Zone 2: Astronomy Club – Deep Space

Ghostdrive Series

Zone 2: Astronomy Club – Deep Space

 

Class 2-B Room, Aokigahara Girls’ High School, Fujikawaguchiko Town, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 3:15 pm

After the school bell rung, the students of class 2-B put their things in their respective bags and met with each other to talk about their plans. Akimoto Manatsu was putting her things in her slingbag when one of her closest friends, Miyazaki Miho, approached her.

“Manattan, before we go to our clubroom, would you come with us to the gymnasium?” Miho asked her friend.

“And why?” Manatsu raised her brow with curious question.

“We have heard from some of the students from class 1-B that Kazumin challenged Nanase-chan for exhibition match. Hope you’re interested to watch along with us.” Miho winked at her.

“Nah, I’ll pass. I need to finish all of my homework before going to our observatory.” As soon as Manatsu was going to pick her two textbooks, Miho already had her left arm taken.

“Not so fast, genius girl. You’re going with me. And don’t even think speedblitzing me. Aside from holding your arm.” Miho smirked.

“Really, Myao? You’re terribly mad.” Manatsu sighed in defeat. She knew that she can’t escape from Miho’s grasp.

“I’m not called ‘Mad Dog’ for nothing. Now let’s go, shall we?” Miho smiled innocently while pulling Manatsu out of the classroom. They saw Mai going downstairs from the upper floor.

“Oh, Maiyan! Where are you going?” Miho asked.

“Going to gymnasium. Both of you too?” Mai asked.

“Myao wants to go. And I’m being forcibly pulled by her.” Manatsu said.

“Well then, shall we?” The three girls went down to the stairs.

Haa~. I guess I don’t have any choice, do I?’ Manatsu sighed. ‘Although, the girl did pique my interest. Nishino Nanase, the last member of the Nishino Bloodline.

 

Kendo Dojo, Aokigahara Girls’ High School, Fujikawaguchiko Town, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 3:20 pm

After adjusting her navy blue keikogi and black hakama, Nanase went to the sword rack and looked at the possible choices in arsenal.

Let see. They have many variants of bokken, suburitou, and shinai.’ Nanase chose her own weapon for the sparring match.

“And here I thought that the Kendo Club is the same as the other clubs in Japan. To think they have a bokken made of Isunoki wood.” Nanase tested its capability by swinging it up and down. While she consciously controlled her strength, there are a few leakages of that, such as when a small shockwave, generated from her swing, shaked the rack slightly. Nanase noticed it and checked behind her just in case someone was watching her.

“Oopsie. I think my preparations are done. Time to meet my opponent.” Nanase went to the doorway that leads to the dojo’s main hall.

Her classmate and current opponent, Takayama Kazumi, is waiting in the middle of the main hall, along with Ozono Momoko, who is holding a white flag, standing beside her. Both of them are wearing kendo uniform.

“I told you, she didn’t wear armor.” Kazumi said.

“But why is she not wearing armor?” Momoko said.

“Leaving aside injuries that we will receive after this, she wants more mobility and degrees of freedom. And based on my analysis, she’s very agile. I saw it in the classroom when she immediately placed her headphones on her ears, as Fukagawa-sensei’s hand is 1 centimeter away from the table.” Kazumi explained.

“And besides, this will make the sparring match more exciting. Look, she chose an Isunoki-woodcrafted bokken.” Kazumi smiled.

On the spectator seats, Yuria, Ikumi and Nanami are sitting on the front seat.

“Nanase-chan appeared. And it looks like Kazumin’s getting fired up.” Yuria said.

“Well, both of them are wielding Isunoki bokken. Of course, she’s getting fired up.” Ikumi rolled her eyes.

“Hey look, the Student Council are here.” Nanami said as she pointed on her right side.

“Well, Kazumin is also a member of the Student Council.” Yuria said.

“Hey, friends. Thanks for reserving our seats.” The three girls looked behind and saw Miyuki, Rena, Mai, Miho and Manatsu. They went to the reserved front seats. Ikumi raised her eyebrow when she saw Miho holding Manatsu’s arm.

“Really, Myao-senpai?” Ikumi narrowed her eyes.

“Well, here we are. So…” Miho unfurled her hold to Manatsu.

“Finally, my arm is free.” Manatsu shook her left arm as she glared at Miho.

“So the Student Council are here to cheer for Kazumin? Or are they also interested in Nanase-chan?” Mai said.

“I think it’s both. Well, aside from Misamisa cheering like a wota.” Rena said. She saw Yuria sighing.

“Doua no, Yuria-chan?” Rena asked.

“To think that she’s here eh?” Yuria stared at a certain person beside Yumi. Rena then looked at the Reika’s group and saw the person that Yuria mentioned, she then patted Yuria’s shoulder.

“Guys, it looks like they are ready.” Mai said as they saw Kazumi and Nanase standing in front of each other with their bokken in sageto position (holding the sword at the left side of the body). Momoko stood between Kazumi and Nanase. After the two combatants bow, Momoko explained the rules of their match.

“This is the exhibition sparring match between 5th dan Kendo and Aokigahara Girls’ High School Kendo Club Vice-president Takayama Kazumi and 6th dan Kenjutsu Nishino Nanase. This match will feature two combatants and their own skills, Takayama Kazumi in Kendo and Nishino Nanase in Iaijutsu. As such, no Kendo practitioners presented here should copy this fight, as it would cause injuries. Due to different sword martial arts presented in this match, there would be neither rules nor scoring system included. Hence, this match will end by my signal. Are we all clear?” Momoko said.

“Hai!”

“Hajime!” As soon as Momoko left the court, both combatants put themselves in their battle stances, Kazumi in Chuudan-no-kamae (middle-level stance) and Nanase in Tachi-ai (standing stance). Both combatants slowly walking in circles, trying to measure each other’s strength.

Let’s try this.’ Kazumi rose her bokken then followed it by a downward slash. “Yah!”

“Tsk.” Nanase replied by a quick draw sideward slash of her bokken, clashing it with Kazumi’s. The clash of their wooden sword emitted a small shockwave, but not even the audience, save for Rena’s group and Student Council, noticed it. The audience cheered loudly. Kazumi performed a series of slashes, however, Nanase parried all of it. Nanase then increased the strength of her swing, causing Kazumi to be sent backwards. Nanase saw her right hand twitching slightly.

She’s using both hands. Okay then, time to switch style.’ Nanase removed her left hand from left hip. Then, she used both hands to hold her bokken and placed her wooden sword right on her lower left side.

“Nanase-chan’s using Waki-no-kamae stance. She’s using the Kenjutsu style.” Mai said.

Switching from Iaijutsu to Kenjutsu, eh. Now I can see why you label yourself as a freestyle swordfighter.’ Kazumi performed a downward swing, which Nanase parried with a diagonal upward swing. Kazumi then did a leg sweep to strike Nanase’s feet. Just as Nanase saw an incoming sweeping slash, she sideflipped it instead of jumping. After her landing on her feet, Nanase rotated around to perform a high-momentum sideward slash. Kazumi tried to deflect it, but instead it caused her to skid slightly due to the amount of force she received. After a couple of slashes, both of their wooden swords are locked.

“Now this is getting interested. Do you think so too, Kazumi-san?” Nanase smirked.

“You betcha. Now then, shall we get slightly serious?” As Kazumi pushed away, she dashed forward and instantly disappeared in front of Nanase.

“Eh? She disappeared?” “Where did she go?” Some audiences murmured about Kazumi’s disappearance.

Shukuchi?! From behind!’ Nanase turned around to counter Kazumi’s upward swing from behind. Most of the audience were shocked from Kazumi’s appearance behind Nanase.

“Kazumi using Shukuchi technique. Wow, she’s serious now.” Manatsu clapped.

“Really, Kazumi-chan? Shukuchi in the front of normal audience?” Nanami shook her head.

Their wooden swords were locked again as Nanase looked at Kazumi with surprised eyes.

“So, you know about Shukuchijutsu.” Kazumi smiled.

“Of course, no any martial artists can’t recognize that famous speed technique. However…” Nanase pushed Kazumi’s sword. Then Kazumi unleashed a high-speed downward slash.

“You’re not the only one.” Kazumi’s sword met the ground. Then she saw Nanase’s position empty.

“EH?! Nishino-san too?!” The audience are totally in shock. Suddenly, Nanase appeared beside Kazumi as she released sideward slash with her left hand holding the sword. Kazumi, while in shock, jumped sideway to avoid the slash.

“Now this just escalated quickly.” Kazumi smirked then instantly appeared behind Nanase after disappearing from her position. In split-second, Nanase instantly went behind Kazumi’s back. Kazumi turned around to counter Nanase’s high-speed slash.

On the audience seats, all spectators are watching as the high-speed fight unfolds.

“This is getting out of control. We were surprised that Nanase can also use Shukuchijutsu, but to think that they will use it constantly in front of normal spectators. I hope that Momoko-chan will end this right away.” Rena said.

“Momoko can’t seem to find the right timing to end this match. Unless…” Miyuki didn’t finished her sentence.

Momoko stood from her seat as she ready her white flag. Just as Kazumi and Nanase prepare their final blow, Momoko quickly pushed her feet to the ground and instantly appeared between the two fighters.

“Stop!” Momoko shouted.

“It takes Shukuchi just to end the match. Nice tactics, Momoko-chan.” Minami clapped.

“It’s amazing that Nishino-san can proficiently use Shukuchijutsu.” Yumi said.

Momoko’s shout causing both fighters to stop their last blow midway, with Kazumi’s sword pointing at Nanase’s neck while Nanase’s sword pointing at Kazumi’s chest.

Wow, I never thought this match would escalate like this. I’m surprised at myself.’ Nanase thought. As both combatants stood in front of each other, Nanase took a glance at Momoko.

Momoko-chan can also use Shukuchi.

“Rei!” Momoko said. Kazumi and Nanase bowed to each other.

A normal Shukuchu is just a sudden movement into the opponent’s blind spot to attack. In opponent’s vision, the attacker looks like he’s teleporting due that he can’t follow the attacker’s speed; but in audience vision, the attacker only avoids the opponent’s field of vision, so the audience were still able to follow the attacker’s movement. However, in Kazumi-san and Momoko-chan’s case, their Shukuchi allow them to disappear even to the audience’s eyes.’ Nanase shook her hands with Kazumi’s.

Furthermore, even a full-powered kick to the ground can only make you jump longer. Not even Usain Bolt, the fastest sprinter in the world with a running top speed of 12.42 m/s, can disappear instantly. Additionally, it takes at least 343.21 m/s2 to disappear instantly from everyone’s sight; and no normal human being can withstand the force 35 times greater than Earth’s gravitational acceleration, unless they want their body to be shredded into million pieces from air’s frictional force. Unless…’ Nanase went to her temporary locker to change.

Either they are not normal human, or not human.

 

Kendo Dojo, Aokigahara Girls’ High School, Fujikawaguchiko Town, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 4:30 pm

As soon as Nanase done changing to her usual attire, and went to the door, she was bombarded with cheers from the students. Her classmates, Hoshino Minami and Takayama Kazumi helped Nanase by barricading between the students and her.

“Hai! Hai! Fangirling’s over. Let Nanase-chan pass through.” Minami said.

“That was fun, wasn’t it, Nanase?” Kazumi asked.

“Yup. Thanks for the match, Kazumin.” Nanase bowed then left the dojo.

 As she enter the school’s hallway, Nanase saw Yuria and her seniors approaching her.

“Wow, Nanase-chan. I never thought you’re proficient in Shukuchijutsu. You’ve even predicted Kazumin’s position when she disappeared.” Yuria said.

“It was nothing.” Nanase humbly said.

“So you must be Nanase, eh. I’m Shiraishi Mai from Class 2-B.“ Mai offered her hand.

“Nice to meet you, Shiraishi-senpai.” Nanase replied to the handshake.

“I’m Miyazaki Miho, same class as Maiyan. That’s Shiraishi-chan’s nickname.” Miho said.

“Really, Myao? Adding ‘-chan’ to my surname?” Mai glared at Miho.

“And this large-headed alien person is Akimoto Manatsu, she’s the same class as me.” Mai teased Manatsu.

“Why are you always teasing me about my head?” Manatsu then touched her head. Then she looked at Nanase carefully as if she’s an important specimen for a laboratory.

“What’s with Akimoto-senpai?” Nanase whispered to Ikumi.

“Dunno.” Ikumi shrugged.

Nishino Nanase’s base-speed Shukuchi is slightly faster than Maiyan’s. When applying the equation of full-strength, I can assume that their top speeds are equal, though I’m faster than Maiyan even at top speed. Nanase’s agility and reflex are faster than I’ve expected to be able to block Kazumin’s attack from behind and avoid the supersonic slash with the sword as it’s 1 millimeter away from Nanase’s skin. This means…’ As Nanase and the rest are walking back to their classroom to pick their bag, one student accidentally bumped to Nanase.

“Sumimasen dea.” The student said before she left the group.

“Is that? Tanaka-san?” Nanase asked.

“Yup. Tanaka Miku, same class as ours. I’ve heard she’s skipped two grades due to the fact that she’s academically accelerated.” Nanami explained.

“Two grades? No wonder that I’ve mistaken her as a middle schooler. Just how smart is she?”

“She learnt Differential and Integral Calculus in her 5th grade and Ordinary and Partial Differential Equation in 6th grade. Due to having perfect marks in mathematics and science in our school’s entrance exam, she’s among the top 10 smartest students in Aokigahara Girls’ High School.” Manatsu explained.

“Top 10? Who are they?” Nanase asked.

“I don’t know the particular order but the top 10 smartest students in our school are: Nakada Kana, Akimoto Manatsu, Nagahama Neru, Yonetani Nanami, Matsui Rena, Takayama Kazumi, Wakatsuki Yumi, Nakamoto Himeka, Tanaka Miku, and Yabuki Nako.” Mai answered.

“About Yabuki Nako, she will go to school next week because she’s taking care of something in her hometown, according to Hoshimina-chan.” Yuria said, in which Nanase nodded.

“By the way, is it time to go to our clubroom?” Rena asked.

“Oh shoot. Let’s go, guys.” Mai said.

“See you, Nanase-chan!” Ikumi said. Nanase picked up her things and left the empty classroom. As soon as she passed the school gate, she narrowed her eyes.

Club activities in evening? So there’s an Astronomy Club here, eh? Interesting, might want to join since I love astronomy.’ Nanase arrived at the dormitory. The Aokigahara Girls’ Dormitory is 200 meter away from her school. Like the school, the dormitory is sitting in the middle of the forest. To make the creepiness worse, the dormitory has a Neo-Gothic theme. In spite of that, the dormitory has an asphalt road that connects to the main road.

I wonder who my dormmate is.

 

Astronomy Club’s Clubhouse, Aokigahara Girls’ High School, Fujikawaguchiko Town, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 6:00 pm

Ikumi used 2.5-meter long, 500-millimeter diameter Ritchey–Chrétien reflecting telescope, the main telescope in the Astronomy Club’s observatory, to look under the twilight sky. Even though there’s still light coming from the setting sun, stars appeared drastically. The reflecting telescope has an angular resolution of 0.25 arc seconds. With some state-of-the-art technologies attached to the telescope, it can clearly show image as far Alpha Centauri Star.

“Care to tell me what you found?” Ikumi saw Miho approaching.

“Aside from Jupiter passing by, nothing else.” Ikumi went to the computer table and pressed a few keys. After that, the large telescope is slowly retracting itself as the dome’s roof door closes. Then later, Ikumi went to Miho and quickly snatched the clipboard.

“What the?”

“Well then, shall we go to the meeting? Ikumin is gonna need this to write something.” Ikumi then stuck her tongue out at Miho.

“Fine, suit yourself. I have no choice, do I?” Miho sighed.

“And what’s with using third-person to refer to yourself?”

“It’s a habit. Ikumin is still trying to use first-person pronouns, so yeah.” Ikumi said. Both of them walked down the spiral stairs to the main control room where the rest of the club are for finalizing the preparation.

“Well, it looks like we’re ready.” Mai said.

“Ok, my fellow clubmates. We will go to Shoji Village for deep space stargazing at 12:00 midnight. For now, let’s rest at the dormitory.”

“As for the plan, Manatsu and I will prepare the equipment. Maiyan and Milky, both of you will be our sentry guards and your task is to protect everything from incoming interference. Nanami and Ikumi, search for any clues regarding the anomaly presented. Lastly, for Myao, create an intrusion alarm in case something is approaching. Is everything clear?” Rena asked.

“Hai!” All of the present club members shouted.

“Then, let’s go Astronomy Club!”

“OHH~!”