Converging Paths

The Humor of Fate

Friends! I'm so glad to see you guys enjoying this story so far. Shout out to the one reader that was already pumped before I even had my first chapter published. xD Thank you for the lovely support so far, and I'll see you guys in the next chapter! ♥


 

Moon Byulyi was at a loss. She couldn't see her hand very well due to the shackles, but if she turned her right hand at just the right angle, she could see the silver crescent moon branded across the back of it. The sudden pain of the brand forming across her skin had violently ripped her from her sleep, and the shock of it still left the young woman deeply bothered. Had she been chosen to save the world? She couldn't stop the small laugh that escaped her in disbelief. Her, Moon Byulyi, nothing more than a lowly thief, had apparently been deemed worthy by the Gods to save the world that had tossed her aside.  

"Eh, girl, are you losing your mind already over there?" the old man sharing her cell questioned, his eyes suddenly focusing on her for the first time.  

Byulyi laughed again at his question, still trying to process what was happening to her.  

"I think I might be as crazy as you by this point," she said back, her eyes once again straining to see the silvery brand in the dim light.  

The old man started to say something sarcastic, but Byulyi was already ignoring him as the name Kim Yongsun started to flash through her mind. There, in her mind’s eye, she suddenly was able to see the blonde priestess. She knew the other girl was on her way here with the jailer. The thief shook her head then, as if to make the image of the priestess disappear.  

What is this? Was she... also selected? 

The Gods really were laughing at her. 

----- 

Kim Yongsun was a mess of emotions. She had been selected for the Brand like she had always dreamed of, but her... other half in this endeavor was that infuriating thief. She thought only those of noble birth were selected? How had someone like Moon Byulyi been chosen? The girl had been moments away from stealing a religious artifact, and now was suddenly to be one of the nation's saviors? Yongsun couldn't wrap her head around it, and forlornly stared at the ground as she followed the jailer into the dungeon. As if the thief being her partner wasn't embarrassing enough, she had to collect her from prison.  

The priestess ignored the whistles and crude calls as she followed the man deeper into the darkness, the stench of the place threatening to overwhelm her senses. After a while and several descending staircases later, they arrived at a cell at the end of the hallway. Yongsun held up her lantern against the bars of the cell, her eyes automatically finding the young woman shackled to the wall on the far side of the room. Her expression softened as she stared at the girl on the other side of the bars, her head hung low as if asleep or in deep thought. She didn't know the circumstances that had led the thief to her life of crime, and had begun to feel sorry for her. 

Byulyi's head snapped up then, and her eyes stared hard into Yongsun's, a moment of silence stretching between them as the two women wrestled with their situation in each other's eyes.  

"Sister Pretty Face, please don't pity me. I can see that look on your face. I'm quite the accomplished thief, and wouldn't have it any other way," Byulyi smugly teased, an easy grin making itself known. 

Pity was quickly chased away by irritation, as Yongsun scowled at her once more.  

"Accomplished thief, you say? That's a bold claim since you're currently locked away in prison for stealing," she huffed out, her brows furrowing in annoyance. The thief seemed to easily get under her skin, and the priestess didn't appreciate it.  

Byulyi tutted at the older girl, her finger shaking back and forth from its shackled position. 

"Now, now, what did I say about scowling with that pretty face of yours? You're going to get wrinkles early," the thief replied, unable to stop the smirk that formed as the priestess's cheeks colored.  

The jailed watched the exchange with a shake of the head. Were these two brats really supposed to save the world? He feared for his safety and everyone else's as he went about unlocking the cell door.  

"No sudden moments from you, alright? I'm going to unchain you from the wall, but you're still keeping your shackles on until we're free of here," barked the jailer, his patience already used up by watching the two argue.  

Yongsun remained back in the hallway with the guard that had accompanied her and the jailer. As Byulyi came to a stop beside her, she offered the priestess another quick grin.  

"You look even prettier when you're not trying to be club me over the head," teased the younger girl, before walking past her and following the jailer.  

Yongsun hated the blush that easily colored her cheeks as she followed behind.  

"Hopefully you plan to bathe soon. You smell even worse than when I had the misfortune of seeing you earlier," the priestess shot back, not allowing the thief to have the last word. 

Byulyi had started to turn around to reply, but the jailer roughly yanked her shackles, causing the girl to stumble forward and forced to continue following him.  

"Not another word from either of you, or I'm throwing you both into the pit," the man snarled, glancing at the pair to see them quickly nod that they would remain silent.  

----- 

Byulyi stretched and rubbed at her aching wrists once they were finally outside. The jailer had returned back to the prison, and the guard accompanying them went to wait at the front gate. This left the two girls together by themselves for the first time since the incident earlier. Byulyi took this opportunity to really study the girl in front of her. The way her cheeks had a soft chubbiness to them, the gentle curve of her jaw, the mole above her left eye that incidentally matched the one above Byulyi's right, and the way her dark eyes had a kindness to them, even if they were currently staring at the thief in annoyance.  

Yongsun felt unsettled by the thief's intense gaze and shifted uncomfortably.  

"Why are you staring?" she quietly asked, her fingers unconsciously rubbing over the sun emblazed on her hand.  

Byulyi didn't answer, and instead reached out to take her left hand with her own marked right hand.  She could see that their brands complemented each other. The moon and sun, silver and gold, reflected back at them in a shimmery joke.  

Yongsun quickly pulled her hand back, troubling thoughts forming inside her once again, as she made her way towards the exit. "Moon Byulyi, you are to meet me at the gathering hall in the next two hours. The guard here will you to where you'll be staying," the blonde girl turned to say, before exiting in the direction of the cathedral with another guard. 

Byulyi stood there watching until she was out of sight. Where I'll be staying? I guess they can't expect a future hero to crawl back to her hole in the wall... A short laugh escaped her again as she shook her head and followed the man. 

The thief wasn't prepared for what awaited her at the bath house she had been escorted to. She had been ushered through a series of doors until she stood awkwardly in front of an elderly woman. Her milky eyes looked the girl up and down as if she were judging a piece of livestock to sell.  

"Tsk, I see that you'll need a lot of scrubbing to remove all of that grime. Where did you come from? A trash heap?" the old woman grumbled, her bony hands motioning for Byulyi to quickly undress.  

Blushing, Byulyi reluctantly removed her clothes before stepping into the small sudsy tub. The hot water enveloped her sore muscles, and a sigh escaped her as she leaned back against the wood. Bathing in this manner was a rare treat, and she could count on one hand how many times she had been able to do so. The local river had otherwise served its purpose as both a means to bathe and wash clothes. She found herself almost dozing off as the warmth sapped away her remaining strength, before a pair of cold hands roughly started to scrub her.  

"Ow! What the hell, lady? Are you scrubbing me with nails?" Byulyi cried out, pulling as far back as she could inside the small tub.  

A withering look was directed at the thief as the elderly woman closed the distance.  

"Hush, you brat. I'm going to make you look presentable for the crowd later. You should be thankful filth like you even managed to get selected. Only the Gods know why they test us so..." muttered the old woman, the constant scowl on her face seeming to be a permanent feature. 

Byulyi bit her tongue to keep from snapping back. She feared what this woman would do to her with the scrub brush if she upset her further. Stewing in silence, the young woman lost track of time before she was finally cleaned, trimmed, and fitted into proper clothing.  

She stared at herself in the mirror, shocked at the girl that looked back at her. Her rich brown hair had been neatly trimmed and cut just above her shoulder blades. The grime that had once covered her body had been washed away to reveal beautiful skin marred by the occasional scar that marked her arms and hands. The biggest mark of all, her moon brand, stared defiantly at her in the mirror. Silvery lines boldly staring at her as the crescent moon shimmered in the soft light of the bath house. One of the biggest changes, by far, were the fresh pair of clothes that graced her body. She had been dressed in a soft linen tunic, the white fabric complimenting the silver thread that spiraled its way along her cuffs and collar. Comfortable pants and sturdy boots completed the look, and she couldn't get over how damn good she looked.  

"Someone looks pleased," wheezed out the old woman, begrudgingly having to agree that the thief cleaned up well.  

"All thanks to you, grandma," the thief dared to tease, earning her a smack across the head. 

Grimacing, she gingerly touched the spot before the old woman swatted her out of the bath house. Stepping out of the humid building allowed the thief to draw in a deep breath, relishing in how... good she felt right now. Despite the brush assault she endured, she had been well taken care of, and had never felt better physically. It was amazing what good bath and fresh clothes could do for someone's mood. A genuine smile warmed her face as she was escorted to the cathedral once more. 

Byulyi's good mood was short lived, however, at the nasty looks that were directed her way by the nearby nobles. They all knew who she was now, and apparently none were too pleased at having their house overlooked in favor of some lowly street rat. Byulyi stared back defiantly, daring them to do something.  She knew enough about the story of the Branded that the general populous were to open their doors to the pair, and not interfere with their journey. This, however, apparently wasn't enough as one man openly spat at her. 

"It's a shame that the Gods felt the need to pull this cruel joke on us," the man complained, his face a mask of barely contained fury. 

"Look at poor Sister Yongsun over there. She belongs to one of the leading houses, and yet here she is, fated to endure this... thief," a nearby woman whispered to the man beside her.  

Byulyi felt her ears burn in anger and embarrassment as she followed the guard to the other side of the room where Yongsun awaited. Upon reaching the other woman, the thief wasn't prepared for the priestess, as her eyes quickly devoured the white silk dress she wore, golden thread weaving small sunbursts along her shoulders before twirling down her sleeves and disappearing into the cuff. Her long ash blonde hair was free of the braid she wore earlier, and fell down her back in luscious waves. Byulyi knew she was staring, but didn't particularly care until the man beside Yongsun coughed politely. The middle-aged priest offered the thief a warm smile and a slight bow of the head. 

"Moon Byulyi, I presume? I'm Father Jaesoo, the head of the cathedral here," he said, his demeanor one of calm and stability.  

The thief tore her eyes from Yongsun to look up at the man beside her. She offered a polite bow before glancing back at the girl next him. She grinned to herself when she realized Yongsun was continuing to stare at her in surprise. Apparently, the priestess was quite beside herself at the sudden change Byulyi went through. A beautiful blush stained the priestess’s face again when she noticed Byulyi waggle her eyebrows at her, and she quickly looked away.  

"Ahem, if you'll allow me to introduce the pair of you to the citizens..." Father Jaesoo continued, unperturbed by the two girls. 

Ushering them forward, the Father turned to address the crowd. 

"My dear people, we are gathered here today to witness the miracle of the Brand being formed on two lucky individuals. Our dear Sister Yongsun, who has dutifully served the Church for the past nine years," he held his hand out to Yongsun to step forward, as the crowd cheered loudly for the young priestess.  

For the first time Byulyi saw a smile appear on the older woman's face, and she decided she quite liked that look on her. Yongsun practically glowed much like the sun brand upon her hand as she bowed respectfully to the crowd. The temperature in the room drastically changed when it was time for Byulyi to step forward. Boos, hackling, and harsh words were roughly thrown at the young woman as she gave a curt bow. Fists clenching, she began to back away when she heard a young girl cheering her on in the back. Her eyes swam over to the spot, noticing Hyejin for the first time. The other thief offered her the biggest smile she could muster, hands waving frantically in support. Someone tried to hush her, but she just yelled even louder. 

"You're a hero, Byulyi! I can't believe it!" Hyejin shouted, feeling incredibly proud for her friend.  

Warmth spread through Byulyi at the sight, and she found herself smiling despite the barrage of nasty words still directed her way. As she stepped back, she could feel Yongsun's eyes on her from the side. Glancing in her direction, she could see how the priestess's brows furrowed, and a mixture of conflicting emotions crossed her face. Byulyi wondered what she was currently thinking, but now wasn't the time to ask.  

Hushing the crowd, Father Jaesoo sternly addressed the nobles in the room. 

"It’s disappointing to see how full of hatred some of you are. Moon Byulyi is destined, along with Kim Yongsun, to save us all, and this is how you treat her? She is no less a person because of her station in life. I advise that you all pray for forgiveness tonight, and allow this young woman to do what the Gods have chosen for her," the Father preached, his admonishing look settling on the crowd.  

Angry murmurs could be heard as the crowd was being ushered out by the cathedral guards. A deep sigh escaped Father Jaesoo as he turned to face the two young women. 

"There will be a dinner tonight to celebrate, and the King has requested your presence first thing tomorrow morning," the priest explained, a comforting smile warming his face.  

"Thank you, Father Jaesoo. Shall we head to the dining hall now?" questioned Yongsun, her eyes once more taking in the sight of Byulyi before falling upon the Father.  

Byulyi smiled again as she noticed the little looks the priestess kept directing her way. How she wished she could read her mind right now.  

Father Jaesoo shook his head, as he motioned for the two young women to follow him. Leading them down a side hallway, he continued on in comfortable silence until stopping in front of a lounge used for formal guests.  

"I know that you live here, Sister Yongsun, but please remain here with Miss Byulyi until we're ready to call for you," he replied, giving the two women a deep bow before excusing himself.  

Silence suddenly filled the room as the pair took a seat on opposite sides from each other. A soft fire crackled in the ornate fireplace on the far wall, filling the silence with soothing pops and cracks.  

Byulyi looked over at Yongsun, watching how the older woman stared at the fire, the warm glow softening her features even further.  

"Do you always stare at people like that?" Yongsun asked, her tone light, but a somewhat defensive edge tempering it.  

The priestess turned to stare back at Byulyi this time, an almost all-consuming quality reaching between them as they watched the other. They remained like this for a moment before Byulyi cleared awkwardly.  

"I do when I see something pretty," she teased, attempting to ease the weird tension in the room. 

Yongsun's face was unreadable as she searched for something inside the thief's eyes.  

"And do you find me pretty, Moon Byulyi?" the priestess questioned, her brows raising in curiosity as she continued to watch the thief. 

Byulyi laughed then, a warm and pleasant sound as her eyes crinkled.  

"I believe we've already established that, Sister Pretty Face," the thief admitted, her voice full of mirth. 

Yongsun's guard wavered a little, the barest hint of a smile tugging at her lips before turning away from Byulyi once more.  

"Yongsun," the priestess said simply. 

"Hmm?" Byulyi hummed back. 

"My name is Yongsun. Please call me by that," the blonde asked, before looking back at the dark-haired girl. 

"Of course, Yongsun, my apologies," the thief smiled in response, pleased at how the other girl's eyes softened slightly at hearing her name.  

"You clean up nicely. I hardly recognized you when you arrived earlier," Yongsun said quietly, her eyes once more roaming over Byulyi in a silent study. 

Byulyi perked up at this and learned forward in her chair, her arms resting lightly across her legs.  

"I noticed you staring at me earlier. I'm glad that you liked what you saw," she teased, enjoying the way the other girl easily blushed and quickly looked away again.  

"Yah! If you're going to act greasy like that, I'll save my compliments for someone else," Yongsun said, cursing how warm her cheeks felt. 

Byulyi stood up then and crossed the room to the other woman. Yongsun stared up at her like a trapped mouse as the thief placed her hands on either side of the chair the priestess sat in, effectively trapping her there. Leaning down, was close to her ear as she whispered out, "At least you noticed," before smirking and stepping away, very much aware of how Yongsun shivered before swatting at her. 

Yongsun was thankfully rescued by Wheein then, as the younger girl gently knocked on the door before entering. Once again, the acolyte wondered what sort of situation she had stepped into. Yongsun looked flustered and was pressed deeply against the back of her chair, while Byulyi stood above her, a mischievous look plastered across her face.  

"I uh, um.... I came to fetch the two of you for dinner," she stuttered out, wondering what was going on with those two. One minute they're trying to kill each other, and now there's this weird tension in the room. Were all Branded people this weird?  

"After you," Byulyi waved for Yongsun to follow Wheein out first, grinning at the frown directed her way before following the two priestesses out of the lounge and to the dining hall.  

----- 

That night Yongsun lie sprawled out in her bed, a flurry of feelings intertwining within her mind. She didn't know what to think about being selected for the Brand, she didn't know what to think about this massively important quest she was about to undertake, and she definitely didn't know what to think about Moon Byulyi. That girl got under her skin in more ways than one, and she found herself constantly on the defensive around her. That irritating smirk of hers, those eyes that seemed to peel back Yongsun's guard with ease, and that silver moon brand of hers that so perfectly complimented her own.  

Yongsun felt completely overwhelmed by everything that was suddenly expected of her, and wondered if dreaming for such a thing had been the best idea. Her family had attended the dinner that night, and her mother had been so heartbroken at finding out a thief of all people were to be her daughter's companion on this dangerous journey. The Branded were often used as a way to unite noble houses, and that certainly wasn't going to happen with some orphaned thief.  

Rolling onto her side, she stared out the large window that opened into the night sky. The moon was full this night, the soft light of it spilling down upon the troubled girl.  

Are you taunting me even now, Moon Byulyi?  

With a huff, she climbed out of bed and promptly closed the curtains. The fabric was still gripped tightly in her hands as she pressed her forehead against the glass of the window. How could so many things go wrong so quickly? How could her childhood dream turn into a complete joke? How could she face her family after this was said and done?  

They were proud of her for being chosen, but saving the realm was a two-person job, and Byulyi was just as important to the cause as Yongsun was. A fact that her family had despaired over the entire dinner, constantly shooting the thief hostile looks. Yongsun had sat with her family, but couldn't help the twinge in her chest she felt when she saw Byulyi eating more or less by herself, weathering the angry looks constantly directed her way.  

It hadn't been her fault for being selected, and beyond the disappointment, Yongsun did feel bad that the other girl was being treated in such a way. She couldn't imagine how she felt about being charged with saving people who treated her so poorly. A heavy sigh escaped the priestess then, the tension in her body causing a headache to form as she crawled back into bed. Tomorrow they would see the King together, and from there their journey would begin.  

----- 

Byulyi had been overjoyed at the amount of food she had been allowed to eat at the dinner. She couldn't remember the last time she ate until she felt like she could burst. The thief was so pleased at being able to eat such delicious food, that she completely ignored the nasty string of comments directed her way. She wasn't dumb, and knew all the haughty looks and angry murmurs were about her. She didn't know what they expected her to do, though. It wasn't like she could directly contact the Gods and ask them to revoke her Brand and pick some rich fool instead. She was just as stuck with this as they were stuck with her.  

In-between shoveling food into the endless pit of her stomach, she managed to steal a few glances at Yongsun on the other side of the dining hall. The priestess sat beside her older sister with the same ash blonde hair as her, an angry looking woman who had sent Byulyi more than one displeased look, and a regal looking man. She found the older girl frowning more often than not, and wondered what it was her family had been discussing with her. Whatever it was, it seemed to weigh heavily upon the blonde girl. 

Byulyi sighed at the unpleasant thought as she looked back down at her plate. Yongsun didn't seem like a bad person. Sure, she had knocked Byulyi unconscious, but the thief had attempted to steal from her. She couldn't really fault her for that. Shaking her head, she focused her attention back on her plate, and ate until a food coma threatened to claim her.  

The thief once again wondered what she had done to deserve this as she snuggled deep into bed. When was the last time she even slept in a bed? Had she ever? Her "bed" back where she and Hyejin lived together consisted of an old crate she had thrown a ripped piece of sail over. Her poor back was thanking her for having something soft to sleep against for once. As the thief laid there, her thoughts wandered back to the younger girl sleeping on her own broken crate back in their little hovel.  

She worried about Hyejin, and if the other girl would get by without her. Byulyi had found her alone, crying on a dirty side street 8 years ago. Still a child herself back then, she did the best she could for the young girl at trying to survive the harsh reality they found themselves in. Neither had known who their parents were, and living on the street had been their entire life. 

Byulyi hoped she could make an arrangement with the cathedral to offer Hyejin some kind or support, or allow her to at least give the girl some money or supplies before she left. There were other abandoned kids they kept an eye on, and with Byulyi out of the picture for the time being, it would be up to Hyejin to watch them.  

Perhaps Wheein would be able to assist her. The priestesses were supposed to help the less fortunate, after all, and she seemed to be of the same age as the younger thief. Byulyi mulled over these thoughts as sleep threatened to claim her. She briefly wondered what Yongsun was thinking about in her own bedroom down the hall, hoping whatever her parents had said didn't disturb the girl too greatly, before finally being lulled to sleep.