Three

Between the Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We were dating back then. Haneul and I. It was during one of our last dates together that I met her.

 

Hanuel... I still feel guilty whenever I think about her, even though I knew it would happen sooner or later. Falling in love is hard. Falling out of love is even harder, especially if both have fallen out of love but are too scared to admit it. Back then... I don't even know why, but it was strange. We waited for the other to call the relationship quits, but neither of us had the courage to do it for some reason.

 

Anyway. Haneul and I were eating at the restaurant she loved, the one where she orders the spaghetti every time and I just eat bread because I hated the sauce and was too scared to try any of the dishes – I convinced myself I wouldn't like them, and let's be honest, I can count the foods I like and can stomach on my fingers.

 

Haneul and I mostly ate in silence, sometimes making a comment here and there. But honestly we both just wanted the meal to end and leave. I still don't know why we even went there. I'm glad we did, though, because it was there that I met her.

 

The only thing I loved about that restaurant is how they always had live music. Tonight they had a pianist, and from where I was sitting, I could watch her play. She looked so blissful as her fingers danced across the keys, it was as enjoyable to watch her as it was to listen to her. It took me back to when I was a little kid, and watched my sister play the piano.

 

"Can I try?" I used to beg, and finally one day she let me sit beside her and placed her hands over mine, on the keys. And Yoona pressed my fingers on one key and I can still remember the thrill of hearing a sound come out, of making a sound come out from my hands. She guided my hands, and that was how I learned to play – by sitting with my big sister and letting her guide my fingers.

 

As usual, the thought of Yoona made my throat constrict, so I focused on watching the pianist. There was something about her that I was drawn to, I don't know what or why. But next week, I asked Haneul if she wanted to go for dinner at the restaurant. We went there for three weeks, and every time, they had that same pianist. On the fourth week, I went alone. Haneul didn't want to come, and I think we were finally really drifting away. Looking back on it now, I think, if we had talked about it or had even tried to make an effort, we would still be together. I'm glad we're not, though.

 

I stayed at that restaurant for a ridiculously long time, eating bread and ordering pot after pot of milky tea and I thought my stomach would burst. When I saw her stand, and leave, I hurriedly followed her. Don't ask me why, like I said, I was drawn to her and wanted to see if I would be able to talk to her.

 

"Good show tonight, Miss!" one of the waiters said.

 

"Thank you," she said. Even her voice was melodic.

 

"Ah, you have a fan," the waiter said, looking at me and sticking his chin out to indicate to her I was behind her.

 

"Really?" she turned around and my heart thumped like an insane bunny, I was so shy but so excited at the same time. "Hello, where is your girlfriend tonight?"

I thought I would die right then and there from embarrassment. Was I so obvious? She had actually noticed me! And Haneul...

"I... I..." I stuttered, feeling my face flush.

 

She laughed. "I never had anyone watch me that intensely before."

"You play really well," I blurted out, wanting to make clear I was admiring her music and wasn't staring at her for other reasons.

 

"Thank you," she said, and laughed a bit. "Where's your girlfriend?" she asked again.

"She's not my girlfriend." It came out so easily, because in a way, it was true. Haneul and I were not dating anymore, but we hadn't ended it officially either. We were stuck in the middle.

 

She had to leave after that, but every night I came around this time to see her get off work. The first time, I acted like it was a big coincidence, and we had instant noodles in the nearby convenience store. We met there several times a week, and every time our conversation became easier and easier. Kinda funny that we introduced ourselves so late, though. I wanted to ask her name but was too shy. So I waited until she asked me, and she laughed about how she enjoyed taling to me so much that she forgot to ask my name.

Anyway. Her name

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter