Chapter 1

One Day

At the ring of the bell, students can be seen going to their respective classes in the morning. All but one stubborn little bean who prefers to lounge at one of the shaded bench in the track. Earphones on, volume up.

 

Chaeyoung, with one arm as a pillow, hums to her favorite song. Not caring whether or not she gets caught cutting classes. Being cramped in a room with people she barely knows, with constant lectures she doesn’t really care about is not her cup of tea. She’d rather feel the rays of the sun embrace her skin, the breeze cradling her body in such serenity that she can’t explain.

 

“You know, if the principal catches you again, you’ll get more than suspension.” A faint voice can be heard amidst the loudness piercing her ears. A voice she’s all too familiar with.

 

Groaning and sighing, she took a sit looking at the intruder of her peace. “But coach Park, why do I have to learn such useless things?” The short-haired girl answered

 

“Come on, you being an ace in track doesn’t exempt you from being an idiot. Let’s go.” The tone of Coach Park’s voice is final and Chaeyoung can only sigh in defeat as she follows him to her first class.

 

First class was a drag. The professor kept on blabbering about some guy’s literary work which no one in this generation understands. It was boring and pointless. So when lunch time came, relief can be seen in her face. At least she gets to see her friends.

 

As she arrived at the cafeteria, it was already packed. Students were lining up to get mediocre meals to fill in their stomach to survive the day. Tables occupied with different cliques, from different classes and years. It was a jungle. And Chaeyoung is the king.

 

She walked in, hands in her pocket, messy hair that still perfectly envelopes her small face. Maybe it’s the aura she emanates or the flawless features her face possesses that captures everyone’s attention but Chaeyoung couldn’t even be bothered. She walked straight to her friend’s usual table at the far end corner of the cafeteria overlooking the garden. It was their spot. The perfect spot for the most popular kids.

 

“You look trashed, Chaeng.” She didn’t even get to sit first as one of her oldest friends mocked, taking a bite of her salad after.

 

“Yeah, Hello too, Nayeon unnie.”  Nayeon chuckled as Chaeyoung rolled her eyes. Clearly in annoyance.

 

“That’s the truth, bro. What’d you do last night?” Her blonde friend, Jeongyeon, added with a burger in hand

 

“Nothing new. Crazy party with crazy people.” The short girl answered stealing some fries from her tall friend.

 

“You’re lucky we don’t have track practice today or else you would look like a stumbling mess.” Jeongyeon added wanting to friend.

“Oh unnie. I could drink a whole gallon of tequila and I’m still faster than your long legs could take you.” Yet it fired back. There was nothing but truth in Chaeyoung’s words though. She was the star in track and field; the ace in their school and the youngest to ever win a championship in her freshmen year. She's a sophomore yet everyone knows her. Everyone wants to be her or be with her.

 

Jeongyeon was about to slap some humbleness in her head when a hand in her thigh stopped her. “Stop it. It’s not like it’s a lie, sweetie.” The long-haired brunette, Nayeon, said

 

Jeongyeon was perplexed, speechless. “Wha… what? I sometimes wonder who your girlfriend is, Nayeon-ah.” She crossed her arms, pouting at her girlfriend’s indirect blow. Nayeon cooed her by caressing and kissing her cheeks, enough to stop the pouting baby from sulking.

 

“Can you guys stop doing that? It’s sickening.”

 

“Pfft. You’re just jealous.” Jeongyeon retaliated

 

“Of what?” Chaeyoung teasingly challenged. Knowing full well how to get under her favorite unnie’s skin.

 

“Of love. That’s what.”

 

“Yeah. I’m so jealous of being tied down to someone blindly believing everything they said just because of “love”. Spare me.”

 

At such a young age, Chaeyoung vowed to never believe in it. It was a myth. A fantasy that people wants to dwell in to make living in this world, much bearable. But to her, it was a lie. No one is ever in love. They’re just attached, scared of living alone. Scared of feeling empty. It was a way of surviving. Loving, That is.

 

Being the oldest, Nayeon shushed the two. Breaking the impending heated discussion her two friends are about to have. “Where is Tzuyu, by the way?” She added

 

“She texted me that she’ll catch up on her reading in the library. The school is signing her into some scholastic quiz competition or some .” Chaeyoung said munching on her carrots. Tzuyu is one of their friends. Their smartest friend who skipped a year due to her intelligence making her ahead of Chaeyoung despite the same age. A combination of beauty and brains.

“Aigoo, that kid. Hey babe, remind me to bring her a sandwich or something in the library. That kid always skips her meal.” Nayeon reminded her girlfriend, her motherly instinct kicking in naturally. Jeongyeon nodded agreeing, ketchup smudged on the side of her lips unknowingly. It was endearing in her eyes. Why does she love this girl so much?

“Anyway, have to bounce. I got a date in an hour. Bye.”

“Who’s the girl, this time?” Nayeon asked, aware of the disappointment that's about to follow

“I don’t know. Some girl I met last night at the party. I think her name’s Yeri?” Packing her things, she disappeared like a speed of light. Dodging the nag from Nayeon’s mouth, anticipating the night ahead.

 

It was 4 in the morning when she woke up at a different room again. Grabbing her thrown out clothes, she quietly wore her clothes hoping not to wake up the body in the bed.

"Chaeyoung? Are you leaving?" She heard Yeri asked in her groggy voice. Wiping the sleep from her eyes, she faced Chaeyoung lying down.

"I have to go. Thanks for tonight. I had fun." She answered, kissing Yeri one last time as she headed for the door, not looking back. She had no plans of going back anyways.

She went to her car and drove back to her dorm room. Collapsing in her bed as another day is about to begin.

 

---------------

Chaeyoung as a playgirl? Just a short chapter to let you guys know of her personality. What do you think? I literally have no idea of what I'm writing. I just hope I can finish this. Comment your thoughts!!