Zone 1: Sea of Trees

Ghostdrive Series

Zone 1: Sea of Trees

 

Class 2-B Room, Aokigahara Girls’ High School, Fujikawaguchiko Town, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 8:00 am

Two girls were sitting on the windowsill, looking at the students entering the school gate. Another one was leaning on it while looking at her iPhone. It looks like they were the only ones inside the classroom.

“Here comes the president. Trying to be cool as always.” Shiraishi Mai said.

“Well, we don’t blame it. It’s her responsibility as a model for the student body.” Matsui Rena reasoned out while eating her melonpan.

“I saw Sugai Yuuka and her own Porsche 911 GT2 RS, 20 meters away.” Akimoto Manatsu said while looking at Instagram. Just as she mentioned the name, a black Porsche car appeared in the entrance.

“As expected of our Club Secretary, your eyes are like an eagle’s even though you’re wearing glasses.” Mai said.

“Here comes the school director’s rich daughter.” Rena finished her bread as she took another one from her blazer’s pocket.

“Well, as far as I am concern, we also have a rich kid here, parred to Yuuka-chan.” Mai looked at her right side.

“Why are you looking at me? And am I the only rich kid here?” Manatsu sensed the gaze coming from her friends and looked at the two.

“Me? I’m just one of the owners of our bakery. Except that I provided the astronomical equipment.” Rena said.

“Oh no, our family is famous but not rich. Unlike you, your family owns a group of companies. And their daughter, who has a collection of firearms, ranging from small grenades to high-caliber machine guns.” Mai smirked.

“Don’t start with me, Maiyan. I’m busy here.” Manatsu went back to her smartphone.

“Here comes the three rich kids flexing their own wealth.” Miyazaki Miho appeared behind Manatsu and hugged her.

“Myao-chan, how long have you been there?” Mai asked.

“15 minutes ago, I was ordered by Takayanagi-sensei to feed the birds at the Aviary.”

“Is that?” Rena then pointed somewhere near the school gates. Her actions made her friends curious on where’s she pointing at.

“Two luggage bags, one backpack, and one 130 cm storage tube. Looks like she’s a transfer student.” Manatsu said. They then saw their friend perform an aerial flip above the transfer student and one aerial cartwheel upon reaching the ground.

“Really, Yuria? You should lessen staying up at night.” Miho facepalmed. Mai pulled out her smartphone in her pocket and typed a mail.

“Showoff.” She looked at the commotion on the school gate entrance. As her smartphone vibrated and read the mail, she saw Yuria sticking her tongue out.

Urusai na, Shiraishi-senpai.

“That face, I’ve seen her somewhere.” Rena tapping her head.

“Ah! I know her. She’s Nishino Nanase, the sole survivor of Nishino Clan.” Rena said.

“Nishino Clan? You mean, that Nishino Clan!?” Mai softly shouted.

“Nishino Clan, one the most notorious underground syndicates in the country.” Manatsu said.

“How did you know about her?” Miho asked.

“Well, bakery~.” Rena winked.

“Ohhhhhh…” Miho said.

“Why sole survivor?” Manatsu asked.

“I don’t know the whole story, only know a part of it. But long story short, vendetta.” All of the girls who listened to Rena’s explanation are nodding.

“Good morning, everyone!” The four girls saw their friend place the bag to her seat.

“Morning, Milky!” Miho greeted back.

“So all of you are looking at the transferee, eh?” Watanabe Miyuki said as she approached them. Rena saw something on Miyuki’s hair.

“Wearing that hairband here?”

“Just in case.” Miyuki tapped her hairband.

“I wonder why she has a fingerless glove worn on her left hand.” Manatsu said.

“Due to her history, it is rumored that she’s a great fighter. I want to spar with her even for once. By the way, how’s Ikumin and Nanami-chan?” Mai asked to Miyuki.

“They are already in their classroom. Speaking of them, it looks like the transferee is in their section.” Miyuki pulled out the laptop from her bag and placed it on her table. Ten minutes later, the school bell’s ring echoed throughout the entire school.

“Looks like the homeroom will start. Let’s go to our respective seats.” Mai said.

 

Class 1-B Room, Aokigahara Girls’ High School, Fujikawaguchiko Town, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 8:40 am

“I’m from Osaka Prefecture, Nishino Nanase desu. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.” Nanase bowed.

“She’s from Kansai, Nanami-chan.” Nakano Ikumi whispered to her seatmate.

“Finally, a fellow Kansaijin.” Yamada Nanami raised both of her hands.

“Well then, Nishino-san. You may sit next to Kizaki-san.” Fukagawa-sensei said. Nanase sit on the left corner of the classroom, which is beside the window.

“Nishino-san, we meet again.” Yuria said.

“You can call me Nanase. Nice to meet you again, Kizaki-san.” Nanase bashfully smiled at her.

“Then you will call me Yuria.” Yuria smiled back. In front of Yuria’s seat, Nanami turned around and smiled at Nanase.

“Hi, fellow Kansaijin. I’m Yamada Nanami from Hyogo Prefecture. You can call me either Nanami-chan or Yamada. Nice to meet you.” Nanami offered a handshake.

“Then Nanami-chan, it is. Nice to meet you.” Nanase replied to Nanami’s handshake.

“Name’s Nakano Ikumi. My friends call me Ikumin. So if you want, you can call me that.”

“Nice to meet you too, Ikumin.”

“I forgot to ask you this. Nishino-san, why are you wearing a fingerless glove?” All of the girls inside the class turned around and looked at Nanase, who was standing at her seat upon being called.

“Uhm... It’s because I have a nasty scar at the back of my hand for two reasons. The first one is I accidentally wounded it in on a sparring match in my former school. The second reason is that my hand got caught on fire.” Nanase explained.

“Accidentally wounded from a sparring match? You used real swords in kendo club in your former school?” Fukagawa-sensei asked.

“It’s more likely having a mock match in kenjutsu club. Our school is one of the few schools that has a martial arts club with actual blades.”

Technically, kenjutsu club really does exist in my school.’ Nanase thought.

“May I ask? What is your rank in Kenjutsu Club from your former school?” Takayama Kazumi asked.

“My rank? I’ve been skipping ranks twice, so as of now, sixth dan.” This caused all of the students in class 1-B to gasp.

Then she’s as skillful as Shiraishi-senpai.’ Nanami thought.

“Amazing. She’s one rank higher than me.” Kazumi said in English.

“Would you please join our Kendo Club? Please?” Kazumi clasped her hands.

“I’m sorry, I can’t. I changed my interest to drawing. Thanks for the offer anyway.” Nanase smiled at Kazumi.

“Aw, that’s unfortunate.” Kazumi replied sadly.

“Now, now. Do the advertising of your club after my homeroom.” Fukagawa-sensei said.

“Next month, we have a midterm exam, so all of you must prepare and study seriously.” All of the class groaned.

“Especially you, Nishino-san. Although your scores and grades in academics are average, you should put in more effort. Are we clear?”

“Wakarimaa, sensei.” Nanase replied.

“Okay, the homeroom session ends here. Your biology teacher, Takayanagi-sensei will be meeting you later.” Fukagawa-sensei left the classroom. As soon as their homeroom teacher left, some students went to Nanase’s seat.

“Nishino-san, how about having a sparring match in our club? We just want to encourage some of our clubmates.” Kazumi said.

“It’s fine by me. But I will not join your club, is that clear?” Nanase asked.

“I know, I know. I just want to see for myself how skillful you are. By the way, I’m Takayama Kazumi, Kendo 5th dan and vice-president of the Kendo Club.” Kazumi offered a handshake, to which Nanase replied to.

“I’m Ozono Momoko, Kendo 5th dan and deputy secretary general of Kendo Club. Aside of Kenjutsu, do you have any other style you use?”

“I mainly use Iaijutsu but I’m more of a freestyle fighter.” Nanase answered. As more people continued to ask her, Hoshino Minami, their class president, cut in between Nanase and the crowd.

“Alright, girls. Enough with the questioning. In about 3 seconds, Takayanagi-sensei will enter the room.” Just as Minami said those words, their biology teacher, Takayanagi Akane, opened the door and approached the table. All of the students went back to their seats.

Hoshino-san knew that Takayanagi-sensei was approaching this room?’ Nanase pondered as she saw Minami going back to her seat elegantly.

“Ok, students. Putting birds aside, let’s discuss taxonomy.”

 

Greenhouse Cafeteria, Aokigahara Girls’ High School, Fujikawaguchiko Town, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 12:50 pm

Kizaki Yuria’s POV

Located at the rooftop of the second building of Aokigahara Girls’ High School, this large greenhouse, surrounded by several cottages and patio tables, serves as the main canteen in this school. You can eat your lunch while watching the beauty of the plants. Just outside of the greenhouse, I occupied a large square table with a cottage roof shielding me from the gazing sunlight. As I ate my lunch which consists of tuna sandwich and a can of coke, someone called me.

“Yuria-chan!” My face went from excitement to boredom in a split second upon looking at the owner of the voice.

“Oh, it’s you, Shiraishi-senpai. Such a nice way to destroy my appetite.” I continued eating my sandwich in a deadpan manner.

“Don’t say that. We’re here to encourage you to eat more. Hai.” Shiraishi-senpai gave me another sandwich, similar to what I’ve eaten.

“Thanks for reserving our seats.” Watanabe-senpai said and sat beside Shiraishi-senpai. I saw Matsui-senpai take out her Nintendo 3DS while placing a melonpan on the table. Akimoto-senpai is still reviewing Differential Equations while Miyazaki-senpai watched her carefully. Ikumin and Nanami-chan are the last ones to come, bringing their favorite food. While we enjoy our lunchtime, Shiraishi-senpai raised her voice, allowing us to focus our attention to her.

“One of our satellite trackers in the clubroom detected an anomaly somewhere in Shoji Village. What I saw on the screen perplexed me.” Shiraishi-senpai said while looking at the laptop screen. I peeked at the screen out of curiosity.

“Well, it looks like we don’t need to pull all-nighters for this, right?” I asked.

“Depends on how we assess this anomaly and how bad it is.” Ikumi-chan said while sipping her orange juice. “Umai ne.” She cutely said.

“How’s the transferee?” Miyazaki-senpai asked us.

“Nishino Nanase. Age, 16 years old. Birthplace, Osaka Prefecture. She received a sixth dan on Kenjutsu. Her talent is drawing.” Nanami-chan explained while typing Nanase-chan’s biography in her laptop.

“Wow, sixth dan. She is something, eh.” Matsui-senpai smiled.

“Speaking of Nishino-san. Where is she?” Akimoto-senpai asked and looked around.

“I have a feeling that she went there.” Shiraishi-senpai said.

“Eh? She went there?! Out of all places?” Miyazaki-senpai reacted.

“As far as I can remember from my childhood, Nanase-chan is more of a silent, shy person. If she wants her surroundings to be quiet, then she would choose that place.” Matsui-senpai explained.

“I think we should find her. That area is contaminated by ‘them’.” Ikumin-chan said.

"Watanabe-senpai, want to join us in a search operation?” I asked while smirking at her.

“Oh, are you challenging me?” Watanabe-senpai smirked back at me.

“Just asking. Let’s go?” I picked up my phone that was sitting on the table as I went to the place where Nanase-chan possibly went.

 

Aokigahara Jukai, Fujikawaguchiko Town, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 12:50 pm

Nishino Nanase’s POV

Technically, resting in this place is perfectly bad idea. Not only the soil itself is volcanically made, but also the stenches of either rotten potato or egg are scattered across the forest. After all, Aokigahara is reputably known as the ‘Suicide Forest’. It would be surprising if you can’t find any decaying body around here.

In spite of it all, the natural serene atmosphere of the forest coupled with a few chirping birds and insects give me a peace of mind. I watched the sky while sitting on a tree branch of Mongolian oak that’s 10 feet off the ground and lastly, listening to my smartphone’s playlist.

Before I fully submerged myself into my own world, my extrasensory perception suddenly felt something. As I looked everywhere, I noticed small white mists appearing from all directions. I hung my headphones on my neck.

I would be surprised if this place is totally devoid of anything. They’re many.’ I my gloved left hand while looking at them.

Doushiyou? My things are currently in the girls’ dormitory. Should I do it?’ Before I try to do something.

“Nanase-chan!” I just heard recognizable girl’s voice. I saw Yuria-chan and Ikumin along with other student from below.

“Is that Nishino-chan?” The other student pointed upward, directly at me.

“Nanase-chan?! Why are you there?!” Yuria-chan said with a loud voice.

“Nothing!” I let myself fall 10 feet off the ground then perfectly landed on the uneven volcanic-soiled ground without any signs of pain.

“So, why are you looking at me?” I asked to them.

“Well, Shiraishi-senpai had a feeling that you’re going to Aokigahara forest on your own. We thought you’d do something horrible.” Yuria-chan said.

“You thought of me trying to commit suicide? As much as I want to, there’s no reason why I should do that.” I fixed my uniform.

“By the way, this is Watanabe Miyuki-senpai. She’s 2nd year student of Class 2-B.” Yuria-chan said.

“Watanabe Miyuki desu, from Nara prefecture. It’s nice to meet you, Nishino Nanase.” Watanabe-senpai cheerfully said.

 

Aokigahara Jukai, Fujikawaguchiko Town, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan; Wednesday, April 27, 2016, 1:20 pm

Third-person POV

“I think we should head back now, the sky is dark and there’s a high chance of raining.” Ikumi said.

“As far as I know, you have a sparring match with Kazumin. I think you should prepare for your fight.” Yuria said.

“You’re right, let’s go.” Just as Nanase and the rest were going back, she saw Miyuki staring around.

“Watanabe-senpai?” Nanase called to her.

“Just go ahead, I’ll follow later.” Miyuki replied. Nanase tilted her head in confusion while looking at her. Then she shrugged for a while and followed her two classmates. Just as her three juniors disappeared from Miyuki’s sight, her expression changed from gleeful to serious.

“To think 500 wandering ghosts would appear all at the same time in the same area, eh. What are you all trying to do?” From her vision, Miyuki saw numerous corporeal spirits floating everywhere.

“Never mind. They’re harmless despite causing disturbance to any person they’ve ever encountered. Maa, iku ka?” While walking away, Miyuki revealed a knife from her right hand. Then it floated on her palm and by twitching her index finger, the knife started to rotate itself.