Hopeless

Roses are red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Chaeyoung’s POV*

---

”What about the guy who chased us?”

Jimin was trying to climb over the tall fence, figuring out where to put his feet. He swung them in the air and collapsed back against the fence, making a loud thumping sound. I quickly glared behind us

”I took care of him”, he said, failing again in a new attempt to throw his feet over the fence.

”How?”

”Let’s just say he’s not coming to senses in a few hours at least”, he groaned.

I looked back again. ”You knocked him out?”

”Well, yeah.” Jimin dropped back on the ground and turned to me, wiping the dirt off of his palms. ”I had no choice.”

”Are you sure he’s not dead?”

”Why do you care? He just kidnapped you-”

”Yeah, I noticed don’t you worry. I just mean… he’s a human too, you can’t just kill people like that-”

”He’s not dead”, Jimin assured, locking his eyes with mine. ”Okay? I checked his pulse.”

”You checked our kidnapper’s pulse?”

”Ye- jesus what is wrong with you? Yes I checked his pulse because I-”

”What if he had just pretended to be unconscious and grabbed you while you were hovering above him? Did you think about that?”

My paranoia was driving me insane. Jimin looked at me like I had already lost my sanity. I raised my brows at him. ”Keep climbing!”

”I will if you stop distracting me!” He called and turned back toward the fence. ”Although I think I can’t do it.”

I let my eyes rest on the gigantic fence in front of me. It looked impossible to climb over - even by Jimin, who seemed to have some sense of how to climb over obstacles such as the one before us. His body looked like it had been built for extreme things like this. I think even I couldn’t get my leg as high as he could.

”Should I try and lift you?” I asked, arching a brow.

Jimin looked over his shoulder. ”You can’t lift me”, he said under his breath.

”I’m stronger than I look.”

”Your legs are the size of my wrist, Rose”, he talked back. ”If you want to cause more harm, that’s a way to do it.”

”Then you lift me?”

”I- I can try but…”

”But?”

”How would I get on the other side then?” He turned back to me his eyes examining mine for a few seconds. Then he shook his head. ”Nevermind, let’s do it.”

I stopped for a second to think. He was right. There was no way I could lift him on the other side if I was already there. And he couldn’t get over by himself. We were supposed to get out of here together.

”No, let’s think of something else. There has to be another way out.”

”What about the way where the van came in? Surely it didn’t go over this fence.”

He had a point. But where there was a way out, there were also the guards. The guy had to have some allies. He couldn’t have possibly ran this business all by himself.

Jimin looked like he was having the exact same thought process as I. ”That’s probably where the others are.”

I nodded. This place had to have some sort of security system. Since this was the only runner’s exit, there were probably cameras all over the place. I looked up, and immediately noticed one at the corner where we had been hiding after my breakdown. My knees began to tremble again. ”What is this place…”

”Looks like an old factory.” Jimin’s eyes found the camera I was looking at. ”They must already know that we’re missing.”

I stared at the little red light on the side of the device, that was monitoring our moves. Jimin was right. They were probably already on their way here. And we were trapped against a tall fence. ”We have to go.”

”Right.” Jimin started taking long steps towards the way we had came. I followed him, trying to keep up with his speed. We both stopped when we saw the unconscious man lying on the ground. His temple was bleeding on the asphalt.

”So that’s why you checked his pulse”, I mumbled, staying close to Jimin. He glanced at me, but nodded slowly. The man looked upright dead. If I hadn’t known that he was indeed breathing, I would’ve thought it was a corpse. So pale and still he was.

Suddenly an idea crossed my mind.

I hurried to the body lying on the ground and knelt next to him. Then I started to go through his pockets.

Jimin rushed behind me, clearly unaware of my intentions. ”We don’t have time for this.”

”What if he has a phone!” I hissed, worried that the man would suddenly wake up and strangle me to death. I ran my fingers around the band of his trousers and his shirt. Then something solid hit my palm. Eagerly, I removed all the layers on top of it, and in a second I was holding a small, ancient phone in my hand. Jimin’s eyes lit up.

”Yes! You’re a ing genius-”

”I know. Now, quickly, dial the emergency number.” I gave him the phone and stood up, beating all the dust off of my legs.

Jimin’s fingers were steady on the buttons. His eyes fidgeted between me and the phone.

”Come on”, I hurried.

”Yeah, yeah.”

”Drop that phone.”

Both Jimin and I froze.

That voice belonged to someone else than him and I. And it didn’t sound friendly. The trembling in my knees began instantly, taking me right back to the moment behind the corner, where we should’ve stayed.

We should’ve stayed hidden. Why had we stopped in the middle of the road? Why hadn’t we just taken the phone and ran somewhere safe? I blamed myself quietly in my head. Jimin was still holding the phone, but he had stopped pressing the buttons.

”Drop it”, the voice ordered again.

I looked at Jimin. The voice came from behind us. Behind him. I was too scared to move.

What if he had a gun?

Would he shoot us?

Was this how I was going to die?

Slowly, Jimin bent forward and placed the phone in front of him on the ground, next to the unconscious man’s head, that was bleeding on the street. 

And when he straightened up, I saw the dark pipe of a gun being pressed against his head. All I could see was a hand, holding it.

”One false move and his pretty face will be all over the street.”

Jimin stared straight in front of him.

I felt my whole body trembling.

I couldn’t get my eyes off the gun.

I had seen them in movies and I’d held fake ones so many times that I would have recognized them even in my nightmares. This though, this gun was nothing like the ones I had held in theaters and auditions. It was a real weapon. Pressed against Jimin’s head. A sob escaped my lips.

Then with a swift movement, the gun was smacked against his head.

Jimin’s body fell on the ground, limp as a sack of flour.

My arms twitched toward him, but I stayed still.

The man’s last sentence was still lingering in my head.

One false move.

If I made just one wrong move -

”You, turn around.”

Slowly, I my heels and became face to face with a tall emotionless man. He seemed young, but the look in his eyes was ancient. ”If you run again, I’ll shoot him. I can promise you that.”

A nod. That was all I was capable of.

I watched in terror, as the guy cuffed Jimin’s legs and started dragging him behind him. Without a say, I followed him.
We were gettin out of here together. 

I wasn’t going to run as long as that emotionless man had a gun in his hand. It wasn’t an option.

---

We were brought into a huge hall-like space, filled with all sorts of vans and trailers. The man with the gun left Jimin’s unconscious body lying on the dirty floor while he went to fetch something from one of the trailers. I immediately squatted down next to him and checked his head wounds, making sure he was still breathing.

”Y-you’re gonna be okay”, I stuttered, while holding his head in my hands.

The air in the hall was freezing. I could feel all the hair on my body stand up. Jimin’s skin felt hot against my palms.

Jerking my head around, I scanned through the open space, looking for other victims like us. But the hall was surprisingly quiet.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter