3...

Wildest Dreams

           It took weeks for everyone that was visiting for the party to leave and return to their own homes. It was only then that Kibum gave into his incapability to sleep and roamed the Castle in the stillness of the night. His attempt to get out of bed without Jinki noticing failed. The moment his legs moved against the silk of his sheets, Jinki’s attention was moved from the balcony doors he was looking through. Noticing he was awake and sitting up on the edge of his bed, Jinki quietly asked as he stepped closer. “Are you alright, Kibum?”

           “I am having trouble sleeping.”

           “Oh,” Jinki pursed his lips for a moment, “Do you want me to send for something from the kitchens?”

           Slipping on his boots he shook his head, before turning enough to look at Jinki. “If I say I wish to go for a walk are you going to stop me?”

           “Depends on if you try to lose me in the process.”

           “Oh, never. I like your company.”

           “That’s very good to hear.” Jinki held up a thick robe for Kibum to wiggle his arms into before it was laid against his shoulders. “Lead the way.”

           The halls almost echoed as he moved through them. He knew Jinki was just a few steps behind him even with the silence of his footsteps. Soon the looming archway that led into the main courtyard came into view and they no longer needed the light from the candle in their lanterns.

           “It’s so beautiful out,” Kibum softly exclaimed, head moving quickly as he took in how the moonlight fell on the rich gardens of the main courtyard. “So quiet as well. I’ve never experienced the castle so still before.”

           Jinki had stopped walking a few paces behind him. His eyes were closed as he took the light of the moon across his skin. He didn’t notice the Prince gazing at him until he opened his eyes again. His head was gently cocked to the side, curious. “Is something wrong, My Prince?”

           “I haven’t seen you so relaxed.” He replied quietly, giving a small smile. “You’re softer here in the gardens.”

           “It’s the stillness. My senses can take a rest from all the constant stimulants.” He folded his hands in front of his belt with a kind smile. “My mind is quiet, so I am relaxed.”

           “It fits you.” Kibum panicked a little when Jinki’s eyebrow raised, flustered slightly. “I mean, you’re always so focused and vigilant. It’s a nice look on you, for you I mean, to be relaxed like this.”

           “Uh huh.” The corner of Jinki’s lips quirked up. His fingers flexed a little at his belt. “Are you alright, Kibum? You look flushed.”

           “Oh, just fine.” He turned away from him, swallowing thickly as over and over in his thoughts he mumbled ‘stupid just stupid’. The fountain’s edge was cool against his palms as he carefully sat upon it. He was running his fingers through the almost cold water when he glanced back at Jinki. “Thank you for following me down here.”

           The laughter flowing from Jinki’s lips was soft and warm, causing Kibum to freeze his hand movement in the pool of water. Jinki was smiling fondly at him, his amusement dripping off of him in waves, but his eyes showed how tired he really was. “I go wherever you go Kibum.”

           Seeing Jinki move about the gardens, pulling his glove from his right hand to be able to touch the softness of the flower petals and the cool dew on the leaves, Kibum felt his immoral feelings toward the man bubble into his chest. It was getting harder to ignore them with how frequently they slipped through his defenses. Thinking about the way Jinki’s hand felt clasped on his shoulder, the carefree smile he had when he laughed, the way he calmed down over a cup of tea, and the look in his eyes when they sparred. A few strands of hair falling on his forehead, blowing in the soft breeze, made Kibum remember the way he gathered the dark hair from his neck so carefully to put it back up one late night. Remembering the way Jinki’s fingers moved across his neck to catch escaping strands. He forced himself to look away from Jinki, swallowing thickly as he tried to push the feelings away. If he came clean, he knew he could very well ruin the state of their relationship, this friendship, completely. The daydreams of all the positive possibilities confessing his secret love for his friend stopped him from ignoring that option entirely. He knew Jinki favored men, knew he had felt attraction toward his fellow men, but even knowing Jinki wouldn’t react as if disgusted made the next words out of Kibum’s mouth difficult. “Will you come to sit with me?”

           Concern flashed over Jinki’s features, his hand slowly falling from the flower he was reaching up to bring closer to smell. He made his way over gracefully, each footstep silent as he did so, before sitting almost delicately on the fountain’s edge next to him. Their hands would touch if both of them were laid against the stone between them. “You seem bothered by something. Do you wish to return to your rooms?”

           “No, no, I’m fine here.” He waved his hand softly before it fell into his lap. He twisted his fingers nervously. “Something is clouding my thoughts, however.”

           “Anything I can help with?”

           “Actually,” Kibum laughed a little, “All of it really.”

           “Oh?” Jinki breathed out softly, voice quiet with how close they were.

           “In the last two years, we’ve learned a lot about each other, haven’t we?” When Jinki slowly nodded, Kibum continued. “I have been thinking things, immoral things, about you for some time. I’ve tried to block them out, convince myself that they were just passing thoughts, like a feather on the breeze, but they kept coming back even stronger.”

           “I’m not quite sure I understand, Kibum.”

           “Do you remember our conversation on whether you’ve bed a woman?”

           “Quite.” Jinki was staring intently at him, probably trying to figure out what foolishness was actually coming from his mouth.

           “Well, I lied when I told you I didn’t understand what you meant by having an eye for your fellow man.” Kibum bit his bottom lip, eyes falling from Jinki’s face before fluttering close. “I lied because I keep looking at you the way someone such as I should look at a woman.”

           “Kibum…”

           With a shuddering breath, Kibum’s eyes opened, but he stared out at the trees before him, too scared to see the way his friend was looking at him then. Just the soft gasp of his voice was enough to break his heart a little. “And it’s quite more than that I’ve recently realized. I want to hold your hand just, or even more than I wish to kiss your fingers, to feel the roughness of them from all your sword work. I find myself wondering what it’d be like to kiss you, to hold you close, to court you as one would someone they’re involved with. To hear you say you love me as I do you. Because I do Jinki, love you that is.” Kibum his lips, nerves shot by that point. Silence fell then, just the rustling of the plant life around them and the trickle of the fountain behind them. Against his better judgement, he turned to look at him as he pleaded. “Please say something Jinki.”

           “I-” He huffed, his lips nervously. “I am not worth your love Kibum.”

           “What?” He had expected a kind, yet sweet, dismissal. Maybe even a mumbled, but we can’t.

           “I am not someone you should love.”

           “If you do not feel the same as me, or find me offensive, say so instead of these foolish excuses.” Except, all anger melted from his voice when Jinki lowered, hunched over his lap. Jinki was always tall in structure, never slouching at all, and seeing him bent so heavily on his knees concerned Kibum greatly. “Hey, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean..”

           When Jinki spoke his voice was so soft, each word sounding strained and almost forced. “I told you about my father and my mother. People who love me end up hurt. They die.” He glanced over then, through his falling strands of hair, and Kibum’s heart ached seeing how pink and glossy his eyes were. “I will not allow you to be hurt because of me.”

           “Loving you is not what caused their deaths.” He reached over to grip his arm softly, “People are disgusting creatures. They killed your parents. Not you.”

           As Jinki straightened again there was a sad, almost mocking, smile upon his lips. “I never told you they were killed because of me, who I am. I’m a mutt.” He rose his hands slowly. As his fingers rested against the black cloth he wore around his ears he paused for a moment, as if contemplating if he really wanted to go through with it, but then he was untying it under his braid and the cloth was laid across his palms as he rested his hands in his lap. A shimmer moved across his face as he turned completely toward him. “I lied to you about who I was. I did it to protect myself as my mother requested of me, but I must confess. My mother was a human. The daughter of the baker in the human town close to my father’s farm in the Elven lands. My Father was a dark elf.  Having me, keeping me, was proof of their immoral relationship. I got these scars when I was eleven from the man who was supposed to be my maternal grandfather. My parents were killed protecting me.”

           “Oh, Jinki.” Kibum breathed out, a hand lifting to cover his lips briefly.

           Jinki shook his head, laughing at himself pitifully. “Don’t look at me like that. I look at myself that way more than enough.”

           “You are beautiful Jinki.” When the man tried to move away, Kibum gripped his arm, moving to kneel before him. His hands rested softly on Jinki’s thighs, a gentle smile on his face as he gazed up at him. “I’ve always believed you to be gorgeous. The way you move, how you form your words when you speak, and even how your hair always falls into our eyes. I think the most beautiful I’ve ever seen you is here before me now.”

           “Kibum, please, don’t pity me.”

           “I love you.” He found his hand curling around Jinki’s, feeling the warmth of them as he tried with all his might to make the man believe those three words. Jinki’s walls were crumbling, his resistance scattering. Kibum’s gaze flicked over to the soft, pink, ragged scars. Four lines curving from his right cheekbone down his jaw and his neck slightly. “May I touch them?”

           Jinki’s eyes widened for a moment before he softened, “Yes.”

           When Kibum’s fingers brushed against the scars, they were warm and soft, almost as much as his gaze was. There was no malice in his expression, no disgust. It reminded Jinki of the way Kibum looked at the stars at the night, fond and almost amazed. “My feelings for you, whether or not you return them to me Jinki, haven’t suddenly gone away because of this. You opened up expecting me to be repulsed, but I am not. I want you to feel safe here. No one will harm you because of who you are. If they try, it’s because they want to harm me.”

           “I did expect you to be repulsed.” Jinki quietly confessed as he laid his hand over Kibum’s still touching his cheek. He shifted a little to press a kiss to his palm as he returned the words. “I love you too, Kibum.”

           His breathing hiccuped then, as he cupped Jinki’s other cheek, pushing up to kiss him on the lips. It was sweet, and chaste, if only for a moment. They parted slowly, searching each other’s gaze for some sign of doubt. When finding none, it was Jinki who pressed deeper, opening the kiss to more warmth and feeling. Their kiss was interrupted by the changing of the guard then, Jinki grabbing his wrist and tugging him from the open view of the fountain. His right arm was tight around him, pulling him so their bodies were aligned as they hid behind the line of oak trees. His other hand was lifted, a single finger against his lips, as his eyes seemingly said, be quiet.

           It was when the courtyard was once again clear did it feel as if they could breathe, both beginning to laugh at the circumstance. The laughter was cut off by a simple glance. They were still pressed together, Jinki’s arm wrapped around his waist, and neither had any self-preservation to prevent them from kissing again. Kibum’s fingers curled around the back of Jinki’s neck, feeling how the young man’s grip tightened on his back. Soon though, they parted, with an unspoken promise for more as they walked back to Kibum’s rooms. Before Jinki left he pressed a sweet kiss to Kibum’s lips, smiling with a soft, “Good night, My Prince.” Before slipping through the door. Leaving Kibum with his heart beating fast and his mind floating above the clouds.

----

           Jinki tapped his foot impatiently, arms crossed over his chest as he stared at the closed door he was ordered to not enter yet. He wasn’t sure what Kibum was doing inside of his rooms, but whatever it was didn’t negate Jinki’s duty to be there to protect him through it. He had a feeling Kibum had been keeping him away all day. Ever since their sword lesson, Kibum had made it very clear he had no intention of returning to his chambers yet, which was extremely odd. Then, finally, when they did Kibum had ordered Jinki to wait out here. Not taking any complaints or opinions before shutting the door in his face. That was really not the way you treated someone you supposedly loved and kissed a few nights prior, or anyone really.

           “What do you think he’s doing in there?” Jinki slowly turned toward the voice to find one of the patrol guards.

           “No clue.”

           “Maybe he’s entertaining a girl.”

           Jinki hummed quietly, tapping his fingers on his arms as he kept them still crossed across his chest. “I doubt that greatly. I’d know if there was anyone in there with him.”

           “Maybe.”

           He returned to gaze at the closed door across the hallway from him as he quietly quipped. “Don’t you have a patrol route to finish?”

           “Of course, Sir.”

           Just as the man had turned the far left corner the door opened. Kibum was standing in the opening with the biggest smile on his face. Jinki rose his eyebrow, slowly pushing from the wall to take careful steps toward him. “And what have you been doing, Your Highness?”

           “Oh, this and that.” He stepped aside with a wave of his arm. “Come in and see.”

           Jinki’s eyes were closed as he walked into the room, “This is highly unorthodox and against protocol. What really-” His voice stopped completely as soon as he opened his eyes and saw the spread on the main table straight up the middle of the room. He whipped around to find Kibum, the question on his lips as he moved. “What is this?”

           There were candles lit down the length of the table. There were various plates of food on either side of the candles, but only two place sets laid out. “I don’t know what your people do for people they are with but I recall reading somewhere this is the type of thing you do when you’re courting someone and um I did this for you.”

           Kibum was rocking back and forth on his feet, wringing his fingers in front of him and his bottom lip was pulled through his teeth as he softly chewed on it. Jinki took the few steps and pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek. “It’s very sweet. Thank you.”

           “I was worried you would be angry with me for making you wait out there.” Kibum quietly said as he pulled Jinki’s chair out for him.

           “I was concerned, but far more curious.” Jinki sweetly smiled as he took a closer look at the food on the table. “What did you tell the kitchens to get all this up here?”

           “Oh, that I was practicing for entertaining visiting diplomats.”

           “And they accepted that?”

           Kibum shrugged, but there was a slightly goofy smile on his face. “It worked didn’t it?”

           “That it did.” The juice was poured into his glass carefully as he wiggled a little to get his chair where he wanted it to be. Once happy with the placement, he took the filled glass until it was almost to his lips, looking at Kibum drinking his own over the rim. “And my people give wooden pendants they’ve carved to the people they’re courting.”

           Jinki laughed quietly when Kibum choked a little on his juice. “But you - the pendant wasn’t... We didn’t yet.”

           “No, but it meant something to me and I wanted you to have it.”

           “Does it…did you mean it to mean that?”

           “I did. Does.”

           “And if I hadn’t said anything, you would have just let me wear it all the time without knowing the meaning of it?”

           “I suppose I would have told you what it meant eventually.” There was just a slight curve at the corners of his lips as he cut the meat from the roasted chicken before them. He glanced over quickly to scope out Kibum’s features before returning to cutting. “You seem bewildered.”

           “I was thinking about what would have been if I never said anything.” Kibum ran his tongue over his bottom lip quickly, “You’d have spent the rest of your time guarding me looking at the pendant knowing what you meant by it. Whoa, okay that’s sad. Let’s forget that.”

           “Alright.” Jinki chuckled before reaching to grab Kibum’s hand, giving it a soft squeeze. “Things are just beginning and nothing is set in stone. I just want to enjoy the time I have with you like this.”

           “We don’t want this food to get cold, either.” Jinki pressed a warm kiss to his knuckles before letting the hand go.

-----

           They made a point to sit on Kibum’s balcony after retiring to his rooms from dinner, usually Jinki leaning back between his legs, staring out as the sun fully set over the sea in the distant horizon. However, today was one of Jinki’s off days where he could do whatever he pleased. Kibum was very surprised to see him standing outside the door when he opened it late that morning. He blinked for a moment before stepping aside to let him in, closing the door and locking it numbly. He shook his head as he worked through it all. “What are you doing here?”

           “I was wondering if you’d be up for a little mm rebellious act.”

           “Are you asking me to break the law, Jinki?” Kibum rose his brows as he stepped behind the chair across from Jinki, fingers curling around the back of it.

           “Vaguely.” The grin on his face was so pretty Kibum couldn’t find himself able to hold up the rouse of saying no. “Just… put these on and trust me.”

           Kibum caught the clothes tossed at him, looking through them quickly before turning toward his bedroom to change, the question on his tongue but remaining unasked. Once changed, he glanced into the mirror along the far wall. The clothes were nicely made, but simple. A light tan pant and a white shirt, tight around his forearms, but loose over his upper arms and shoulders. He vaguely looked like a pirate and he wasn’t sure how he felt about that. When he stepped from his room Jinki dropped his riding boots on floor in front of him. “These too?”

           “Trust me.” And he did, so he left it alone as he pulled on his boots. He was given a simple sword to put on his belt before Jinki grabbed his wrist with a bright smile. He pulled Kibum over to the large painting on the wall, pushing the corner to make it slide open revealing a dark passageway. Jinki looked back at him, smile still bright on his face as he asked, “What didn’t know you had secret passageways?”

           “No.” Kibum huffed. “I didn’t. How did you know?”

           It was then he realized Jinki had taken off the wrap he usually had on his head, his ears clearly visible as they wiggled. “Better spatial ability. Let’s go.”

           Jinki had his hand out, palm up as it glowed softly. Could he always do that? “Could you always do that?”

           “Watch your step here.” Jinki quietly warned before answering. “And yeah.”

           “Do you have other mystic powers?”

           “A few yes.” Jinki stopped then, letting go of his hand for a moment to slide the barrier before them slightly. He put a finger to his lips as he kneeled to peer through the small crack. Then he was quickly taking his hand, their fingers intertwining as he tugged him through the opening. Kibum looked back for a moment to see a large tapestry in the south hallway leading from the grand dining room. Then he was tugged around a corner and out into the back lawn toward the stables before he could look more.

           Noticing that the stables were empty, but their horses were saddled, Kibum ventured to ask, “Did you plan this?”

Jinki slipped around the other side of his horse as he leads them out of their stall, smiling over the saddle. “Don’t you usually have to plan to kidnap the crowned prince?”

           “I suppose.”

           “Let’s go.” Jinki quickly swung his leg over the saddle and moved over to the back stable door, which Kibum could have sworn was just closed.

           As he rode alongside him, Kibum asked, “Where are you taking me?”

           “You’ll find out.”

           Kibum needed to talk to him about these vague cryptic answers.

-----

           They managed to ride through town without much trouble, past the far docks and into the thick woods that lead away from the Capital City. They stayed off the main road, cutting through the woods with a familiarity Kibum wondered how Jinki acquired. When they exited the line of trees, Kibum was presented with a stunning view of the bright blue sea. “The horses must remain here.”

           He slowly looked over to find Jinki dismounting and leading his horse toward on of the trees with a low branch to tie the reins. When his horse was also tied up, Kibum noticed the few apples Jinki had rolled onto the ground before each horse. He had a large pack on his back as he straightened, bright smile on his face as he offered his hand. “You aren’t worried about thieves?”

           “The rock formation there hides them from plain view even if someone happened to be this deep in the woods from the road.” Jinki gestured down the rocky path leading to the beach below. “The only way to get to where we’re going is from the sea, or the way we came. If anyone came we’ll know. Come on and watch your step.”

           Jinki’s hand was sure and warm holding his as they made their way down the narrow path.  There was a soft breeze blowing from the ocean, the waves crashing against the shore in slow intervals, but as they stepped onto the sand Jinki led him away from the water behind a large rock formation just ahead. The light shifted then, from bright to muted and Kibum stood frozen as he gazed around the foliage he now could see.

           It looked very much like a cave except the top was open, allowing the blue sky to be seen through the treetops. There were so many different types of plants in the circular space. Trees almost as tall as the cave itself, flowers he had never seen before in bright flowing colors, and in the distance there was the soft sound of a waterfall. Jinki led him through the thick broad leaves until they were in the middle of the cavern. Kibum looked around dazed, mouth open slightly and eyes wide, as he softly breathed out, “What is this place?”

           “The unique shape of the cave allows the air to be moister than other places which allow more diverse plant life that washes in from the sea. I hid here after ditching the caravan for a few days before heading into town.”

           “It’s very pretty.” Kibum playfully glared. “You still could have told me where you were taking me.”

           “I wanted to surprise you.” Jinki stared off in the distance, chewing on his bottom lip for a minute, before smiling, “Romantic. I was being romantic.”

           Warmth bloomed from his chest seeing Jinki so proud of himself. He kissed his cheek. “You were.”

           That only proved to make his smile grow somehow, “Come sit, I have more romance planned.”

------

           Jinki swam to the edge of the pool slowly, putting his arms onto the warm sand and smiling up at Kibum sitting beside him. “You should come in and swim with me. It’s not that deep.”

           “I’d rather just watch.”

           “But Kibum,” Jinki grinned, his hair fanning around him once it hit the water. “I really want you to come to swim with me.”

           “And if I refuse?”

           “Why don’t you try and find out?” Kibum really didn’t like the way Jinki was looking at him, so with a sigh, he pulled off his shirt and tossed it behind him toward the rest of their things. Jinki was grinning from ear to ear as he slipped into the water slowly. “It’s nice, isn’t it?”

           Kibum curled his fingers around Jinki’s wrist in the water, softly tugging him closer as his other hand cupped his cheek. “C’mere.”

           Jinki returned the kisses slowly, letting Kibum lead. The water was shallow enough they both could stand flat-footed and still have their shoulders out of the water. Jinki pulled his hand from Kibum’s to hold his hips, laughing a little against the kiss when he was twisted and his back was pressed into the bank of the pool. “Eager?”

           Kibum chuckled, pressing his forehead into Jinki’s damp shoulder. When he lifted his head his skin was flushed pink. “Thank you for today. I felt.. Normal.”

           “Thank you for letting me kidnap you.”

           “Any day.” Kibum lifted his hands slowly, water dripping from them before he pushed them through Jinki’s hair. “Your ears are out.”

           Jinki had his hands covering them quickly, eyes widen as he rushed out, “I can hide them if it-”

           He pecked his lips quickly, shaking his head as he pulled away. “You’re so pretty, My little Elfling.” When he realized what words came out of his mouth his eyes widened, “I apologize if that offends you.”

           But Jinki was giving that shy smile of his, a slight curve of his lips and pink on his cheeks, but his eyes were narrow slits to the point of them being all the way closed. “I like it.” He leans forward just enough to press a kiss to Kibum’s jaw. “Princeling.”

           Soon they’d have to pack up and head back to the castle before it got too late the Castle Guard was put on high alert, but until then Kibum was content on enjoying the quiet there with Jinki. And the warmth in his chest knowing Jinki felt safe with him to drop his mask.

-----