Three

Those Three Words


It was 6:30 in the evening when Jisoo decided to go out and buy a can of soup since her sister will be out until late.

She shouldn't have waited this long and gone out a couple of hours ago if it weren't for her lazy . That, mixed with lightheadedness.

It was only a few hours ago when she checked her temperature with a thermometer and saw the digits 39.4 on the device.

She inhaled a sharp breath as the cold wind enveloped her face and her arms. She cursed herself under her breath for forgetting to bring a coat. But she was already out of the building and it would be a waste of time to go up and get one. Besides, the convenience store is just across their building.

She smiled to herself as she entered the store and heard only the sound of the song coming from the speakers. Her twin have always told her how odd it was that she likes partying too much but prefers quiet places more.

It didn't take her long to find the aisle of canned food but it took a while for her to find a can of soup. Probably because there was only one left.

"Lucky me," she thought to herself as she reached out to grab the can.

Unfortunately, she wasn't the only one who did.

She looked at the owner of the hand that's resting on top of hers and found a girl with pink hair tied in a bun with her face half covered with a mask.

It was as if her senses got suspended that she forgot about the can of soup and just stood there with half opened, admiring the beauty of the person in front of her.

The pink-haired girl was totally oblivious with Jisoo's starstrucked state and completely ignored her odd stare and proceeded to take the can and march to the counter.

This act made Jisoo snap out of it and follow the girl.

"Hey miss," she began to catch the girl's attention, which she did. "I'm sorry, but that's mine."

The girl scanned the can of soup she's holding, apparently looking for something.

"I'm sorry too but I don't see any name on it."

"But I touched it first"

"But you didn't take it. I was the one who took it first," then the girl turned around again and went to pay.

Whatever admiration Jisoo was feeling for her earlier totally vanished. She was ready to fight for that soup.

She followed the girl outside the store and called her attention once again.

"What?" The girl snapped at her.

"I need that soup and I'm not gonna leave you alone until you give it to me. I'll pay for it."

The girl stepped closer to her, "In case it's not yet obvious, I need it too. And since it's already in this bag," she lifted the paper bag she was holding, "then I think it's pretty clear that it's mine. So kindly back off."

Jisoo was too occupied with arguing to notice that her eyelids are getting heavier by the second.

Before she could snap back at the lady, she felt the ground swaying under her feet followed by her sight being consumed by total darkness.

***

Jisoo woke up and was greeted by a familiar set of eyes.

"Mandu?"

"Oh finally. You got me worried there," Jennie put the back of her palm against Jisoo's forehead to assess her temperature. "Your fever has gone down a bit. But here you better eat this."

The younger girl stood up and came back carrying a bowl of soup.

She helped up her twin and gave her the bowl.

"Did you make this?" The older girl asked while taking a sip.

"No. That's from the can you bought at the store."

"What? But I didn't get to buy one."

Jennie laughed at her sister, "Someone hit her head a bit too hard earlier. Yes you did silly, you even have the receipt right there inside the paper bag."

Jisoo furrowed her eyebrows at her sister, trying to remember what happened.

Then it hit her. The pink-haired lady.

She tried to conceal a smile forming in her lips to not make her sister suspicious as she thought about the pretty pink-haired lady leaving the soup she bought for her.

*****

Jennie's POV

"Goodnight Jennie, see you tomorrow!" Nayeon said as we walked towards different directions.

"Goodnight! And hey, don't dread about the news too much."

Her cheerful face was immediately replaced with a frown. Our office received a memo a few hours ago that our new boss will be arriving next week. And Nayeon hated it.

Personally, I don't dread the thought of having a new boss. Our old one was literally "old" so she didn't care that much on what we do. In fact, I don't think she cares about anything at all. We could set the entire office on fire for all she cares.

After 15 minutes of waiting, I finally got a cab. It was harder to get one tonight because it's raining.

I slumped back at my seat the moment I told the driver the address of my building. I'm already making a mental list of the things I would do this Friday night.

I wasn't like my sister who's a big fan of crowds and parties. She'd usually leave early in the evening to go hang out with friends in a club and return the next day smelling like a mixture of smoke, alcohol, and vomit.

I know, disgusting. You wouldn't wanna be in the same room as her.

Meanwhile, I'm more of an introverted kind of person. I prefer not having any company to relax. My ideal Friday night consists of 1) Taking a looong bath 2) Ordering pizza and chicken wings 3) Movie marathon or read a book

With all these in mind, I was practically skipping as I entered the building. Can you blame me? It's been a stressful week. All because of the arrangements were setting for the arrival of the new boss.

But all these thoughts vanished the moment the elevator door opened, revealing a person standing in front of our door.

Lisa.

I concealed a laugh when I saw her raising her hand to knock then changing her mind and putting it back down. This happened a few more times and I couldn't help myself anymore.

"I think your hand needs to touch the piece of wood for it to be called a knock," I .

She immediately turned her head to me with a sheepish smile.

"I-I uhh... I thought you were home..." she said while scratching the back of her neck. "I thought you go home at 6pm?" she checked her watch, "it's already half past 8."

"Is that concern I sense in your tone?" I replied sarcastically, expecting her to laugh. But she didn't. Did she not get it was a a joke?

I walked towards her and opened the door to our place and motioned her to come in.

"Why is it dark in here? I thought your sister stays at home all the time?"

"Why would you think so?"

"I don't know. You said she doesn't have a job so I figured she'd stay here."

"Being unemployed doesn't mean she stays at home all the time," I chuckled. "She's mostly out than at home."

I left her for a while at the living room to change into comfy clothes. I took out a pair of pajamas matched with a gray hoodie then went out to find her looking at the picture frames in the stand next to the tv.

"You sure don't look like twins," she said while looking at our picture from 2 years ago.

"That's because we're fraternal twins. You have no idea how sick and tired I am of having to explain to people that we're really twins."

She laughed as she picked up another picture.

"Mandu," she said while holding up my picture when I was in 3rd grade.

"I bet you'll click with my sister once you meet her. Did you know that she calls me that?"

"Really now. What time does she get home? I'd be happy to meet her."

"Are you willing to wait until tomorrow morning?" I asked with a light chuckle, expecting she'll get it's a joke.

But surprisingly...

"Sure, I can wait."

I raised an eyebrow at her, "You're kidding right?"

"No. I'd be happy to wait here."

Here? Oh dear god. R.I.P, my Friday night plans.

She must have noticed the change in my expression because she asked, "Do you mind though? Am I getting in the way of any date plans?"

I cringed at the mention of the subject.

"No, I'm not dating anyone."

She lifted her head up from the magazine she was reading, "Why not?"

"Reasons," I turned around and walked over to the kitchen to get a glass of water. "By the way, what brings you at the front of our door debating whether or not you should knock?"

", I can't believe you saw that," then she covered her face with her hands.

After regaining composure, she stood up and walked over and sat at the stool across me.

"I wanted to apologize for the other night. I know I shouldn't have said those things."

I smiled at her, "Well, you shouldn't be. You were right."

"What do you mean?"

"You were right about those things. How I hated my job and everything. I just couldn't admit it to myself but I realized it has always been at the back of my head," I took a deep breath before continuing, "It's just that... I'm afraid. I don't know what I'm doing with my life. Most people I know my age are out there exploring places, having successful careers, and some are even getting married. While I'm here stuck in a job I'm not even happy with."

By the time I stopped talking, she was just staring at me. I had to look away because of the unusual feeling I had while looking back at her doll eyes.

It took a while before she broke the ice.

"I think it's okay to not have your life figured out yet."

"Coming from the person who's already engaged and who has a great career" I .

She ignored my remark and went on, "You're like what, 22 or 23? You're still too young to worry about not having your life all figured out. Some people take almost all their lives before finding out what they really want," she said while still maintaining eye contact.

It feels weird talking to someone with this much sincerity in what she says.

I got too absorbed with the way she said those things that it took me a while to process it. What's wrong with my brain tonight?

"So what you're saying is?"

She laughed at me. This .

"What I'm saying is, it's okay to take your time."

***

After our pep talk, she went back to her place to get a box of cigarettes then went back here.

We're now at the balcony drinking scotch. Her choice.

"How can you even drink that without ice?" I tried pulling off a face that looks disgusted but ended up looking constipated.

"I like it better this way," she said as she lighted up a cigarette.

I watched as she puffed it then released the smoke through her nose.

"What is it about cigarettes that you people can't seem to live without it?"

"Speaking entirely for myself, it's not the cigarette itself but the way it feels when I smoke. It gives a sense of comfort. Like when I'm nervous or something, I just light one up and it instantly makes me calm."

"Or is it your brain playing tricks on you?" She furrowed her eyebrows, as if asking me to go on. "It's just a thought. Like the way children feel safer at night when they're cuddling teddy bears."

"I never thought of that," she said before puffing again. "Well, doesn't matter. As long as it works for me, I don't care about those theories or what not."

"Doesn't it bother Mina?"

"It does. But I manage to get her mind off of it so we won't fight about it."

I chuckled, "Unbelievable. Why don't you just quit? It's bad for your health."

"I'm way past caring about my health. And besides, we all have something in our lives that kills us but we can't avoid. This is mine."

"That's bull. We can always avoid the things that are bad for us."

"Fine then," she took one last puff and threw her cigarette. "If you're really that tough then I have a proposal for you."

I crossed my arms and pulled off a smug expression. "What?"

"I will quit smoking if you quit your job."

"What? That's not fair. Those are two completely different things."

"No they're not. Both kills us on the inside. Where's the difference?" Then she smirked.

"Fine, I have a counterproposal."

"Shoot."

"It should work both ways. If you quit smoking, then I'll quit my job. Whatever comes first."

"I may have underestimated your ability to outsmart me," she said with a light chuckle. "Deal," she said as she extended her hand for a handshake.

"A handshake's not good enough. We need a contract."

After I said that, she broke into laughter. It almost looked like she was tearing up from too much laughing.

"Wait, you're serious?"

I took out my phone and opened the camera. "Repeat after me," I said as I focused the camera on her. "I, Lisa-- what was your last name again?"

"I'm hurt," she clutched her chest. This dork I swear. I glared at her which seemed effective. "I, Lisa Manoban,"

"Am entering an agreement that states"

"Am entering an agreement that states"

"That if Jennie Kim quits her job, I too will quit smoking."

"That if Jennie Kim quits her job, I too will quit smoking."

"If I don't happen to fulfill this condition, I will suffer from diarrhea for 5 years."

"If I don't happen to fulfill this condition, I will-- wait no way!"

I burst out laughing from her reaction. It took me a few moments before regaining my composure.

"Fine. Just replace it with 'I will let said person punish me in whatever way she sees fit'"

Aftet repeating what I said, she took out her phone. "Your turn."

It took a while for my turn because Lisa kept coming up with unreasonable consequences. In the end, she just repeated what I told her to say.

***

One bottle of scotch (and a box of cigarettes for Lisa) later, I was starting to feel lightheaded.

"Do you ever wonder why stars still look beautiful even though they're dead?" I said as I downed another glass.

"They only look beautiful from afar though. Which is sad."

"I love stars. And other celestial bodies. Did you know I almost took up astronomy?" She looked up from her phone to look at me and eyed me skeptically. "I'm telling the truth. Had a brief period of obsession with the universe way back then. Come 8th grade, I realized it was just one of those childhood dreams."

"What do you do again?"

"Aish. I feel like you don't listen to me. I work at Hallmark. You know, greeting cards."

"That's not what I meant. I mean, what course did you take back in college?"

"AB Comparative Literature."

turned into the shape of an "O" which then became a smile.

"You're a writer?"

"I don't know," I chuckled. "Haven't written anything in ages."

"When was the last time you wrote? Aside from messages on greeting cards."

"Two years ago."

"What was it?"

"A book of poems. More of like a compilation."

"Who was it for?" I raised an eyebrow at her, "You don't just make a book of poems for no one. There's gotta be someone behind those."

Oh she's good. Too good, I almost felt like opening up the subject.

"I don't wanna talk about it," I said while standing up. "You up for another bottle? Wow I can't believe we emptied the first one. It's been weeks since I last drank a glass."

"Sure. Maybe you could also, I don't know, order pizza." She said while pulling off a gummy smile. I can't help but laugh at the sight.

I went in to dial the number of the nearest pizza place and it arrived after a few minutes so I took the box and grabbed a new bottle of scotch then went back out.

"Hey I have an idea," Lisa said, her voice a bit higher than usual.

"Don't tell me you're gonna ask for more food."

"No... but chicken would've been nice." she laughed. "But that's not what I wanna tell you."

"What is it?"

"If it's okay with you," she started, excitement lingering in her tone. "I would like to ask you to write the script with me."

"Script? For your movie?"

"Yup," she nodded. "I promise you'll be properly compensated."

It took me a while to think about it. After a few moments, I caught her looking into my eyes, obviously expectant.

"You sure you trust me enough to do this?"

"Of course."

"Okay. But if I am gonna do this, I don't want you paying me."

Her expression was a mixture of glee and confusion.

"What? Why?" She said as her forehead creased. "I'm not comfortable benefitting from anyone's work without giving him or her proper compensation. That's not how I roll."

"Fine, just buy me food. Preferrably milk ice cream."

"That's it?" she said, still not looking satisfied.

"Okay I'll change it. As payment, just take me out. Treat me to someplace."

She thought about it and for a while I thought she was gonna appeal further but she agreed. Reluctantly.