Beautiful

Fox Rain

 

 

Thoughts raced through her head as she weaved around trees. The words ‘mom’ and ‘sister’ continued to pop into her frazzled mind. Her whole life that’s all Chaeyoung wanted, a real family. She grew giddy at those words, but when she remembered what those people were she was filled with dread. It was a mistake to come here, she thought.

 

Chaeyoung got lost in her thoughts, trying to process what she had heard and everything she had seen. She was sure she had to be dreaming or maybe even hallucinating, for it couldn’t be possible to have a mother like that. But, what if. What if that really was her mother. And if so, though likely impossible, why did she abandon her?

 

One minute she was pondering over life’s misfortunes and the next she was lying face down on the grassy and leaf cluttered ground. Chaeyoung slowly picked herself up, brushing debris off her skirt, and checked for what she had tripped over. But not a twig or stone lay where she had been, just grass and the shadows of the trees.

 

That’s when she noticed something she hadn’t before. The forest around her seemed gloomier than earlier. Even if the clouds above were gone the wooded area would still feel cold and dark. The trees here looked bare and rotted, like the life had been out of them. The area was so quiet not even the chirping of birds could be heard. Chaeyoung started to get chills.

 

A strange movement drew her attention to the ground where she had tripped. Chaeyoung didn’t know if she was seeing correctly but the shadow of the tree seemed to moving in slow erratic twitches, then began pulsating like the beat of a heart. The shadow began to grow in all directions, up and out of the ground, and towered over Chaeyoung.

 

Creeping eyes peered at her and sharp teeth jutted out from the creature’s mouth. Chaeyoung wasted no time, she sprinted off away from the monster. She could sense that it chased after her, though she did not dare to look back to see how close it was. But she was sure she was going to be killed.

 

Chaeyoung pushed her body to run as fast as she could, though it was difficult with the long skirt of her hanbok, even when she held it up to prevent it from further catching on to branches and briars. Her heart slammed against her chest as she tried to figure out what she should do. Chaeyoung was frightened, absolutely terrified. She was all alone in this world now, no one to rely on. Just what was she to do?

 

Then she heard a whisper of a voice, as if the wind spoke to her. Call his name

 

Call who, she thought. Who was she supposed to call? She frantically struggled to think of a name, someone, anyone. And before she realized what she was even doing, a shout escaped from her.

 

“Jungkook! Please help! Please!” She cried out.

 

Chaeyoung didn't know if she could trust him, in fact she didn't know much about his kind to begin with. But during their first meeting he seemed genuine and kind. So surely dealing with him would be much better than being eaten by this terrible creature.

 

The shadow seemed to be growing ever closer and she could hear the gnashing of its teeth. Yet she continued to run and call out for the boy with the black wings.

 

A rush of wind hit Chaeyoung’s back and almost knocked her to the forest floor, but strong arms had wrapped around her waist and she was soon lifted into the air. She watched as the ground and the shadowy figure that chased her grew further and further away as she was lifted above the trees and soaring over the forest.

 

A soothing voice reached her ears, “Are you okay?”

 

She nodded, unable to speak now, her body tired from running and yelling.

 

Once clear of the dead part of the forest they settled onto a branch and Jungkook helped her to lean against the tree, seeing as how she was still in shock. The poor girl was shaking and tears threatened to fall from her eyes, though she couldn’t hold them back for long.

 

Jungkook patted her head as she cried. It was the only thing he could think to do to hopefully help calm the girl. He had never expected her to actually enter the forest but he was glad he told her his name.

 

Jungkook looked at the sky as the clouds started to move south and the sun broke free of its prison. He smiled when he came up with an idea to help the girl feel better.

 

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and moved in close, he spoke just above a whisper. “Want to go see the 4 o’clock flowers bloom?”

 

Chaeyoung brought her attention to Jungkook, tears still falling from her eyes. She wiped at her face and blinked a few times, trying to process what he had said. She didn't know what a 4 o'clock flower was but it sounded interesting, so she nodded in reply.

 

He motioned for her to stand and as she did  Jungkook grabbed Chaeyoung’s hands and placed them on his shoulders, while he himself placed a firm grip on her waist. “Hold on tight, okay?”

 

Jungkook jumped up of off the branch and began flying north, in the direction of the mountain. Chaeyoung's eyes were screwed tightly shut as they soared through the sky. Until Jungkook told her to open them and she saw the beautiful blue sky peeking through the clouds. But what drew her attention the most were the boy's large black wings. With the sun shining down she could see the navy and violet highlights that hid in his feathers. How pretty they were as they contrasted against the light blue above them.

 

Finally they landed beside a massive tree deep in the forest at the base of the mountain. At the top of the large tree and all along the rest of the surrounding treetops were small houses. Chaeyoung assumed that many others like Jungkook lived here.

 

There was a sound of wings beating the air and a dainty looking woman could be seen coming down from the house on the large tree. She then marched up to them, hands planted firmly on her waist. “Jungkook where have you been?”

 

He smirked at the woman and turned his head to Chaeyoung. “Sorry mom, I had to go rescue a damsel in distress.”

 

“Oh!,” she exclaimed upon noticing the girl, “Who is this?”

 

“Mom this is Chaeyoung.” He replied. He also didn't miss the look she gave him, knowing that she didn't understand how he knew her name.

 

“Oh my, how beautiful. She’s one of the prettiest foxes I’ve seen on this entire mountain.” The woman announced as she approached Chaeyoung.

 

Chaeyoung was baffled, confusion apparent on her face, how could this woman know such a thing about her when she herself didn’t even know. Was it obvious to the other inhabitants of the forest?

 

Then the woman gasped. “Jungkook! You didn’t go off and get married did you? I’m not blind you know, I saw the fox rain earlier.”

 

Both Chaeyoung and Jungkook looked at each other, the former with a very red face and the latter with a huge smile plastered to his. The boy grabbed Chaeyoung’s hand and laced his fingers with hers.

 

“What are you doing?” She whispered.

 

“Just play along.” He then turned to his mother. “I’ve been courting Chaeyoung for the past two months and we finally decided to get married today.”

 

“Oh my! Is that where you’ve been sneaking off to!”

 

Jungkook’s mother then began to circle the girl, inspecting her. “You can’t tell me that you got married in this dirty old thing.” She said as she lifted the tattered dirt covered skirt of Chaeyoung’s hanbok.

 

The older woman placed her hand onto Chaeyoung's back. “Come with me dear, we’ll get you out of these rags and into something proper.”

 

Chaeyoung looked to Jungkook for help but he just stood there snickering at the success of his little prank.

 

Jungkook’s mother led Chaeyoung to the stairs that led up to the house situated on the large tree. When they entered she took a moment to study the inside. It was rather elegant with silver and gold laced throughout every object. The inside smelled earthy and vines climbed up the walls. And she could tell that much care was put into decorating, most likely courtesy of the small woman next to her. After a quick look around she was then led into a room filled with hanbok and accessories.

 

“Now that you’re married to my son you must dress appropriately. And we shall have a ceremony to celebrate.”

 

Chaeyoung opened to protest but Jungkook’s mother went to the other side of the room. The woman searched through the hanbok and picked out a gorgeous lavender and teal colored one with silver embroidery, and held it up to Chaeyoung. She seemed satisfied then started going through looking for matching hair pins.

 

“Ma’am I…,” Chaeyoung began.

 

“I wish Jungkook would have mentioned that he met a girl, so I could have time to prepare. This gave me quite a shock you know.”

 

“But ma’am I…”

 

“Yes dear?”

 

Chaeyoung almost didn’t have the heart to tell her, but she just had to clear up the misunderstanding before it went any further.

 

“Your son and I, we’re not married. I assume he wanted to play a trick on you.”

 

The woman blinked and her wings twitched. “Why that little brat, always playing tricks.”

 

She then looked Chaeyoung up and down then handed her the hanbok she had picked out. “You could still go for a change of clothes. Here, put this on.”

 

She left Chaeyoung to get changed and went to search for her son to give him a well deserved smack.

 

Chaeyoung had barely just gotten her clothing on when the door slammed open and Jungkook ran in. He grabbed her wrist and began pulling her out of the room. “Thanks for ratting me out. We better hurry before my mom finds and beats me.” They rushed down the stairs and out of the tree, Jungkook pulling her along to the garden that he promised.

 

When they got there Chaeyoung found herself in the most wonderful flower garden she would possibly ever see. A gorgeous range of colors carefully and strategically placed. And due to the raindrops that still resided, each flower glittered magnificently in the sunlight. Bees and butterflies pranced around, moving from flower to flower, kissing them sweetly.

 

“Over here.” Jungkook pointed to one corner of the garden.

 

They crouched down next to the small bush of flowers and Jungkook looked up at the sky. “It should be happening soon.”

 

Chaeyoung stared intently at the closed flowers, waiting for the magic to happen. And when the sun hit a certain point of the sky the flowers began to slowly open, each taking their own time to say hello to the world around them. They were so pretty, the white and yellow flowers, some with stripes of pink and others with freckles, and yet some with both.

 

Chaeyoung could swear she could hear the little flowers’ prayers and thanks for the life they were given, and she smiled down upon them and gave a kiss to one. Her lips tingled with sunlight and raindrops and she laughed.

 

But then she became somber and sighed. “Did you know too?”

 

“Know what?”

 

She sighed again and gently caressed a flower. “What I really am.”

 

Jungkook studied her for a moment, wondering if he should tell the truth. “Yes.”

 

“How?”

 

“I could sense it. Even though you looked human, you don’t feel like one. Your soul is not that of a human’s.”

 

“Then why did you tell me not to enter the forest?” She said with a questioning glance.

 

“I knew you wouldn’t do well here. You lived with the humans for too long.”

 

She smiled, knowing what his response might be. “How do you know that?”

 

“Uh, I-I’ve been watching you for the past two months.”


“I see. Why were you watching me?”

“No reason in particular.” He said as he twiddled his fingers.

Except there was a reason. But he wasn't about to tell her how beautiful he found her. If he did he wouldn't be able to hold back from telling her that she was more beautiful than the prettiest flower, more gorgeous than a warm spring day, more breathtaking than a rainbow during the fox rain or the twinkling stars in a midnight sky. How could he tell her when he only just met her.

From the moment he saw her he knew she wasn't human, but not just for the reason he told her. Foxes were well known for their beauty, and he knew that no human could be as pretty as her. And from then on he would sneak off to watch the girl, struggling to live amongst the humans as they shunned her. How he wished he could help her, but he knew that it may only cause trouble. So he kept his distance, until the day she showed at the forest’s edge.