Cousins And Cuisines

When You Accidentally Fall In Love With Your Matchmaker Instead Of Your Blind Date
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cheon Enterprises was founded by Ji Hyo's maternal grandfather, Cheon Sung Soo. As Cheon Sung Soo had only one child- a daughter who was Ji Hyo's mother of course, the man had little choice as to who would be the heir to his company. 

From the moment Ji Hyo was born, Cheon Sung Soo dotted on her and loved her dearly. He made it very clear that the company was to go to Ji Hyo and no one else after he passed away. When he retired about half a decade ago, Ji Hyo was promoted to CEO, previously Sung Soo's position which he had held for thirty years. 

Sung Soo was always sad that his beloved granddaughter Ji Hyo did not share his family name, as his only child was not a son, but rather a daughter who could not carry on the family name. Thus, Ji Hyo had a second unofficial name given to her by her grandfather, Cheon Sung Im. It was used mostly by him, as a sort of pet name for Ji Hyo. 

While Ji Hyo was growing up, she was occasionally burdened by the fact that she had to take over the company someday. She felt like it was too big for her, and she once confronted her grandfather about her insecurities.

"Harabeoji... Why don't you give the company to Appa instead of me? Or Umma? Or maybe one of your employees?"

Being a young child when she asked this, Ji Hyo felt that her parents knew everything and could do everything. And being a young child, she was afraid of her future.

Back then, her grandfather chuckled, and reassured her of her fears.

"My child, your Appa and my employees aren't my blood. You are. And I am giving you Cheon Enterprises, because when I look at you? I see the future of Cheon Enterprises. Now, your mother may be my blood, but I did not see the potential in her like I do in you. I could have fifty sons and a hundred grandsons- but still the company would go to you, because my dear, you have the spark."

Ji Hyo never really truly understood what 'the spark' was, but over the years she figured her wise grandfather probably meant that she gave off vibes that she would be able to lead the company the way he did. And well, so far? She was doing a pretty great job so her grandfather was probably right, like he always was. 

Although Ji Hyo's mother had no siblings, her father had four sisters, who each had a son. Ji Hyo was also an only child, something she had in common with her paternal cousins.

Being very lucky, Ji Hyo got to stay nearby to all her cousins when growing up, and thus those 4 boys became brothers to her more so than a real brother could be. 

Her oldest cousin was Ji Suk Jin, who was seven years her senior. He was a property agent who had gained much success.

Suk Jin was followed by Yoo Jae Suk, six years Ji Hyo's senior. He was well known as the Nation's MC, beloved by the citizens of South Korea. He made a lot of money from hosting numerous variety shows, but of course his income paled in comparison to Ji Hyo's. 

After Jae Suk came Kang Gary, a year older than Ji Hyo. Gary was born Kang Hee Gun, Gary being a name he had given himself as a child, and eventually used as a stage name in his career as a successful musician. He was a member of the duo Leessang and was often busy. His cousins alternated between using his birth name and his stage name, as during their childhood Hee Gun had insisted upon being called Gary when he got obsessed with English names.

Ji Hyo's youngest cousin was Lee Kwang Soo, who was one year younger than her, and working in Cheon Enterprises as her secretary. 

Currently, Kwang Soo had just gotten interrogated by Suk Jin for not letting the other cousins know about the interesting individual that had entered Ji Hyo's life. He decided to give Jae Suk a call.

"Hello? What is it, my filming break's almost over hyung." Jae Suk asked in slight irritation, tired from back to back filming sessions.

"Ah, gosh. You're always filming! Don't you care about important family matters?" Suk Jin chided.

"What important family matters? What happened- is everyone okay?" Jae Suk was worried and shocked.

"Well- Ji Hyo's been showing interest in this man lately-"

"Oh my god are you kidding me? No way- we all need to have lunch and discuss this! Did Kwang Soo know about this?" Jae Suk asked, excitement filling his voice.

"Yeah- the kid knew about the guy but didn't have the courtesy to tell us!" Suk Jin complained, still bitter about not knowing sooner. 

"Hmm- his mistake then..." Jae Suk said, chuckling exaggeratedly like a cliched evil character in movies.

 

 

Kwang Soo gulped when he entered the restaurant the cousins had agreed to have lunch together in. From their serious faces and crossed arms sitting side by side, Kwang Soo knew he was in for a whole lot of crap. 

"Ah Kwang Soo... You're here- take a seat."

In all honesty, Jae Suk and Suk Jin weren't at all angry with Kwang Soo; they were just making use of this situation as an opportunity to mess with thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter