Seven

Between the Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoongi threw himself into physio therapy like a diver leaping into the vast ocean. He borrowed Namjoon's books and read them day and night, and did research about different subjects, degrees and colleges. This year, he was determined to get into college. He was determined to choose something, to do something and move forward.

In addition to having no idea what he wanted to study, there was another obstacle: his grades. His last few years of high school, he had scored abysmal grades, and as he looked at different colleges, he ticked them off the shrinking list of possibilities as he did not meet the requirements.

Why had he not studied more? Why had he squandered time like that, without a care for the future? Yoongi added it to his growing list of regrets.

What with all the physio and retraining his muscles, and reading and worrying over college, Yoongi was so tired at night that he didn't have time to think anymore - which had been his intention all along. He didn't look at his journal anymore, but he still wore the key of the music box on a necklace. He still wound the music box every night, and forced his thoughts to say, "Thank you, Suran, I don't have nightmares anymore."

Sometimes, if he was not busy enough, he was overcome with an almost unbearable sadness. He didn't talk about Suran anymore, and he knew that his mother and Hoseok were relieved. They didn't talk about her either, and at Yoongi's last doctor's appointment, Mrs Min had gone on and on about how fast he was recovering now and there was so much progress.

Yoongi could walk now, with a very slight limp which was barely noticeable, and now that he was able to move around on his own and change positions easily, his shoulders and back were feeling better too - he found that a short walk and then stretching lightly eased the tension in his muscles, and he didn't need the moist heat or his mother's massages - he massaged himself, using a ball the size of his balled fist.

"When your shoulders and back hurt," his physio said. "Take a lacrosse ball and lean against the wall, pushing your weight against the ball and rolling it up and down over the painful area. This really relaxes the muscles - your muscles are too tight, they are always contracted, which causes a lot of pain. You need to release them regularly and not let them contract too much."

Hoseok nearly cried when Yoongi made him do it. "OHMYGOD LET ME GO!!!"

"Whoa, your rhomboid is so tight," Yoongi said, amazed.

"What the is that and let me go!"

"It's the name of that muscle, idiot!"

Hoseok threw the ball on the bed. "Damn, I had no idea you know things like that."

"Well with doctors talking about stuff like that for so long, it's obvious I'd know, you ."

Everything was going forward now, including his relationship with Namjoon.

Yoongi was making ramen late at night, and was startled when he noticed Namjoon standing in the doorway. "You're awake?"

"Yeah... I was studying," Namjoon said. "What about you?"

"Ah, my sleep schedule is all over the place," answered Yoongi. After a moment's hesitation, he asked, "Do you want noodles?"

"Yeah, I'll make some and-"

Yoongi just added water in the almost-boiling pan and got out another packet. "Sit, I've got this."

Namjoon's eyes widened - Yoongi was suddenly horrible conscious of the fact that he had never even made noodles like this for his little brother, even if he had been making some for himself he would tell Namjoon to make his own.

"Sorry," Yoongi said gruffly, unable to look Namjoon in the eyes. "About... you know, everything."

"I'm sorry too..." Namjoon mumbled. "You know... I don't know but I think I could have been a better brother to you."

"No, you were a good one, it's me who should have been better..." Yoongi added the noodles to the boiling water.

"But I should have reached out to you more-"

"Yeah but all I did was lash out at you and-"

"That still shouldn't have stopped me."

For a second, they glared at each other, each one convinced that they should have done better. But they suddenly laughed, and Yoongi brought the now-ready noodles to the table. Conversation was slow and careful, like two dancers carefully circling each other and mirroring each others' movements.

They ate a late meal or snack every night after that. It was just them - no Mr or Mrs Min to make things awkward. They began to build a bridge for that distance between them, brick by brick, at their own pace, learning things about each other and catching up on those years. Yoongi began to ask questions about Namjoon's extra-curicular activities, his interests, his opinions, and his little brother in turn asked his.

However, one night, Namjoon said he was heading out. Yoongi decided to go to bed early since he had nothing to do - he hadn't realized it before, but late night meals with Namjoon had become a sort of highlight of the day.

He was out like a light, but since he had slept so early, he woke in the middle of the night. Out of habit, he reached for the key placed on his bedside table since it pressed into his chest if he wore the necklace at night, but his hands didn't find them.

Yoongi switched on the light, and saw that there was nothing on his bedside table, other than the music box. The key was missing. Noticing a quickly rising feeling of panic, he frantically searched the room but to his horror, he didn't find the key.

What he did find though, was a piece of paper under the music box, folded in half.

Dear Yoongi,
I miss you so much. It's been too long that we haven't met. I tried reaching you for months but I couldn't; I lost my phone somewhere in the airport, and I heard yours got destroyed. What a pair we are, huh? My father took me to where he lives now, China, for me to recover. There was a train accident, Yoongi, and I got hurt. I heard that you got into an accident that night too, but you've recovered a lot. I'm glad you're recovering. I am, too.
We have so much to talk about, I have so much to say to you and I know you have so much to say to me, too. But only if you want to see me, though. Do you? I'll come again tomorrow morning, and I hope you'll see me.
Love, Suran

Yoongi's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter