Chapter 3

One Day

 

True to her words. Chaeyoung plotted ways for Mina’s life to be a living nightmare. She was so determined in executing her plans that she’s willing to ask for Tzuyu’s help again since she learned that they were well-acquainted. The blonde nsisted on Tzuyu to meet her at their favorite eating place and the taller friend agreed, promises of free food were implied.

 

Chaeyoung waited on their usual spot at the far corner for a few minutes when she spotted Tzuyu arriving. Eyes meeting, the shorter woman raised her hand inviting her friend over. Tzuyu towered over her once she reached the table, inquisitive eyes boring into her.

 

“What do you want, Son Chaeyoung?” The taller one rhetorically asked. Already having a hunch about her intention. “This better be important.” She added. At the same time, Chaeyoung’s order of food arrived saving her from Tzuyu’s uncomfortable look. She encouraged her friend to eat first before stating her true purpose of this meeting. Tzuyu shrugged and gobbled on the kimbab and soy bean stew in front of her being it her first meal of the day despite the darkened hour. Those scholastic competition is getting near, so every minute is precious.

 

The tall girl was blissfully enjoying her dinner when Chaeyoung spoke, “ So you and Mina know each other, huh?”

 

With the mention of the older girl’s name, Tzuyu put down her spoon and bored into Chaeyoung again. “What’s it to you, Chaeng?” She challenged. Not liking where this conversation is heading because Tzuyu may have helped Chaeyoung with her enemies in the past, but this is where she decides to draw the line. She likes Mina because she’s complex. She’s composed yet relentless, calm yet firm and she has ground. Tzuyu admires her and treats her like the big sister she never had.

 

“Oh you know... Our routine when we’re out to get someone. Her information, where-abouts and background.” Chaeyoung ominously uttered, expecting her partner in crime to help her like she always does. But Chaeyoung never expected her friend’s response.

 

“No Chaeyoung. Count me out. I like Mina-unnie. She’s nice.” Tzuyu answered with fervor. She has had enough of Chaeyoung’s immaturity and doesn’t want to get involved in her messy afflictions.

 

“She’s nice? Are you kidding me? Aren’t I your bestfriend?” Chaeyoung was flabbergasted.

 

“You’re clearly blinded by your hurt ego, Chaeng. Mina-unnie is wonderful if you get to know her.” The taller calmly said. She doesn’t want things to escalate since it is true that they are the best of friends. Also, in the hopes of stopping her friend from starting her lunacy.

 

“Fine. I will get her even without your help, you giant.” Chaeyoung said angrily. She gathered her things and stomped her way out of the restaurant leaving her taller friend to sigh in defeat at her failed attempt to stop this impending fiasco.

 

 

*

 

Mina is the new girl. They recently moved from Japan to start anew. Just Mina and her mother. Thankfully, she found a university which offered a scholarship due to her astounding GPA, the same one she had in Japan. It lessened their expenses which also exponentially, lessened her mother’s burden.

 

Their opportunity came when her mother was offered to be a cook in a small chain of Japanese restaurant in South Korea called Niko Niko Ni. Her mother ran a small food stand in Hyogo barely managing to stay afloat when a businessman ate in her food stand. Being a native, her cooking was authentic and true to the cuisine hence the proposition. The restaurant also composes of natives to provide the original experience. And although the pay was minimum, it was stable and comes with benefits compared to always struggling to make ends meet.

 

The both of them decided to pack up and take their chances in a different land. The language and culture was the toughest part but Mina being an avid fan of Korean culture and music, served it’s purpose. She silently thanked the heavens for her interest in the language hence her eagerness to learn it in middle school. Her mom’s still doing her best to adjust.

 

*

 

It was the weekend. So Mina was headed out to her part-time job wearing her oversized hoodie and pants. The weather was starting to get a bit chilly and she can’t afford to be sick. She works as a server in a club, opting out the place when she told her mother to stop her from worrying. The DTNA club was the only establishment who hires people with no experience. The job was decent and so is the salary so she went for it.

 

Friday was the craziest day of the week. Huge amount of people lets out their steam and stress without worrying about the consequences the day after. The bar was packed. The music was blaring from all corners of the confine. A line was forming at the entrance when Mina arrived.

 

“Good evening, Wonho-ssi.” She greeted the bouncer at the door before her let her in. The black-haired girl went to her locker and changed into her uniform. The skirt was a little too short for her liking but at least the vest protected her chest from the customers. She tied her long hair in a bun and started her to work.

 

She had been working for a few hours, serving people left and right. The tiredness was evident in her face so she decides to rest for a bit at the bar, sitting at the available stool to take a breather. Her eyes momentarily closed when the club went quiet and the DJ welcomed a new-comer who also happens to be a popular regular. “Yo everybody! Look who stopped by! The Casanova herself, Chaeng Chaeng Chaeng!” The crowd went wild at the mention of the name. Mina being aware of the who the person is, looked at the direction of the beam of light. And there she is, with her blonde slicked-back hairstyle clad in a perfectly-fitted suite. Basking in the cheers of the people she probably doesn’t know.

 

“Oh my God. She’s the regular the owner has been talking about?!” Mina heaved under her breath. The club always welcomed Chaeyoung when she stops by but she really did not pay attention since Mina had no idea who she is. But now, things might change due to their current situation. “Ugh! Can this job get any worse?”

 

Mina was preoccupied with her thoughts that she didn’t notice the blonde order her drink at the bar. “Two vodkas, make it dry.” The raspy voice brought Mina back from her trance. She looked at the source of the voice and met eyes with the most self-absorbed person she had met.

 

“Well, well. Hello there, Mina.” Chaeyoung smirked upon laying eyes on the other girl, tone laced with mischief, scanning her the server’s skimpy outfit while Mina can only roll her eyes.

 

“What do you want, Chaeyoung-ssi?” Mina groaned at the remark. They barely know each other yet the blonde keeps on addressing her casually.

 

“Is that a way to talk to your customer?” Sipping her drink, Chaeyoung sat on the stool next to her, elbows resting at the counter top. She was looking at dance floor cockily, drink in hand. The sight almost made Mina vomit but she kept it in.

 

“Whatever.” Mina dismissed. She was about to leave and start delivering drinks again when Chaeyoung grabbed her arm. “What the hell!” She shouted at the blonde, glaring at her.

 

“Hey, Jooheon! Tell your manager, Shownu, I want Mina to serve my VIP table tonight.” She shouted at the bartender, not losing the intense staring contest. A hundred dollar bill made its way across the table, making its way on the bartender’s hand. He saluted, indicating the approval

 

“See that VIP table over there? Bring 3 bottles of Tequila Ley.” It was the last words Chaeyoung said before she went on her table, passing Mina breezily. Once the blonde was out of sight, Mina complained to the bartender.

 

“What was that, Jooheon-ssi? Is that allowed?” She asked, disbelievingly being instructed by that arrogant shorty whom she can’t stand.

 

“You’re new here, Mina. Chaeyoung is our highly-valued regular. We have to grant her request or the boss will scold us.” Jooheon explained while shaking an order of margarita. “You better do what she asks or you could lose your job.” He added. It was his way of warning Mina to not get on the blonde’s bad side despite it being too late.

 

Mina just sighed as a sign of surrender. She asked for the bottles and balanced it in her serving tray. Squeezing through the people, she reached the VIP table full of people. The blonde’s arms already occupied as she caressed the shoulder of two women on each side. It was an unpleasant sight. Very very unsightly.

 

After setting the bottles and shot glasses on the table, Mina was about to leave when an annoying voice said, “Serve it to us, Mina. Isn’t that your role?” The condescending tone was obvious but she swallowed the bitter pill. An exhale escaped her lips before turning around and filling the glasses with the strong amber liquid. The whole table raised their glasses and downed the liquor. Mina can only stare on the sides at the absurd behavior of these privileged youngsters wasting money just to have fun. Her idea of fun was reading a book or watching a movie in the four walls of their small apartment and she’s rather do that right now if not for the need of money.

 

“Another!” The blonde shouted, bringing Mina back from her fantasy, and kept on ordering another after another until the bottles were empty. Everyone in the table was heavily intoxicated, thick in the air as most people can’t keep their hands to themselves. Except for the bothersome petite woman who still seems to be sober.

 

“Disgusting.” The server whispered under her breath.

 

“Hey, you! Get me a glass of double scotch!” Chaeyoung shouted pointing her fingers at Mina who was standing at the side of their table. Mina can’t do anything but to oblige.

 

After a few moments, the black-haired girl returned with the drink. She put it down in front of the blonde’s and retired back to the sides. “What is this Mina?” Chaeyoung challenged, examining the liquid closely.

 

“Your double scotch…” Mina answered confidently, muttering a final word inaudibly. “.” That felt good to say, Mina thought.

 

“I ordered a sunset rum.” Chaeyoung slid the glass back, signaling for Mina to take it back, spilling some of its content on the table.

 

“You ordered a double scotch!” She defended but took back the glass still, wiping the spill furiously.

 

“Well I want the rum now!” The blonde rebutted, clearly annoying the server on purpose and then returning to the woman she’s been wooing all night long.

 

“Fine!” Mina exclaimed unable to control the annoyance as she went back to the bartender and get the damned drink. She kept on mumbling the reasons why she needs to stay calm on her way back to compose herself because the blonde is surely testing her tonight. Upon arriving, she set the glass in front of Chaeyoung with a thud.

 

“Woah. Down girl.” Chaeyoung teased still not holding the glass. “I changed my mind. Get me the scotch.” Oh how Mina wishes she can slap the sinister smirk that formed on those plump lips once she-devil delivered those words. Mina had no choice but to take it back once again and get the previous liquor. She looked at her watch while waiting and it was midnight. She sighed in relief at the end of her shift.

 

She went back at the VIP table and dropped the alcohol one last time before officially ending her shift. “Here you go. Any other request?” The rhetorical question slipped out of sweeter than she intended although she’s not interested in one bit about the answer.

 

“Oh yeah… We wan…” Chaeyoung was about to order another drink when Mina cut her off with a raise of her hand. “Oooh… tough luck. My shift just ended. Go get your own drink.” It was Mina’s turn to sneer and it felt exhilarating. She left the table for the locker and showered before changing into her normal clothes.

 

Mina decided to take a longer walk home to collect herself. It was a long draining shift and she’s glad she survived without snapping at a certain cocky blonde. She was enjoying her stroll, admiring the silence the night offers that she didn’t notice her near proximity on a deep puddle.

 

A white roaring car was approaching the water the same time as Mina’s and in an instant, it sprayed Mina’s whole body with the frosty liquid. She screamed for the car to stop so she can give the driver her thoughts when a voice shouted through the car window, “How does it feel to be drenched huh? Not a pleasant feeling, isn’t it?” A collection of laughter was heard until the car disappeared from her sight and that’s when she realized who it belonged to.

 

Upon the realization, her face turned into crimson and retorted into the blackness, “This is not over, Son Chaeyoung!”. With only the dripping water as her witness, Mina will make sure the next time she sees the blonde, the last laugh would be hers.

 

==============================================

YEY! Let's make MiChaeng fight! Kidding. Stay safe everyone!!