End.

Insomniac

How do you forget someone who has given you so much to remember? All those vivid and pleasant memories were deeply etched in her heart, threatening to spillover every now and then but she managed to control it and bury it back in the deepest trench of her heart.

So why is Irene Bae reaching out to her phone in the pitch-black darkness at 2am in the morning?

Irene heaved a sigh when the edges of her fingertips felt that rectangular piece of biological cell. Curling her fingers to have a stronger grip, she unlocked her phone. That emergent glaring light screamed at her and temporarily hurt her eyes, prewarning that it was all a bad idea but she ignored those warning signs anyway. After dimming the phone’s lighting to the minimum, she punched in that familiar set of numbers. When she was about to press that call button, that small bit of sanity called out to her and she hesitated. But her emotions were far stronger to heed that small piece of sanity.

She went ahead and pressed the “call” button and waited, knowing that the recipient would get the message, as usual.

“Hyun? Are you having trouble sleeping again?”

Irene’s heart skipped a beat whenever she hears that person’s pleasantly soft and gentle voice, especially when she was called “Hyun”. Late nights always made Irene more emotionally vulnerable and hearing her favourite voice calling her by her favoured nickname made her soft.

Irene snapped out of her daze when the recipient was seemingly quiet, evidently waiting for her response.

“Wan, the sleeping pills ran out-”

“Hyun, I rather you not rely on those pills anymore. I’d rather…”

Irene heard a deep swallow being taken, followed by a deep sigh.

“… I’d rather you call me like this.”

Irene always had trouble falling asleep at night and have been taking prescribed sleeping pills on an on and off basis. When she was together with Wendy, she was able to sleep a little better, sometimes even making do without the sleeping pills.

After the breakup, it was inevitable that Irene returned to the pills for comfort and better sleep.

“Wan, sing me to sleep?”

Wendy hummed in response.

“I was producing music for my upcoming project earlier, so I brought the guitar back, let me play it for you too.”

Wendy’s melodious voice and those beautiful strumming sounds mashed so well together, it put a smile on Irene’s face.

A smile that Wendy would never get to see.

As expected, after a while, Irene’s eyes got droopier and Wendy heard Irene’s breathing sounds getting draggier from the connected call.

Wendy understood the cue and sang even softer until light snores was heard before she stopped.

She looked at the phone and the recipient’s name with a sad smile. The reciepient’s name was displayed as “My dearest Hyun”. Although they have broken up for a while, Wendy couldn’t bring it to herself to change the contact name or to delete her number. She shook her head for awhile to get rid of those thoughts before turning in as well, with their phones still connected.

The next morning, their eyes met in the long corridor. But both broke off the eye contact in a split second and got on with her next schedule. They walked past each other with their respective clique wordlessly and ignored each other’s presence by walking past each other as if they were strangers…

…until the next phonecall late at night again.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: HI ALL IM BACK FOR AWHILE FOR THIS ONE-SHOT! I was having insomnia so this random plot came to my mind and i decided to just go ahead and write it. It's a little short but I hope this story will be comforting to all those who're having insomnia too..