2...

Wildest Dreams

              His fork made the ceramic dish wobble a little as he picked up the last bit of his breakfast from it. He was so pleased that today was Jinki’s first day, meaning that the basically squadron of guards were no longer coming in and out of his rooms. When the door opened he heard Jinki’s soft, yet deep, voice call out, “Your Highness?"

              “Come in, Jinki.”

              The door was pushed the rest of the way open so Jinki could slip through. His footsteps were still silent, that if the door hinges didn’t slightly squeak and the boy hadn’t been speaking, Kibum wouldn’t have even known he had entered. “Good morning, Your Highness.”

              “Good morning Jin-” His voice stopped in his throat when he lifted his gaze to look at Jinki’s new uniform. He blinked rapidly, trying to process his appearance. He hadn’t been too sure in Jinki’s choice of coloring, but it seemed to suit him greatly. Even being as dark as it was, the crest was still visible on his . He hadn’t chosen to take shoulder pads, but his hands were covered with leather gloves, tight against his fingers and forearm. Kibum was caught watching the way Jinki carefully moved his braid back over his shoulder when he remembered he needed to finish his sentence. “-Ki. Jinki.”

              “Are you quite alright, Your Highness?”

              “Yes. You look good.” His cheeks turned pink when he realized how bad that sounded. “The uniform I mean. Looks good, not you. Not that you look bad I just-”

              Jinki just smiled, saving him from digging his own hole. “Thank you. I’m glad you approve of it.

              Kibum cleared his throat, fussing with the cloth napkin in his lap. “Are your quarters satisfactory?”

              “Very much so, thank you.”

               “That’s good.” He hummed as he pushed from the small table, moving toward his closet. “How do you feel about beginning your language lessons today?”

              “Oh,” Jinki was looking out of the window, trying not to look at Kibum tossed his robe over the divider to get dressed. “Whenever you feel is appropriate. I don’t want you teaching me the language and culture to distract you from more pressing duties.”

              Kibum’s head popped out from the divider, a goofy smile on his face as he tried to gesture to his boots by his bed. “Do you mind handing me those?” Jinki walked over and lifted the boots, and handed them over easily. “Thank you.” His head popped back behind it again until he was stepping out from behind it fully dressed. “I have history from 8 to 10 and politics from 11 until lunch time. We can use the time between the two study sections to work on your learning. Maybe you can even join me when I have my sword fighting lessons with Hyunji this afternoon.”

              Jinki hummed thoughtfully. “I’m not quite sure if Sir Hyunji thinks fondly of me since my test.”

              “Oh, posh. He’s just got his knickers in a twist because you disarmed him.” Kibum paused in the mirror to ruffle his hair about his head before it settled messily around his ears. “Come, we must not be late for Ms. Sungkyu. She often gets quite grumpy when I’m late.”

-----

              The following morning when he arrived to begin his duty hours Kibum was already fully dressed and in front of him was a small, bowed box instead of his breakfast. “What is that, Your Highness?”

              “This, Jinki, is a gift.” Kibum looked almost too excited. “I noticed you still have your old cloth around your head and I figured you deserved something a bit nicer.”

              Carefully he wiggled the top of the box off and inside was a folded, black silk hairband. About the same thickness as his, but without the grime and ware of his own. He smiled warmly, “Thank you.”

              “Why don’t you put it on?”

              Slight panic filled his chest. He couldn’t possibly say the illusion spell without Kibum hearing and wondering what he was doing, and he really didn’t want to explain the point to his ears, so instead, he hummed, trying to mask the fear of being found out. “This is pinned in. It’ll take some time, but thank you. I’ll wear it starting tomorrow.”

              Kibum seemed convinced, but Jinki was still wary as he put the top back on the box. “We will see how well you fare on horseback today.”

              “Horseback, Your Highness?” The subject change was welcomed, but as he took in Kibum’s appearance and noticed the higher, riding boots on his feet, he was curious.

              “Many items on my itinerary have to do with traveling to various parts of town and places on horseback. You cannot very well protect me if you cannot ride, Jinki.” Kibum rose an eyebrow. “You have been on a horse before, right?”

              If his lessons at the age of eleven before going to visit his maternal grandparents counted.

------

              It turned out that Jinki remembered more than he had thought he would. Kibum led him to what would be his horse as long as he was apart of his guard. The horse was a two-year-old stallion, black as night. Kibum was rambling about how reports have stated he was a bit reckless and that maybe he wasn’t the best fit for him, but Jinki didn’t focus on much of it. He was smiling as his horse pushed his head against his hand, petting his mane with his other. On his harness was his name, Midnight, engraved in the silver metal. Greeting him in his native tongue he was acutely aware of Kibum watching him. “Is something wrong, Your Highness?”

              “Your language sounds beautiful.” He quickly replied, ducking behind the horse whose reins he held in his grip. “You should speak more in it.”

              “But you cannot understand it.”

              He could only see half of Kibum’s face from where he was petting his own horse with the name Duke on the harness.“But maybe one day you’ll trust me enough to teach me it.”

              “Yes. One day.” The conversation was dropped as a stable aid led Jinki toward Midnight’s saddle. It was there he remembered how to saddle a horse, images of his Father’s sturdy hands holding his moving through the steps. Soon he was swinging his leg over and getting a feel from on top of the already big horse. He grinned as Kibum mounted Duke. The Prince was wiggling his gloves onto his hands before taking the reins from the stable hand.

              “You ready to show me what you got?”

              “If it’s a race you’re looking for, that’s quite unfair.” Jinki flexed his fingers around the leather of his reins, but there was a smile on his face as he quietly added. "I don't know your lands as well as you."

              Kibum grinned, and it gave Jinki an uneasy feeling in his stomach as if he was about to be put in guard hell. "Then I guess it is about time you learned."

              And then his boot was hitting the side of Duke and he was shooting out of the stable’s open doors. Jinki cursed lowly in his language before following after his charge.

-----

              Jinki pulled the reins tight as Kibum came to a complete stop. It was only then he realized that there was maybe a foot from them and a hundred foot drop into the sea below. He huffed, slightly annoyed at his charge's antics, before softly chiding. “I must say, Your Highness, that was quite unbecoming.”

              Kibum laughed, eyes crinkling in his amusement. “You wished to see the Castle grounds, did you not Jinki?”

              “I suppose I had.” Jinki glanced at him for a moment before looking out at the Sea. It was then he noticed the dock along the shore. “What is this place?”

              “My great Grandfather had this built to prevent visiting dignitaries from having to go through the city with the common folk.  It is where members of the Royal Family also depart for overseas travel.” Kibum softly explained, hand waving with his words. “You need special permits with our seal to dock here. Without the permits, the guards will react and arrest you.”

              Jinki gently cleared his throat. “That seems awfully reactive for what could be just a common mistake, Your Highness.”

              “It is, but you can never take chances when it comes to pirates and other dangers.” Kibum flexed his fingers around his reins, “Come on, I want to make it to the forest to the west of here before we must return to the Castle.”

              Their horses were moving slowly along the cliff edge when Jinki quietly asked, “How are these grounds protected? The area is so vast.”

              Kibum grinned. “You’ll see the wall soon.”

              And he sure did. It was at least twelve feet tall, expanding from where the cliff ended as far as he could see, curving in the distance around the looming trees. To their left, the Castle was blurry and small in the distance. A part of him wished to explore these entire grounds, feel the way the bark of the trees against his fingers, smell the flowers and hear the leaves rustle in the breeze. Until he had that opportunity, he’d focus on making sure Kibum didn’t get too far ahead of him.

-----

              Days turned into weeks and then months, and they found a rhythm of the day to day for Jinki to learn the language. He was a quick learner, being almost fluent a little under five months of becoming Kibum’s personal guard. Between the language lessons, he held up the other condition in teaching Jinki the culture and traditions of his land. He still couldn’t seem to understand the way each section of the Monarchy should be referred to as other than the King and his heirs, but for the most part, he hadn’t needed to know yet. Here they were sneaking off to the old section of the library to hide from Kibum’s tutor. Jinki was relaxed, as much as the boy ever did, sitting on the couch across from him reading softly. It was an exercise to help his language retention, but also helping him learn about the Kingdom. “Have you ever been with a woman?”

              Jinki slowly lifts his head, blinking, before replying calmly, “No. I have no desire to.”

              “Oh.” Kibum’s face twists slightly in the realization that Jinki’s some type of mystic monk or something that’s sworn to some kind of celibacy. Like the Priests in the Temple.

              Jinki hasn’t looked away from him, gaze soft, yet guarded as he asks, “It’s illegal here to love a fellow man, is it not?”

              Kibum swallows thickly. Oh. “It is looked down upon. Highly by the Temple.”

              With a quiet hum, Jinki taps his fingertips on the page of his still open book. “I hope it doesn’t affect how you act around me, Your Highness.”

              “Of course not.” His voice softens when he repeats it, “Of course not.”

              “Thank you.” In the silence that follows both returns to their books. Jinki is turning a page as he asks without looking up, “What made you ask such a question, if I may ask?”

              “Oh, I heard some of the servants talking about and I had questions.” He lied.

              Jinki laughs quietly. “Well, it would seem I am not the source for your answers. I apologize Prince.”

              “Just fine, Jinki, no need to apologize,” He smiled, flicking his fringe from his face before quickly changing the subject. “How’s the reading going?”

              “Quite alright. There are a few words I am having trouble recollecting in this tongue, but,” He flashed a quick smile, “It’s quite interesting to know.”

              Jinki returned to the pages of the book and Kibum returned to his thoughts, or at least, trying to wade through them as they swirled around his mind.

-----

              They were sure once they returned to the Castle, someone would voice their anger at Kibum skipping all of his lessons and meetings, disappearing out of the stables in a streak of white and black. Until then, however, the two of them were enjoying the lunch that Jinki had gotten from charming one of the girls down in the kitchens. It wasn’t much. A loaf of bread, some jerky, and a jar of fruit juice freshly squeezed that morning. Kibum was leaning against a thick tree trunk, making tiny sandwiches of jerky and bread, and taking turns with swigging juice from the bottle when Jinki passed it over from his spot against a huge rock just in front of him. “You like it here, don’t you?”

              Jinki chewed on his bite of jerky until his mouth was clear before asking, “In your Kingdom, or here, now specifically?”

              “Now, you seem more relaxed here.”

              “My home was in the middle of a forest much like this one.” Jinki hummed, swirling the juice in the bottle, “You have to understand that your stone walls of our Castle, while lovely, quite feel like a prison sometimes. There isn’t enough sunlight, enough nature within, to make it feel.. Like a home.”

              The conversation shifted to other topics, but Kibum’s mind was already planning on how he could get plants into Jinki’s quarters without the boy knowing.

-----

              Jinki pressed his lips together, looking past Kibum’s shoulders down the servants' hallway. Everyone seemed to be looking at them, people filtering out from their rooms as the whispers of a Royal down in the servants quarters. “Your Highness.”

              “Yes, Jinki?”

              He whispered, “What are we doing down here?”

              Kibum only smiled over his shoulder as he turned down a hallway Jinki recognized as the one to his own room. “You will see.”

              He opened his mouth to speak again, but then they were stopping in front of his door. Wordlessly he slipped past Kibum to unlock his door. He failed to notice the way Kibum was smiling, the glint of mischief in his eyes as he walked into the room first. Following, his repeated question died on his lips as he saw the almost sea of green around his room and the new, bigger window above his bed. Kibum looked as pleased as a peach. “What is this?”

              “You said that this Castle didn’t have enough green or sunlight to make it feel like home, so I had them do this.” Kibum softly sat on the bed, crossing his legs, and smiling nervously, “You do like it, right?”

              Jinki was softly smiling, smelling a flower hanging from the basket to the left of the bed. His glove was held in his left hand, right hand touching the delicate petals. “It’s beautiful. You didn’t have to do this.”

              “I know.”

              “And yet, you have.”

              “Mhmm.”

              “And, may I ask how you managed this?”

              Kibum was fussing with a bit of lint on his pants as he answered, “The plants were easy enough to do, but the window... I had them to it when we were at my lessons.”

              Jinki hummed, turning his back to him to hide the pink of his cheeks he knew was there, playing with the potted plant on his dresser. “If you keep this up, my special treatment will be the talk of the servant’s wing.”

              “If I cannot give my personal guard gifts, what is the point?”

              “Mm, people will start thinking things, Your Highness.”

              “Oh? What type of things?”

              Jinki coughed, clearing his throat, “Romantic things.”

              “OH.”

              “Oh, indeed.” Jinki closed his eyes for a moment, breathing through his nose before turning with a smile, “Thank you for the plants. I feel more at home already.”

              Kibum looked relieved, perfect posture relaxed slightly as his shoulders slouched. “I am glad.”

-----

              The birthday party for Kibum’s 15th year was extravagant, and nothing Jinki was told about prepared him for it. There were so many people in such fine clothes he wondered where someone could get so much fabric. The music swirled around the ballroom, drifting from all the open windows in the late summer air, and he was sure those in the huge city below the castle grounds could hear it from their homes.

              When Kibum retired to his rooms Jinki couldn’t voice how grateful he was. He had never been to such a vast gathering of people and it made him uneasy. Kibum had dropped his elaborate coat on the cleared breakfast table and promptly fallen into the softness of his chair at the head of it. He huffed loudly, eyes fluttering closed for a moment. Jinki cracked a slight smile as he turned from the then closed door. “Are you too exhausted to open one last gift, Your Highness?”

              Kibum’s gaze was soft and tired, but he lifted to a more proper position and smiled. “Did I miss one earlier?”

              Jinki shook his head before moving to the bookcase just to the right of the bathroom door, to grab the wrapped gift he had hid there that morning when Kibum was getting dressed. He carefully placed it on the table, pushing it over with two fingers. “It’s not much, but I have been working on it for some time. Happy Birthday, Kibum.”

              “You got me a gift?” Kibum gently asked, fingers brushing against the brown paper of the wrapping. Jinki was watching with soft, yet nervous, eyes, but he nodded. Curious, Kibum pulled the brown twine and carefully unwrapped it. A book soon came into view. An eyebrow raised as he ran his fingers over the blue of the cover before gently opening it. He recognized it as a dictionary of some sort, one of the languages being Ki’jash. The other was unknown. “What is this?”

              “You once mentioned your interest in learning my native language when I trusted you enough to share it with you.” Jinki softly explained, gaze falling from Kibum’s face. He looked sort of small then, and vulnerable and Kibum knew how much this meant for him just by that alone. “I figured that being as my language is widely unknown and that there wouldn’t be a text for you to study as you’ve given me to learn yours.. I’d make you one.”

              “Jinki…” He slowly breathed out, fingers running over the carefully written out words. “Thank you.”

              “I know it’s not anything like your other gifts but-”

              Before he could finish Kibum held up a hand to silence him. “Enough of that. You’re right it isn’t, but only because this one means something. Really. Thank you for sharing something so dear to you with me.”

              Jinki gave a sweet smile, “You’re my best friend Kibum, even if you like bossing me around.”

              “HEY!” Kibum pouted deeply, “I do not.”

              In response, Jinki chuckled behind his hand and Kibum’s pout disappeared, a smile replacing it.

----

              One late afternoon as the leaves in the courtyard fell around them Jinki watched carefully as Kibum engaged Hyunji in their daily weapon lesson. Today was the long sword and Jinki was going to fall asleep if they didn’t move past basic forms soon. “You’re holding the hilt too tightly.” He quietly commented. Kibum quickly loosened his grip slightly and Jinki noticed how much that irked Hyunji.

              A few more rotations and he noticed Kibum’s feet weren’t balanced and if in a real fight he’d be easily overpowered. “Stop stepping on your heels, Your Highness. Balls of the feet. Balls.”

              It was then Hyunji lowered his sword and glared at Jinki. “Do you think you can teach him better than I?”

              “I beg your pardon, sir?” Jinki quietly responded. He noticed Kibum walking over to the table where there was an umbrella open and lemonade sitting on a tray.

              “Every time you give some type of feedback to him, you are stepping into my lesson. It’s rude. So,” The anger and frustration was rolling off the Master at Arms easily. “Do you think you can teach him better than I?”

              Jinki’s gaze flicked over to Kibum again, as if asking permission to speak freely. While he was casually sipping his glass, there was a smirk to his lips as he waved his hand in a gesture to go on. “Actually, Yes. I do. You’ve been going over basic forms for weeks now. He’s fifteen. I mastered the lessons taught to me at age twelve.” He took a breath before adding, “Sir.”

              Hyunji opened his mouth, jaw slack, before pressing his lips in a tight line and turning, storming off up the stairs toward the Castle. Jinki leaned his head a little when Kibum came close, asking quietly. “How much trouble do you think I just got in with the King?”

              “None. I’ll protect you. Don’t you worry.” Kibum grinned, nudging him with his elbow. “So, are you ready to show me something new, Teacher?”

              Jinki groaned.

-----

              Sweat was dripping down their brows, even with the cool nip in the air as the temperature outside the large ballroom windows decreased with winter fast approaching. Jinki has his left hand behind his back, posture straight, yet relaxed as he moved his sword to block Kibum’s fury of attacks. He could see how hard Kibum was working to get through is defenses, but even in his frustration, his movements were controlled and thought out. He wasn’t fighting on just emotion. In the last few months since Jinki had taken over as his sword fighting instructor, Kibum had made an immense improvement. At least one of their three weekly sessions were full blown sparring matches. Sometimes it was annoying how Jinki would never push on offense, always defending himself with calm and precise movements, but Kibum also knew that when the young man did in fact attack, that it was much more difficult than catching his defenses by surprise.

              It was a slight shift in his form, his right foot twisting slightly, and Jinki was pushing against his blow. Kibum’s eyes widened as in quick movements Jinki had him backing up, losing his footing as he tried to counter his attacks. In short work, he was disarmed and Jinki had his sword a few inches from his neck, a huge smile on his face. Kibum frowned, whining. “Can’t you let me win, ONCE?”

              “Is it really a win if I give it to you?” Jinki cheekily asked, lowering his weapon and helping Kibum up from the ground. Whatever was grumbled Jinki couldn’t hear, but he watched amused as Kibum brushed off his clothes. “Care to repeat that, Your Highness?”

              “Oh, take the ‘Your Highness’ and shove it up your twisted knickers.” Instead of getting mad or upset, Jinki snorted, deep laughter flowing through the almost empty room. Kibum straightened, blinking rapidly, as he looked at the young man. Jinki’s eyes were almost completely closed, amusement dripping from his very being. He was beautiful. Even with the dripping sweat off his chin and his hair in disarray.

              As his laughter lessened Jinki ran his hand over his hair, pushing it back as best he could. His nose scrunched unpleasantly. “We probably smell.”

              Kibum scuffed as he picked his discarded sword, handing it to the servant by the door to be taken to the armory. “Speak for yourself.”

              “Okay.” Jinki made a point to breathe loudly behind him, and cough, “You smell Your Highness.”

              “Take my prior statement and add damn somewhere in it.” He snipped before grabbing his towel and shirt he had thrown on the ground before their lesson began. He then headed up the right set of steps, heading back to his rooms to clean up before dinner. He paused at the top, hand softly falling on the railing, “Are you coming?”

              “Yes, Your Highness.” Jinki sweetly answered, and Kibum wasn’t sure if the tone was sarcasm or not as the young man jogged to catch up with him.

-----    

              Snow was falling steadily outside, wind softly howling, as Jinki closed the window yet again that had blown open. He was shivering slightly as he returned next to the fire where Kibum was wrapped up in his robe and a blanket, cocoa in the mug held in his palms. Jinki mumbled bitterly. “Love the snow, hate the cold.”

              “Ah, before you sit down, can you fetch something for me?”

              “Of course, what do you need?” Jinki easily asked, masking the way his teeth had just clinked a little.

              “In the chest at the bottom of my bed, there’s a box wrapped in a red velvet cloth. Bring it to me will you?” Jinki left with silent footsteps with a bow of his head, appearing a few moments later with the requested item held carefully in both palms. He went to place it in Kibum’s lap, only to have the young man hold his hand against it. “No need, it’s for you.”

              “For me?” Jinki blinked, frozen half bent still. He straightened, confused, box still held from his body. “Why would it be for me?”

              “Your birthday is the fourteenth of this month, is it not?”

              “Well, yes, but-”

              “Then sit your pretty down and open that.”

              Jinki ignored the fact Kibum had just called him pretty and sat like he was told instead, carefully unwrapping the cloth from the box. He gave Kibum an uneasy glance before returning to pull the brown paper wrapping from it. The box was made of polished dark wood with a golden clasp. He carefully opened it to reveal a dagger almost the length of the box. It was an expertly made ebony blade, the hilt trimmed with gold and on the bottom was a ruby. He lifted it from the box, gingerly, as if afraid he’d break it. “Is this real?”

              “The gem? Yes, or well I sure hope so.” Kibum teased, smiling. “Do you like it?”

              “It’s beautiful, Kibum, but I couldn’t possibly except it.”

              “Nonsense.” He sounded offended, which he probably was, as he laid his cup down on the table near him. “I figured that I’d match your sword as much as one can. You don’t have many nice things Jinki, and I wanted to give you something nice. It can fit in your boot along the side.”

              Jinki slid the dagger into the sheath carefully, wanting to take his gloves off to feel the smoothness of the craftsmanship, but not wanting to get his fingerprints over how pristine it was. “Thank you. It’s very beautiful.”     

              “You’ve said that already.”

              “To take a phrase from your book, stick it up your twisted knickers.”

              Kibum beamed. The saying quite fit Jinki’s slight accent. The dagger was returned to it’s box for the moment, but starting the next morning it’d always be stuck inside of his left boot.

------

              In a statement of good faith, neither the King nor Kibum were in a carriage as they would be normally traveling in the open such as this. In the front were a few guards, followed by the King, Kibum with Jinki right beside him, and a fair number of guards behind them. It was early spring, a slight nip in the air as winter slowly faded away. Jinki kept Midnight almost completely parallel to Duke, just two steps behind to show that Kibum was the Prince. He was glad Kibum was wearing his heavy armor. It gave him more protection than those silly formal suits. He had a bad feeling about this in his stomach, the same bad feeling he had the morning he had first met Kibum.  

              The morning had gone by without much incident. The townspeople on the far edge of the Kingdom were hospitable and kind. Kibum handed out various supplies, walked through shops in the main section of the small town much to the dismay of his father and then after an early afternoon lunch given in their honor, they had saddled their horses and began the long ride back home. They’d stop in a town half way for the night, of course, as they had on the way here. There was silence, a type of silence that put dread in Jinki’s bones and his hand closer to the hilt of his sword, bringing his horse closer to Kibum’s. The Prince rose his eyebrow in question, but didn’t say anything.

              Jinki hissed under the sound of the two dozen horses hooves hitting the dirt of the road. “Be vigilant Your Highness.”

              “Do you know something I don’t, Jinki?” He quietly asked, ignoring the way his Father glanced over his shoulder.

              Before he could answer he heard the hiss of an arrow cutting through the air. He had just but a moment to get his feet from the stirrups, lifting until they were on the saddle and tackling Kibum from the horse, just as the arrow whizzed past them and thunked into the trunk of a tree behind them. Kibum couldn’t hear anything over the panic from around them and the rush of blood past his ears, as his body took the full impact of falling from the back of a horse. But through the dust created from all their horses, he saw the pain exploding through Jinki’s tightly held together facade. He looked over him, searching for the arrow, but stopped moving when Jinki painfully hissed. “Stay down, Kibum.”

              Jinki didn’t move from his place pressed over him, and it was then he realized Jinki was protecting him from possible arrows with his own body. “You’re hurt.”

              It felt like time slowed down when Jinki’s eyes lowered to meet his. The pain he was trying really hard to mask visible easily through the dark depths, but he still managed to smile to try and reassure him. “I’m quite alright.”

              “Bull.” Jinki looked at him apologetic, but before anything else could be said the call it was clear came. Jinki rolled off of him, grimacing as he hit the ground next to him. Kibum carefully stood up, glancing around to see the damage. A few guards were injured, but there were no casualties, including the shooter that had been apprehended from behind the treeline to the East. A guard by the name of Hongbin handed him Duke’s and Midnight’s reins, but when he turned to hand Jinki the reins, he wasn’t standing where he thought he’d be. Instead, he was still on the ground, hands pressing against his right knee. Concern washed over Kibum quickly as he stepped closer. “You ARE hurt.”

              Finally, Jinki relented, being honest. “I think I landed wrong on my knee when I took you down off Duke. Moving or putting weight on it hurts.”

              When Kibum walked behind him, arms moving under Jinki’s armpits to help him up, the young guard actively protested. Something about how improper it was for a Crown Prince to do such a thing, but it fell on deaf ears. Kibum wrapped his left arm around him, right hand on his tummy as he helped him stand on one leg. “Do you think you can ride?”

              Jinki nodded slightly. “I just need help on.”

              Doing so was easier said than done, and in the end, Jinki almost screamed in pain at the movement, barely able to grip onto the saddle to steady himself before he fell off. “You have to wait until we get to the next town. We’ll find you a doctor there, Jinki.”

              Even with the sweat on his brow from his obvious discomfort and pain, he smiled, whispering, so the guards around them didn’t hear him.“Thank you, Kibum.”

-----

              They had managed to find a physician in the town they stopped in for the night. From what they understood there wasn’t much he could do but stabilized Jinki’s knee, order him to be off of it as much as he could, and offer crutches to help with until then. When Kibum entered the room after the physician had left, Jinki was prompt up against the headboard, knee lifted by a few pillows. He smiled easily when his gaze fell on his Prince, but Kibum could tell he was in a lot of pain and was exhausted. Still, he quietly asked as he carefully sat beside him. “How are you faring?”

              “I will be needing some time off, I think,” Jinki hummed, “I doubt I can protect you very well wobbling around on poorly made crutches.”

              “Well, I think you’ve earned more than a few days off, Jinki.” Kibum softly patted his hand resting on his stomach, careful not to jostle him too much. “You saved my life today. I’m not quite sure if that arrow was meant for myself or my Father, but it had hit me without you.”

              “It’s my duty to protect you.”

              “Still.” He slowly withdrew his hand, gazing at the pattern of the quilt under them as time passed around them slowly. “I guess I should let you rest. You must be in a reasonable amount of pain.”

              When he looked up, Jinki’s head was turned toward him, right cheek squished slightly against the pillow propped behind his head. “If you wish to retire I won’t stop you, but I would enjoy the company is you decide you wish to stay.”

              “I- alright.” He gave a shy smile, before pulling off his boots and rounding the bed to climb into the space beside Jinki. He fluffed a pillow, wiggled just a little to get comfortable, before looking up at him, head held up by his palm. They talked for what seemed like hours. About nothing, and yet everything. Jinki talked about the way the stars looked in the night sky when he’d sneak out of his house when he was younger, lay in the field of tulips by his home, and the way fireflies blinked against the dark sky. Kibum talked about his mother, how beautiful he remembered her to be, and how much he missed her. At the sad turn to their conversation Jinki laid his hand over Kibum’s resting between them, and without a word, a bit of understanding traveled through them. Jinki knew very well what it was like to lose a parent, to miss them terribly and not be able to do anything to change the fact they were gone. Even after the conversation had shifted again to lighter topics like the sound of the town through the window and how the candle wick crackled a bit, Jinki didn’t move his hand and Kibum didn’t make him. It stayed there until Jinki asked Kibum to help him down to lay flat, to sleep, and even then Kibum curled up on the other side of the bed, talking until sleep pulled them both under.

-----

              He wasn't sure when the small red vials were being placed in his room exactly, but he knew every morning that he awoke sitting on the table just inside the door next to the potted daisies it would be. He knew they were sent by Kibum. There was a little note the first morning, To help with the pain. Take it easy ~ Kibum. Whatever the vial was, it worked very well. The dull ache in his knee when it wasn't moving was gone, and the sharp pains when he moved or tried to walk was lessened significantly. He almost wanted to stay up, figure out if it was a servant, or Kibum himself, but each time he tried, sleep tugged at him before whoever dropped the medicine off appeared. He knew there were only two other people with a key to his room. Kibum and his Father, both because of security. 

              Instead, he left a note in his language, knowing that only Kibum would understand the words. You know, you could visit me to bring me the vial, Your Highness. 

              In the morning, the note was gone and there wasn't a vial. Instead, when he was having his lunch there was a quiet knock at his door. Before he could stand up, a key was pushed into the lock, and he softly heard Kibum's voice. "Are you decent?" 

              "I sure hope so being mid-morning. Come in Your Highness."

              Kibum slowly slipped in, a nervous smile on his face, before quickly closing the door behind him. In his fist was the red vial, "I got your note." 

              "So you were the one sneaking into my room in the middle of the night." 

              "Don't sound so amused Jinki." Kibum scuffed. "I spent the last thirty minutes trying to shake my replacement guards to come here alone." 

              Jinki patted the bed next to him gently. "I apologize. Please join me." 

              And he did. Softly laying the vial into Jinki's outstretched palm. "How are you feeling?" 

              "A lot better, but even more as soon as I take this. Thank you for giving it to me." 

              "The court physician said that it would help with the inflammation, I think that's what he called it." Kibum chewed on his bottom lip before gazing over at him. "I miss you guarding me. I hope you come back soon." 

              "I will try my best." Jinki wiggled the cork from the vial, taking it back quickly. His face scrunched up as the bitter taste hit his tongue, but as quick as it was there it was gone, and he was placing it on his table next to the bed. "I'm quite sure your guards will go into a full wide panic if you stay any longer." 

              "Come, visit me then." Kibum huffed. "Hyunji has taken over my sword lessons and he won't spar with me." 

              Jinki squinted, "Do you just like me for my willingness to spar with you?" 

              "Completely." But he was smiling, and both knew he was joking. He touched Jinki's left knee ever so delicately as if it was the one that was injured. "Get well soon."

 -----

              It was a few weeks later when Jinki was on duty once again, held up by the cane that Kibum had made for him when he realized he was using a broken mop handle to aid him in walking after he no longer needed his crutches, that he voiced he wished to talk more about his parents.  It was late, a few hours before the moon would be at it’s highest point in the sky. Kibum had poured them both tea, sitting by the fireplace in one of his adjacent rooms. He knew how much of his past Jinki held close to his heart, but as well, from the little he had disclosed that he had no family waiting for him back home. Jinki sipped at his tea, holding it gently between both palms, finger through the little loop of the cup, knee propped up against the arm of the chair he was sitting in. “Of course, if you wish to not know, I’ll keep what I have to say to myself, Kibum.”

              “Nonsense.” He scrunched his nose, as if disgusted by such a thought. “I’ll happily listen to anything you trust me enough to hear.”

              Jinki was gazing at the bit of tea still left in his cup held just above his lap, as he began. “My father was a farmer. He grew many things, but his favorite were his strawberries. He’d make jam that my mother adored from them. We didn’t have much, but we had many family heirlooms, things passed down from generation to generation. My sword is one of them, given to me when he believed I had mastered all he had to teach me at twelve, a book of recipes I’ve never attempted from my mother’s side. My Father died just after my fifthteenth birthday. The reason I was running from my home was because my mother felt I wasn’t safe anymore where we lived.. She gave me all the money she had, a kiss upon my head, and she sent me off. I don’t know what has become of her. I can only imagine nothing good.”

              “Jinki, I never knew, I’m sorry.”

              He flashed a little, sweet smile, thumb moving over the white porcelain of his cup. “It’s quite alright, Kibum. I’ve come to terms with why I needed to leave and that no matter what my mother sent me away out of love. I miss her, them, terribly, but my people believe the spirits of those you love to protect you even if you no longer feel them around you. They were there when I heard that arrow and they’ll be there the next time I have to save you from something out of either of our hands.”

              Kibum smiled, quietly teasing, “What makes you so sure I wouldn’t be saving you for once?”

              Jinki gave him a pointed look before sipping his tea, gaze flicking to the fire, but said nothing. Kibum snorted. After a moment, Jinki quietly stated, “Thank you for giving me a home. I know my quarters aren’t much, but I haven’t felt safe enough to stay somewhere as long as I have here, since before my father died.”

              He wasn’t sure what to say. Jinki was looking at him in a way he hadn’t seen before, warm and soft around the edges, trusting. It made a lump form in Kibum’s throat he had to swallow down, hiding his face by dipping down to quietly mumble, “No need to thank me for that.”

              “But still I do.” Jinki hummed as he finished his cup of tea, a glint in his eye over the rim when Kibum rose his gaze once again. Soon Kibum would retire to bed, Jinki residing outside of his door until his replacement came so he could get some rest. Until then, both would enjoy the warmth of the room and the sweetness of conversation with a dear friend.

------

              Kibum’s sister, Princess Sonkyu, was turning 18, and Jinki was sure every single available bachelor in all the nearby Kingdoms were descending upon the castle in droves. He almost wanted to ask Kibum if he could be exempt from going, but he couldn’t trust anyone else protecting him during such a hell fest as a ball was for a guard. At the moment, Kibum was sitting in his smaller throne to the left of his Father’s, watching his Sister be twirled around the room by different young men as the dance progressed. His annoyance should be obvious to anyone, but to Jinki it was especially so. Forgetting the sense of duty and what was expected of them, he stepped forward and gently laid his hand on Kibum’s shoulder. When Kibum looked over at him, slightly alarmed, the Prince softened. “Is something wrong, Jinki?”

              “No, but,” Jinki gave the King a quick glance before whispering with a little smile, “Do you want to get out of here, Your Highness?”

              “More than anything.”

              “Than follow me. We can slip out onto the back balcony.”

              Kibum squinted, voice hush still. “Are you trying to kidnap me, Jinki Lee?”

              “Quite so.” Jinki gave a cheeky grin. “Are you coming or not, Your Highness?”

              In reply, he casted his Father once more glance, making sure he wasn’t looking, before he quietly slipped from his seat, taking Jinki’s hand and following him through the thick curtains behind them. The glass door of the private balcony was closed and it wasn’t until they reached the railing that their hands fell to their sides once again. The summer sky was beautiful, the sun setting in the distance casting the entire Kingdom it seemed in it’s warm, pink and orange light.  It was there that Kibum noticed Jinki softened around the edges, leaning against the stone of the railing, eyes falling close to enjoy the breeze. He had to quickly look away from his daze when Jinki’s head began to turn toward him. He tapped his fingers against the balcony, nervous for some unknown reason, before asking, “Was my boredom so loud that you could notice it without even seeing my face?”

              “I could have been on the other side of the castle and I’d have known.” Jinki laughed quietly. “You hate parties like this, after a while. Your enjoyment ran out right around the time the cake was cut.”

              Kibum shook his head, almost fond, not wanting to know how Jinki knew him oh so well. “Well, thank you for getting me out of there.”

              “Is it not my duty to protect you, even if it’s from frilly dresses and that violinist who can’t seem to play his piece without being shrill?” Jinki hummed, content as he gazed out at the horizon. “You know, I can almost smell the sea. I spent so much time on it before finding that caravan that brought me here. I sort of miss it.”

              “We’ll have to go some time.”

              “You make it sound like we can just go saddle the horses and ride out of here.”

              Kibum shrugged, leaning against the railing, so close if he leaned just a bit their shoulders would be touching completely. His voice sounded almost sad when he spoke, longing. “Sometimes I wish I could.”

              “Do you not enjoy being a Prince, Kibum?” Jinki softly asked, head turned just enough to look at him.

              “Most of the time. I know I have so much more than I could ask for. It’s the treatment, the fake smiles out of respect, not knowing if someone is my friend because they like me for me or because they’re worried I’ll order their head to be taken from their shoulders. It’s not being able to go into town without an entire squadron of guards and only have the worry of a normal citizen of being robbed. Normal stuff, ya’ know?” Kibum sighed. He lifted a hand to pull his crown from his head, laying it on a bench beside them, before returning. His head lowered until his chin was basically against his chest, and he was watching as his fingers fidgeted with the chip in the stone of the railing. “It’s why having only you as my guard means so much to me. I don’t feel any less safe, most of the time more so, but I feel more like a normal being. Like I have more freedom than if I didn’t have you.”

              Silence falls between them, but it’s not awkward or tense, just warm. Jinki is the one to break it when he leans just enough until his shoulder brushes Kibum’s, causing the young man to look at him. The image awaiting him is Jinki smiling, cast in such a golden glow from the setting sun. “If it’s any constellation, Kibum, I do care for you because I want to, not because I fear you’ll take my head. You’re my friend because of what makes you Kibum, not because of that Crown.”

              “Being with you is the one place I feel free, Jinki.” He warmly confessed, voice falling to an almost whisper as he lost his courage toward the end. To taken the seriousness out of the atmosphere, he cracked a joke. “I don’t think you’d let me take your head, even if I wanted.”

              “Oh, definitely not.” Jinki grinned. His smile softened then, a light chuckle to his voice. “You don’t have to joke to hide behind your feelings Kibum. Did you know that the rumor around the servant quarters is that I used to be an elite assassin?”

              Kibum snorted, that not being anywhere near where he thought the conversation was going. “You can’t be serious.”

              “Completely. They heard me curse in my native tongue and they all scattered.” His expression fell then and Kibum felt his sadness so prominent he was sure he could reach out and touch it with his hand. “It’s not the same as the way you feel being a Prince, but I do understand what it’s like to be feared for who, or what, people think you are.”

              “I hadn’t known about it.” Kibum pressed his lips in a thin line. “I can say something if you’d like.”

              Jinki shook his head, a soft smile on his face as he gazed out on the horizon. “I don’t quite think that would help either of our causes, Kibum, but thank you. You always seem to be protecting me without realizing.”

              “I doubt it.” He scoffed, turning away.

              “But you do.” Jinki reached over to squeeze his hand, but only for a moment before pulling away and returning to his place beside him. “You protected me when you came to get me from my cell and offered me this job. You could have very well have just left me to rot for murdering your attackers, but you didn’t. You protected me from your Father’s judgemental gaze and even when I told off Hyunji. Both of which I could have been dismissed from your service for. While it’s different than my physical protection of you, you still protect me all the time. You shouldn’t, mind you, but I have a feeling I couldn’t convince you not to even if I tried.”

              Kibum opened his mouth to speak, but shut it quickly when he realized he had no idea what to say to that. Instead, he hummed, and replied. “You’re right. You couldn’t.”

              There was another brush of their shoulders and when he looked over Jinki was softly smiling, just a slight curve to his lips. Maybe parties weren’t so bad after all.

------

              There was still a month to his own birthday, and yet presents had been arriving for weeks now from Kingdom’s near and far. Kibum hadn’t opened any of them yet, instead, having servants place them in one of his empty rooms to be looked through at another time. He usually gave most away to charity, keeping a few that interested him, or ones that he’d have to have if the gifter ever came to visit. There was one, however, that he did open as soon as he received it.

              It was in a small, white velvet pull tie bag, on his nightstand. Near it was a note with his name on it in Jinki’s language. He realized quickly he had somehow woken up a few hours before sunrise, and he wondered when Jinki had placed the gift. Propped up on his elbow, he opened the note carefully. I know it’s not much, but it means a lot to me to give something such as this to you ~ Jinki

              His curiosity was growing so big it was threatening to overflow as he laid the note on the table and pulled open the bag. Reaching in he felt soft to the touch string and then a wooden pendant. Flipping it over he squinted to get a good look at it from the dim light given off from the moon through his window. The dark wood of the pendant had a character engraved on the front. In Jinki’s language, it represented C’ovous. Safety. A smile grew across his features as he ran a thumb over the small, but meaningful, present. He placed the bag on the table by the note before pulling the necklace over his head.

              As he fell asleep again it rested against his chest.

-----

              He didn’t fail to notice the big smile on Jinki’s face when he saw the pendant around his neck the night of his birthday party. He had reacted similarly a couple hours the morning Kibum received it, when he came in to start his shift. Still, Jinki forced himself to have a blank face, looking through a book far too quickly to really be getting anything from it’s pages, asking, “Shouldn’t you be wearing something more formal?”

              “If I have to wear that God Forsaken Crown that’s been two sizes too small, I can wear the one gift I’ve received this year that means something.” Kibum’s attention then fell on his reflection in the mirror before he sighed, satisfied. “Come. Festivities await and I’ve passed the point of being reasonably late to my own party.”

              Which they didn’t stay very long at. It was an innocent glance behind him as he sipped his little bit of wine he was allowed. Anyone else would have thought Kibum was just taking a look around the room, but Jinki knew it meant he wanted to leave as soon as possible. For the next few songs, he looked for a way out, to leave without being considered rude. It happened when Kibum fell into step with him, whispering about how he had to use the restroom. Jinki hid his smile easily, nodding curtly and saying, loud enough for people near them to hear, but quiet enough he wasn’t broadcasting it. “This way Your Highness.”

              It was some time before they reached a part of the castle that was barely lit, and off limits from the party goers. Immediately Kibum lost the high chin confidence he had be expertly exuding. “I can’t wait to get out of this cage of a costume.”

              “Just a little bit longer, Kibum.”

              He flashed a small, kind smile. “Thanks for getting me out of there. Again.”

              In silent response, Jinki squeezed his hand, and he could feel the warmth of his grip even as the young man had long ago let go.

----