A Secret Revealed

Fox Rain

 

 

“I wouldn’t go in there if I were you.”

 

Chaeyoung looked up to where she heard the voice coming from and found a boy, likely around her age, sitting on a branch about ten feet above her. But something stood out about this boy that left chills of fear running down Chaeyoung’s spine. Coming from his back were two very large black wings. Chaeyoung wanted to run away but her body betrayed her her and refused to move.

 

“Tell me,” the girl said with voice shaking, “are you a monster of this forest?”

 

He could tell that she was scared, her voice and body was shaking and her body in a defensive stance. So he gave a warm genuine smile and spoke softly, hoping to ease her concerns. “This forest holds many monsters, but I can assure you I am not one of them.”

 

She studied him for a few seconds, gauging whether she should trust him or not. He stayed seated on the branch, unmoving, so far not a threat. A few more seconds passed before she spoke.

 

“What would happen if I were to go in there?”

 

“Well, you might be eaten up by the shadows, pretty girls are their favorite.” He said with a teasing smile.

 

A blush creeped up her cheeks, not used to receiving compliments. He seemed to find it quite amusing and let out a small laugh.

 

And before another word could be spoken, in the distance the sound of a crow could just barely be heard. A look of annoyance crossed the boy’s face as he stood up on the branch.

 

“I have to go now, my father’s calling me.” He looked down at the girl briefly before returning his attention back to the forest. “If you do decide to go into the forest, just be careful, there’s many creatures in there that are very unforgiving.”

 

Chaeyoung gave a small nod, understanding that this really was a dangerous place.

 

“Jungkook.”

 

She looked up at the boy in the tree with a puzzled look on her face.

 

“If you ever need help just call for me, alright?” It was then that the boy jumped up and right before Chaeyoung’s eyes transformed into a crow. The boy, Jungkook, flew off deep into the forest where his father had called for him.

 

Chaeyoung debated with herself on what to do. She had nowhere to go, and so far only the mountain and its forest seemed like an inviting place to be. It called out to her and a breeze seemed to beckon her inside. One step turned into two turned into three, and Chaeyoung found herself walking past trees and into a whole world unknown to her.

 

The forest was a lot less menacing than the stories she had heard. The tales mentioned that behind the outer layer, hidden inside were gnarled trees devoid of leaves, the grass brown and dry, and an everlasting fog that drifted throughout. Everything that existed would have its life out of it because of the monsters that hid there. But here she found no such thing. In fact, the forest was rather pretty, there was something very enchanting about it. However, that didn’t stop Chaeyoung from being frightened by every tree and every stone she passed. She was sure that at any moment she would be eaten up.

 

A mile into the woods and dark clouds began to fill the sky, a pitter-patter of rain fell against the leaves high up in the treetops. Water began pouring down and the cover of foliage didn’t do well to protect Chaeyoung from getting wet. After ten minutes of heavy rainfall and being thoroughly soaked, the sky let up a bit and the clouds parted to let the sun shine through.

 

The sun was warm against Chaeyoung’s cold rain-soaked skin. Light shone through the bright green leaves, making them almost translucent. And the rain continued to fall, but much lighter and more bearable. A light wind came from the west and carried with it sounds that Chaeyoung had not expected to hear. Music. She adjusted her satchel and followed the winds and sounds of laughter and singing.

 

Chaeyoung came upon a clearing and a celebration of sorts. What kind, she could not tell. But all around were people, just like her, dancing and having a grand time. Tables of food lined the outer edges for everyone to enjoy. And vines and flowers were meticulously placed, creating a beautiful scene all around.

 

She was hesitant at first to enter but nobody seemed to notice her, and if they did they weren’t coming after her in any malicious way. So she made her way through the crowd of people.

 

And in the center of all the festivities was the prettiest girl she had ever seen, in a hanbok of gold, as radiant as the sun. Her ebony hair neatly wrapped in braids atop her head and adorned with flowers that glistened with drops of rain. And holding her hand was a man of equal beauty. The couple stood before a man with his hands clasped together, speaking something Chaeyoung could not hear. And then it hit her.

 

Somehow, someway, Chaeyoung knew exactly what this was and panic shot through her. The brilliantly shining sun and the gentle cool rain that fell upon all the people gathered around. A fox’s wedding.

 

All that was on her mind was getting out of there, but the crowd of people seemed to be closing in. It was made even more difficult when the man in front of the couple announced that the two were officially wed. Shouts and cheers spread throughout the clearing and everyone drew closer. And even over the ruckus she could hear a gentle quiet voice calling her name.

 

“Chaeyoung, is that you?”

 

The girl slowly turned around, shock and a feeling of familiarity spreading through her body. Her eyes met with a woman’s, who had to have been twice her age. She was small and looked frail, her dark hair peppered with white, and looking like she had been through a lot of stress and grief throughout her life. Who was this woman and how did she know Chaeyoung's name?

 

Tears welled up in the woman’s eyes and a cry escaped her lips. “It is you, my dear Chaeyoung!” The woman threw her arms around the girl and brought her into a crushing hug. “My daughter, you’ve finally returned to me.”

 

Was she hearing right? Did this woman just refer to her as her daughter? It couldn’t be. The world around her started to grow dark and her head felt light. This was all too much for Chaeyoung to take in and soon she was lying on the ground, having fainted from the impossible news.

 

When Chaeyoung gained consciousness she could feel that she was being carried and she didn’t dare open her eyes. A door closed behind them and the air inside of wherever they were felt slightly damp and cool. Whoever was carrying her laid her carefully onto something soft, a bed perhaps. Shuffling of feet and a worried voice soon followed. “Oh I hope she’s alright, I must have given her such a shock.” The same calm voice from before had spoken.

 

Another voice came afterwards, this one very sweet and ethereal. “Mother are you sure that’s her?”

 

“Of course it is, I would know my own daughter anywhere. I’ve watched her these past twenty years.”

 

Chaeyoung felt the bed sink as someone sat next to her and a soft hand caressed her face. “My beautiful child has finally returned home. Now she can be what she was always meant to be.”

 

She didn’t know what the woman was trying to say. But if she was her mother then that meant… no, it couldn't be, it really couldn’t mean that she was one of them, right? A creature of the mountain, of the forest, a monster.

 

Chaeyoung continued to pretend to be unconscious until she was sure that everyone had left, but someone called out to her.

 

“I know you’re awake.”

 

Chaeyoung opened her eyes and found the girl in the golden hanbok standing over her. The girl stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to do, she seemed almost scared. She slowly, hesitantly, sat on the bed next to Chaeyoung.

 

“I know this is probably a lot to take in right now, but I’m your sister. My name’s Jisoo.” She kept her eyes on her hands that were folded in her lap as she said this, afraid of seeing the reaction from her long lost sister.

 

Chaeyoung was in shock, she could barely keep up with what was happening. How could this girl be her sister? And that woman, she couldn’t be her mother. These people, they weren’t even people, they’re foxes. She couldn’t be one of them, right?

 

“No.”

 

Jisoo looked up at the the other girl, confused and hurt.

 

“You’re wrong, I’m not like you. I’m not a monster.”

 

“Chaeyoung, you lived with the humans for too long, you don’t understand what you say. We’re not monsters.”

 

“No! I’ve seen what your kind have done. There was a child in my village that had his soul taken! He was found near the forest, he was...he was...gone.”

 

“Unnie…”

 

“Don’t call me that! I am not your sister!” Chaeyoung was beyond furious but mostly she was terrified. This was not at all what she had expected to discover when she entered the forest.

 

She stood up from the bed and headed for the door. Chaeyoung stormed past people and foxes that were gathered inside the house. A hand reached out and grabbed her arm and she shook it off. Chaeyoung turned to see the woman from earlier, pain and fear in her eyes.

 

But Chaeyoung didn’t care. She left the house that was built into a cave and ran. She didn’t know where she was going but any place would be better than being there with their lies.

 

The rain had long passed but the air and ground remained damp. Dark clouds still continued to linger in the sky just waiting for their chance to release a downpour. The sun’s rays teasing as they occasionally peaked through, denying the earth and Chaeyoung of its much needed warmth.