BREATHLESS II

Sail The Ships

 

"You are smiling again, Sung Jiyeon."

It's been a month since I met Daisy and going to the bookstore every weekday afternoon and walks home with her. It's been a month already since my everyday routine messed up.

It's not boring at all and it actually makes me want to see and be with Daisy even more.

Gosh she got me addicted to her!

"Yeah, and she's lost somewhere again."

"More like someone."

"Ouch!" I glare at Hyebin who flicked my forehead. Come on, I am thinking of Daisy!

Her smile, God her smile. Damn, I already miss her.

"Why did you do that? That hurts."

"To bring you back in reality my friend."

"Are you inlove?"

"What?"

"Cause that would only be the most logical and reasonable reason to think why you're smiling like crazy these past weeks."

Oh come on, "I always smile."

Nayun sneer at me, "No you don't Sung Jiyeon." What's with the full name basis?

I like the name Jane, specially when it's Daisy saying it. Gosh, my name sound so good coming from her lips.

"Awww. Stop hurting me, Hyebin!"

"You're smiling again! Do we need to register you in a mental instution?!"

Seriously?

"So who is this person?" Taeha asked while sipping her juice. Great, all eyes we're on me now.

*******

The bell chimes as Daisy smile looking at the table clock. She already know who it was.

"Hi Jung Ahn." A cheeky smile meet her. This guy knows alot about her and it makes Daisy uncomfortable.

She don't know anything about him except his name is Yuto. But the guy seems to research about her.

One day, she was so surprised going home and found him in their kitchen eating and talking with her mom!

Yuto go to the same school as Jane. Her mother said, Yuto said he is her friend.

Daisy smiled back. Trying to hide her disappointment.

"Good afternoon oppa."

Yuto comes to the store everyday too.

"I read the book you recommended. The best point for me was when she need to shoot him because it was her job. I can't imagine how hard it must be for the woman. What do you think Dais?"

Yuto sit on the chair provided infront the counter and face Daisy.

Yes. He reads the book! He's been losing sleep reading books this days and he had to make reasonable reasons just to see Daisy everyday.

"If you're the girl, what would you do?"

Yuto rest her face to her hands, looking at Daisy admiringly. She feels awkward. Yuto have been so vocal about his feelings for her. She knows Yuto likes her.

But Daisy don't want to hurt him and she can't like him back.

"She don't really love her." She deadpan.

The young man took out the said book and look at the pages.

"But in the page 57, she said she love him and considering the odds, she even give her all to him."

He show the page to Daisy as he noticed the girl was not looking at him. She just keep on staring at the door.

Yuto knows who she waits for.

"Dais?"

"Oh?"
Wow she's so pretty even when she's startled. Yuto thought.

The word pretty is so overused but it fits perfectly with Daisy.

"I said, the woman in the book said she love him."

"Aahh.. I mean, if she love him, why would she shoot him?"

Daisy tries to focus on him, she don't want to be seen rude but at some point, she's down and disappointed. She miss someone, a dork.

It's time, why is she not here yet?

"Because it needs to be done, it is her job remember? Dais you're really not paying attenti-"

The bell chimes and come rushing in is a panting and sweating Jane. She leans on the counter as she catches her breath, blinking several times.

She never fails to amuse Daisy with her entrances.

"You're late." She pouts but she's happy to see her.

"I'm sorry my friends was grilling me with questions and they won't let me go easily without answe-"

"So Dais, page 68 is the best part for me. Where she tried to shoot herself too after shooting him. I mean, that's so stupid! Don't you think so?" Yuto steals the spotlight.

Jane look at the owner of that male voice and her anger boils immediately.

Him again? Why do he always need to be here almost everyday?

"Excuse me, she's talking to me!"

Jane blurts out and Yuto stare at her back with hostility.

"She was talking to me first before you came barging in, disturbing our conversation."

The two was exchanging looks when Daisy spoke.

"Unnie come here, aren't you excited to know what happen next?"

Jane smirks at Yuto as she walk over the counter and sit beside Daisy.

Yes, casanova. I am winning this!

She put both of her hands on the counter and rest her face in there between her hands, acting cute.

"Am I forgiven for being late?"

Daisy smile prettily at her that even Yuto was in awe because of that smile.

"Ofcourse. Now settle down Jiyeon, I'm gonna read to you what happen next."

And here folks is where Jane's habit of staring and admiring Daisy starts.

Daisy is so precious, so lovable, so admirable, gosh .. Jane is sending help to heavens right now! She don't think she can still fight her feelings anymore.


"Ugh Dais... what do you think is the plot twist in this book?" Yuto tries again. Giving up easily is really not in his vocabulary.

Jane snorts. She was in trance and got disturbed by that voice again.

Seriously though? Why is he still here?

Daisy stop reading for awhile and averted her gaze to Yuto, smiling sweetly that the poor guy almost fell off of his chair.

"Oppa, I'm really glad you consider my recommendations. That's so sweet of you but can we talk some other time?"

Some other time? So they will meet again? That idea doesn't calm Jane's annoyed cells!

"Can I come back tomorrow?"

Daisy nods. "Ofcourse, the store is open and will always welcome you oppa."

"Great. My mom learned a new recipe too. I'm sure you're mom would love it. I will teach it to her. And please tell her I said hi and I will come by at you're house tomorrow."

Daisy just smiled and nods. She feel someone glaring at her.

"I'll go now. Take care Jung Ahn."

Though disappointed, Yuto flaunted his perfect smile to Daisy and glare one last time at Jane before leaving the store with a heavy heart.

"Uhmm.."

Now that Yuto is gone, Daisy awkwardly smile at Jane who is currently glaring at her.


Jane is so mad right now! Like so mad!

So that guy's been going to Daisy's house?! And he was friends with Daisy's mother! Jung Ahn?! Dais?! Jane don't like to curse but what the !

Daisy even smile at him the way she smile at Jane!
 

And here I am thinking I am special!

"Why do you look so mad?" Jane wants to punch her. Daisy can be so insensitive sometimes, it annoys her.

"He's been going to your house?" Daisy nod.

"So he already meet your parents?" She nods again.

"He likes you?" Daisy thinks this is awkward but she nods anyway.

"And that's why I am mad!"

Daisy holds her chest. God, Jane startled her.

Jane saw Daisy's reaction. She tsked.

She needs to calm herself.

"And stop smiling at him like that." She said, earning a confuse and adorable look from the young girl. "What?"

"Stop smiling to other people like that, you'll make them fall for you."

Jane avoided Daisy's eyes.

Her heart is racing because of rage and at the same time, she feels like confessing. Oh my god, how long can she handle this?



"Is it working to you then?" Daisy kid when she recovered from Jane's outburst. The tall girl froze.

She sit straight up, breath and prepare herself to look at the young girl.

Forget it, she literally stop breathing at the view infront of her.

I'm already whipped Daisy.

And just like that, Jane woke up one morning and decided that she can't deprive herself anymore of the things that makes her little heart happy.
Lovely things like loving Daisy.

The bell chimes.

"Jane? Why are you here?"

Jane leans on the counter, holding unto the book Daisy has been reading for her. She show it to Daisy.

The store just opened and it's just them currently.

"What? It's not Saturday nor Sunday today and it's definitely not the time you normally go home from school..wait."

"No way! Don't tell me you skipped school? Jiyeon!.."

Daisy tried to look furious but in Jane's eyes, she failed miserably. Daisy is cute without even trying hard. She's pretty naturally.

"Daisy I.."

"What did I told you about skipping school Jane?"

"I.."

"It's bad skipping school!"

"Daisy please hear me out."

The girl's attention was on her now. Jane breathes.

"I excused."

The young girl's brows furrowed.

"Why? Are you sick? Let me touch you're forehead."

Asdhfjks.. How can you not fall for her when she's this caring and lovable?

Daisy was about to reach for Jane's forehead when the girl took her hand and intertwined it with hers.

"I want to see you." The older girl sincerely said.

"That's not valid!"

Yeah she excused saying in her letter that she's sick. Well it's true tho.
She's love sick.

"Aren't you happy to see me?"

"I am but.."

"No buts Daisy. Now read the next chapter for me please?"

Daisy roll her eyes. What can she do? Jane is already here anyway and it's not like she can change her mind.

Jane is very independent for Daisy. She's rich but she never rely on her riches. And she admire Jane for that. She have this sense of individualism.

"You're not sitting beside me?"

Jane shrugged. "I'm fine here."

Plus I can look at you fully.

***
*Jane POV*



"           Triggered by the thoughts of somebody else's owning her, I muster all bits of courage left in me to look at her and finally confess. It's not late right?

'Sydney..' she turns her head and at the same moment my world stop turning. Her deep blue eyes flickered along with the fire and I am in awe at how perfect she is in my sight. God, I really love her.

'Yes Jacob?' My heart beat faster that I thought it will break from working too much. I turn my attention to the sea, calming myself.
          'How do you tell someone you love them?' "

"How do you tell someone you love them?"

Daisy averted her gaze from the book to me when I said the words the same time she reads it in the book. She's surprised.

"You already read it?" She asked.

"Just continue reading it please." I plead. She smile kindly and nod.



"             I didn't hear immediate reaction from Sydney but when I look at her, she's looking at me deeply. 'No, Jacob. You dont tell them, you show them. You show them to the point that they'll know. Until they know.'
She comb her hair with her fingers as she broke our staring game and smile awkwardly looking above.

This is my cue. 'So do you already know?' "

"Do you already know?" I said the words the same time with her again and Daisy look at me, she laughs lightly.

"You're funny, you already know their conversation. That's cheating Jane."

I ignore her and continue reciting what's in the book. " 'Do I already know what?' She question. 'That I love you.' "

"See? You already read it!"

"I love you, Daisy."

"You ask me to read it but you already know what hap- what?" Her eyes grow wide. Confusion wash over her.

"I love you." I softly said, "Daisy."

She awkwardly laugh while hitting me playfully. "What are you doing changing the name, the character's name is Sydney."

So she will keep on denying this? Me confessing to her? Fine.

I lift myself, cross the counter and planted a soft, short yet sweet kiss unto her lips.

I hear her let go a deep breath. Charming.

"I said I love you. You Daisy, you. I love you."

Her face changed.


The once smiling face was now change into an anxious expression.

Am I being rejected today?


"Can i love you?" I took advantage of my still confident self and ask it. But she shake her head vigorously, now tears starts to fall on her eyes.

"Y-you can't."

"Why?" I hear my heart breaking.

"I-i can't.."

"What do you mean Daisy?" I tried to reach for her.

But she step back and suddenly fall on the floor.

Panicked, I run over to the counter and saw her controlling her breath while holding her chest. She's shaking and crying. What the heck is going on?

Did I scared her? What is happening?

"A-are you okay? I'm sorry I surprised you. Daisy? What's happening to you."

She's close her eyes and her face is getting paler and paler the moment pass by. What is happening to her?!

I hug her. She's so weak and light in my arms. Her breathing become fast and difficult. And she's cold.

Why is it so hard for her to breath?

"Help!"

I don't know what's happening but I don't have a good feeling right now.

"Help! Somebody h--help us.. please." I cried. Daisy is nearly losing her consciousness. I shake her to keep her awake. Her breathing's becoming minimal now.

I'm getting scared.

"Daisy? Wake up please... Help! HELP!"

"What hap- oh my god Daisy!"

The store owner took Daisy from me, and carry her to her car. Everything happens so fast. Daisy is shivering and her breathing, god her breathing.

"Can you hold her?"

I nod, tears starts falling from my eyes.

I sat on the back, putting Daisy's head into my lap carefully, caressing it.

She'll be fine right? She's getting paler!

We drove off to the town's hospital.

When I saw Daisy being pushed to the ER, my anxiety worsens. She is not alright.

We waited outside.

"What happened?"

An adult couple came and talk to the store owner.

I know them, they're Daisy's parent.

They're already crying and seeing them cry made me cry even harder. This is my fault!

I saw the owner hug Daisy's mother.

"Unnie, she'll be fine. She's strong, remember?" The woman nods while sobbing inside her embrace. I am so lost and my fear is getting bad as minutes passed by and I don't know if Daisy is alright

Moments passed and we're all getting anxious outside. I close my eyes and pray that whatever is going on, Daisy will be alright. Oh please. Make her alright God.

"Are you Jane?"

A woman, Daisy's mother spoke and sit beside me. I nod at her.

She give me this motherly smile, caring and warm. "Our Jung Ahn talks alot about you."

I smile at the thought of Daisy talking about me.


"Eversince we came here, she always have this smile on her face. I know it was you whose making her smile." Daisy did that? Come on, why did I never once thought of visiting their house when I know where it is?!


"She really likes you." Hearing that, I sob.

"Thank you for making her happy."

She cried with me. I feel so guilty. I already have an idea on my mind on what's going on but I don't want to entertain it. Please.... oh God please.. I didn't spent that much time with Daisy yet. I still have to make her feel my love.

I cried harder. Daisy is in there because of me!


"I'm such a bad friend."

"It's not your fault." I stare at her. There is no hint of blame or rage in her eyes while looking at me. But it is my fault right?

She take my hand and hold it tightly, comforting me.

I should be the one comforting her but there she is...

"You actually made her live longer." Smile creeps into her lips. And I just broke down when it confirmed what I have been thinking this whole time.

No..

"Maam." The doctor smile sadly to her parents. They broke down too.

"We need to prepare ourselves."


******

I chug the whole bottle as tears rolls down on my cheeks. Hyebin's hand caress my back. They've been so silent since they came here and it's so rare for them to do that.

No one wants to talk. I look at them and they we're all looking at me.

I laugh.

"What's wrong with you? You all acting strange!"

I laugh again but I saw Nayun quickly wiping her tears and look away.

What is wrong with them?!

I stand up and dance funnily trying to hype them up but they stay still. Nayun was now hiding her face in Taeha's shoulder.

Yeonwoo hug Nancy. Ahin was staring at me, tears b in her eyes.

I glare at them.

"Why are you all crying? Come on, hype up. Let's enjoy the night!"

I run to the restaurant attendant and ask her to turn the music up, she look at me and obliged.

I dance with my all. In the middle and in every table. I can feel everyone looking at me but I didn't care. I dance and dance and dance. In a restaurant!

"Hey Hyebin, join me!"

I frown when I already saw them sobbing. I walk back to our table and face them.

"What is wrong with you all! Why are you c-crying?!" My voice broke and the pain in my heart increased.

Why are they doing this? They're always hyper, why are they being stuck-up now? I need them to be hyper!

"H-hyebs come on.. you're not the one who says no to foods! Eat that all up."

"Yeonwoo, Nancy! You two supposed to be dirty dancing right now, let's go." I wipe my tears away. They cry even harder.

"Ahin? Come on.. there's alot of foreigners here, I don't understand what they're talking they might be talking bad about me. Translate it!"

"Guys..? Jooe?" I go to Jooe and drag her in the middle. I start dancing her famous dance moves.

"Come on dance with me, show them what you got girl!"

She run back to Hyebin and cry in her arms.

I sigh. What the is wrong with them?

"W-what is wrong with you all?" Seeing them all cry makes me cry too. Suddenly it becomes harder to breath.

I know I've been crying the whole time. I know I look stupid right now. I know I've been fooling myself. I know and I tried to be alright...... but it hurts. It ing hurts.

They all stand up when they saw me breaking down to the ground. Bunch of arms put me into their embrace. We all sobs.

Why? Why are they like this? It's so sad. I- I don't know how to accept it.

"I-it hurts...." I cried.

They all broke down with me, caressing my back. "We know, Jane. We know."

"Please.. don't take her away. I-i .. I love her Hyebin unnie. I love her so much. I- I don't know how to help her."

***
*Hyebin POV*


She never calls me unnie. The thought make me cry harder.

We all know Jane was visiting that bookstore everyday and that she likes her.

The night after the girl run away from us, we secretly followed Jane and saw her entering that bookstore.

The next day, we go to the bookstore while Jane was still having her last subject. We talk to her.

She apologizes for running away and we finally got her name. We like Daisy the day we saw her. Ahin and Nancy was actually so hype knowing Daisy is from the states too. They got close easily.

One time, we we're able to go home early and visit Daisy.

Strangely, she was not on the counter.

We heard some grunts and we found her on the floor in between the bookshelves along with the books scattered around.

She was so pale then and was having a hard time breathing. She look at us and was about to cry. Daisy mumbled bag and we immediately give it to her.

She took out some bottles of capsules and pills, gulp it without water and we all watch her from afar so that she can get a good amount of air as she recovers.

I look at the tablets and search it online.
Our hearts broke when we've come to know the medicine she's taking is for the heart.

Daisy cried and begged us not to say anything to Jane. I was mad but when she kneeled infront of us, we promised not to tell anything.

We know somethings wrong with her heart but we don't know it was so bad not until we are seeing Jane right now.

I know Jane will be so heartbroken. I've always know her to be the strongest one emotionally but seeing her breakdown?

 

 She must have loved Daisy that much.

*****