Chapter 2

One Day

School was dreary. Chaeyoung drifted off to most of her lessons of the day and the only thing she looks forward to was practice. She feels at home in the field, at peace. So when the bell rang indicating the end of the day, no one sprinted out faster than she could, arriving first in the field.

 

“At last, fresh air!” She exhaled at the center of the vast ground. Letting the ray of golds hit her face and sink in her skin.

 

“Oh stop with the drama. And let’s start with practice!” A whistle from her coach signaled the start of training. Her fellow teammates ran past Mr. Park and into the lockers to change into their uniforms. “Once you’re done changing, 50 laps across the field!” He added and a collection of groans were heard resonating on the lockers after the statement.

 

After hours of training, Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon routinely grabs dinner at their favorite kimchi and tteokbokki restaurant located one street from their university. Coincidentally, it also became their groups hang out and meeting place because of the delicious food and cozy atmosphere.

 

The duo arrived at the restaurant right after rush hour so the place was pretty much empty and quiet. They decided to sit on the far corner so they can eat in peace. “Coach Park is trying to kill us, I tell you!” The taller of the two exaggerated, tteokbokki sauce spraying everywhere as she attacks the bowl of red and white delicacy.

 

“Quit your whining, you ostrich. He’s just preparing us because of our competition next month.” The shorter defended, finding the earlier routine not as tedious as the taller makes it to be.

 

Because of the insult, Jeongyeon decided to toss Chaeyoung a piece of radish showing her rebuttal. The shorter snickered at the supposed older’s maturity. At the same time, her phone keeps on buzzing indicating someone calling her and by the way Chaeyoung’s eyes glinted, Jeongyeon assumed it’s probably one of her girls. She answered and a smile formed on her lips.

 

“Let me guess, you need to be somewhere right now?” Jeongyeon said unamused.

 

“Yeah, Somi asked if I wanted to see a movie with her. Can’t say no to that gorgeousness.” Chaeyoung said earning a disgusted look from her friend. “Plus she’s the captain of the cheerleading team. Do you know how flexible they can be?” She added with playfulness in her tone. Now besides the disgusted look, Jeongyeon almost spat her food because of her friend’s sleazy remark. Chaeyoung shrugged and left Jeongyeon after fixing her things in a haste. “Hey! Pay for your food!” was the last thing Chaeyoung heard as she sprinted towards the movie theater.

 

**************************

 

The movie was subpar. It was that predictable chick flick where boy and girl fell in love and lived their lives inside love’s foolish bubble. She would have dozed off if not for her date’s hand caressing her thighs to keep her conscious. If they were not in a movie theater, she would have done things to the girl not appropriate with an audience. Chaeyoung was silently praying for the film to end faster. It was such a waste of electricity, in her opinion.

 

After the gruesome 2 hours, the movie came to an end and Somi invited Chaeyoung to her dorm for a late night activity to end their meeting. And Chaeyoung being who she is, will never pass an invitation to bed a fine lady.

 

They were walking in the cold of the night, no space in between and giggling with whatever the other is saying. Approaching the corner street, Chaeyoung collided with someone causing the two to hit the pavement on their bum. The shorter dealing the worse hand when she landed on a puddle drenching her trousers.

 

“What tha hell!” The shorter exclaimed feeling the dampness on her pants, glaring at the other person for causing this ruckus.

 

“Oh no! My homework!” The other person exclaimed watching the papers get splattered on the ground.

 

“Watch where you’re going!” The shorter added.

 

“Hey! I’m not the one not looking at where they’re going! You’re practically eating that girl’s ear! Sheesh!” The black-haired stranger rebutted pointing at Somi standing there helping Chaeyoung to calm down. The stranger returning the glare through her thick glasses with the same intensity as she tries to salvage her ruined hard work.

 

“Let’s just go, Chaeng! Don’t waste your time with her! She’s no one.” Somi snickered, trying prevent her date from making mountains out of molehills, ready to leave this scenario behind and get back on their plan.

 

“Babe! Look at my pants! It’s drenched!” Chaeyoung howled, ready to give the stranger a piece of her mind.

 

“Then maybe next time, YOU watch your way to prevent this from happening kid.” The stranger challenged, purposefully hitting a nerve on the latter.

 

“Who do you think you are?!” She was about to argue more and reason that her height is average when Somi pulled her by the elbow to go on their opposite way. She let her date drag her until she saw the stranger grin at her as if amused at her surrender. “This isn’t over glasses!” She roared one last time before truly letting it go with a huff.

 

 

**************************

 

 

Chaeyoung thanked the Gods that lunch time came faster than she expected when her boring Business management professor caught the flu and had to rest with no substitute. The charmer decided to have her early lunch before piles of students fill the cafeteria.

 

The stroll to the cafeteria was nice. The corridor was near-empty. The weather was a bit chilly but with the golden rays warming her just right made her short walk delightful.

 

Upon arriving at the cafeteria, she saw her good friend Tzuyu whom she has not seen in a while due to her busy studying schedule. She decided on surprising her from behind to liven their meet. She was creeping carefully, not making any sound to execute her plan and lunge but Tzuyu’s senses had beaten her.

 

“Stop creeping, Chaeyoung. You look stupid.” Tzuyu uttered in line, surprising Chaeyoung instead.

 

“What? How did you know?” Chaeyoung whined, upset at her shattered plan.

 

“I can smell you from miles away. I told you to stop wearing that gaudy scent.”  Tzuyu explained, walking past her friend with a tray of food in hand. Chaeyoung followed beside the tall one curious at what she’s been up to. “Come on, Chaeng. You won’t understand even if I say it to you.”

 

“Wow, Tzu. You insult my perfume. Now you insult my brain. That’s cold my friend.” With a hand on her heart, the smaller of the two said albeit not taking her friend’s words seriously. That’s their relationship. They can bicker all they want but at the end of the day, the two knows they can count on each other. Bury secrets and bodies if needed as Tzuyu joked about an unhealthy amount of times.

 

They were laughing at some silly statement Tzuyu had made about Coach Park’s growing white hair when someone interrupted their delightful conversation.

 

“Hey Tzuyu, can I borrow your notes in Acids and Bases? My notes are a mess and I want to go over it tonight before proceeding to another topic.” That voice will never be forgotten by Chaeyoung. That voice that humiliated her and stomped on her ego. That voice which belonged to “glasses”.

 

The petite woman snapped her neck at the source of the voice and when she saw who it was, she was not mistaken. “YOU!” She called out jolting up. The woman with glasses seemed unbothered by the disrespectful tone, gazing momentarily at her, but then went back to her taller friend.

 

Tzuyu, unaware of the situation, was curious because of Chaeyoung’s sudden outburst. “You two know each other?” She inquired to her petite furious friend.

 

“Tzu, this girl was the one who made my pants wet!!” An exasperated grunt escaped Chaeyoung’s mouth but only received a weird stare from Tzuyu. After realizing how her sentence sounded, the petite woman mentally face-palmed herself.

 

“I mean she was the girl who bumped into me when Somi and I were on a date!” She rephrased, trying to get her annoyance across. And this time, she earned an understanding nod and a chuckle from Tzuyu remembering the time Chaeyoung called her in the middle of the night just to vent out her spoiled intimate activity with her date.

 

“Correction, you bumped into me. I had to redo my homework because of you.” The black-haired girl defended. Still not accepting the blame thrown at her. Because being Myoi Mina, she will not lose easily. Especially to someone who looks younger than the kids she had baby sat.

 

“Here Mina-unnie. This notebook contains the topic.” Tzuyu interrupted the heated glaring the two were exchanging. Mina reached for the notebook but Chaeyoung snatched the item before she could. The petite girl eyed the Mina up and down. Making sure she gets a good look at who she’s dealing with.

 

“Mina-huh? I’m guessing you’re new here so you have no idea who I am.” Chaeyoung challenged flipping the notebook’s page before facing Mina. “But a piece of advice, I run this school. You just messed with the wrong person.” She shoved the notebook at Mina’s chest, decreasing the distance between them, stares glued on each other. This time it was Chaeyoung’s turn to grin before bumping past Mina to go elsewhere.

 

Tzuyu watched the exchange in worry for her unnie. She had known Chaeyoung since childhood and she knows how childish and stubborn her friend could be. If she sets her mind on doing something, no one can stop her. She’ll get what she wants one way or the other and that’s what concerns her. With a tap on her older friend’s shoulder, she gave her a look of warning which the latter return with confusion. Tzuyu just hopes no one gets hurt… severely.