BREATHLESS I

Sail The Ships

 

*Jane POV*

 

"Aishhtt."

I hissed as I desperately wipe away the rain in my already dripping uniform.


Why does it has to rain on the very day I forgot my umbrella? Great. Just great. And my damn car is coding!

"Jane are you sure you'll be fine?" Yeonwoo asked, concern was so evident in her voice. Oh look at this woman.

"I'll be fine, Yeonwoo. Just go."

She offered a ride awhile ago but I kindly decline.

Nancy got admitted yesterday and I know how worried Yeonwoo was, she's going to the hospital today with Nancy's sister and my house is not on the way.

I really hate being a bother.


"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I've been telling you since awhile ago. If you don't go now I might think you like me base on your persistence." She look at me disgustingly, I chuckle.

"Just go already and send my regards to her."

"But.. but you're already wet. I can drop you of-"

"You said it, I'm already wet. I'll be fine. Don't worry about me."


She's still not convince but she nods anyway when I give her an reassuring smile.
Yeonwoo is that one caring friend we all have. Well, all my friends are. And if you have friends like them, you're lucky.

God, I'm not this sappy I swear.

"Can you just call your driver?"

I glare at her. She knows how much I hate bothering people and depending on them. I'm really fine on my own.


"Fine. Fine.. Miss Independent! I will go now. And remind me to choke them with their neckties tomorrow for leaving you behind."

I give her a low laugh as I wave her goodbye. She was talking about our friends, well, I choose to stay late ..so.



Now what am I gonna do?

Thunder rumbled and rain is pouring heavily but it's not like I am not drenched yet.

Plus I really hate the sound of thunder, gosh I need to go home fast!

So I make a run for it.

Next stop will be that bookstore that has a close sign already.

Some stores closed early because of this rain.

"1..2...3...go!"


I run as fast as I can but when I needed to stop, I'm not controlling my feet anymore.

The door was pushed strongly, the bell chimes and I slided through the tiled-floor until the store counter that's not far from the door stop me. It was over my chest high.

Ugh.... I thought it was close.

But it has a close sign? Okay obviously it's not close yet.

I feel a pair of eyes staring at me. I look over the counter and was met by a girl in ponytail wearing a white-knitted cotton sweater and a mouth wide open? Oh her ears peeped out, how cute.


"Ouch." I muttered while smiling awkwardly at her. My chest hit the counter awhile ago when I didn't make a stop. Yeah such a late reaction but gosh, I run too hard!

Seconds passed by before she decide to break the ice.


"Uuuhhh..?" She trailed off. "I'm sorry we're clos- oh my god, are you okay?"


I didn't see her but she ran around the counter to my side.

I massage my . Ouch.
Again!

Heck I just tried, ok?

I already did a dumb entrance and all I want to do is to atleast make a cool impression by standing cooly but I forgot my shoes was soaking wet and yeah...

I slipped at the puddle I created inside the store. Bookstore.

I'm such a gawk!
So much for being cool Jane!

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry I startled you. Does it hurt?"

'Ofcourse, it hurts. I ing slip first, are you stupid?!'
I would've said that words if she's a different person but with her, strangely my y-ness is not working.


Cause she's cherry and cute I mean.. She seems nice and adorable and there is something in her that's drawing me in. But I don't know what it is yet and I don't know why I'm feeling it.

Is it the rain? Like you know there's something sulfuric on it that affected my brain? Ahh whatever.

But yeah she's cute. I touch my chest, why in the world is my heart beating fast?

What is this conspiracy? I only met her for like a minute!

"Hey.."

She attended sitting down to level me while rubbing my back. Her eyes is full of worry and they are staring right into mine.

God, she's so close I can feel her breath fanning my face.


This is the first time I let a stranger get this close to me and this is also the very first time in my life, that I was dumbfounded by someone else's presence. And intimidated!

I feel like a stupid statue sitting there on the floor, wet and looking back at her in awe.

Who is this woman giving me foreign feelings? How can she be so beautiful and cute it's almost unreal?

But is she real? Why am I'm seeing an angel on earth? Gosh, look at those ears.

"Ouch." She softly and cutely whimper. She laugh at me.

Wait?

Did I just pinch her ears?

"Ofcourse I am real."

Oh my god, I did!

Seeing how her ears became so red! And my hands are actually still there pinching it.

I stood up fast and bow to her.

Gosh, that's so dumb! This is so not me!

I bow repeatedly until she stop me, smiling warmly. "It's alright, stop it."

While she hold my shoulders, I stood still. She's smaller compare to me but I think our height gap is cute. What?

"You're soaking. Aren't you cold?"

"I-i'm fi--"

"Daisy, you're mother is already looking for you. You can go home now, I'll close the store."

"Neh auntie."

A woman in her 30's in which the girl called auntie came and she run back to the counter.

She took out her umbrella and her pastel blue long coat. Oh I love pastel colors.

"Here, wear this." She offer her coat.

Before I can even say no, she already took my hand on it, making me wear the coat like a kid she's dressing.

She gather my hair and let it down on my back.

"That's better. I hope it helps, are you still cold?"

I shake my head deligently.

And now that I noticed, I haven't said any words since awhile ago. Oh my god, what's happening to me? This is sorcery!


"Where do you live?"

She beams innocently and I had to keep myself from smiling back. I fiddle with my fingers and look down, if not I might pinch her ears again.


"The b-block downtown. S-second house."

Where is your confidence Jungyeon, why are you suddenly stuttering?!

"Great. It's on the way, I can walk you there."

She open the store's door, the bell chimes then the sound and coldness of the rain surprised her, she shivered.

I was about to take off her coat when she stop me.

"No..no it's okay, I'm not cold. I was just surprised. You need it more than me."

My grasp on her coat tightened. But...

She smile at me again. Why is her smile so warm?

The kind of smile that goes perfectly with sunshines and rainbows and unicorns. God, i'm so childish!

"We can share an umbrella. Come here."

This is not good.

I am telling you all in advance, this is so not good!

I just met her but I already and will willingly surrender immediately to her commands.

I'm smelling brewing trouble. I am a very self-reliant person, I hate taking orders from others and I don't like depending but...

I walk to her and we both walk outside the store, cold wind blowing and harsh rain is pouring.

We start walking on the side of the road and since I am taller than her, I took the umbrella in her hands. She look at me.

I never melt this fast in my whole boring life!

"I-I just thought it's hard since I am taller.."

What? Did I just say that? What if she understand it the wrong way, like I am telling her she's short?!

"N-no I mean, it would be easier if-"

She put her finger into my lips to hush me. My heart beats faster than normal.

Then there's her warm smile again.

"Thank you."

Okay, it's confirmed. She's giving me tongue-tieds and erratic beatings, I am not fine with it.

Yeah maybe I am a noob with that thing but I know what this is I'm feeling. Like I am already looking forward on seeing her tomorrow! And that 's crazy!

We walk in silence.


I want to talk but I can't find my voice and everything I say seems to be so stupid, so I don't want to risk and embarrass myself again. I remained silent.

I glance at her.

She's a little pale but she seems to be at peace as she smile, looking around.

She suddenly look back at me, I catch my breath.

Why does she have to do that?! My heart just skip a beat there.


"Come closer, the rain is still dropping on you."

What? I know the rain is still pouring on me.

I am just making sure the rain won't hit her, it doesn't matter if it pours on me. I'm already wet inside her coat anyway.

"It's oka-"

"There." She step closer and our body was so close, rubbing against each other.


I tense when she wrap her arms around my waist, putting her hand inside the pocket of her coat.

I need to calm down! Like right now!

I need to regain my compose and confident self. There is no way I am losing it for this girl!

I heard her sigh. I look at her and I think I just saw a sad expression right there for a moment.

Why?

We continue walking in silence but strangely for strangers like us, it was comforting and peaceful.

I guess I am the only one awkward and nervous, she's so calm she reminds me of the ocean.

Gosh, that's so unnecessary.

I sigh seeing my house.

Suddenly I wish my house was farther than where it is usually located but it's not...

"I'm here."

She look at me then to our house, then back at me. Her smile never leave her lips.

"Oh. That was fast."

Can I just pretend that this is not my house? I want to walk longer with her.

"Goodafternoon Miss. You should've called the driver to fetch you."

Our guard told me as he opened the gate behind us.

"It's okay." I replied shortly. I don't want to intimidate the girl I am with. Alot of people don't want to talk to me and befriend me because they think I am a brat just because I am rich.

That's why I am really grateful of the friends I have right now, they ignore that conception.


"I'll get going then. I'll see you around?"

I nod and give her the umbrella.

She starts to walk away but I am forgetting something.

"Hey. Your coat."

She turns around and gosh she look like shooting a commercial in the middle of the rain. Everything is on point!

It's funny how the world put into a slowmo and everything is in blur except her.

I blink.

That was so cheesy.

"Keep it."

She starts walking again. What?

" What? he- wait. Wait!"

She's slowly getting far so despite the loud sound of the rain, I shouted at the top of my lungs.

"Thank you!"

I watch her until she was out of sight, fading. I sigh as I hold at her coat tightly. She's real.


"Mom, I'm home." I heard she's home today from a meeting abroad. I didn't wait for a reply as I run upstairs into my room.

I took of the coat and frown when it's already wet too.

The sweet scent coming from it hits my nose... literally intoxicating me.

Her coat smells just like her.

"You're already ho- what are you doing with the coat, hugging and sniffing it while grinning like crazy honey?"

I drop the coat. What the heck?

I am enjoying that moment!

I glare at Mom as I pick it up carefully, dusting it off and hanging it in my closet.

"Do you really have to do that Mom?!"

"Who's coat is that? I'm going to wash it, it's wet-"

"Don't touch it, Mom!"

"What?"

"Promise me you won't touch the coat!"

"What are you talk-" "Just promise me!"

"Fine! I promise!" I smiled at her. That's it, she promised.

"Who's coat is that by the way?"

"It's a secret." I hug her and push her out playfully while grinning. Gosh, I might tear my face muscles at this state, I can't help smiling.

I've been so cheesy since awhile ago but thank you so much rain!

I should stop bringing umbrella anymore.

Oh wait, I never bring one?

"What are you doing sweetie?"

"I'm pushing you out."

"Jungyeon." I chuckle

"I'm going to take a bath, Mom." She face me and pinch my cheeks.

"Aww. You're blushing. How cute. I must met this person."

That's it. I close the door and lock it. No way, I am not blushing!

"Stop baby-ing me!" I heard her laugh outside. Psh.





Turning off the shower, I wrap the towel in my body. It took me an hour inside the shower, can't help it. Her smile is imprinted in my mind and everytime I look at my mirror, I am also smiling remembering her.

That's it! I need to see her tomorrow!

I open my closet and my sight landed to her coat.

I want to wear it, I want to keep on wearing it. God, her scent. Her scent is addicting.


Her--wait. Her? Her?

Oh my god!

I didn't get her name!

Dan-ny? No. Then Dairy? Oh that's weird. Dains?

Ugh!

What is her name?!

"Jane honey, you're friends are here!"


********
*3rd person*

Insects fly around the streetlamp and Daisy was amazed at how they are attracted to the light when it can burn them. Maybe they don't know it can hurt them.

She holds her heart.

It is the 3rd time they moved to another place.

She feel burdened and sorry for her parents.

But this town is more progressed and advance than where they last settled.

"Daisy, it's cold outside. Come here."


The rain stopped hours ago and it's 9pm as Daisy quietly sit on the bench under a lamp post. She find calmness in watching the moon and stars above her after that heavy rain awhile ago.

Remnants of it was still there though, creating a puddle on some holes of the road.

"Yes mom, just give me sometime, please."

Her mother smile at her.

"Fine, just come in when it's getting late and colder okay?" She nods as she put her hands on the pocket of her coat.

Her coat. She wonder who is that girl awhile ago.

She's new here in the neighborhood and Daisy already love the place.

It is love at first sight actually.

She love that she's working on the bookstore, oh how much she loves books!

She also love how the stars is so full in the sky at night, how she can face the moon, and how she feels so well here. People are nice as well.

And she would love to go to the school here too but she just can't..


The young girl close her eyes and feel the wind, succumbing the tranquility of her surroundings.

Not long after being serene, she heard giggles not far away.

Daisy open her eyes and she saw a group of ladies in their skateboards. They are laughing and was goofing around.

Hitting each other and their voices so loud it's almost echoing in the silence of the night. The next town might be able to hear it.

She smile as she watch them. Daisy likes watching happiness.

She's admiring them from afar when a skateboard run infront of her.

A tall girl was running behind it, chasing the skateboard when she saw Daisy.

Daisy look at the woman as it was also staring back at her that it forgot to look at where it is going.

The young girl wants to shout and warn the girl but no words came out as Jane was now hitting the lamppost, creating a colliding sound.

Insects flies away but comeback again.

Daisy hold her chest, grasping it. Jane was now on the ground, holding her hurt forehead.

"Ow." The tall girl growls. Floor and ground loves her today. God it will create a bump tomorrow!

Dammit, of all that's in her body.. why does it have to be a part of her face?

She winch when she touch her affected forehead.

Daisy don't know what to do.

But one thing is sure, she remained seated.

The tall girl look at her. She was in pain but she hides it when she saw Daisy looking at her.

Why do I always have to create a scene everytime I see her?
A scene that involves hurting myself and looking like a dumb fool infront of her?! Aishht.



"Aren't you going to help me stand or atleast ask if I'm okay?" Jane don't know why but the throbbing pain in her forehead is giving her confidence.

It's the annoyance of being hurt, I guess.

Jane look at Daisy hopefully.

The young girl struggle to find that voice in as she said her sentence, stuttering. God her heart was still beating so fast, that surprised her!

"A-are you okay?"

Jane just smile and shake her head as she get her skateboard and stand, facing the young girl.

"That sounds forced."

"I'm sorry." Daisy beams at the tall girl now that she recovered from the shock.

"It's you again. You like hurting yourself, don't you?"

Jane smile and scratch her head shyly.

Ugh. Now her is wet because of that puddle!

Jane frowned and when Daisy saw that, she panick.

She grab the girl infront of her, stand and hold's Jane's face to check on her forehead.

Damn, their face is so close.
Jane is holding her breath again!

"It must be so painful."

"I-i'm fine."

But she's not looking at the young girl.

Woman up Jane!

"W-what's your name?"

There, I did it. Yes!

The young girl smile at her and it's really brighter and warmer than the sun.

"I'm Daisy and you're?"

"Jane."

Jane beams wider at her when their hands connect. Gosh her hand's so soft. She thought.

" S-so this is your hous-"

"Jane what's taking you so long?"

"Oh?"

"I'm seeing a pretty girl, that's answers why."

"Is she new?"

"Wow, she's pretty."

" I think she's new."

"Unnie. Unnie~ let's be friends with her."

"Ooww. She's so pretty and cute. Im befriending her."

"You just want to be her friend because she's pretty?"

"Shut up Nayun, and pretty girls should be friends with pretty girls."

"I can't believe you."


"What's her name? What's her name?"

Jane shake her head as flood of questions and remarks came to her and Daisy's way. Her friends is sure loud.

However, Daisy was overwhelmed at the crowd of 6 people infront of her.

Her heart starts beating fast and her eyes was losing it's focus from all the motion and happenings infront. Fear was consuming her.

"What's your name?"

And she do the defense she usually do when she feel like she's in danger. Daisy run inside.

"Daisy get inside, it's getting col-"


Daisy run past inside, surprising her mother. The middle-aged woman look at the place her daughter was sitting awhile ago and saw a group of women standing there looking at her apologetically.

She smile at them and close the door.

Jane turns to her friends and glare at them.

"You're all so loud, you scared her!"

Her friends gather infront of her and bow playfully while saying sorry. Jane chuckles at them.

God, she's friends with crackheads.

She throw one last look at the house again as they continue walking.

Why did she run away?

Atleast she got her name.

"Did you got her name?"

"No."

Hyebin look at her incredulously.

"I can see you're lying through gritted teeth."

Jane chuckled.

"Well, you should've know her name too if you guys were'nt so loud."

Jooe whines. Yeah, she's the loudest.

"That's really not fair."

"I want to be her friend."

"And she's really pretty." Everybody nods in agreement.

"I hope she will go and attend at the same school as ours."

They we're talking about Daisy as they arrive at the small restaurant where they're going to eat. They only stop when the food is served.

But Jane was still thinking of her.

Daisy. What a beautiful name. Just like the flower, she's beautiful.


*****
*Jane POV*

"Can you stay still, why are you so agitated staring at the clock?"


I ignore Hyebin.
I've been ignoring everyone since the clock hit 10 minutes more to dismissal.

My feet is so itchy to go to her and I'm fiddling my fingers impatiently as I look at the clock. It's 5 more minutes now but it seems so long.

God, I want to see her. I wish she was still in that bookstore, she's still there right?

Why am I antsy just to see her?

Right. I am just curious.

*ring~~~~~~~*

I jump and took my bag, exiting the classroom.

"Yah Sung Jiyeon, where are you go-"

There goes my running again that I don't care about the students I bump into. I just want to see her, right now!


I made it infront of the bookstore but I still needs to cross and I'm tapping my feet impatiently.

Come on, turn green already!

I cross a second before it turns green and run inside the book store, to the counter.

God, I've never been so excited and eager to see someone.


"Goodafternoon Daisy..." I smile at her. I've been mustering confidence since last night so that I won't be a stupid pathetic infront of her again today.

"Unnie?" I frown. Unnie?

"Unnie? When did you start calling me that?"

"You're older right?" She looks at my senior uniform. Well..

"I'm only 20."

"Then you're my unnie!" She gleefully stated.

Psh. I don't want her to respect me...wait what?

"I'm just kidding, it's just my way of asking for your age. You're a year older by the way."

What? This woman is trolling me.

"Should I call you Jane or you want me to call you unnie?"

The latter is really disgusting I mean, yeah it's respect but I cannot imagine my younger friends calling me that.

"Call me Jane."

"Alright Jane, why are you here by the way? I don't think you're lost again and it's not raining outside right.?" I glare at her and she chuckle.

Oh my god, are you hearing this laugh? It's like a music to my ears.

"I would like to acknowledge you're entrance too, it's not as entertaining as the usual entrance you do. Don't tell me you're getting old."

She.is.teasing.me! How dare this woman make fun of my embarrassingly moments!

But she is so cute. Ugh.. she laughs again.

I love it that she's laughing infront of me. She's so cheerful.

"I'm sorry, I'll stop now. Why are you here?"

Okay.. why am I here again?
What should I tell her? Should I tell her I came here because I want to see her so bad?

That will definitely scare her! She might think I am some creepy stalker or something.

But why am I here?

I look around a grab the book from the nearest shelf.

I hope this will be an effective excuse.

She look at me then to the book I am holding, she look back at me again and smile.


"Wow, good choice. I like that book too."

Really?

I look at the book. No way!

Okay, the picture seems like this book will be one of those cheesy and clichè romantic story.

I wanna slap myself, God I hate books and I hate sappy, clicheś. There's no way I am doing this!

"I'm not busy right now, do you want me to read it to you?"

Okay I change my mind, I am doing this! Definitely doing this! God bless me today.

I nod vigorously.

Ofcourse I would like to hear more of her voice and probably stare and admire her in the process.

What?

"Yes yes yes, ofcourse. Please read it for me!"

I hope I don't sound that excited!

Daisy chuckles and her eyes form crescent.

I think I am going crazy. She's so down to earth I think I already said all the beautiful adjectives there is to describe her.


"Come here."

She motioned me to sit beside her over the counter. I waste no time as I quickly dash inside, sit beside her, put my arms on the table as I lean and stare at her.

I don't care if I am blushing like a smitten highschooler right now! I just want to look at her.

I can stare at her forever. We can be like this forever. Please make the time stop. If only I can stop time.

She glance at me one more time, pet my head before focusing on the book.

She need to stop being so adorable and making me fall for her! This is flirting in an adorable way!
Meh.


Her lips start moving and her voice is so placid.

"                 Lightning flickered followed by a loud rumble of thunder and rain roughly falling on earth is also the time I got lost into you. I was annoyed then but that annoyance fade as you came into the view.
There, standing at the bus station waiting for your ride, holding unto the pink umbrella, our eyes first acquainted and unknowingly, I hold my breath. Lost.."

Lost. I didn't hear the rest of it anymore as I was lost into staring at her. Everything in her screams prettiness and charm.

The way her tongue flicker as she say the words. The way her lips moved when she speak. The way her expression changes. The way she is perfect.

Find and go get yourself a woman who can do cute, pretty and charismatic auras effortlessly.

How can somebody be this admirable without even trying?

I'm giving in and my last wall crumbles.

I think my curiosity upgraded to like. But it doesn't feel new at all or like starting to like her. It feels more like picking up where we left off kind.

You know, I feel like a part of my soul already like her since the beginning of everything. Maybe we are from the same star.

Like our soul know each other and recognize it the first time we met. Soulmates.

I can clearly remember a book saying soulmates are rare and it's 1 of 10000 chance. You have to live 10000 lifetime first before you can find one. Maybe this is my 10000th life.

Cause really now I won't deny it.
I like her.

"            I like her. Oh god I like her eversince the day my eyes acquainted with hers. I like her and it don't feel new, like I already like her in my past life. I like her like how moths like fire.

Liking her doesn't really need alot of reason. I just simply like her, the way she is.

But when she open to say the next words, I had to hold unto the railings to prevent myself from falling. Though I know I am already fallin deep. 'Jacob? Can we be friends?' She said."

"Jane?"

"Jane!"

"Yah Jane!."

"Oh? Oh? What? Why?"

"Am I really that pretty?"

"Yes."

I saw her blush.

Well, honestly she is more than just pretty.

"You're not paying attention" She sulks. Oh I just want to squeeze her, keep her in my pocket and bring her home.

"I am listening. They became friends." Lie.

Friends is the last word that enter my mind and I thought she said something like that, she did right?

"They're not friends yet but they will be. I guess you're listening."

And she's lying too. I know she's just saying that so that I wouldn't feel bad or guilty for not listening.

What can I do? She's too good to look at. And admiring.

"Why did you stop reading, we are in the most beautiful part." What do i know? God, I wanna punch myself.

Now she may think that I am taking advantage of her. But I want to look at her more.

I'm so creepy.

"Sadly it's 6:00. I need to go home." She stood up and put on her gray coat.

She likes coats. I noted in my mind.


6 oclock? I am staring at her for about an hour already? Time flies so fast!

I want to be with her more.

"Can I walk with you."

I saw her face light up. "Ofcourse!" is it just me or she sounded happy there?

Liking someone can make you delusional right?

Oh , there I said it again. I like her already.

I like Daisy. Oh my god I like her.

 

Mom, I finally like someone.