MINA I

Autumn's Melody

‘No!!!’ I screamed while running and panting when I heard heavy steps in the dark eerie tunnel. Every half a metre a rectangular light that’s plastered on each side of the tunnel walls beamed upon my eyes. When I looked at my feet the floors were full concrete. It was definitely not a sewage, I told myself. The tunnel had a sulfuric like smell almost addictive but quite toxic. It was warm and humid, I could almost collect a pint of sweat off of my clothes from all this running. What was I running from anyways? Is it a werewolf, a monster, a ghoul or just a psycho. The heavy steps minimised until it faded as if it vanished in thin air. I paused and tried to catch my breath knowing I am safe from whomever or whatever’s chasing me. I ducked down and placed both of my hands on my knees still gasping for air. Trickles of sweat continuously dripped down from my nose. I shook my head to brush off remaining sweat beads. I looked forward only to my surprise the tunnel’s lights started switching off one after the other. It began from the far end and going towards me. I turned my head back and the lights were also dying out. But a manly figure was enveloped in the shadows. About 6 foot tall, short semi-bowl cut hair and a very bulky body. ‘Mina, you’re f-ed’ I whispered to myself when I saw what was chasing me. The figure launched towards me and before the last light went off, he paused preventing the light to brighten his face and get a clear view. A clear view of him. He lurched his hand to grab me, but I heard someone from somewhere in the tunnel pleading for my name, ‘Mina!! Mina!!!’ and I felt like I was being shook by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake. 

‘Mina! Get the hell up already! We’re late for work!’ It’s my sister Minji. 

She’s the biggest pain of my life. She jumped up and down on my bed and pulled the blinds down to possibly blind me with the light that seeped through. I tucked my face in the sheets but she continued to molest my bed. That’s it I’ve had enough.

She continued to massacre my bed. She held on to my headboard and started banging it with an empty water bottle. 

‘I’M UP I’M UP!’  I screeched as I bolted out towards the toilet knowing she’d race me to it.

‘Not fair!!!’ she moaned disappointingly voice trailing down the hallways.

We both live together since the day our dad had left us. Our mother lives in Pohang where she runs her little seafood shop and I must say, we treasure our mum so much that we even tried persuading her to live with us but Seoul’s busy city life isn’t for her. I the shower and jumped in. It’s already autumn and the breeze has been tingling my spine. I grabbed my conditioner and smothered it on my hair. It’s my all-time favourite. It’s scented with a mixture of rose petals and tonic. I rarely use shampoo because my whack-of-a sister told me that it’ll dry out my scalp. She knows a lot about hair care because she finished a course in hair and beauty. But it’s too much for me to take in. She’s so full of herself that she lectures me what beauty products to use and this is this and that is that. Anyways, I just use any strawberry scented body wash because it’s the only thing I am not allergic to. I pulled my towel from the racks and hurried off to my bedroom to get changed. I grabbed my black turtle neck jumper and my black tapered trousers. To top it off, I wore my sand-coloured coat to blend in with the colours. I strapped on my black heeled boots and prepared all of my items before drying my hair. If you think that I’m one of those girls who are quite intimate about their make-up, you thought wrong. I dress nicely that’s a check. Am I presentable? That’s another check. Do I do my make-up? Big fat X. I just don’t have the energy to do such an exhausting thing. All I put on my face is moisturiser, eye cream to make sure everyone thinks I’m not a er for late-night drama marathons and a cherry tinted lip balm. Plus, I do believe that I am beautiful with or without make-up. After finishing my morning routine, I dashed down to the kitchen and made a brew while my sister is still singing to EXO’s Sing For You in the shower.

‘Minji! Stop singing and start mobbing quickly! You wouldn’t get any chance on any EXO Member anyways!!’

 I was on top of my lungs because it was already 8:00 in the morning and my shift starts at 9:00. Don’t get me wrong, but although our work is about 3 and a half miles away from where we live, the traffic around Gangnam is mind draining. 

The toilet door flung open and she walked out with her robe on and a towel wrapped around her head.

‘I’m done you witch.’ Rolling her eyes and slamming her bedroom door shut.

After 15 god darned minutes, she finally stepped out of her room and ready to zoom. I’m a short-tempered person and situations like this works me up. I managed my way to my car because I’ve had enough of her turtle movements. I honked in for the nth time and she dashed out of the door pale and flustered.  

‘Next time, you’ll be riding the bus.’ I said in annoyance.

As expected, the traffic was already heavy. Cars emitting polluted air, roads congested and people getting late to their jobs. And for Christ sake I’m one of those people. 

‘This is your fault. If I get dismissed for being late every other day, I’d make sure you’d get sacked too.’ I threatened her with purely no intent of forgiving her.