The Birthday Song (Yuju)

Your Song

Song: Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts



                Every member’s birthday is always celebrated with Buddies as they hold a small fan meeting where they’d just sit and talk with them. And that’s where they are now. The hall was filled with a hundred chosen Buddies, Gfriend seated in front of them with a small, round table where a cake was set with 22 candles lit on it.

On the other while, a birthday song is something that is never missed in Gfriend’s every birthday celebration. Not the “Happy Birthday to you” which is of course so natural to be sung in every birthday party, not that but the ones rendered for the fans- the Buddies. Yuju breathe deep as she steadied herself in her place. She doesn’t know why but she is unusually nervous at the moment- more nervous than when she’s on stage performing in music shows and events. Maybe it’s because, it’s the Buddies that’s in front of her now, anticipating for that song she’s about to sing or maybe it’s because of the thought that she might get too emotional with the song and might not be able to finish it.

Yuju’s fidgeting on her seat of course didn’t go unnoticed by her leader who mouthed something to her seatmate. Eunha realized what was meant by Sowon when she eyed the birthday girl beside her trying to calm herself. The sight made Eunha smile, Yuju was like a lost puppy trying not to cry.

“Yuju-yah, fighting,” Eunha whispered to Yuju while gently caressing her hair. “Relax,” she then chuckled.

“Yeah,” Yuju took a breath so deep Eunha could be inhaled with it. “Please back me up if I can’t do it,” she then plead to the lead vocal.

“Oh, our Yupup is so cute,” Eunha cooed. “You can do it Choi Yuju, you wouldn’t need a backup,” Eunha nudged her side.

“Please,” she pleaded more.

“Okay. Okay,” Eunha giggled seeing how nervous their main vocal is. “Hakuna matata,” she then whispered in a singsong.

“What a wonderful phrase,” one of the Buddies sang along. Little did Eunha know, her lapel mic had suddenly when she was whispering that short line of the song to Yuju. That line was their mantra way back their trainee days. Hearing the Buddies sing, Sinb and Umji who are the MCs at the moment added to the lines.

“Hakuna matata. Ain't no passing craze,” they both sang swaying their arms above their head.

“Hakuna matata?” This time it was Sowon saying Simba’s line acting curious.

“It means no worries

For the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy”

Everyone sang along and that surely made Yuju relax- a bit. Eunha and Yerin who are both sitting beside her squeezed each of her hand- Yerin being the extra that she is, even massaged her arms.

 

After the Happy Birthday song was happily sung for Yuju, and a few message from Buddies and her members were spoken, it was now time for Yuju to render her song to Buddies. Warily, she stood up as she grabbed the microphone handed to her by their manager. With a few deep breaths and a silent “Yuju fighting” from her members behind her, Yuju started to talk.

 

“A-a-annyeo-oong Buddies,” she greeted with a stutter. “Whoa, I’m sorry I’m really nervous today,” she then let out a few giggles.

“Yuju, *gwaenchanha!” a buddy shouted.

“Kamsahamnida,” she replied with a curt nod. “Ahm, what I’m going to sing today is actually something that really caught my attention the moment I heard the first line. I was passing by a bakery actually when I heard this and it made me stop and listen. Listening to it, it feels like I am the one singing the song, I mean, it was like my story from where I was and where I am now was in this song. I hope you’d listen to it well and I could sing it as well.”

“Also, this song is not just for Buddies but also for my members who are with me through good and tough times.” She smiled to her members. With that, she let out another breath, shaking her hands a bit and the music started. Memories flashed in her eyes as she started to sing the first line.

 

I set out on a narrow way many years ago

Hoping I would find true love along the broken road

                (Her passion to sing that made her dream of becoming a singer that led her to take voice lessons and even learning to play guitar. The struggles of being a trainee jumping from one agency to another hoping that one day in one of those, she’d be able to achieve her dreams.)

               

But I got lost a time or two

Wiped my brow and kept pushing through

(Oh those times when she felt like her efforts didn’t pay. That moment when someone said “A-a-aniya” to her dancing skills. How pathetic she saw herself at that very moment of her life.)

I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

(But of course, just like how her Yerin unnie would always say, “Your efforts won’t betray you.” Everything happens with a reason, for a reason.)

Every long lost dream led me to where you are

 

(She then remembered the moment when she was introduced to other trainees, how she had felt that it’s where she belong, and indeed it is as they are now her members who love her so unconditionally. Her eyes warmed as tears threaten to fall when she remembered a certain letter she first received from a same-aged friend who was new in their group back then.)

 

Others who broke my heart they were like Northern Stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

 

(How cheesy the letter was but it surely gave warmth in her heart. And that one letter became two the next day and then three and then seven a week. Yes, every day, she’ll receive a letter from Eunha- that time she was Jung Eunbi, her same-aged friend who always cling, seeking comfort from her.)

 

This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road

 

(And would she forget how happy she was the first time they met Buddies? It was so overwhelming she just managed to open and then close again as no words enough to describe her feelings, would come out.)

 

That led me straight to you

(Yes He did)

 

(But of course, not everything after debut would always be okay. No, struggles do come anytime- they are inevitable.)

I think about the years I spent just passing through

I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you

 

(Regrets here and there. If only I did this and if only I did that. If only I was better. Yes, Yuju would lie to say she didn’t have those. The hard times she had when she thought she lost her voice came rushing in her thoughts.)

But you just smile and take my hand

You've been there you understand

(And those moments she thought her members doesn’t know when she cried alone. How silly of her to think they were oblivious. Of course they knew. Oh, how grateful she felt when her leader came to her one night, hugging her tightly. No word was said, just the comfort of her embrace was enough for Yuju to breakdown and let out all her frustrations.)

(And those times when Buddies tell them they are loved no matter what, oh how grateful she really is.)

It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

(“Yes, it was” she told herself.)

(“Yes it was” Eunha sang the adlib)

 

Every Long lost dream led me to where you are

                She stared lovingly to Buddies. Her song expressed her message of gratitude.

Others who broke my heart they were like Northern Stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

                This time, she faced her members. Each one of them now, has a tissue in a hand, wiping tears off their eyes but a smile also adorned each tear-stricken face.

This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road

That led me straight to you

                Sniffing, everyone got up and gave Yuju a loud applause. Her members approached her and engulfed her in a group hug.

                “And God blessed the broken road that led us straight to you.” It was Eunha who then rubbed her cheeks with Yuju’s.

 

 

*gwaenchanha- it’s okay

 

 

A/N: Anyone guessed the title right? Hope you like this one.

Happy Birthday Choi Yuna! (1004)