Five

Between the Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was another Sunday morning, the entire Min family gathered around the table. Yoongi carefully separated the tiny bits of scrambled egg that got on his bacon – trying his best not to eat the egg, whose texture and taste made him gag, and not attracting the attention of his father who would turn the rest of the meal into a lecture about Why Yoongi is Bad and Ungrateful and Did He Know That Children Are Dying of Starvation in War-torn Countries?

Yoongi never understood the logic behind that last one. It was just trying to get him to feel guilty... why shoudl he feel guilty? Whether he ate it or not, it was not going to war-torn countries to feed children. Why should he need to gag and feel sick afterwards because of that guilt?

Yoona had told him not to listen to that kind of thing and she knew that Yoongi honestly did feel sick afterwards because of some foods. She told him that maybe his tastebuds are oversensitive, and that those described as picky eaters usually have oversensitive tastebuds and it wasn't his fault.

 

So Yoongi didn't fall for it anymore, and he rarely ate anything that made him gag. Yoona would be so proud of him for not getting guilt tripped....

 

"-I'm so glad you're doing that!" Mr Min's voice cut through his thoughts, making Yoongi shake himself back to reality.

 

Across the table, Namjoon smiled at him, almost apologetically. Yoongi did not smile back.

 

"That's wonderful!" Mrs Min chimed in.

 

What was wonderful? What was the great and mighty Namjoon doing now? Everything he did was wonderful...

 

"When you get the lisence, I'll buy you a car!" Mr Min swore, pride flickering in his eyes. Yoongi couldn't remember ever being the reason behind that flicker...

 

Realization hit him. Namjoon was going to get a driver's lisence. Yoongi felt his heartbeat quicken, his hold on his spoon tightening.

 

"I can take you all out on a road trip!" Namjoon exclaimed, his face bright.

 

"It's about time my son drove me around!" Mr Min laughed, but when he looked at Yoongi it died. "Isn't it about time you get one, too?"

Yoongi felt his throat tighten.

 

"What are you going to do when you need to travel, eh? Being able to drive makes life a hell of a lot easier."

Yoongi didn't know what to say. His father knew why he couldn't even touch a steering wheel anymore... he knew it, but why did he say all this as if he had no idea?

 

"I'll think about it," he muttered, staring down at his cold breakfast.

 

His father snorted. "Like you're thinking about your college course? Like you're thinking about what job to get? That's an awful lot of thinking...why don't you eat your eggs so you have energy for all that?"

 

"Honey-" Mrs Min tried to say.

 

"Just look at him!" Mr Min glared. "Look at how short and weak he grew up to be! It's all because you raised a brat who can't stand anything other than bread on his precious tongue!"

"That's enough," Mrs Min said, cuttingly. "Yoongi, are you done, dear?"

"Yes, thank you," he mumbled, and grabbed his crutches, not looking at his father.

 

When he was in the hall, he turned around, realizing he was being followed. "What?"

"He's grieving, you know..." Namjoon said softly. "Dad is, I mean..."

Yoongi stared at him. "Aren't you grieving? And Mom? Aren't I?"

"I didn't mean it like-"

"He was always like this to me," said Yoongi. "Did you only notice now? While you were off winning debates and-"

"We all have different ways to deal with grief, and that's his," Namjoon said quickly. "I know it's not an excuse and I know he's always been hard on you... but sometimes, when you feel terrible, you lash out. You know that." The two brothers' eyes locked. "You and Dad are almost the same in that way."

Yoongi threw his younger brother a filthy look before turning his back and hobblin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter