducing me. It’s pathetic.

 

There is a dialogue window that is appearing in my head just like what happens in a simulation game. It’s asking me whether to confront her about it, ignore it, or act happy by supporting her. And like any person forced to choose among the limited options they could think at the moment, I choose the worst option. So, I confront her about it.

 

“Unnie, hi. What’s up?”

 

“Hi, Byul. Nothing’s up.”

 

“You should know how bad you are at lying. Tell me what’s wrong.”

 

“You’ve told me countless of times.”

 

“And yet you still do it. Also, you at changing the topic.”

 

Yongsun chuckles. “I really can’t get anything past you. You know me too well.”

 

“And complimenting me won’t make me forget about it too.”

 

Yongsun laughs out loud. “I know but there’s no harm in trying.”

 

“There is. Now, I’m too curious as to what’s bothering you so bad that you try to hide it from me when you know you can’t.” Byul grins charmingly at Yongsun but it soon turned into a frown when she sees the older woman staring into space, conflicted.

 

Yongsun is never conflicted when she’s with Byul. She has hurt and made Byul so mad by being straightforward. She doesn’t hold back and says what she wants the moment something pops into her mind. Yongsun may be as careful as she can with the younger members but not with Byul. So a conflicted Yongsun is something that Byul has never seen, until today.

 

Byul looks worriedly at Yongsun. She places her hand on Yongsun’s lower back and rubs it gently. She whispers, “Unnie, you know you can tell me anything.”

 

“I know. I always do.”

 

“Then you know how worried I am that you don’t know how to tell me what’s wrong now.”

 

“I know that too. It’s just that it’s too immature, petty and all things that should not even bother me, you or anyone really.”

 

“Then there would be no problem just saying it out loud. I won’t look at you differently.”

 

That’s what you think, Yongsun thinks. Besides, I want to change the way you look at me. So you being understanding like this is not helping me at all. She smiles bitterly. “It’s fine if you do.”

 

“If it’s alright either way, then tell me.”

 

“You were upset. You were even close to tears. It pained me seeing you like that. You got angry and I got angry as well just because you did.” She laughs at the absurdity of it.

 

“I-I’m sorry, unnie. I don’t get it. When was this?”

 

Byul scratches her chin and the back of her head after. Anyone can see that she has absolutely no idea what Yongsun was talking about. Yongsun was glad Byul could be so easy about it. It breaks her heart but she can’t even remember it now. But I remember it all, every tear, sob and finger of hers clutching on to my shirt for one broken promise.

 

“He promised you he would go to that dinner. He promised to come to the next one though – because his schedule changed all of a sudden.”

 

Byul’s eyes widen at the realization of what Yongsun was talking about. Her heart beats fast at the memory of her crying her eyes out and how Yongsun still remembers it. She blushes, embarrassed at how she acted when it was just a dinner. She was supposed to be more mature than that but she’s spoiled, everyone knows that. It was a moment of weakness, something that only comes out when it concerns him.

 

“Oh, that.”

 

“Yeah, that.” Yongsun smiles a little at Byul to ease her feelings when her own were going haywire.

 

“What about it?”

 

“He was able to come after all?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter