one

RED

Red.

 

That was the only clue Gahyeon had. The word was written in a small piece of paper that now lay crumpled somewhere behind her. 

 

clack,clack,clack.

 

She picked up her pace, turning around corridors and pushing open doors. Gahyeon didn't know how long she's been running but every time she tries to catch her breath, she hears them - the sound of their heels clacking noisily behind her, the sinister shadow of bunny ears on the walls in front of her- closer and closer.

 

She wouldn't last long, that was for sure. Her legs were starting to hurt and there was a sharp pain in her chest every time she breaths. Gahyeon didn't dare to look back, afraid that she might freeze if she sees what it was that's chasing her. 

 

She turned another corridor, this one the same as the others - purple and pink neon lights, balloons and confetti strewn everywhere - and headed towards the only open door at the end. 

 

 Gahyeon fell through the doorway and kicked the door shut. Her entire body was screaming at her in pain and she tried to stand up but there was no more strength in her. Tears started to fall down her cheeks and she stuffed her fist into to stop from crying out. 

 

"What's wrong little one?" 

 

She froze. The voice came from somewhere behind her. Her heart was thundering in her chest. Gahyeon twisted from her position on the floor to face the speaker. 

 

This corridor was empty aside from the bunch of chairs toppled over one another at the end. And there she sat, wearing an all red suit with a book in hand, looking at her with concern. 

 

She smiled at Gahyeon but it only sent chills to her spine. This was one woman she wouldn't dare to cross if she wanted to live. 

 

"I can help you escape," she said in that deep voice that you can almost feel inside your head. 

 

clack, clack, clack. 

 

Gahyeon looked back at the door, her eyes wide. The door knob started to shake and her tears started to fall harder. she looked back at the woman and nodded. 

 

She smiled and stood up. Gently placing the book on the chair behind her. 

 

She walked up to Gahyeon and extended her hand. "Let's go," she said. 

 

Gahyeon reached out to her shakily and shivered when she touched her ice cold skin. It was only when the lady's hand was wrapped around her's that Gahyeon finally realized one thing: she was wearing red.