Savage and Sweet (UmB)

Your Song

Song: Shoulder to Shoulder by Carly Simon [OST to Winnie the Pooh: Heffalump Adventure]




    “I didn’t know, a song could somehow seem funny though it was meant to be serious,” Sinb was giggling as she inserted one of her earbuds to Umji’s ear. Umji just stared at her, complying with the action but somehow raised a brow to her friend. She knew the other had been listening to the same song for quite some time now as she heard her hum the same melody for the past hour. “Why does she just find it funny now?” she wondered.


    “I think it’s the same song as last night.” Umji rack her head as she’s sure it was the same melody she heard the night before.


    “What did you say, *Muji?” Sinb asked her.


    “Ah, nothing.”

   “Cha, listen, it’s quite funny if we do some sort of commentary on this,” Sinb grinned widely as she pressed the play button. She sure is starting to get hyped up though not because of the song as Umji heard it as somewhat melodious and a melancholic one at that.


    “I like the instrumentation,” Umji hummed.


    “Not that, the lyrics. Listen well.” Sinb pointed out, a grin still visible in her face but her eyes are closed as if lost in her world.


We stand shoulder to shoulder


“This can’t really be true with Sowon unnie and Eunha unnie, can it?” Sinb remarked making Umji giggle. Now Umji realized what she meant. They covered their mouth giggling in their own bubble.


We see eye to eye.


“Well, this can be true for them.” This time it was Umji. “That’s how Sowon unnie got double chins by the way, staring down at Eunha unnie.” They playfully slapped each other holding on to their laughter.


When one of us, gets a tiny bit tired
The other gives one a ride…

“I think it’s just Sowon unnie though.”

“That’s what I’m gonna say,” snickered Umji and this time both burst out laughing out loud making the other girls look in their direction. They were in the practice room just lazing around after their practice which was actually an hour ago but no one dared to get up after lying down.

“Did I just hear my name? You two, talking about me?” Sowon called out from across the room which the two maknaes just ignored as they are still laughing so hard. The leader sighed with a huff but just let the two off her hook seeing them, lost in their own.
    
    “I’m just glad they’re both cool now,” Sinb eyed the other side of the room. Sowon’s still glaring at them but unmoving as Eunha’s head is on her lap. “That bunny unnie can’t just spend her day being mad with that giraffe.”

    “Because then, she can’t have a free ride,” Umji blurted laughing again.

 

I’ve never had a best friend before
So I can’t be sure
What it feels like

 

The song had actually replayed while they were laughing and just how they started laughing so suddenly, the lyrics had them quiet just as suddenly too. Umji snuggled closer to her friend resting her head on the other’s shoulder.

“But I think it feels more like this
I think I feel more like myself
When I’m with you”

 

    Sinb sang softly, only for Umji to hear. Her thoughts ran through those years they’ve spent together, their first meeting, how she was cold to the other at first but then decided later to accept the other as friend. Through those years, she realized how Umji became the sister she never had and the confidant she would never ever replace.

“I see why you want me to listen to this so badly,” Umji whispered to her friend whose eyes are directed to the ceiling lost in the song. Or more likely, in her thoughts.

“Making a bond that is strong
Building a house for our friendship
Breathing a breath for our song”

 

“You’ve memorized it, huh?” Umji poked Sinb’s side, a gentle giggle escaped . “Yahh, Hwang Eunbi, what’s with you suddenly?”

“*Keunyang,” Sinb replied with a shrug, her eyes still on the ceiling. I just want you to know, I will be your best friend if you want but if not I will always stand beside you. No matter what.
“I know,” Umji said. “I know you’ll always stand by me,” she looked at Sinb in the eyes. “You always do, to us.”
“Was my mind that loud?” Sinb asked confused. Or did I just speak my mind?
“I know you Eunbi.” came Umji’s reply. More than how you think I know you.

 




*Muji- short for Omuji; sometimes Sinb calls Umji that
*Keunyang – no reason/just because

A/N: this story is somehow related to With the Maknaes =) since I can't update that for the mean time, accept my peace offering  =)