Thoughtless Words

The Humor of Fate

I love you guys! ♥ Everyone that commented, or subscribed, or was simply curious enough to stop by and read this wild story. It's been a joy to provide content for you all. I'm also about to pass out, as it's almost 3:30am and I have to be up at 6am. @.@ I was in the Writing Zone™ where you just faceroll the keyboard for like 6 hours and end up with a story. xD Time to throw myself into bed. Enjoy!


 

The early morning light spilled softly through the silk curtains of the bedroom, the gentle light consuming the sleeping occupant. A groan escaped the young woman as she rolled away, the blankets being pulled more tightly around her. Byulyi was a light sleeper, and had a habit of waking up early, but damn if she didn't want to leave this soft haven she found herself in. She unfortunately wasn't allowed to entertain such thoughts for long, as a gentle knock on her bedroom door invaded the pleasant silence.  

Maybe if I ignore them long enough they'll leave me be?  

Groaning out in annoyance, the thief buried herself further into the blankets as another knock rapped against the door.  

Ugh, just let me sleep... 

Byulyi's ears soon picked up the sound of metal sliding into a lock before the bedroom door was slowly pushed open. A young girl with long auburn hair peeked around the door to peer into the bedroom. 

"Moon Byulyi? I'm Acolyte Wheein if you remember me from last night. You've been summoned to the dining hall as soon as you're ready," the young girl stated, her hands nervously clasped together. The young initiate wasn't sure what to make of the other girl. She felt wary of her still after remembering how she had tried to steal from them once already, and the image of Sister Yongsun knocking the girl unconscious was still fresh in her mind.  

Byulyi sat up then, her soft brown hair a tangled mess upon her head. A quiet giggle could be heard a moment later, and the thief blinked several times before directing her gaze on Wheein.  

"What is it?" she yawned out, her eyes scrunching up in confusion. 

Wheein felt a bit of her unease dissolve at the sight. Byulyi almost had an innocent quality to her as she sat in bed, half awake, hair a complete mess.  

"Ah, nothing! Um, if you'll please excuse me, I'll wait for you outside-" the acolyte started to say, before Byulyi interrupted her.  

"Wheein?" she hummed out, her voice deeper with the dregs of sleep.  

Turning back, Wheein regarded her with a questioning look. 

"I have a friend named Hyejin that I look after. She helps me keep an eye on other stray kids, and since I'm leaving soon..." the thief trailed off, her gaze focusing on something in the distance that only she could see.  

Shaking her head, Byulyi continued on. "Well, I know we don't really know each other, but I would... appreciate it, if you could make sure some food and supplies make its way to them," she rambled off, her dark eyes falling upon the young acolyte, almost daring her to turn her down.  

Wheein quietly watched the thief, surprised at the request given to her. She had thought Moon Byulyi a selfish person, someone that only cared for herself. Weren't all thieves like that? Only worried about their own wellbeing? Yet here was the young woman in front of her, concerned about her friend and other street orphans. The young initiate smiled slightly in return, her one dimple making itself known.  

"That's kind of you. I'll see that they're provided for," Wheein reassured, before bowing and stepping back out into the hall.  

Feeling pleased with herself, Byulyi pushed herself out of bed to get ready.   

Several minutes later the thief found herself presentable once again, and was pleasantly surprised to find a wooden box had been left on the nearby table. The sour smell wafting from it gave her pause, until she looked inside and realized her old belongings had been collected from the bath house. Byulyi had no need to keep the torn clothing, but she wondered if the small prayer statue was still inside her concealed pocket. Sure enough her nimble fingers came into contact with the worn stone, and she grinned to herself.  

This would definitely sell for a decent price as she turned it this way and that, her trained eyes fully taking it in for the first time. The small figurine fit snugly inside the palm of her hand, the shape of a woman evident in the skillful chisel work that had been done. Gold veins twisted through the beautiful marble, and a family crest had been carved at the base along with a name, Sunhae. The name appeared worn, as if someone had often rubbed their fingers across that part in contemplation. Oh well, it was Byulyi's now. Pocketing the figurine once more, the young thief left her room and followed Wheein.  

The acolyte stayed a few paces ahead as Byulyi followed her down the long corridors. She absently observed the ornate portraits that hung along the walls, the stern faces of those that had worked for the Church staring back at her. Judging her. Frowning, Byulyi looked away, a question forming in her mind.  

"Wheein, tell me about Yongsun," she asked, not entirely sure what spurred on the question.  

The younger girl slowed her pace so that she walked alongside the thief. She glanced tentatively over at the taller girl, "What is that you want to know?" 

What exactly was it that Byulyi wanted to know? Her encounter with the priestess so far had been a whirlwind of unfortunate events. She had only known her for a day, and yet was already more intertwined with her than anyone else in her life. Quite literally, in fact, as her eyes fell to the moon brand on her hand.  

"What's she like? Does she have any friends?"  

Wheein took on a look of contemplation as she answered honestly, "Sister Yongsun isn't one to warm up to others easily. She's more reserved, and doesn't have many friends." 

Byulyi suspected as much, with how easily she seemed to get under the Sister's skin. She probably didn't know how to deal with the wild thief, and Byulyi grinned to herself at the thought. She certainly enjoyed teasing the older girl already, and they were about to undertake a very long journey together. The thief wondered if she would even survive the trip before Yongsun had enough and tried to off her.  

"And what's her family like? I saw them at the dinner last night," Byulyi wondered, thinking back to how unhappy Yongsun's family seemed to be with her. She lost track how many times her mother had stared holes into her.  

Wheein sighed a little at the question, as if it were a sensitive topic.  

"Sister Yongsun belongs to one of the three most prominent families in our Kingdom. There's a lot of expectation with her success as a Branded, and her family was denied a house merger because of..." Wheein stopped, an embarrassed flush coloring her cheeks.  

"Because I'm just some street trash? It's ok, you can say it," Byulyi added, her voice oddly neutral.  

"W-well, that's not what I was going to say, but the fact you're not from nobility has... prevented them from doing that," the acolyte stammered out, casting a sidelong glance to Byulyi as if worried to offend.  

The thief simply shrugged her shoulders as she waited for the other girl to continue.  

"With things how they are, it's caused the Kim's a lot of embarrassment with the other houses, and Sister Yongsun seems to be getting the brunt of it from them," Wheein trailed off, pulling down into a frown. 

Byulyi sighed then, at a loss for how anyone could blame herself or Yongsun. Did they seriously think either of them chose this life? Byulyi would like nothing more than to be free of these rich snobs, and return to living freely with her friends.  

"Looks like being Branded isn't as magical as the stories make it seem," she grumbled out more to herself than Wheein.  

Surprisingly, she felt a comforting pat to her arm afterward, as Wheein offered her a small smile of encouragement.  

"There's still time for you to prove them wrong, Miss Byulyi. You can still be the hero in the stories," the initiate offered, before stepping aside to let the thief enter the dining hall.  

Byulyi turned back to thank Wheein, but the young girl had already disappeared. She was thankful for the small warmth that had settled in her chest. Perhaps they weren't all bad.  

Yongsun looked to be lost in thought as Byulyi approached her. The blonde woman had her face cradled in her left hand, a distant look etched across her face, as her eyes were deeply focused on something the thief wasn't allowed to see. Byulyi quietly took a seat across from her, noticing how dark circles clung underneath her eyes.  

"Rough night?" she attempted to joke, her brows furrowing slightly as Yongsun ignored her.  

Leaning forward, the thief waved her hand in front of the other girl in an attempt to catch her attention.  

Yongsun looked up then, her warm eyes having taken on a dull sheen as she noticed the other girl for the first time.  

"Yes?"  

Byulyi frowned slightly at the sudden change. 

"Are you always this cheerful in the morning?" 

An exasperated sigh escaped the priestess as she ignored the thief's jab and focused on her tea.  

"We're leaving soon to meet the King. Make sure you behave yourself," the blonde replied, her tone unpleasant.  

I take back what I thought earlier.  

----- 

Yongsun had met the King a few times throughout her life. Royal balls and weddings, State dinners and other special occasions that had summoned forth her family to attend. She wasn't unfamiliar with court life, but this was the first time where the focus would be completely on her and her companion. At the thought of Byulyi, she looked over to the young thief that had taken to pacing inside the waiting room. 

"Stop that, you're making me nervous," she chided, her fingers absently playing with the stitching on her sleeve.  

"Making you nervous...? What about me? I've been punished by this old fool before," Byulyi snapped, very much aware of old wounds on her body that had been by the decree of the king for thievery.  

Yongsun looked up then, curiosity and annoyance mixing across her features.  

"Perhaps you should stop taking what doesn't belong to you? I'm sure you deserved it," she dismissed the other girl offhandedly. 

Byulyi drew in a sharp intake of breath at the claim.  

"You think I deserved it?" Byulyi angerly rounded on the priestess, her fists clenching as she abruptly invaded her personal space. "You think I deserved to be tied up and whipped for trying to feed myself and starving children?!" the thief spat out, her frayed nerves adding to the fire Yongsun had unwittingly stoked.  

The priestess blanched at the fury directed her way, "I didn't know," she looked away, unable to meet the sudden anger that was rolling off the younger girl in waves.  

"You're right, you didn't. Maybe you shouldn't dismiss everyone that's not eating out of the King's hand!" Byulyi huffed out, her breath coming in sharp as she stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her.  

The sudden slam of the door caused Yongsun's own anger to flare up. What was that stupid girl thinking, causing a scene like that in the palace? Ripping the door open, the priestess stepped out into the hall to see Byulyi's fleeing back.  

Where is she going...? 

----- 

Byulyi felt angry tears slide down her face as she blindly ran for the nearest exit. Yongsun's careless words had torn open a wound she had thought scarred over and taken care of. She didn't want to remember how the rough rope had burned her wrists, how the sting of the whip had split the skin on her back, over, and over, and over. Last winter had been particularly hard for Hyejin and herself, and she dared to steal food from one of the King's personal suppliers. She had been caught trying to cover Hyejin's tracks, and had been dragged before the King at such an offense to the Crown.  

The ruler hadn't taken lightly to someone trying to steal from his own merchant, nor showed mercy for his starving people, and made a spectacle of Byulyi by having her publicly flogged. She remembered how the King watched her with eyes that saw her as something less than human, a means for an example to be made of. Byulyi had been unable to function properly for weeks afterward, and barely survived that winter if it hadn't been for Hyejin convincing a kind traveling healer to take a look at the poor girl.  

She roughly wiped away at the warm tears, feeling weak for showing such emotion. Why had she even let the priestess affect her so? She had hardened herself against the onslaught of foul words her entire life, and yet Yongsun dismissing her pain so easily had stirred something unpleasant inside of her. Why did she even care what the priestess thought? She was of no concern to the thief, except she was, because of their Brand. They would be forever connected because of it, and Byulyi found herself vexed at the thought. Why had the Gods paired her with someone like that? Did Sister Yongsun even help people like Byulyi? Was she out there in the streets helping the poor and destitute? Was her calling in life just to look pretty and pray in fancy clothes? Byulyi found her mood darkening further as she continued to wander the halls, eventually finding herself in the royal gardens.  

The lush foliage and expensive stonework further added to Byulyi's already unpleasant mood as she breathed in the sweetly scented air. The elegant fountain she was approaching was probably expensive enough to feed her entire neighborhood. Sighing, Byulyi sat down on the edge and looked down at her reflection in the clear water. Hurt stared back at her. The world wasn't fair, and crying about it now wasn't going to change anything. Her hand snapped forward and splashed the reflection in annoyance, the image fracturing and sloshing away. Before she could further ruminate, an unfamiliar voice called out to her.  

"Miss Byulyi? The King has summoned both you and Sister Yongsun to the throne room," a young maid said, bowing deeply to the other girl before waiting patiently at the entrance for her to follow.  

Byulyi rubbed at her eyes furiously, hoping it wasn't too obvious she had been crying as she followed the maid back into the hallway. Anxiety churned deeply inside her chest as they grew closer to her destination. Would the King remember her? Would she be made into another laughing stock? Would Yongsun even care? Drawing in a deep breath, Byulyi slowly let it out, tucking away as many negative emotions as she could into the release, until a semblance of calm settled over her. What the King thought, what Yongsun thought, didn't matter. She would face the man head on, and get this journey started so she could return to how things were. 

----- 

Yongsun's annoyance of Byulyi's behavior earlier still simmered beneath the surface as she waited outside the throne room. No, she didn't think the thief deserved to be flogged, but what did she expect, stealing like that? She was quickly realizing what kind of unsavory character Byulyi was. Stealing from the King had been bad enough, but the younger girl had dared to steal from the cathedral, from the Gods themselves, and that was something Yongsun wouldn't be able to easily forgive, no matter the reason.  

Her posture became rigid as Byulyi rounded the corner with a maid beside her, an unreadable look on the thief's face. The dark-haired girl stopped beside her, and Yongsun felt her irritation being sapped away at the sight of the puffy eyes that avoided her own. Had she been crying? Yongsun frowned, conflicting emotions once again tumbling for dominance inside her chest. The thief wasn't making things easy for her, and with a sigh she tugged at her arm and stepped into the throne room as they were promptly announced.  

The sunlight was almost blinding inside the throne room as it cascaded through the massive arching windows on either side of the room. A lush burgundy trail led the way from the door to the marble steps that lead to the throne itself, an intimidating chair completely covered in gold. The light reflected from it caused Yongsun to look anywhere but at the King, as the man motioned them forward. She could feel Byulyi tremble beside her, whether in fear or anger, she couldn't tell, but she didn't dare look at the other girl as the King began to speak. She kept her eyes respectfully to the floor, and hoped the thief was following the same protocol.  

"Come forward and kneel, my Branded," the King commanded, his deep voice compelling them to do as he said. 

Yongsun noticed how Byul's hand tightly gripped the fabric of her pants as they knelt, her knuckles white from the forceful grip. The unease wafting off the girl was palpable.  

Please don't do anything, Moon Byulyi... 

The priestess offered up a silent prayer as the King regarded them silently for several moments.  

"The two of you have been given an important task - a mission I fully expect you to complete to the best of your ability. Failure is not an option, nor are you welcome to return here until your quest is completed," the King stated, his hand reaching up to idly his graying beard as he observed the two young women.  

Yongsun realized this officially made the pair homeless as soon as they left from here. She hadn't expected to be more or less cast out from their home, but also realized they couldn't loiter around once their quest officially started.  

"Four of my best King's Guard will accompany the two of you on your journey. They will meet you out in the courtyard once you are prepared to leave. Supplies and equipment will be given to you, and then I expect swift results," he declared, his intense black eyes falling upon Byulyi for a moment.  

"Moon Byulyi, was it? Have we met before?"  

Yongsun felt the thief stiffen beside her, her breath seemingly caught in as she took a moment to answer.  

"I'm afraid not, my Lord. I have never been to the Palace before," the thief easily lied, the tension coiled tightly around her.  

The King regarded her for a long moment before brushing the thought aside. He didn't particularly care who this girl was, as long as she gave him the results he wanted.  

"Then be off with the two of you, and make your kingdom proud." 

----- 

Byulyi rested uneasily atop the chestnut mare beneath her. She knew how to ride a horse, but didn't have much experience with it. Riding horses were typically saved for those who could afford said horse, and Byulyi certainly didn't fall into that category. Yongsun looked like a natural as she pulled up her dappled mare alongside the captain of the guards that were escorting them. The older man regarded the young priestess respectfully as he motioned for them to follow. Their first course of action would be the small hamlet of Gimhwa to the west. It would take them an entire day's ride to get there, and Byulyi already knew she her legs would be mush by the end of it.  

Several hours passed in silence, as neither girl wanted to speak to the other. Yongsun remained up front with the Captain, while Byulyi trailed behind with the other three guards. She often found herself watching the priestess. She was still upset with her, and became even more annoyed with Yongsun offered no apology for her harsh words earlier. Byulyi wasn't fond of the unease that had settled between them, and could tell the guards didn't know what to make of it. Besides the Captain, the three guards that remained in the back with Byulyi made up an odd collection.  

There was Chul, a large man that towered over everyone and scared Byulyi somewhat with his cold eyes. He had the look of someone that had killed many times before, and wouldn't be bothered to do so again. Kyu, a man closer in age to Byulyi that seemed to often be in thoughtful observation, and Myon, an elderly man that looked like he was on the verge of retiring. None of them had said a word to Byulyi, and mainly focused on the priestess ahead of them. The thief momentarily had the morbid thought of them leaving her behind to die if the situation ever called for it.  

She knew she was sulking at this point, but felt like she was allowed to give into her emotions every now and then. She was leaving everything she knew in life behind, and now had to depend on a priestess that didn't seem to care about her, and four guards that answered to a King that most certainly didn't care about her. The humor of fate sure had a way to string her along, and Byulyi didn't much appreciate it.  

The sun was beginning to set when the Captain raised a fist for them to stop. A stream nearby provided the perfect opportunity to take a break and let the horses drink. Byulyi welcomed being able to stretch her wobbly legs as she detached herself form the saddle and practically fell off. A quiet laugh could be heard in the direction Yongsun was standing, and Byulyi shot her a look.  

"Is something funny, Sister Yongsun?" 

"Yes," was her short reply. 

Byulyi's annoyance from earlier threatened to bubble above the surface, but Myon interrupted the pair as he passed out some tough meat to snack on.  

"It's not what you're used to, Sister, but it's better than nothing," he offered, the meat tasting better than the scraps Byulyi was used to at least.  

The thief took her meat to the far side of the camp to chew, the clearing they were resting in overlooking a valley below. Plopping down on the ground, she quietly watched the way the wind caused the tall blades of grass to gently sway in the breeze. This was the furthest Byulyi had ever been from the Capital, and in way it felt incredibly liberating. She might be chained down with her mission as a Branded, but looking down at the open valley below, the miles of land and sky that expanded out before her, she couldn't remember the last time she had felt so free. No longer were the crammed streets and alleyways keeping her locked in, the way unwashed bodies constantly pressed in on each other as they went about their daily business in the market, the harbor, and various other districts. There was nothing but open possibility waiting for Byulyi, and that was a feeling she wasn't used to.  

Maybe this won't be so bad.  

----- 

The moon was high in the night sky by the time the small group arrived at Gimhwa. Most of the inhabitants were asleep in the small hamlet as they approached the quiet inn. Kyu went ahead to book them rooms while Chul and Myon attended the horses. This left the Captain to order them dinner as the pair followed him inside. A large fire crackled on the far side of the room, providing much needed warmth and light to the small inn. The tavern portion of the establishment appeared to be vacant except for a single man in the corner, his pipe smoke curling around him almost unnaturally. Yongsun eyed him warily as she took a seat on the other side of Byulyi. Something about him made her skin crawl, and she wasn't keen on getting more acquainted.  

She could tell the thief was eyeing her curiously, before following her gaze to the man. Byulyi seemed to raise her eyebrows at her in an unspoken question, but Yongsun only shook her head. She worried that he would be able to hear them, and a part of her felt like speaking aloud about him would only draw his attention. She brushed the thoughts aside as a warm bowl of soup appeared before her. The meal was watered down and didn't compare to what she was used to eating back home, but she couldn't complain. She noticed Byulyi practically slurping it down and felt her eye twitch. The thief had clearly been raised by wolves. 

Yongsun felt herself almost dozing off at the table by the time they had finished their meal. A long day of riding had taken its toll on her, and the day had already been mentally exhausting prior to it. She wanted nothing more than to throw herself into bed and let the sweet bliss of sleep erase her worries. The thought hadn't crossed her mind before, but as Kyu slid everyone their room keys, she realized she'd be sleeping with Byulyi. The thief seemed to have come to the same realization, because Yongsun was sure the sour look on her face mirrored her own.  

"Come on everyone, we need to get as much rest as we can. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow," the Captain said, ushering the girls up to their room as the guards disappeared into their own.  

Yongsun was thankful the room had two small beds at least, with a tiny end table separating them from each other. Byulyi didn't say a word to her as she stripped down to her night clothes and crawled into bed, her back facing towards the priestess. This suited Yongsun just fine, as she made sure the thief wasn't looking in her direction before changing into a simple white nightgown. The priestess laid there for a while, feeling wide awake despite her exhaustion from earlier. No matter which way she turned, she couldn't get comfortable on the lumpy bed. The blanket was thin and scratchy, and the room felt incredibly stuffy.  

There was a tiny window on her side of the room, and she hoped letting in the night air would help. The window apparently hadn't been opened in a while, as it screeched loudly, and she heard Byulyi moving in the bed behind her. Holding her breath, she waited for the other girl to settle before pushing the window open the rest of the way. The night air felt cool against her flushed skin, and she breathed in deeply, appreciating the calming affect it had. Inhaling deeply again, she noted how there was a curiously sweet smoky scent that seemed to mingle in with the night air. A scent that was muddling her senses, and luring her to follow it outside and breathe in more of it. Yongsun was in an almost trance like state as she opened the bedroom door, not caring how the handle smacked loudly into the wall, and descended the stairs to the tavern below. The innkeeper was in the back preparing food for the next day, and didn't see the blonde woman walk out the front door, her bare feet gently padding against the muddy ground, leading her further into the dark night.  

----- 

Byulyi had been staring at the wall when Yongsun made her strange exit from their shared room. Where exactly was she going this late? The thief questioned whether she even cared enough to find out, but something felt off. There was no reason for her to leave like she did, and Byulyi's street sense was screaming at her that Yongsun's behavior wasn't normal. She had looked up over her shoulder in time to see the woman fling the door open before stumbling down the stairs. Her body movements looked somewhat sluggish and jerky, and a deep unease settled over Byulyi. Sighing, she got out of bed and rummaged around in her pack for a knife that had been given to her. The blade reflected the moonlight back at her, and she hoped she wouldn't need to use it. She didn't bother to change out of her oversized tunic and shorts, before rushing down the stairs and into the night air.  

The hamlet wasn't very big, but it was nighttime, and the moon didn't offer much light this night as the clouds kept blotting it out.  

Think, Byulyi. Where could she have gone?  

The remaining vestige of something sickly sweet seemed to linger in the air, and the scent caused Byulyi's stomach to turn. The scent was faint, but something about it nagged at the thief's mind. She had smelled something like that before. As she thought on it for a moment, the strange man from earlier with the pipe sprang to mind. She recalled how Yongsun seemed unsettled by him, but they still weren't talking to each other then, and Yongsun didn't seem to want to discuss it anyway. Byulyi had felt the way the man seemed to follow them with his eyes as they ate and then continued up to their rooms. She kicked herself for not paying him more attention, but with the guards with them, she had let her own guard down.  

Yongsun... 

Her brand began to glow softly as the image of Yongsun arose within her mind. The girl appeared to be in some sort of daze as she followed the pipe man into a dilapidated farmhouse on the far side of the hamlet. Anger boiled up inside of her and threatened to consume the young thief as she tightly gripped her knife, her feet already carrying her in the direction of Yongsun before she could even consciously tell her body to do so.  

The old structure was completely covered in shadow as she slowed her approached. Byulyi was once more in her element as she crept along the outside wall, not daring to trust the front entrance. Slinking around back, she noticed a busted window that would provide her a way inside. She inched her way up to peer through the broken frame, but cursed mentally at how dark it was inside. The moonlight provided a small source of light, but not enough for Byulyi to make out anything besides oddly shaped blobs.  

As she contemplated how to go about things, she heard the sound of a struggle, and Yongsun cry out in pain from somewhere above. The noise was all Byulyi needed for her to climb through the window as quickly as possible, her bare feet landing silently on the dirt floor. Her heart threatened to give her away at how frantically it pounded in her chest as she crept forward. She noticed a table full of weird vials and books, the covers of which she couldn't read in the darkness. More than one animal carcass had been left to rot alongside a series of unusal utensils, and Byulyi wondered who the hell this man was.  

The stairwell leading upstairs had certainly seen better days, and Byulyi agonized over the warped pieces of wood giving her presence away. Yongsun cried out again, and the thief almost threw caution to the wind as she climbed the stairwell more loudly than she would have liked.  

"...Is someone there?" called out a gravelly voice, the cold tone sapping the warmth from the night air.  

Byulyi froze halfway up the stairwell, knowing she'd be seen if the man peered over the banister. He wasn't given the chance to, though, before a loud crash was heard further up. The man shouted in pain before a violent smack cracked across the following silence, ripping a sob from the priestess. Byulyi could feel the hilt of her knife bite her palm at how tightly she gripped it. She so badly wanted to rush in, but knew she couldn't risk things until she saw what exactly was going up there. Creeping up the rest of the stairs, she slipped her way down the dark hallway towards the flickering candle light. Byulyi wasn't prepared for what she saw.  

Yongsun had her wrists tied above her head on one of the ceiling beams, her feet barely touching the ground to support her weight. A bruise was already forming on the right side of her face where she had been hit. The pipe man was focused on a table next to Yongsun, where a black bowl rested beside a ritualistic knife. The man reached for the blade before turning his attention to the priestess once more.   

"Why can't you behave? I just need a little of your blood," he gritted out, his free hand reaching up for Yongsun's branded hand, knife dangerously close.  

What the hell is going on?  

Byulyi wasn't allowed the luxury to think on that line of thought further, before running in with her own knife raised. The man was fast, much faster than Byulyi gave him credit for. He spun around before she reached him, his wicked blade held between himself and the thief.  

"I should have known you'd come. That was my mistake," tsked the pipe man, an easy smirk pulling up at the scar tissue on his face.  

"I don't know what the hell is going on, but I need you to let her go, and preferably fall on your own knife while you're at it," Byulyi demanded, her anger tempering her words.  

Sneering, the man reached out for Yongsun, ignoring her whimper as his knife caressed her skin. The cold blade ran down her arm, across her stomach, and followed up her chest to where it rested firmly against her neck. Byulyi shook as she watched the man play with the two of them. He had them in a bind, and the thief frantically tried to think on what she could do.  

"What do you want with her?" Byulyi tried a different approach, hoping she could distract him.  

The man tilted his head at her, his gaze causing her stomach to turn.  

"And why would I tell you?" 

Byulyi's eyes darted to the bowl on the table, the knife, and how he had been trying to cut Yongsun's branded hand earlier. 

"Well, I just thought I could help. It looked like you needed some special blood, and I just so happen to have a Brand as well," the thief replied, lifting her hand in the process, the crescent moon softly glowing in the dim light.  

He his lips then, eyes taking in the sight of the other Brand.  

"And what do you propose I do?" he questioned, his interest piqued.  

Byulyi smirked inwardly, thankful that she knew how to drive a bargain from her days on the street.  

"You let her go, and I'll let you have all the blood you want from me," she offered, making a show of pretending to cut her own hand with her knife.  

Yongsun shook her head in protest, eyes wide at what Byulyi was suggesting. 

"Byulyi, what are you thinking?! Get out of here while you can!" the priestess cried out, convinced the thief was a total idiot.  

Ignoring her, Byulyi took a step forward, hyper aware of the man as she watched him. "Do we have a deal?" 

Contemplation crawled across the man's face as he looked between the two women briefly.  

"Cut your hand first, and we'll see," he countered, eyes full of hunger as he watched the thief press her own blade against her flesh.  

Grimacing, Byulyi ran the blade against her palm, doing her best to ignore the stinging pain. She closed her fist tightly, and watched as droplets of blood slowly dripped to the hungry wood below.  

She knew she had won the man over with how entranced he watched the blood drop, his tongue wetting his lips in anticipation.  

"Fine, I'll trade her for you," he breathed out, his knife raising to cut down Yongsun, who collapsed to the floor from her uncomfortable position.  

Byulyi moved to approach her, but the man waved his knife at the dark-haired girl. "No moving! I'll let her go, and then you come here." 

Yongsun looked up at Byulyi with barely contained fear. She hadn't lived on the streets like the thief, she hadn't faced the ugly underbelly of the world like Byulyi had, and she had certainly never been a position to where her life was threated.  

"Byulyi... Don't do this, you dumb thief. Don't throw your life away like this," Yongsun pleaded, remaining in her crumbled position on the floor.  

"Yongsun, you should leave now," Byulyi said softly, offering the older girl a small smile as she watched her gather herself up. "Don't be a pretty fool. Run back to the inn," she sighed when Yongsun looked reluctant to leave her.  

Please, Yongsun... 

Something in Byulyi's eyes finally convinced the priestess to turn and flee down the stairs, Byulyi remaining where she was until she was certain the other girl had left the farmhouse.  

"So, you're a thief, eh? How noble of you to protect her over yourself," sneered out the man, his blade dangerously close to Byulyi now as he focused his attention on her.  

"I hate to disappoint, you creep, but you won't be getting anything from me," Byulyi snapped back, instantly taking up a fighting stance as she readied her knife.  

She barely had time to sidestep as the man came lunging forward at her. The thief was thankfully much smaller and more agile than the lanky man in front of her. She dodged again as he came at her, violently slashing his knife this way and that, fuming when his blade didn't connect with flesh.  

"Who in the hell taught you to fight? Some blind drunk?" she taunted, hoping to rile him up. 

Taking the bait, he lunged forward once more, but Byulyi was ready this time. She gripped his wrist and twisted at the right angle to cause him to cry out in pain and drop the blade.  

Cursing, the man swung towards her with enough force that Byulyi wasn't able to block in time. His fist exploded into the side of her head, causing her to almost drop her blade as her vision blurred. Not missing his opportunity, he used his weight against the thief as he tackled her to the ground, his hands struggling to rip the knife from her hand as he punched at her again. Byulyi raised her arm in time to block the blow, and brought her knee up between his legs. Howling in pain, the man pushed away, his hands covering his crushed pride.  

An injured growl escaped him as reached for the black bowl on the table. Byulyi flinched in surprise as the small dish was thrown at her, a noxious black powder exploding out and clinging to the girl.  Coughing, Byulyi frantically rubbed at her eyes to clear her vision. Laughing at what he had done, the man slammed himself into her, causing the thief to crash back into the wall behind her, a broken piece of wood cutting into her back. A sharp cry escaped the thief, her grip on the knife loosening as the man closed his fists around . Grasping at his hands, she struggled to get him to release her windpipe, as with each squeeze her vision grew darker and darker. She thought she heard the yell of several men as she finally lost consciousness.